Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Denim Thread: Questions & Answers, Pics & Fits

majormajor

One Too Many
IMG_7156.jpg

Cool look, Dinerman!

My Lee Union Jacket is blanket lined, so I wear it without a jacket underneath.

But I just got an old Can't Bust 'Em Union Jacket,so I may follow your lead on that one. Winter is a'comin....;):D

Ishmael

Practically Family
Hi Ishmael

I find the Japanese mail order sites pretty inpenetrable. I have found one site in reasonable English, with the prices in UK£. They look to be transposed straight from the tax-inclusive Yen price, with shipping costs added.

So I guess the only way to get them over here is to "pay through the nose". Ah well;)

They're difficult to decipher, even for me, and I read the language. I'd suggest that, if you ever need anything, go through John Lofgren at Speedway (site link provided previously). He has quite a bit of stuff, including some Lees, and I think he is willing to hunt stuff down, to some extent, or maybe able to point you in the right direction of an honest and efficient retailer. And he is totally against Japanese retailers charging sales tax on goods destined to overseas buyers.

majormajor

One Too Many
They're difficult to decipher, even for me, and I read the language. I'd suggest that, if you ever need anything, go through John Lofgren at Speedway (site link provided previously). He has quite a bit of stuff, including some Lees, and I think he is willing to hunt stuff down, to some extent, or maybe able to point you in the right direction of an honest and efficient retailer. And he is totally against Japanese retailers charging sales tax on goods destined to overseas buyers.

Sounds good. Thanks Ishmael;):D

majormajor

One Too Many
A nice Wrangler denim, there, Dinerman.

I acquired a very nice selfedge Wrangler jacket back in around 1969. The owner wouldn't sell it, so I gave him a Levi's Cowhide jacket in exchange. Seemed sensible at the time, but now, I reckon I was stupid.

I later gave the Wrangler away. Even MORE stupid!:eeek::eusa_doh:

Edward

Bartender
Turns out I have a few photos here and there....

Prison Blues, standard 1950s cut jeans. Non-selvedge, 13-14oz denim, zip-fly (I prefer buttons, but it's not a deal breaker). I wore these before washing (in photos they have about two years' wear and half a dozen machine washes). New, they were as I recall a bit larger than the labelled size, then snugged down to it with the first wash. I also have a pair of the work jeans somewhere (same basic cut, but with the hammer pocket down the back of the thigh, plus I had the option studs for braces). Both a little small for me now so will have to be passed on, but I'd consider them again:

22540_295977117259_2776237_n.jpg

22540_295977072259_2032583_n.jpg

Selvedge jeans from Soldier of Fortune UK (possibly a WPG product). Button fly. I bought these second hand but unworn from eBay for about twenty quid. Nice jeans. I prefer a wider leg and the waist is about an inch lower than ideal, but pretty good overall. New price is about fifty quid, which makes them well cheap for what they are:

IMAG0906.jpg

About nine months ago I picked up a pair of Freddie's of Pinewood men's 1940s jeans. Full price is about GBP75.00 (the most I'd ever consider shelling out on a pair of jeans. I'm sure the Ironhearts et al are lovely, but I just couldn't justify that sort of money on them), though I got these (and later a second, as yet unworn, pair) on sale for about £40. Selvedge, button fly:

IMG_20120715_161557.jpg
IMG_20120321_110241.jpg
423708_10150560534782260_377356100_n.jpg
429470_10150560526502260_1549898619_n.jpg

These are absolutely my favourite jeans, ever. I'm toying with the idea of picking up a pair of their 50s cut jeans, but I'd much rather have a pair of the 40s ones sans the braces studs and back buckle (so they can be worn with a belt instead). The 40s ones just have that wider leg I prefer. I often laugh to myself at how opposite my taste in denim is now from my teenage years, when I wanted nothing but black or light stonewash blue, tight as it could go.... These days I much prefer a traditional indigo denim, and to preserve that 'dark and new' look for as long as possible. Less Sid Vicious, more Johnny Strabler. ;) Any pair of jeans I've owned in the last seven or eight years has been bought as long as possible, quite deliberately, to allow for cuffs.

Also have a pair of Carhartts, but I don't seem to have a photo of those. Basic work-jeans, great wide leg, very Thirties. Nice high waist. They were originally much wider on the waist than they became after one wash (true to size, no shrinkage since).

I don't wear jeans all that often these days. No objection to them - on the contrary, I love them - but I don't wear them enough to easily justify owning half a dozen pairs as I often did when younger. Four at the minute.... At full price, I'll probably stick with Freddie's from now. If I hit the right offer, though, I'd deinitely consider Prison Blues again, also Geronimo. At the Rhythm Riot this weekend I saw the Evil Denim brand for the first time. Pretty cheap too - I didn't look too hard as I couldn't afford to spend any money on that sort of stuff at the minute, but if I see them again.... Great looking. Internet rumour has it that he got hit by Levis a while back for making them a little too well in terms of reproducing their 1937 buckleback model. Might explain why I'm having trouble locating them on Google... Did look nice, though.

majormajor

One Too Many
Here's an old Lee Chore Jacket. US Union made. Seem to be going for anything up to $500 these days. Pretty hard to find in the UK
Comes with nice Talon zips:D

leechore1.jpg

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I asked this on Denimbro, but either they don't know or don't want to be bothered with non-LVC Levi's (or other fashion jeans) questions.

When did Levi's transition from Talon 42 zippers to "Levi's" zippers?

As far as jeans go, I really only own U.S. made Levi's 20517's (Saddleman) and 517's (both red and orange tab)..about 14 pair. Some of my Levi's have Talon zippers, one pair has a YKK zipper (that looks exactly like the "Levi's" zipper) and "Levi's" zippers. Also, one pair has a Talon made 42 zipper that has "Levi's" on it.

- Ian

gaseousclay

Familiar Face
Here's a full view of the Wrangler.
IMG_0743.jpg

I came across a similar looking Wrangler denim jacket today at GW - US made. Can't recall how many oz the denim was. Left it for someone else since I'm not a denim jacket guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gaseousclay

Familiar Face
Got my Uniqlo selvedge denim today - 2 pairs for $39.90 each. My first impressions are that I like them a lot. I bought the straight fit and they're perfect - not too baggy and not too tight. They're also softer to the touch compared to my pair of Gap selvedge. The only drawback is that it doesn't have a button fly, but that's not a deal breaker for me. For starter selvedge I would highly recommend Uniqlo for the price and fit alone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if this would be considered a jacket or a heavy shirt. I do like the mix of features.

1970s? I've Google'd and dug around in the Sears catalog scans over on Ancestry.com, but have not come up with a match. Maybe it was in their western wear catalog (?).

Bob

16567092456_f1094380d0_z.jpg

16567115256_412af23926_z.jpg

16593106755_8f504d1c1b_z.jpg

16405875098_423a30ea0a_z.jpg

15973325973_02735c7449_z.jpg

15970939294_dbf9f59c4c_z.jpg

16567123446_6a20ffacaf_z.jpg

16592444382_827025104e_z.jpg

16592453782_d301917840_z.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads