Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Day the Earth Stood Still - Remake

Starius

Practically Family
Wow, this blows my mind. I'm not sure I'm totally happy with yet another classic movie remake.... but I am excited to see a modern reimagining of Gort on the screen. I'm just a fan of movie robots, I guess. I hate the Lost in Space movie yet I always watch it when I come across it just to see the Jim Henson Creature shop version of the Robot.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hocus pocus it is absurd, this.

Lord, isn't there ANYTHING new coming out of Hollywood except remakes and sequels?

I will say that there is a potential for a "new" message;) Instead of "get along and quit nuclear aggression"; it could be something like "stop your Global Warming" or we'll turn the Earth "to a burnt out cinder."lol lol Oops, that would just hasten the problem, no?:eusa_doh:

Oh, I never did find the logic in the original movie where a supreme race comes to Earth and, although they have the ability to "make the Earth stand still", they still resort to threats to burn us out if we don't comply!!

Couldn't they have just made everything stand still, then leave quietly? Oh, and they made trains, planes in the sky, operating rooms..etc. not stand still. So it appears they had "selective powers".

Sorry, don't mean to nit pick a Si Fi classic. In the remake, I bet the special effects would be spectacular, opening this movie to a new generation of viewers.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It was to be expected (the remake). I dont think his is a bad actor. Not an artist of his craft, but hey, thats a lot to expect.

We should be more worried about the script and producers. They will determine the soul of the story, or weather it is gonna be a crappy action movie or an ode to the original and the intent the film was suppose to have.

LD

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I find it interesting how remakes for a while were codemned, but now people are beginning to not mind. Over time.....they won't mind.....that's their plan.....

Doh!

One Too Many
Well, it's about damned time! The original is so... black and white... well-acted... and nicely directed...

Today's youth deserve worse, by gum!

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Let 'em do it! War of the Worlds has been done several times and I don't think any one was massively better or more classic than the rest. How many times have we seen Invasion of the Body Snatchers reincarnated now?

Day the Earth Stood Still has a catchy concept that should work well in later storyline eras. These old sci-fi flicks were pretty poor originally with mostly B grade actors, poor script dialogues, and lousy special effects.

They may be campy but not classic to the degree of enshrining them as examples of cinematography.

Flashs_Ship_movie.gif

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I agree with some others here, Reeves should be Gort. I love the original film but somehow I'm feeling trepidacious about this remake.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Reeves may do a passable job of it. He did pretty good in Consantine and he made a decent serial killer in The Watcher. He doesn't have to be to emotional, just deliver a specific message and convince the masses.
Now, hopefully they won't make Gort to elaborate. Simplicity is the key. Sure, he can have the laser eye or maybe pop off an EMP but any other extranious weapons and utilities should be hidden under compartments in the body.
So, this may be an interesting rendition or a complete bucket full of spoon fed drivel. Hopefully the screenwriters will be good.

Cheers!

Dan

Shearer

Practically Family
The only screenwriter listed in Variety for the film is David Scarpa, who wrote the Robert Redford flick, The Last Castle. I didn't see the movie so I can't pass judgment on that... [huh]

The director listed co-wrote and directed The Exorcism of Emily Rose, and is in production on a film adaptation of Milton's Paradise Lost. Interesting!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
DanielJones said:
Hopefully the screenwriters will be good.

I agree DanielJones, the script will be crucial for this one. The message was a big part of what made the original film so good. I hope they don't turn it into a Hollywood shoot-em-up.

I'm reserving judgement on Reeves--I hated him in Much Ado About Nothing but he surprised me in A Walk in the Clouds.

Doh!

One Too Many
Keanu is perfectly suited for the Matrix movies AND if you've ever seen River's Edge, he actually started out as a pretty good actor.

I'm honestly not against remaking this; I just hope they don't muck it up. Of course, if they do I'll just watch the original on DVD again.

Starius

Practically Family
I have a confession to make, guys.

A bit of a guilty pleasure, if you will.

You see... to be completely honest with you... well, I'll just say it.

I love the Bill & Ted movies.
It's true, I really really do. I'll watch em whenever they're on tv.

That being said, I can't think of many other Keanu movies I like. Speed? Blah... that surfing FBI agent movie? Don't even go there. "The Matrix," you ask? Oh, don't even get me started! I liked that movie the first time I saw it... when it was called The Dark City! Not to mention the fact that the whole concept of a "virtual world in a computer called the matrix" was allready done in Doctor Who in 1979.
Though, honestly, I was a fan of the Babes in Toyland tv movie... "Cinci-whatski?!?" Ah, but I digress..

So, what I'm trying to say is.... unless I'm terribly repulsed by the previews, I will likely end up watching this in the theater.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Basically, as long as they don't botch up the screenplay and make it a shoot fest it should be alright. Time have changed so the theme of the message will be a tad different, but I think the core story should remain the same and keep the ramped-up special FX to a minimum. Then and only then will they do it justice. Keanu Reeves isn't too horrid of an actor that he won't be able to somewhat replicate the character. And I agree, yes he was the skunk in Much ado about nothing, but I don't think that Shakespear is his forte. And as long as they don't overdo Gort, they should be pretty safe. The screenplay will be every thing. if it stinks the film will stink.
Look at 'Timeline'. The book & story was fantastic, but they butchered the screenplay and totally ruined it. It will always rest in the hands of the screenwriters on whether or not it will be a good film, even with mediocre acting.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails