Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Entire History of the World (1931)

Story

I'll Lock Up
Looks like something that should be hanging on the wall in Professor Jones' office.

This “Histomap,” created by John B. Sparks, was first printed by Rand McNally in 1931. (The David Rumsey Map Collection hosts a fully zoomable version here.) (Update: Click on the image below to arrive at a bigger version.)

This giant, ambitious chart fit neatly with a trend in nonfiction book publishing of the 1920s and 1930s: the “outline,” in which large subjects (the history of the world! every school of philosophy! all of modern physics!) were distilled into a form comprehensible to the most uneducated layman.

The 5-foot-long Histomap was sold for $1 and folded into a green cover, which featured endorsements from historians and reviewers. The chart was advertised as “clear, vivid, and shorn of elaboration,” while at the same time capable of “holding you enthralled” by presenting:

the actual picture of the march of civilization, from the mud huts of the ancients thru the monarchistic glamour of the middle ages to the living panorama of life in present day America.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_vaul...ory_of_the_world_distilled_into_a_single.html

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
That brings back memories. One of those maps hung in the library of a grammar school I attended. Years later I saw one hanging at the Rand McNally store in Chicago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou