Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The DINER.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
that's beautiful.
The burnished circles on the skins of some paramounts is enough to make your jaw drop. It's just so cool and classy. You also gotta love the curves on the roofline.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:
you've got a '50's diner graft of two diners in Wichita Falls. Tose are collectively known as the pumpjack diner.

I make it up to the Wichita Falls area pretty frequently. I'll try to visit the Pumpjack next time I'm up that way, and take photos.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
some shots from the most recent diner trip.

Amherst diner exterior

IMG_4882.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The Snow White Grill in Winchester. Not technically a diner- but pretty dang cool, and it had sliders, so I was happy.
IMG_4917.jpg

IMG_4912.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
There was just a show on the food network about diners, drive ins and dives, and guess who was in a few of the shots? Me.

They did some of the filming at the Bayway diner up in Linden, and they zoomed in on me, maybe it had something to do with the hat, or with the fact that I was stuffing myself with a chili dog. Anyway- I thought it was pretty cool.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Well- It looks like the Farmington Diner in Farmington, Maine stands in the way of another Rite-Aid.

This story from the Morning Sentinel

FARMINGTON -- Rite-Aid is reportedly eying several properties in Farmington to replace its Wilton Road store in West Farmington.

The three businesses in question are the now-vacant Quiznos Subs, that owners Robert Tate and Steve Field closed only months after opening, the Farmington Diner and the C.N. Brown Co. gas station.

Repeated attempts to reach the diner's owner, Brian Wood, were unsuccessful and calls to C.N. Brown's central office in South Paris were not returned.

The Farmington Diner is the oldest store along the strip, having been built in the 1950's from an railroad dining car. It caters to a loyal clientele who enjoy the affordable prices and generous portions.

the diner is actually a slightly remodeled late '40's /early '50's Mt. View, not a railroad dining car. The cowcatcher corners give away the manufacturer.

farmington1.jpg

texasgirl

One Too Many
Suzie Q

We were recently in Mason City, Iowa and we had the opportunity to eat at a Valentine diner. I had never heard of one, but it was great! I didn't have my camera, but I found a picture online of it, see below. The inside just had 8 barstools and a counter. And the breakfast was delicious!

suzieQExt.jpg

This has a virtual tour- you can see how tiny it is inside
http://www.kshs.org/diners/USA/iowa/suzieq.htm

Valentine Diners began their nearly forty-year career in Wichita, Kansas--an idea born of the Great Depression. They were constructed as eight-to-ten-seat diners that one or two people could operate. If you were good at it--if you served good food at a fair price and kept your customers happy--you could make a successful business of a Valentine. In an industry where nearly all major diner manufacturers were on the East Coast, the Kansas creation managed to ship its little pre-fabs all across the country. Valentines could be found along major highways to attract travelers, in industrial areas to attract workers, and in small towns where they might be one of the only (if not the only) restaurants available.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
In Peekskill

I posted this on The Steamer Trunk, but I thought I'd share it here also. We were up the Hudson River last weekend, and found this near perfect specimen in Peekskill. The Center Diner, built in 1938.
Centerdiner.jpg

And the interior.
CenterDinerinterior.jpg

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
Howdy all! I happened to come across this thread while I checked in and figured I'd leave my 2 cents! Although it's on the other side of the state from me I remembered a place called "Lester's" Diner. After a quick search I found that they are still open. From what I recall it had great food. If anyone is near Bryan, Ohio make sure you check it out!!

I tried to upload a pic from both my PC and the site and both failed so here's the link to their site.

http://www.lestersonline.com/

Also! If anyone knows of anything near Cleveland, Erie or Pittsburge and you'd like to get together- let's do it! I'd love to bring the Graflex or one of my other camera's along and have a bit of fun!! :D

Scuffy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21