The Disney Diner

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Marc Chevalier, May 3, 2007.

1. Rockwater

Rockwater A-List Customer

Thank you, that crease is what sits my head well, and it is directly copied from these pages to my lid.
    Inspiration from all.

Tukwila and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  2. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Epic hat Rock!! Epic hat and box!!
    Disney’s have some very distinctive attributes. When you get time check out the cord used to help join the sweatband to bow. Disney is one maker that sometimes extends the cord up the sweat seam and continues around the sweatband serving as a reed of sorts. The hat i posted earlier up tread is such and continues as the bow. Your’s appears to have the cord covered but i bet thats what the reed is. Bottom line is it most certainly makes for an extremely comfortable wearing hat.
    All these type attributes help make Disneys very very cool hats. IMHO
    I love your Disney!!
    Thanks for posting such an epic hat.
    Be well. Bowen

Tukwila and Rockwater like this.
  3. Wyldkarma

Wyldkarma One Too Many

OK, What is it? Trying to figure out this weird sweatband in my recent vtg Mr. Disney. The band is clear plastic attached to a thin leather band. Very odd??? The felt is beautiful, sooooo light and thin and shapes easily without steam. 3" brim & 4 1/2" crown.

20181006_122708.jpg 20181006_123246.jpg 20181006_123251.jpg batch_20181006_123436.jpg batch_20181006_122749.jpg batch_20181006_123417.jpg batch_20181006_123521.jpg

4. AbbaDatDeHat

5. Rockwater

A235ECC3-D753-478E-993D-D487EA09E11E.jpeg
    Bowen, you are indeed correct.
    Silky threads are sewn in the sweatband seam and take a right turn where they meet the brim.
    What a great detail, no wonder it’s so dang comfortable. Thanks for pointing that out, I would have missed it.
    Good trapping on the black rat!

steur, Redfokker, Tukwila and 3 others like this.
  6. Tukwila

Tukwila Call Me a Cab

I don't really see a lot of info about dating Disney hats other than the change of the line to the Mr Disney style.

Here's the liner of my Exmoor with shots of the size and factory tags, too. I'm guessing 50s, but that's based on style and a brown leather sweat opposed to liner or tags...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Redfokker

Redfokker

Incredible Disney! Love the color and features. I notice that the price tag says "ceiling price", while not a Office of Price Administration or Control tag, it does make me think it might have been during this period, WWII. Small clue, more research would be needed, but very interesting.

hatsRme, Tukwila and steur like this.
  8. AbbaDatDeHat

Tuk:
    Your’s is such a gorgeous blue and so pristine!! Just beautiful!
    Another key is the reorder tag having Danbury, Conn. vs New York, which mine do. I recall that distinction being referenced somewhere but it escapes me for now.
    B

Tukwila and steur like this.
  9. MondoFW

MondoFW Practically Family

Really something else outta the park. That rich blue color is what I aspire to find on a hat.

Tukwila likes this.
  10. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

It's a beautiful hat and a great find, but what really caught my eye was the incredible detailed sweatband work.

Tukwila, Rockwater and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  11. Rockwater

Thanks Red. Yes, I wondered about the ceiling price on the tag also, not stating OPA or OPS. Perhaps it was a tag for the gap from ‘47 to ‘51. Or, just carry over terminology.

AbbaDatDeHat and Redfokker like this.
  12. Rockwater

Agreed, the sweat is killer. Gotta thank Bowen for pointing out the thread detail in the seam, I probably would have overlooked.
    Thanks for you frequent postings, by the way, really enjoy seeing your collections.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    hatsRme, AbbaDatDeHat and Redfokker like this.
  13. Tukwila

Tukwila Call Me a Cab

I see references to Danbury, CT, on the Hatted Professor website but no real indication of dates associated with it. Likewise, the liner has no dates associated with it.

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  14. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Could it be that Hat Corporation of America purchased Disney and that's when the Danbury designation came up?

Tukwila likes this.
  15. Tukwila

Tukwila Call Me a Cab

Per Hatted Professor, Sunfast and Hodshon were in Danbury and both made hats for Disney in the 30s and 40s. HatCo was in the middle there and then Lee, and then Stetson acquired Lee. It's a tangled web.

The history and pics of Cavanagh and Dobbs hats are laid out perfectly and make dating those hats easier. Disney is tough. I figure my hat is late 50s and could even be early 60s... But it's just a guess.

I had assumed my wife's Cavanagh was a 50s hat, but the factory tag clearly puts it in the 40s.

hatsRme and Rockwater like this.
  16. buler

buler My Mail is Forwarded Here

Disney Fifteen:

disney.jpg disney1.jpg disney2.jpg disney3.jpg disney4.jpg disney5.jpg

17. Tukwila

Tukwila Call Me a Cab

18. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

19. Disney 15, ""Windsor".........."Cavanaugh edge" or whatever they called it......
    20190401_150749.jpg 20190401_150758.jpg 20190401_150840.jpg 20190401_150853.jpg 20190401_150924.jpg 20190401_150945.jpg

Bill Hughes, Bamaboots, steur and 6 others like this.
  20. TheOldFashioned

TheOldFashioned Practically Family

Disney Milan:
    IMG_20190727_184402175.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_1389.JPG IMG_1388.JPG
    Specs:
    2.25" - 2.5" Brim
    5.63" Crown (Open)
    4.13" Crown (Telescopic Creased)
    4.2oz Weight
    Very pleased with the overall construction, color, and feel of this hat. It appears there was a liner tip at one point but must have been shed during its lifetime. The size tag is also missing, and the seller estimated it was 7-5/8. Fortunately, such was not the case as it fits very comfortably at 7-3/8. The straw collection grows!