Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE DERBY nightclub closes its doors forever

Campus Five

New in Town
LA - DERBY IS CLOSING - FINAL SWING SHOW EVER

During tonight's show at the Derby, we were told that the Derby, the nightclub, would cease operations as of 1/31/09. We can't say for sure what will happen to the building or any future ventures - however, we can say for sure that the Derby as we know it will be no more.

The last remaining manager at the Derby wanted to send the club off with a bang instead of a whimper, and asked me to play next Sunday to have a proper final swing night at the Derby. The Derby is one of the central reasons swing dancing made a resurgence, and we're all here dancing the dance we love.

I hope you'll all join us as we bid farewell to the club that is responsible for so much of what has become the modern Lindy Hop world.

SUNDAY, JANUARY 25th
JONATHAN STOUT and his CAMPUS FIVE
at the DERBY
for the FINAL SWING SHOW EVER

Lessons Start at 8pm
Band plays three sets from 9:00pm until midnight (although I suspect we might go until a little later)

The Derby
4500 Los Feliz Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA

I'm planning to record the show, because I suspect it will be a night to remember.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Dire news... It wasn't that long ago that the building was spared from demolition.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=5157
showthread.php

Took a while though the city made it a landmark.

I think we all need to check it out before it's swing days are over I'll be there with my hat in hand.

Thanks for posting this.

Campus Five

New in Town
Matt Deckard said:
Dire news... It wasn't that long ago that the building was spared from demolition.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=5157
showthread.php

Took a while though the city made it a landmark.

I think we all need to check it out before it's swing days are over I'll be there with my hat in hand.

Thanks for posting this.

This is literally the last swing day ever. The niteclub will stop operations at the end of the month, and that will be the last swing show.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
What time does the first set start?

What time does the first set start?

Jon

Campus Five said:
During tonight's show at the Derby, we were told that the Derby, the nightclub, would cease operations as of 1/31/09. We can't say for sure what will happen to the building or any future ventures - however, we can say for sure that the Derby as we know it will be no more.

The last remaining manager at the Derby wanted to send the club off with a bang instead of a whimper, and asked me to play next Sunday to have a proper final swing night at the Derby. The Derby is one of the central reasons swing dancing made a resurgence, and we're all here dancing the dance we love.

I hope you'll all join us as we bid farewell to the club that is responsible for so much of what has become the modern Lindy Hop world.

SUNDAY, JANUARY 25th
JONATHAN STOUT and his CAMPUS FIVE
at the DERBY
for the FINAL SWING SHOW EVER

The Derby
4500 Los Feliz Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA

I'm planning to record the show, because I suspect it will be a night to remember.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

The Derby, one of Los Angeles’s landmark live music venues, will be closing its doors forever this Saturday, January 31.

The Los Feliz nightspot, which was featured heavily in the 1996 film “Swingers” and was arguably the "birthplace" of the neo-swing movement, was popular throughout its peak in the 1990s into the early part of this decade.

For all of its shortcomings, the Derby holds innumerable special memories. Many of us took our first swing lessons there, made new friends there, and danced till the wee hours of the night. It was also a place where you could bring your non-swing dancer friends. In its heyday, it was the hippest place to go swing dancing, with its beautiful bar, spacious back room, and live swing bands every night -- including Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Royal Crown Revue, Steve Lucky, Jumpin' Jimes, Mora's Modern Rhythmists, and Jonathan Stout.

On Dec. 21, the club encountered a rare run-in with the police. A shooting took place inside the Derby, The Times has confirmed with a detective from the Los Angeles Police Department's northeast division. The event was a private gig booked by outside promoters, but two men were injured around 1:30 a.m. “inside the club,” the detective said.

It is not known what role the incident might have played in the decision to close the club sooner rather than later in 2009 (there have long been rumors swirling that the club may close). It should be noted that the Derby has operated for years with no similar incidents, hosting hundreds of shows by indie rock bands and jazz acts and holding swing nights, hip-hop showcases, drum&bass club nights and more. However, the Derby's lease was recently changed to a month-to-month contract, and apparently the landlord decided not to renew the lease.

The historic venue, one of the very few original Brown Derby restaurants, was granted City Historical Cultural Monument status in 2006 after a Save the Derby campaign; even so, the designation “does not prohibit destruction” and may only “delay it.”

The last night of swing dancing will be tonight: Sunday, January 25. The Derby's manager wants to send the club off with a bang instead of a whimper, and has asked "Jonathan Stout & His Campus Five" to play there. By all accounts, it will be absolutely PACKED. As of this writing, almost 160 people have RSVP'd, with over 110 "maybes".

So long and farewell to our dear Derby. Your glory days faded nearly 10 years ago...but from 1995 to '99 or so, what a place you were!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I think I posted this thread in the wrong section: as an ode to a time and place, it might be better located in the Observation Bar. Furthermore, I now see that two other loungers created similar --if less detailed-- threads recently. Bartenders, please feel free to remove this thread from the Events section.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

The Derby, one of Los Angeles’s landmark live music venues, will be closing its doors forever this Saturday, January 31.

The Los Feliz nightspot, which was featured heavily in the 1996 film “Swingers” and was arguably the "birthplace" of the neo-swing movement, was popular throughout its peak in the 1990s into the early part of this decade.

For all of its shortcomings, the Derby holds innumerable special memories. Many of us took our first swing lessons there, made new friends there, and danced till the wee hours of the night. It was also a place where you could bring your non-swing dancer friends. In its heyday, it was the hippest place to go swing dancing, with its beautiful bar, spacious back room, and live swing bands every night -- including Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Royal Crown Revue, Steve Lucky, Jumpin' Jimes, Mora's Modern Rhythmists, and Jonathan Stout.

On Dec. 21, the club encountered a rare run-in with the police. A shooting took place inside the Derby, The Times has confirmed with a detective from the Los Angeles Police Department's northeast division. The event was a private gig booked by outside promoters, but two men were injured around 1:30 a.m. “inside the club,” the detective said.

It is not known what role the incident might have played in the decision to close the club sooner rather than later in 2009 (there have long been rumors swirling that the club may close). It should be noted that the Derby has operated for years with no similar incidents, hosting hundreds of shows by indie rock bands and jazz acts and holding swing nights, hip-hop showcases, drum&bass club nights and more. However, the Derby's lease was recently changed to a month-to-month contract, and apparently the landlord decided not to renew the lease.

The historic venue, one of the very few original Brown Derby restaurants, was granted City Historical Cultural Monument status in 2006 after a Save the Derby campaign; even so, the designation “does not prohibit destruction” and may only “delay it.”

The last night of swing dancing will be tonight: Sunday, January 25. The Derby's manager wants to send the club off with a bang instead of a whimper, and has asked "Jonathan Stout & His Campus Five" to play there. By all accounts, it will be absolutely PACKED. As of this writing, almost 160 people have RSVP'd, with over 110 "maybes".

So long and farewell to our dear Derby. Your glory days faded nearly 10 years ago...but from 1995 to '99 or so, what a place you were!

FedoraGent

One Too Many
They wouldn't dare...

Marc Chevalier said:
I think I posted this thread in the wrong section: as an ode to a time and place, it might be better located in the Observation Bar. Furthermore, I now see that two other loungers created similar --if less detailed-- threads recently. Bartenders, please feel free to remove this thread from the Events section.

Your posting is just as valid...

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Wow....just wow. The Derby was packed...the music was hot, and the jam circles were simply amazing! I'm still processing it all.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Marc,

It was good seeing you! I saw Matt Deckard from across the bar, but was'nt able to say hello before the night was over.

Man what a night!!! From start to finish, it was truly an exceptional send-off. With Dean Mora sitting in after hours...and who was that kid on violin? Amazing jam circles during every other song....the density of people, some of whom I haven't seen in years! Simply amazing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy