Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Disney Diner

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Flute. Not the first Disney. I've owned three altogether but the other two are now in homes of other loungers. ;)

Disney Gadabout arrived today. I don't see another posted here and relatively little advertising in a quick google search. It appears to be an early 1940's $5 lightweight model aimed at the Stetson Playboy of that era... 7/8" ribbon, unlined, very soft felt - furrier than the Playboy and that same buttery soft and flexible unreeded sweatband. Here are a few iphone pictures after taking it out of the box.

gadabout1.jpg

gadabout2.jpg

gadabout3.jpg

gadabout4.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Nice Gadabout, Alan. I wish we had a date for it. I'd like to know exactly when production of Disney hats switched from Hat Corporation of America to Lee. I know it was by 1943, but I think it was probably a couple of years earlier.

Brad

Thank you Chepstow!

Brad, unfortunately there is very little to use for identification... crown sticker, if there was one, is not present. Logo is the angled Disney, New York (registered). I found an ad from September 1942 mentioning the "new" Disney Gadabout at $5 and a 1948 ad showing the Mr. Disney Gadabout as a $10. hat. I will look more closely and post additional pictures over the weekend. It's not much fun doing google searches for Disney hats... you come up with a lot of mice. :eeek:

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Disney Gadabout arrived today. I don't see another posted here and relatively little advertising in a quick google search. It appears to be an early 1940's $5 lightweight model aimed at the Stetson Playboy of that era... 7/8" ribbon, unlined, very soft felt - furrier than the Playboy and that same buttery soft and flexible unreeded sweatband.

Great snag, Alan. I always love it when we "discover" hats that haven't been on our radar screen. It's always interesting to me to see how different manufacturers jockeyed for position from a marketing standpoint, as well -- your "Gadabout" is the spittin' image of a Mallory "Nokabout" depicted in a 1938 Mallory ad.

Cheers,
JtL

delectans

Call Me a Cab
alanfgag;1342428[IMG said:
http://www.avertedimagination.com/hats/gadabout1.jpg[/IMG]

Saw this lovely Disney listed, and was hoping you would pick it up. Scarce lid, for sure, and doing google searches on Disney Hats is just a tad more frustrating than ADAM Hats. lol

The clean looking open crown photos called out to me. I hoped that it would have some of the qualities of that early unlined Playboy and it does. These 1940s lightweight hats with super soft sweatbands make great travel hats, easily touched up in the crease and comfortable as a pair of fuzzy slippers.

Jimmy, I am with you on the marketplace fascination... a Gadabout and a Nokabout doing battle for some market share. :fencing: I sense the Playboy knocked 'em both out cold.

dogrocketp

One of the Regulars
I snagged a beat up Disney Twenty on ebay. It was the usual dark grainy picture with no size listed. For $15 I took a shot. It was trashed when I got it. After a quick trip to Optimo, It came back in remarkable condition. I'll post it when I get a camera. Occasionally, taking a chance pays off!

winter_joe

A-List Customer
dating a vintage disney fedora

Hello fl members im new to this forum and hat wearing, and I recently won a vintage disney fedora and im looking to get an accurate date on it. It say disney twenty oxford and broadstreet`s chicago-new york and it has a man in a top hat and a cane in gold on a white lining ill post pics when I get the chance.

buler

I'll Lock Up
A Disney Kingway homburg. Brown felt with a green/brown ribbon and brim binding. Was NOS in box with outer ribbon size tag still on it.

B

disney_kingway_1.jpg

disney_kingway_2.jpg

disney_kingway_3.jpg

disney_kingway_4.jpg

disney_kingway_5.jpg

disney_kingway_6.jpg

disney_kingway_8.jpg

disney_kingway_9.jpg

disney_kingway_10.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads