Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Decline and Dissolution of "Society" & my Grandmother

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
You nailed it DAJE. I couldn't have said that any better myself. IMHO for what it's worth, sometimes the only way to do anything about the situation is get out of its way and try to avoid getting caught up in it. That may mean moving to a better neighborhood, joining a synagogue, church, mosque or whatever you please, joining a different social group or any activity where the people involved share your same values. Who knows, with strength in numbers, maybe there will be enough of you together to make an attempt to do something more feasible and successful.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
I'll add that in addition to writing about the lessons your grandmother taught you, why not also lead by example? Mentor a young cousin or neighbor and teach them these valuable things that most of the rest of the world has forgotten. Heck, they don't even have to be young....plenty of middle aged folks could use the lessons too!

lframe

One of the Regulars
Chas said:
Agreed. Live by example.

My Grandmother is the voice in my head. Whether it is how to act, what to say, or how to do things. She has lived a good long life and is so well-respected. I learned from her and am working to pass those same values along to my son.

laszlochi

New in Town
Weston said:
She took to it like a duck to water - her desire in life was to be a part of polite society. The house, built to specification by my grandfather in a lovely postwar neighborhood, overflowed with Ethan Allen furniture and Emily Post books. In a way, a happy female version of Dick Whitman, she escaped an unhappy childhood to rise into "the big time". Her time was occupied with become a genteel person - writing notes to those she loved, sending flowers when appropriate, getting stationery, putting social notices in the paper and entertaining people in parties at home for husband's business.

Her pride in life was not what she had, although she loved her furniture (I have it still), but in her place in society and being a responsible, respectable person.

My first post, and I must say I couldn't agree more. I didn't come from a rich, nor powerful family. However, my family taught me one simple principle that still sticks with me today "Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto You" ... I oscillate between anger and depression when I see the way people treat each other. By putting your boot on someone's throat and then yelling at them for "not changing their situation".. it causes both of those emotions in me.

In all my dealings I strive to be fair. I go out of my way to help people. If someone on the street asks me a question for simple directions, I actually do stop and take off my ipod earbuds and try to help them. I see too many people who now are in their own "personal capsules" who won't even give ANYONE the time of day.

I'll continue to be nice. It doesn't give me a smug sense of superiority when I do help people, but it feels like it should be the right thing to do, it comes almost natural.

Good topic
-lc

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
What also gets me is that there are so many people who will gladly stab you in the back for a few extra dollars and then say, "it's not personal, just business". I remember a guy who I went to college with. His idea of getting ahead was to steal your cllass notes a week before a big test and then return them to you after the test saying "I found this. Is this yours?". He'd cut your throat for 3 points higher on a test. Same thing with the private sector. If you don't watch over your shoulder, there's someone there to nail you to the wall. If they can take advantage of you, they do so willingly and then everybody blames you for your problem because you weren't aggresive enough and didn't do it to them before they did it to you. :rage:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Silver Dollar said:
What also gets me is that there are so many people who will gladly stab you in the back for a few extra dollars and then say, "it's not personal, just business". I remember a guy who I went to college with. His idea of getting ahead was to steal your cllass notes a week before a big test and then return them to you after the test saying "I found this. Is this yours?". He'd cut your throat for 3 points higher on a test. Same thing with the private sector. If you don't watch over your shoulder, there's someone there to nail you to the wall. If they can take advantage of you, they do so willingly and then everybody blames you for your problem because you weren't aggresive enough and didn't do it to them before they did it to you. :rage:

Sadly, I'd say this has probably been going on for centuries and not just in the last 40 years or so. There are always going to be those who are more than willing to step on their fellow man/woman to get ahead in life.

Chas

One Too Many
A few years ago there was a great deal of interest in Sun Tzu and Machiavelli's writings when it came to conducting business; the problem is that most business people who study The Art Of War or The Prince don't discern whether the situation warrants applying the principles.

Discretion, discretion, discretion.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
AmateisGal said:
Sadly, I'd say this has probably been going on for centuries and not just in the last 40 years or so. There are always going to be those who are more than willing to step on their fellow man/woman to get ahead in life.

I'm sure Julius Caesar would agree with you in a heart beat. I guess the Cain and Abel thing tells the story too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner