Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Diamond Authority

ngodbehere

New in Town
Here’s a hat I made for myself featuring my grandmothers bandana she passed away with and some locally found feathers. I got a little experimental with the shaping.
52tS6vY
I’m still getting the hang of this hatting thing so let me know what you think.

A5CCF960-A00D-48D8-89E7-50F36B033587.jpeg

Here’s a hat I made for myself featuring my grandmothers bandana she passed away with and some locally found feathers. I got a little experimental with the shaping.
52tS6vY
I’m still getting the hang of this hatting thing so let me know what you think.

View attachment 347750

Cool looking crease. I’d like to see the hat and the crease from different angles.

The style is more bohemian than what most of us here here at The Lounge go for, but we can still appreciate good craftsmanship. I hope you share more.

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Whenever there's a choice between me and a diamond , for some reason, they always choose the diamond!
More and more, I go for the diamond crease, too. I brought 5 hats home from NW Hats on Saturday and 4 had diamonds, the other is a 50s Champ that looks like it has a factory steamed in teardrop crease that I didn't want to mess with.

I blame @40Cal and @moontheloon for the addiction. I started in on hats in 2016 and was all about the center crease....

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
More and more, I go for the diamond crease, too. I brought 5 hats home from NW Hats on Saturday and 4 had diamonds, the other is a 50s Champ that looks like it has a factory steamed in teardrop crease that I didn't want to mess with.

I blame @40Cal and @moontheloon for the addiction. I started in on hats in 2016 and was all about the center crease....
Ahh...a delicate center crease is alluring much like a well buttressed bosom.
B

ngodbehere

New in Town
Cool looking crease. I’d like to see the hat and the crease from different angles.

The style is more bohemian than what most of us here here at The Lounge go for, but we can still appreciate good craftsmanship. I hope you share more.

I suppose it may be a bit more bohemian than you are used to because I live a bit of a bohemian lifestyle. There are many hippies here in the bluegrass and Appalachian region. I call them my friends, my band mates, my family. I make hats with those folk in mind often times. If you’re not a fan of bohemian stuff than you certainly won’t like some of the stuff I’m cooking up in my tiny shop. Or maybe you will once I can get around to posting more of my work. I’d love to hear more feedback to try to hit that market of people who are after something a little more quiet and elegant and maybe find a good medium between quiet bespoke elegance and groovy fashion fit for a day at a festival.

As requested (though a little late, I’ve been super busy) here are some more photos of that hat, though I’ve modified the shaping a little bit since that first photo. I’ve also included a photo of my diamond block set I acquired from Art.

EDIT: I don’t know why it uploaded the photos upside down.

EDIT Take II: cropped down the photos and they are right side up. Thanks for the tip.

BEE1318D-63C0-4F06-9B9F-F0F7C5F8ED12.jpeg
42107074-B3ED-4E3C-BE61-4CE643287256.jpeg
EAEDD404-5E12-4DAC-A172-4481A2BB3720.jpeg
16B2826F-038A-482B-BDAE-C56B188EF768.jpeg

Last edited:
I suppose it may be a bit more bohemian than you are used to because I live a bit of a bohemian lifestyle. There are many hippies here in the bluegrass and Appalachian region. I call them my friends, my band mates, my family. I make hats with those folk in mind often times. If you’re not a fan of bohemian stuff than you certainly won’t like some of the stuff I’m cooking up in my tiny shop. Or maybe you will once I can get around to posting more of my work. I’d love to hear more feedback to try to hit that market of people who are after something a little more quiet and elegant and maybe find a good medium between quiet bespoke elegance and groovy fashion fit for a day at a festival.

As requested (though a little late, I’ve been super busy) here are some more photos of that hat, though I’ve modified the shaping a little bit since that first photo. I’ve also included a photo of my diamond block set I acquired from Art.

EDIT: I don’t know why it uploaded the photos upside down.

View attachment 349991 View attachment 349995 View attachment 349996 View attachment 349997

The more I see the more I like that crease. Outstanding!

The Fedora Lounge started as a way to discuss, share, and extol the Golden era including hats. There remains a strong preservationist and traditionalist feeling. There are enough here who like mixing in the new with the vintage, or vintage inspired, that you won’t be alone here. Hope to see more of your creations.

If you crop your photos even a minute amount the photos should post right-way-up.

ngodbehere

New in Town
The more I see the more I like that crease. Outstanding!

The Fedora Lounge started as a way to discuss, share, and extol the Golden era including hats. There remains a strong preservationist and traditionalist feeling. There are enough here who like mixing in the new with the vintage, or vintage inspired, that you won’t be alone here. Hope to see more of your creations.

If you crop your photos even a minute amount the photos should post right-way-up.

Thank you very much! This is my daily wear hat so it sees a lot of beating, and I find myself occasionally fidgeting with the shaping on hot and humid days here in Kentucky so I can just refine it a little bit more or change it from time to time (hence the extra crease since the first photo). I also love demonstrating to people that this hat can be crushed and folded with no issues with a proper talk about how over time that will eventually mess it up if one does that constantly. Of course I’m doing this constantly so I’m curious to see just how many times it can take that. I’ve crushed and folded and rolled this thing maybe about 100 times so far and it still looks just the same as the day I made it save for a needing to be reflanged a couple times.

It is my belief that one can not simply get into hatting without first having a deep love for all of the classic styles that have graced the domes of many classy people. I’ve been obsessed with hats my whole life and have spent countless hours ogling over various styles of caps and toppers in archived publications from the turn of the century.

I certainly do not want to tread on the toes of traditionalists here, in fact I would love to learn from everyone as much as I can absorb. There is always so much to learn. Your all’s individual tastes and styles are curated and particular. I like that about everyone here. I’ve been lurking for awhile but kind of too shy to post most of the time as well as far too busy most days.

To be honest with everyone here, I would not be doing this gig if it were not for a life changing traumatic injury that put me out of other career choices I’ve made. I started teaching myself how to make hats while stuck in a wheelchair and while relearning how to walk. I’ve come a far way in both my ability to make hats and my ability to walk again, but just like my forward momentum into recovery I still have a long way to go with this hat making thing. I just looked at a shop today a few blocks from where I live, I’m considering it. It would be nice to get this operation out of this little 12x12 space I decked out to look like a tiki bar and actually publicly facing. Right now these are the speakeasy days of my business with everything hidden away in an undisclosed location.

Last edited:
They told me it was going to be by the end of this month. I was told that last month as well so I’m just checking back every day. I’ve been thinking about dropping probably more than I can afford on dress weights once they are available.

Thanks. I’ll probably try another couple too. It’s nice to have a new source, a new type of felt, and new colors.

ngodbehere

New in Town
Thanks. I’ll probably try another couple too. It’s nice to have a new source, a new type of felt, and new colors.
I like the ethical sustainability of their felt. I’m a vegetarian and kind of feel weird about using fur and leather as it goes so if I can manage to keep it ethical it weighs a little less on my mind. If anyone else can point me in the right direction for ethical and sustainable fur felt I’d be much obliged, as would my customers who seem to care about that sort of thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui