Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Disney Diner

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Disney Twenty Homburg

P1060515.JPG
P1060517.JPG
P1060518.JPG

Nice moderately sized Homburg, unfortunately a rather round oval 7-1/8. Just shy of Charcoal coloring.

Thank you. It maintains the aesthetic of the forty dollar hats from HCA - heavy, dense felt with good moldable character... very nicely finished. This one is a little softer and more delicious than the other Disney 40 that I purchased a couple of years ago which does not have the aridex mark. Not sure of their ages or sequence in history.

winter_joe

A-List Customer
Thank you. It maintains the aesthetic of the forty dollar hats from HCA - heavy, dense felt with good moldable character... very nicely finished. This one is a little softer and more delicious than the other Disney 40 that I purchased a couple of years ago which does not have the aridex mark. Not sure of their ages or sequence in history.

The 40 without the Dupont treatment is older than the one with treatment as the Disney brand didn't start treating there hats with it until the early 50s I believe.

Perhaps, but I'm not sure.

The Frank H. Lee Company (maker of both of these Disney hats) used their Waterbloc mark back into the 1930s. A look through this thread shows hats that appear later without the water repellent mark and hats showing Du Pont treatment but without "Aridex", to which I have not found further reference than the 1946 Du Pont advertisement shown above. If I had to guess purely from the feel of the materials, I would guess this hat to be the older of the two, though I don't think either is far off from c. 1950.

winter_joe

A-List Customer
Yeah I have the same marking on my Disney twenty Oxford and when I searched for it I found an ad showcasing a new type of treatment done to the Disney brand hats. The earliest I could find was from 1951

Purplesage

One Too Many
Disney Oxford 15

Just thought I would put some photos of a Disney I own that is similar to Alan's new hat. This one also has the sharks gill ribbon with wind trolley, 3" Cavanagh Edge Brim.

photo-273_zpsf31135ce.jpg

photo-275_zpsc1ee96c7.jpg

photo-276_zpscab750db.jpg

photo-278_zps0fdf6756.jpg

photo-268_zps702b1e6a.jpg

Yeah I have the same marking on my Disney twenty Oxford and when I searched for it I found an ad showcasing a new type of treatment done to the Disney brand hats. The earliest I could find was from 1951

Do have photographs of the hat posted somewhere - the manufacturing label behind the sweat would be interesting to see also.

Beautiful hat, Purplesage... thanks for adding it.

Purplesage

One Too Many
I like the color on the one you just won on auction better than mine but it's still a nice hat. Probably not quite as old as yours! Not sure when mine was made. I'm thinking early 50s.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Got this hat today in the mail from bond, and it's a real beauty! It's a Disney 15 in a light green/sage color. 2 3/4 brim, 5 1/2 open crown. The felt is dense and soft.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

The stitching in the sweat is incredibly tight:
image.jpg

A 15 for $15, and the only other label in the hat:
image.jpg
image.jpg

Cav edge:
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

The age of this one has me a bit baffled. It's not a Mr. Disney, which leads me to think 40s, but it has the oilskin liner, which I didn't think started gaining ground until the 50s. And while dimensions are never necessarily indicative of age, the higher crown feels perhaps even earlier. Any thoughts?

So happy to have a seat in the Disney Diner!

A

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
The age of this one has me a bit baffled. It's not a Mr. Disney, which leads me to think 40s, but it has the oilskin liner, which I didn't think started gaining ground until the 50s.

That is really beautiful, Aaron. Congratulations! :eusa_clap

The oilskin liner tops were indeed present in many 40s hats. It was replaced with plastic during the 50s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff