Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The discussion about the general lack of vitamin D3

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You can't absorb vitamin D through glass, so even having an office window won't help.

I had my Vitamin D levels plummet a few years ago, right before I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. There's a correlation, but they aren't sure what causes what. I take a daily supplement along with Calcium as I have minor osteoporosis (thanks chemo!) unless I've gotten an hour or so of midday sun.

I believe in supportive medicine like vitamins, in moderation, mainly because I grew up in farm country, where I saw land repeatedly cropped so much that stepping onto a field could be like stepping into a ditch. That much soil (and nutrents got hauled out with the crops) was missing. I rarely saw a farmer fertilize unless it improved yields substantially, which normally it didn't. farmers don't get paid for a nutritionally superior crop.

In the northeast US, where land was also deforested, the effects can be quite bad. If you think back to your earth science, a tree falling and decomposing releases all the nutrients it captured in its lifetime back to the soil. Harvest and haul off all the trees, farm it for 200 or 400 years without adequately fertilizing the land, and the soil gets very depleted.

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
I am pretty sure that drinking at least 12 tequilas a week will fix anything in your body.

If it doesnt work get 24 more, after this you wont care at all, stop worrying and your body will fix itself.

I dont understand medicine, you must get a couple of hours of sun a day for,D vitamin, then you might get skin cancer for doing so.

Anyway take care but BE HAPPY !!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I've heard 10 minutes of midday sunlight on your forearms provides enough vitamin D for the average person. That's 10 minutes per day.

The more skin you expose, the less time. The later or earlier in the day, the more time. Also location matters too.

I've heard 10 minutes of midday sunlight on your forearms provides enough vitamin D for the average person. That's 10 minutes per day.

The more skin you expose, the less time. The later or earlier in the day, the more time. Also location matters too.

Right. They say, that the strong sunlight onto the arms and face together, 15 minutes or more, could be around 25.000 I.U..

If your standing naked in the sun, could be 200.000 up to 400.000 I.U.. :D

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I've been low on Vitamin D3 for years and take about 4,000 IUs a day to combat it. I am not an outdoors person - especially during the summer - so that doesn't help. But I love to go for long walks in the evening, just as the sun is setting.

I also can't be in direct sunlight for a long time because of one of the medications I'm on for my rheumatoid arthritis.

ChrisB

A-List Customer
Yes, Lizzie, that's exactly the thing! Light alone is just not helping. That's just old believe, not more.
Only UV-B-radiation seems to work, but we are all not walking around naked and real classic summer is not more happening, here in Germany, since over ten years. So, the masses are just not coming to an healty level of V. D3, anymore. The masses are even walking around in the summertime, with a lack of V. D3.

But, the supplements are working really, too. That's generally proven. People were helped on depressions, pain in the limbs and so on. It's fact. No one today can say, it's a myth.

Sounds like a good reason for F.K.K., or isn't that popular in Germany anymore?

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
I've been low on Vitamin D3 for years and take about 4,000 IUs a day to combat it. I am not an outdoors person - especially during the summer - so that doesn't help. But I love to go for long walks in the evening, just as the sun is setting.

I also can't be in direct sunlight for a long time because of one of the medications I'm on for my rheumatoid arthritis.

My Neurologist has had me on 2000 IUs a day of D3 for years + Calcium. Not an outdoors person, either, since it's hotter than the fires of hades outside in July & I burn like a lobster if I'm in sunlight for more than 10 minutes. :eek:

I supplement vitamin D3 1.000 IU daily, since 22. June. Actual, I feel good. What I definitely can say, is, that I got a light milky taste in my mouth, which was not there, before. But my mood seems to be better, than before. No real mood changes.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Here in Canada there was a study published several years ago, that indicated most people were deficient in Vitamin D and that supplementing by 1000 mg per day would cut the incidence of cancer by 30%. This study extended over thousands of people and several years. I have taken Vitamin D ever since.

Today with the emphasis on avoiding sunlight, always wearing hats, shirts and sun block, it is possible we get less sunlight than our ancestors who enjoyed swimming and sun bathing and before that, often worked outdoors.

http://harvardmagazine.com/2015/05/is-vitamin-d-a-wonder-pill

Conservative researchers guess the lack of vitamine D3 on 50 to 60% of the population. Progressive researchers guess 90%!

On nutrition, you can get maybe 20% of daily vitamine D3 (fat fish), but even that seems not to be functioning in practise.

Actual, the research still don't know really, but they guess, that on wintertime even 3.000 IU to 4.000 IU could be recommendable.

We will see, what future will bring. I'm tense! :)

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
^^^^
You don't need to be, face, hands & forearms for 10-15 mins. is enough at this time of year in northen temperate latiitudes....................hurry now while stocks last !

^^^^
You don't need to be, face, hands & forearms for 10-15 mins. is enough at this time of year in northen temperate latiitudes!

That was the everwhere known popular old advise, over so many decades until the 2000's. Now, we got 2016 and the good researchers laugh about it. In general, it's not working effective, as far as I know.
Construction-workers in the summertime got the lack on V. D3, too and quite often, here in Europe. They are clothed probably 95% of time, like all the others, here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21