Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dress Shirt Pocket Poll

Do you prefer the pocket?

• Pocket

Votes: 58 72.5%
  • No Pocket

Votes: 22 27.5%

• Total voters

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah, maybe detachable breast pockets that could be starched seperately?:p

I don't agree that all formal wear is stupid though. I like the look of it. But of course it's like a uniform and leaves little room for personal expression.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Oh another american/british thing. I am sure Matt Deckard meant normal shirts for every day use not the formal (evening) shirts.
Read it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dress_shirt

Formal shirts with breast pockets would be completely stupid.

Here is one of my vintage shirts.
greenshirtr.jpg

Thanks for the pic must say I've never seen a button up pullover dress shirt before,they say you learn something new everyday,well today is no exception.

There's a scene in a 1936 British crime novel The Gilt Kid where the protagonist, just out of prison and getting his hair cut, sends the barbers boy out to buy him a shirt "American style, with buttons all down the front". As opposed to the standard British tunic type.

Thanks for the pic must say I've never seen a button up pullover dress shirt before,they say you learn something new everyday,well today is no exception.

SteveAS

Practically Family
I jump in the car and toss my phone in the pocket as a handy mic for speaker phone talks when needed.

I sometimes do the same. Of course, I often forget it's there and it falls out of the pocket and onto the ground next time I bend over. Maybe I don't like pockets on dress shirts . . . :eusa_doh:

1961MJS

With double (French) cuffs, no; but with barrel cuffs, yes......

But then they're usually button down collar with double pockets and button flaps. Lord, I have a hundred if I have one, in a myriad of colors/fabrics.

Royal oxford cloth is a favorite.

Shoes037.jpg

Where do you buy yours? I have a lot of work shirts, but I work in an office and could stand to wear the oxford cloth.

Thanks

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Where do you buy yours?
From a wonderful shirtmaker in Paris but there are any number of competent shirtmakers who could create a reasonable facsimile at various price-points. For instance, Luxire appears to make a quality shirt for a reasonable price.

Benny Holiday

I need at least one shirt pocket, but I like the vintage look of two on my business shirts like Magnoli's
"Gittes" shirt. A business shirt with no pockets looks and feels weird to me.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I need at least one shirt pocket, but I like the vintage look of two on my business shirts like Magnoli's
"Gittes" shirt. A business shirt with no pockets looks and feels weird to me.

Yes! Dual breast pockets please, with button closures and scallop flaps!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou