The Disney Diner

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Marc Chevalier, May 3, 2007.

1. Aureliano

Aureliano I'll Lock Up

Thanks, guys. I'm wearing it today. I'll post a picture later.

2. fluteplayer07

fluteplayer07 One Too Many

Wonderful acquisition, man! Your first Disney?

Great hats, to both.

3. Aureliano

Aureliano I'll Lock Up

Thanks, Flute. Not the first Disney. I've owned three altogether but the other two are now in homes of other loungers. ;)

4. delectans

delectans Call Me a Cab

Thank you kindly, flute.

5. alanfgag

alanfgag

Disney Gadabout arrived today. I don't see another posted here and relatively little advertising in a quick google search. It appears to be an early 1940's $5 lightweight model aimed at the Stetson Playboy of that era... 7/8" ribbon, unlined, very soft felt - furrier than the Playboy and that same buttery soft and flexible unreeded sweatband. Here are a few iphone pictures after taking it out of the box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Chepstow

Chepstow I'll Lock Up

very nice Alan looks great

7. Brad Bowers

Brad Bowers I'll Lock Up

Nice Gadabout, Alan. I wish we had a date for it. I'd like to know exactly when production of Disney hats switched from Hat Corporation of America to Lee. I know it was by 1943, but I think it was probably a couple of years earlier.

Brad

8. alanfgag

alanfgag

Thank you Chepstow!

Brad, unfortunately there is very little to use for identification... crown sticker, if there was one, is not present. Logo is the angled Disney, New York (registered). I found an ad from September 1942 mentioning the "new" Disney Gadabout at $5 and a 1948 ad showing the Mr. Disney Gadabout as a $10. hat. I will look more closely and post additional pictures over the weekend. It's not much fun doing google searches for Disney hats... you come up with a lot of mice. :eeek:

9. jimmy the lid

jimmy the lid I'll Lock Up

Great snag, Alan. I always love it when we "discover" hats that haven't been on our radar screen. It's always interesting to me to see how different manufacturers jockeyed for position from a marketing standpoint, as well -- your "Gadabout" is the spittin' image of a Mallory "Nokabout" depicted in a 1938 Mallory ad.

Cheers,
    JtL

10. delectans

delectans Call Me a Cab

Saw this lovely Disney listed, and was hoping you would pick it up. Scarce lid, for sure, and doing google searches on Disney Hats is just a tad more frustrating than ADAM Hats. lol

11. alanfgag

alanfgag

The clean looking open crown photos called out to me. I hoped that it would have some of the qualities of that early unlined Playboy and it does. These 1940s lightweight hats with super soft sweatbands make great travel hats, easily touched up in the crease and comfortable as a pair of fuzzy slippers.

Jimmy, I am with you on the marketplace fascination... a Gadabout and a Nokabout doing battle for some market share. :fencing: I sense the Playboy knocked 'em both out cold.

12. Lawrence Ullman

Lawrence Ullman New in Town

I've been wanting a black fedora, and this handy thread gave me the confidence to grab my first Disney from eBay. Just pulled the trigger, BIN $49.95, free shipping. Auction pics are the usual black blobs, so I hope I didn't just make a mistake. I will post pics when it arrives, but here's the listing URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150707730876#ht_5001wt_689

13. dogrocketp

dogrocketp One of the Regulars

I snagged a beat up Disney Twenty on ebay. It was the usual dark grainy picture with no size listed. For $15 I took a shot. It was trashed when I got it. After a quick trip to Optimo, It came back in remarkable condition. I'll post it when I get a camera. Occasionally, taking a chance pays off!

14. winter_joe

winter_joe A-List Customer

dating a vintage disney fedora

Hello fl members im new to this forum and hat wearing, and I recently won a vintage disney fedora and im looking to get an accurate date on it. It say disney twenty oxford and broadstreet`s chicago-new york and it has a man in a top hat and a cane in gold on a white lining ill post pics when I get the chance.

15. buler

buler My Mail is Forwarded Here

16. winter_joe

winter_joe A-List Customer

17. buler

buler My Mail is Forwarded Here

A Disney Kingway homburg. Brown felt with a green/brown ribbon and brim binding. Was NOS in box with outer ribbon size tag still on it.

B

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. mikespens

mikespens Call Me a Cab