Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE Dress - Butterick 4790

crwritt

One Too Many
ohairas said:
I just went back and reread this entire thread since it had been so long ago...

I'm really missing everyone's pics!! Please re-post if you can!

Kitty, I'd love to see your version; black and red was it?

I've been researching on the web and found all kinds of reviews and other pics. Just do a google image search for butterick 4790 if you are thinking of doing this dress.

This gal on a blog didn't like the pattern at all,
http://blog.mammamadedesigns.com/ar...utterick-4790---a-complete-waste-of-time.aspx

Many complain about the front bunching up as you move in it, and that the weight of the skirt in back pulls it backwards.

Goldwyn Girl, you mentioned that you wore a semi full crinoline underneath and you had no probs.

From looking at pics all day, I'm thinking that the dress needs to be made on the small side for it to really fit properly, esp. under the arms and such.

Found many similar patterns.
Some of these photos may be repeats but I thought it would be nice to have them all here nice and tidy...
3426483857_3451a793bc_m.jpg

3427292236_1bb3b7381e_m.jpg

3427292100_ccd71d1989_m.jpg

3426483267_e6d7f511a8_m.jpg

3427291850_32d21667e9_m.jpg

3427291588_897435acc2_m.jpg

3426483029_afe8465385_m.jpg
I have a pattern from the 80's similar to the jumper one you show, I've had it since it was new and still haven't made it into a summer dress.
The last pattern you show is actually pants. A dress a Day showed one similar a while ago, I guess she doesn't like panst much, especially voluminous wraparound ones.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
ohairas said:
I've been researching on the web and found all kinds of reviews and other pics. Just do a google image search for butterick 4790 if you are thinking of doing this dress.

This gal on a blog didn't like the pattern at all,
http://blog.mammamadedesigns.com/ar...utterick-4790---a-complete-waste-of-time.aspx

Many complain about the front bunching up as you move in it, and that the weight of the skirt in back pulls it backwards.

I would have to agree with the blogger. I think the dress is incredibly overrated, and I dont think it looks good on over 90% of the people who wear it, myself included.

simplicity3967.jpg

This was my version, and although the built in girdle helps stabilize the garment, you just feel silly thinking all the time that the flap is going to creep out and show your undies beneath.

The real solution is two skirts, and then, really, is there a point? lol

LD

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
LD, thanks so much for reposting that version, I remember it now. Funny, I didn't see it while searching all day, lol!
Here's another one I found,
3427910268_ca26fe1fed.jpg

Well, you goils are making me think twice about attempting it, (esp. for my first REAL pattern project!), but I suppose I'll have to learn for myself and then I can gripe about it with the rest of you, haha!

Maybe I just wanna make it so that I can "rig" it up because rigging seems to be my life. :eusa_doh:

crwritt

One Too Many
One reason I haven't attempted this dress or the straight version of it I have is that I haven't found 5 yards of cheap fabric that I like enough to make it, since I'm not sure I'll like the fit, and its a lot of effort to put into a dress made of fabric I don't like, and I'd rather test it in something i would actually wear.

I know this pattern was hugely popular in its day, but I'd like to know if many of them were actually sewn up and worn on a regular basis, or if prior sewing enthusiasts had the same problems with this pattern.
Has anyone run across photos of regular gals wearing this type of dress that are not either promoting the pattern company or displaying a sewing project?

Nikki, I have been buying all the repro patterns I could get my hands on for the past few years. I have finally started to make them and I find that all I have worked with so far have lots of extra ease added to them for the "modern" woman. In otherwords, I think you loose the vintage look if you make them too loose. I have not made this dress yet but this very well could be part of the issue with the bunching problem, many ladies have had with this. What ever pattern you use, if it is one of the reprint ones, be sure and check the finished garment measurement on the pattern first.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Colleen, I had been wondering the same thing... I have never run across an already made up vintage one on the bay or seen any pics. You'd think there would be scads of them!

I had bought some cheap fabric years ago to make it and never did, so it's a waste all the way around. I hate the fabric now, so there it sits.

CherryRed, I concur~ many of the pattens were meant for trim or hourglass women of the day, or those who wore the extensive undergarments of the time. I have many vintage patterns, another wrap I'm dying to show and will have to find the proper thread to put it in~

I wonder how much, if at all, the retro walk-away pattern has been changed since the original?

Also, since I've not sewn from a pattern before... excuse my ignorance, but are the measurements listed on the package the measurements of the finished garment, or the cut pattern?
Thanks girls!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
CherryRed said:
Nikki, I have been buying all the repro patterns I could get my hands on for the past few years. I have finally started to make them and I find that all I have worked with so far have lots of extra ease added to them for the "modern" woman.

That is the problem with MOST repo patters on the market, they are resized to fit a blanket audience, and in that loose their shape and vintage ascetic. Somewhat of a cheat is to go by finished garment size, generally printed somewhere on a pattern piece, but even then, there can be issues. :(

LD

Rachael

A-List Customer
Lady Day said:
Somewhat of a cheat is to go by finished garment size, generally printed somewhere on a pattern piece, but even then, there can be issues. :(

LD

that is exactly what I do. I just finished a dress (pictures soon to follow) that was "fitted" then the printed finished size listed the waist as having 4.5" ease. How exactly is that "fitted"? The good side of this is that the waist measurements on pattern sizes seem insanely small compared to bust/waist but the extra room allows me to buy for my bust size and have the garment fit just fine.

There is the occasional pattern, however, that even with the printed actual measurement comes out way to large. My 8-gored skirt I recently made did that; I cut a size 12 and it was 8" too large! Good news on that one was there were eight gores so I took 1" out of each seam. Still a pain, and I should learn to just flat measure the pattern before cutting like they taught me.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
When I made mine I used Cotton Pique for the overskirt and a heavy embroidered linen mix for the front. The dress is very heavy and not good for the middle of summer in Vegas. I made sure the waist was very fitted and snug on both pieces. I think it helps to keep it from slipping. If I recall I made the arm holes on the front piece a little higher. I been having a thought while I'm typing this. You could add a belt to the inside of grosgrain like often seen in vintage dresses to give it more 'grip'. A slip of some sort is definitely needed. A small crinoline worked for me. This is the only photo I've found of one in the 'wild' At Disneyland, woman in the center.

KT_5960_N04B.jpg

ohairas said:
Also, since I've not sewn from a pattern before... excuse my ignorance, but are the measurements listed on the package the measurements of the finished garment, or the cut pattern?
Thanks girls!
The measurements on the envelope are your measurements. The finished garment measurements are on the pattern pieces (usually the bodice on a dress). But, keep in mind neither of these are always acurate, as Racheal pointed out.
I had a size issue with another Retro Butterick I made last week. I made it 2 sizes smaller then my measurements called for to reduce the ease. There is more info on that over in the sewing lesson and faq thread.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Ok, so I took the plunge! I cut some fabric! Since I'm unsure just how much of the fullness of the skirt I'd want to take out, I'm doing a trial dress first with the old fabric that I had. I bought a new contrasting fabric for the front and now I like the old skirt fabric again, lol!

What I've changed so far is I lenthened the top at the shoulders; which will make the waist and breast dart fall where it's supposed to, and will also make the neckline lower which many seemed to have altered.

I tried marking the darts and such but the tracing paper I used was just a hair too light and I'm having too much trouble seeing the lines. I'll redo tomorrow, I've had enough for now!

Whether or not it comes out ok I still think this has been a good pattern to be my first ever. Time will tell....

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Poppies! Poppies will put them to sleep. Sleeeeeep. Now they'll sleeee-eep...

It's finished! Woohoo, I can't believe it. My first REAL pattern!

Now before I show you, let me tell you that it is quite obnoxious. I chose this fabric for the 70th anniversary of The Wizard of Oz, and we're going to KS for an exhibit this weekend, then on to the museum.
So I know the underskirt fabric is not "appropriate" for this pattern, but I don't care. I like it and wanted to use it~

Ok, I cut the shoulders at a size 14, but kept the neckline at an 8.
I cut the rest of the dress to fit a 12. I sewed the breast darts at an 8, but the rest of the darts at a 10. Sounds crazy maybe, but it fits.
It's a trifle snug in the waist, but I did that on purpose as I am up a few pounds right now.

I rounded off the skirt edges, which I now rather regret as I wasn't thinking it would hang like a jabot. Oh well.
I also extended the waist line that wraps around the back as far as I could; all the way to the salvage edge of the fabric.
Then I rounded off the edges on the bottoms there as well. After sewing the bias tape to the entire underskirt, it didn't ride up like it had before. I think rounding off the edges really helps to keep it from getting caught in the overskirt and causing it to ride up too.

I didn't have enough poppy fabric for the back bodice so I sewed two pieces together.

Oh! I also sewed the back to the front right where it crosses under the arms. Yes, I have to wriggle a bit to get in and out of it, but it's alot better than dealing with shifting all day long!

Soooo, without further adieu...
3469622218_cdc1e544b6.jpg

3468777365_37e621cba8.jpg

3469593200_f5a244ae06.jpg

3469580034_c3506a1029.jpg

3469594788_3fecd41a73.jpg

And if you haven't been bored enough, you can see the rest of the pics here.

crwritt

One Too Many
You did a fabulous job! This dress goes in the category of "stunt dresses", totally appropriate to the theme of the event.
I especially like the picture where you are wearing two different shoes.

PS

A-List Customer
Seriously! This is your first dress? Man I tried to make this as my first and it a holy disaster. Haven't sewn since.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Thanks girls! Now if I can only learn to use the button holer, I will be so happy! I have so many projects lined up.

PS, I'm sorry you had issues with the dress! Get it back out, let's talk about it! I think I was just lucky to be able to read a bazillion reviews before I started on it~
Don't let it keep you from sewing. Many people, even seamstresses had fits over this pattern!

olive bleu

One Too Many
HOLY SMOKE ,BATMAN!!

I LOVE it!!! Amazing job, adore the fabric! and i have a pair of ruby red maryjanes that are kind of sparkly that would go great with that . I would love to show up in church wearing that ensemble:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy