The Disney Diner

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Marc Chevalier, May 3, 2007.

1. Redfokker

Redfokker

Sweet! Nice finish on this Disney. You just have to ask her nicely.

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  2. Tukwila

Tukwila Call Me a Cab

Prodding from @AbbaDatDeHat / Bowen got me to hunt down some old pics for my Disney. I got this from a FL member quite by accident. I saw his post in the Classifieds for a link to a couple hats. I only bid on this one to give his auction a bump... and then no one bid against me. I really wasn't looking for another "black" hat.

The hat was advertised as black, and - to me - the pictures looked brown... but when it arrived and I started to brush it out a bit I thought, "wait a minute!" and compared it to a black hat I had on hand and confirmed my thought that this was indeed a dark navy colored felt. Triple brim stitching with an upturned edge, I wear it Brim Up 4 Bob or with the front brim down as I usually prefer.

Oh, and the pics don't show how amazing the crown ribbon is. It's also a dark navy, but with deep burgundy and charcoal highlights to it. I wish I could find more vintage ribbon like this!

AUCTION PICS:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

COMPARISON W/BLACK & OUTDOOR PICS:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As much as I love this Disney, I'm still jealous of Sandra's Cavanagh!
    [​IMG]

3. Redfokker

Redfokker

What a great surprise! That is no where near the auction photo color. True deep blue navy. I love this one Doug. But I agree Sandra always looks better.

steur, deadlyhandsome and Tukwila like this.
  4. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Sweet Disney, Doug! What are the dimensions?

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Redfokker, Tukwila and deadlyhandsome like this.
  5. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Wow, this thread really needed a bump. I’d say you gave it more of a whomp with that dynamite Disney. I love the 3rd pic contrasting with the black. It certainly reminds me of a Borsa color, Pervinca.
    Disney does make a fine fine hat. All brands have their “duds” but i’m yet to see a Disney that didn’t stand hats above the crowd in some aspect of craftmanship. Your’s does in several areas Doug.
    Was it Frank Lee that made Disney back in the day?? I believe so, so your wife’s Cavanagh is a close relative as F. Lee and J. Cavanagh used to sit around the design table designing hats!! Hope i got that right.
    Time to backpage and see if i’ve posted here. Who can remember?? Ha
    Thanks for sharing!
    B

Redfokker, steur and Tukwila like this.
  6. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Stellar hat, Doug. Or rather stellar hats, plural. I had that happen to me not once but twice that a hat advertised as black turned out to be dark blue. Hat collecting doesn't get better than that.

7. Tukwila

Tukwila Call Me a Cab

T'anks, Jim! The brim is 2-1/2" while the curl takes it down a bit. Open crown is right at 5-1/2".

I generally like a hat that runs 5-3/4" open crown and 2-5/8" brim but I really love this Disney.

8. Wyldkarma

Wyldkarma One Too Many

Now waiting on this just purchased Disney. 1940's, thin ribbon zephyr weight, 3" brim / 5.5" crown. I was on the fence ordering it, but thanks to some kind words of wisdom, and a drastic price drop....pulled the trigger. ;)

il_570xN.1612537152_px10.jpg il_570xN.1659965117_m78l.jpg il_570xN.1659965531_hrz5 (1).jpg

9. Redfokker

Redfokker

Wow! This one has some great details, a Mr. Disney!! I'll have to read up to know when they changed to just "Disney" hats. This one certainly has some age to it. Very nice.

Tukwila, AbbaDatDeHat and Wyldkarma like this.
  10. Wyldkarma

Wyldkarma One Too Many

Thanks Red, my first Disney. very curious about it myself. ;)

11. 40Cal

40Cal One Too Many

They were just “Disney” until 1947 and then they added the “Mr.”

12. AbbaDatDeHat

8F4D22A0-BFFB-48C0-A1A6-701E789CEFF3.jpeg
    Hey 40Cal great to see ya!!
    Here’s an example of Disney crest before Mr. and Top Hat man.
    B

steur, Redfokker, BobHufford and 3 others like this.
  13. Redfokker

Redfokker

Thanks, I'll file that nugget away.

Tukwila and 40Cal like this.
  14. 40Cal

40Cal One Too Many

Hi Bowen! I’ve been lurking.

Bamaboots, Redfokker, Tukwila and 2 others like this.
  15. AbbaDatDeHat

I’m glad.
    Did you ever paint any portraits of some of those gorgeous hats?
    Hope so.
    B

Redfokker, Tukwila and Frunobulax like this.
  16. 40Cal

40Cal One Too Many

Haha....... no portraits ( not yet anyway) I do stick a fedora in a painting whenever possible though!

17. AbbaDatDeHat

Ha
    Yeah, i recall a Portis in one.
    You know, if you did just one, of one of your fall over dead hats, Robt, you’d have enough commissions to open up a different kind of Hat Gallery!!
    Just sayin...
    B

steur, Redfokker and 40Cal like this.
  18. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

I read nothing but good things about this brand. That one looks cool, WK. It has me wanting one...

19. Rockwater

Rockwater A-List Customer

According to the info gleaned from this thread I’m assuming this is pre’47.
    Disney ‘Robin Hood’ in grey green. The felt is amazingly soft and lightweight and won’t hold without some steam, yet there is firmness to the 2 1/2” brim. The crown is a heavy 5” open.
    IMHO the hand is superior to a 40’s
    J Cavanaugh I have; but don’t tell John.
    Some shallow mothing is on the underside of the brim which just makes it more wearable for me.

3D97DC62-2445-409E-B951-46422298F536.jpeg
    086ABD75-A5B1-46C0-8F5C-BBB9529FD41B.jpeg 14862CC0-602E-4DBB-9B54-25E3A68C0CC4.jpeg 3EA353CC-4E2A-43B6-A782-7C877D48EC44.jpeg C1951148-5366-4236-A3CD-232EACF83EA4.jpeg 2E8468A8-8C4E-4312-8E53-F7DA30750996.jpeg
    51708963-9352-4959-9B79-85C911A8D3AD.jpeg 6478F100-5B3F-4E82-A90D-DEF794A73CBD.jpeg D223F484-FAA6-467B-B2F2-CBCD8735D651.jpeg A7DF5AE6-AAB9-47BC-A3F8-F65FE640EB07.jpeg

Bill Hughes, Rmccamey, steur and 5 others like this.
  20. Tukwila

Tukwila Call Me a Cab

Stellar example, Rockwater! That first pic really shows the qaulity of the felt, and what a fantastic crease!

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.