Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The DINER.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It will be replaced fairly soon this this behemoth. It's two stories and no doubt provides them with a bit of extra space for offices and the like (it's the flagship of the chain), but it lacks all the charm and nods to classic design of the original location. The original is I think at this point the only "true" diner in the Silver Diner chain, as all the rest are stick built on site, while the original Rockville location was built by Kullman diners in NJ and shipped to the location in sections. This means it can be taken apart and moved if need be. From what I've heard, the Silver Diner chain will just be tearing down the diner that launched 20 years of retro- styled diners across the country and established a 17 location chain.

P1070577.jpg

CommercialRealEstate-Consumersafety.jpg

Inky

One Too Many
Here's the diner at the Gilmore Car Museum in Hickory Corners, Michigan. If you are ever out that way the museum is well worth a visit. Several big barns full of restored/original condition vehicles from the beginning of the automobile industry. Really spectacular and not to mention, this little diner is a real gem with tasty food (and great frozen custard!)

4765028793_35547d3e74_b.jpg

4765029705_8949be04d2.jpg

Here's some photos of it prior to restoration -

http://www.oh-diners.com/blue moon/41_silk_city_for_sale.htm

JazzyDame

One of the Regulars
Latif's

There's a diner-style family restaurant called Latif's in Turlock, California located about an hour from where I live. I believe it's been around since the late 1940s. It's been a favorite spot for families for decades upon decades. It gets mixed reviews, and the contemporary set who have no appreciation for the past and are devoid of any sense of nostalgia tend to shun it, but I think it's wonderful. The food is all-American, diner-style fare, and they make THEE most incredible pies (which long-time customers are known to purchase for holidays and special events, all the while fibbing, "I spent hours in the kitchen today, slaving away with rolling pins and steamy ovens...I'm a flour-y mess, but you're worth it!" while extending a famous Latif's pie to a lucky recipient...not that I'm *ahem* guilty of such a thing). ;)

Dinerman, you might be able to help me with this. I'm trying to place the architecture style, and will try to get some personal photos of the place. It doesn't have a website, but there's a couple of photos of it here:

inside-latif-s.jpg

and here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Location...s_Restaurant-Turlock_California.html#23935257

I think it may be Googie. Are you familiar with Googie? I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I've always been fascinated with Googie architecture, cheezy as it may seem to some....:eek: (For a reference to Googie, please visit here: http://www.spaceagecity.com/googie/

Anyway, it's a wonderful little locally-owned, family-run diner and I just love it! In fact, I could go for one of their generous, creamy chocolate shakes just about now...

P.S. Note the dwindling supply of freshly-baked pies awaiting pick-up, nestled snugly in their pink boxes under the counter. :essen:

We have a Fifth Wheel Diner that has been at its present location since 1946. My grandmother and a few of her friends used to go there after work or for lunch when she worked for Gerbers.
2633434.jpg

The place is always packed with people. It is a small hole in the wall but it has great food. I always expect to wait at the counter for a table.

lframe

One of the Regulars
I am in Carolina Beach for holiday right now. There is a restaurant here that I swear is an old diner.I will photograph and post over the next few days.

Also, I am going to be posting photos of my fave donut shop "Britt's" that has been in existence since 1939. There is one kind of donut and they are always served hot. The cash register is the original to the business.

Stay tuned!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
lframe said:
I am in Carolina Beach for holiday right now. There is a restaurant here that I swear is an old diner.I will photograph and post over the next few days.

Also, I am going to be posting photos of my fave donut shop "Britt's" that has been in existence since 1939. There is one kind of donut and they are always served hot. The cash register is the original to the business.

Stay tuned!

One of these?

Tripnastic

New in Town
Gordon's Stoplight Drive-in in Crystal City Missouri. One counter, 20 stools, great food. Open since 1948 and still going strong through floods, bad economies and fast food chains opening all around it!

3796314409_d7c09216f4.jpg

stipe01.jpg

Trenter

New in Town
The Shawmut Diner, 943 Shawmut Avenue, New Bedford, Ma.

4934294288_1a471fc536.jpg

4933700145_7d5e4f2c5c.jpg

4934294242_709c8dd5e6.jpg

4933700213_b632001d48.jpg

Hi all, I´ve been lurking in your lounge for ages and finally decided to start contributing to this great community. I´ll start by showing some pictures of the Shawmut Diner in New Bedford, Ma. taken last spring.

Derek Cavin

One of the Regulars
funneman said:
Anyone ever visit this landmark adjacent to Georgia Tech? The greasyest fries, the nastiest hotdogs, the poorest service and worst atmosphere!

Ride by there everyday on the bus and parking lot is pretty crowded. You should see it on weekends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21