Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
11 (2).png
12 (2).png
13.png
14 (2).png
15 (2).png
16 (2).png
17 (2).png
18 (2).png
19 (2).png
20 (2).png

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"He will recover."

I thought the News could be hard boiled, but there are times when the Tribune really takes the cake.

And geez, Dude could take some pointers from Downwind in the brawling department. Why mess around with finesse when you can just stab the guy over and over again with a framing nail?

Oh, my! I just noticed I mixed two newspapers together by mistake. I was totally not paying attention to the dates even thought I thought I clicked on October 27 when I needed to log back on, the other date was for October 31, 1940:oops:

As someone who has posted book reviews in the movie thread and done other such silly things, I make no judgements, but continue to thank you for your efforts in enhancing this thread. I really enjoy your Tribune posts.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Oct_29__1940_.jpg

An estimated 6175 men holding draft number 158 will be the first called to military service under the conscription law, with Secretary of War Henry L. Stimson selecting the capsule containing that number from the same fishbowl used in the 1917 draft as the conscription lottery began this afternoon in Washington. Secretary Stimson drew the first number at 12:16 PM, following introductory remarks from President Roosevelt, who declared that the nation's first-ever peacetime draft is an act "in defense of our freedom," and told an audience of 1300 persons that "only the strong may continue to live in freedoman peace."

An unemployed Puerto Rican factory worker is among the Brooklyn men holding the fateful number 158. Twenty-three-year-old George Gonzalez became the immediate focus of attention in the Puerto Rican neighborhood around Atlantic Avenue, as friends and neighbors clustered around him to slap his back and shake his hand. Gonzalez was out for a walk when someone heard his number announced over the radio and the news spread rapidly along the neighborhood grapevine until he was spotted standing on a street corner. Gonzalez had served in the National Guard for three years in Puerto Rico before coming to Brooklyn, and says that since he has no job and no girl, there's no reason why he shouldn't go. "I'm happy to be among the first," he smiled.

Another Brooklyn man with number 158 is an unemployed printing machine operator, 33-year-old Joseph Paez of 179 Dean Street. Paez also declared his readiness to serve -- despite the fact that he has an artificial leg. And yet another holder of the fateful number, 21-year-old Carl Barry of 110 Martense Street, stated that he too is proud to be called -- but he is concerned about what his induction would mean to his widowed mother.

All the holders of number 158 will mark the first group of men to be summoned to report for examination and classification. Formal notifications advising them where to report on November 18th will be mailed out shortly. A full list of draft numbers in the sequence drawn up to press time appears in today's Eagle, and the complete list will be published tomorrow.

A 36-year-old Long Island man arrested on a pistol charge claimed today that he was offered $5000 to assassinate Mayor LaGuardia. Warren Lay of Maspeth was arrested at a bar and grill in that town last night, after patrons had alerted police that a man with a gun was making threats against the Mayor. Lay told police that he was hired by a "a man named Joe" in Queens to kill the Mayor during an appearance in College Point today, and that he had been taken blindfolded in a car to Brooklyn, where "a Negro" appeared and buckled a gun belt around his waist. "Joe" then drove the car back to a gas station in Maspeteh, where, Lay maintained, he was given his final instructions. Police say Lay "had been doing some drinking."

("Don' looka me!" protests Joe. "I voted for him! Twice! Well, not really, I wasn' ol' enough th' foist time, but I wore a button!" "Stayoutta Queens," says Sally. "Nuttin' good comes outa Queens.")

Up until yesterday the D'Arpe family of Boerum Hill enjoyed a quiet life in an apartment over a store at 578 Atlantic Avenue. But trouble began when President Roosevelt came to town and their two daughters were arrested for pitching an onion, an egg, and a lemon in his direction. Since the names of 21-year-old Italia and 17-year-old Mary appeared in yesterday's paper, the family has had to deal with the unwanted publicity, despite claims by the girls that they were only throwing pieces of old paper as part of the grand old New York tradition of throwing pieces of old paper at passing celebrities. They insist no egg was thrown, and anyway they were out of eggs. The girls will appear in court tomorrow on a disorderly conduct charge, but the rest of the family just wants to go back to being the quiet family who lives over a store on Atlantic Avenue.

Members of Local 500 of the Teamsters Union are picketing all eight gates of the now-closed World's Fair, charging that Parks Department trucks are moving furniture and other goods out of the Fair buildings in spite of the Teamsters having contractual jurisidiction over the grounds. Parks Department officials admit that city trucks have been brought onto the grounds, but only to remove city-owned tools and other equipment. Meanwhile, even before final arrangements have been made on a demolition contract, wreckers went to work today on the first Fair building to be razed. The Venezuelan Pavilion is expected to be fully dismantled within a few days.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Oct_29__1940_(1).jpg

(A kid oriented picture and a not-kid-oriented picture. Something for everyone.)

At the Patio this week, Myrna Loy and William Powell in "I Love You Again," paired with Lloyd Nolan in "The Gangs of Chicago."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Oct_29__1940_(2).jpg

(Dark Money, 1940 style -- the "public spirited citizens" are in fact the National Industrial Information Council, public-relations front for the National Association of Manufacturers. We can see you behind the curtain, Mr. Pew!)

Reader David Lawson writes in to tell Mr. Schroth he is discontinuing his subscription to the Eagle due to the paper's endorsement of Mr. Willkie. Reader William Lathrop Love writes in to tell Mr. Schroth he heartily agrees with the paper's view, and predicts that with Mr. Willkie's victory next week will come a complete realignment of political parties in Kings County.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Oct_29__1940_(3).jpg

(Some things never change. But hey, I'd gladly pay full price to see a good Rosalind Rattle picture.)

Dismissed Cleveland Indians manager Oscar Vitt insists his "conscience is clear" following his removal from the Cleveland dugout by the Tribe's board of directors this week. "I gave them all I had," insisted Vitt, adding that whoever is chosen to succeed him "has my best wishes -- also my sympathy." Vitt stated that he had made no effort to find another job while still under contract to the Indians, although he observes that team president Alva Bradley had , according to the newspapers, been openly considering replacements even while the job was still his. Vitt says he may just retire if no offers to his liking come along. "Just tell those boys back there I have no plans to apply for unemployment compensation."

The Football Dodgers are prepping for Sunday's big game against the Giants at Ebbets Field, with coach Jock Sutherland driving his men thru an intense three-hour drill. No Dodger grid squad has beaten the Giants in ten years, but Sutherland is determined to change that. Tackle Bruiser Kinard will be absent from Sunday's game, with his infected hand still a problem.

The Americans open their National Hockey League season Sunday night in Detroit with six rookies on the squad -- a serious change in policy for a team that for several years has been known around the league as a home for aging veterans. Last year's sixth-place finish convinced manager Mervyn "Red" Dutton that the time has come for a youth movement.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Oct_29__1940_(4).jpg

("Fewer Frills" indeed.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Oct_29__1940_(5).jpg
(You get the feeling Boody doesn't think very much of the Senate?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Oct_29__1940_(6).jpg

(Meanwhile, in a darkened hotel room, J. Hartford Oakdale awakens with a start, his ears burning. "By Jove!" he ejaculates. "Suddenly I can think of twenty thousand reasons why I must go see the Bungles at once!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Oct_29__1940_(7).jpg
("Come out from behind that cage so I can punch you in the face! You know, for old times' sake!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Oct_29__1940_(8).jpg
(Cue the reprise of "Ride of the Valkyries.")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_29__1940_.jpg
Pat Ryan? So that's why he ran off to China. And his real name is "Basil?" Won't Dude give him a hard time over that.

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_29__1940_(1).jpg
This would be a pretty good campaign between two fine candidates if we could just get rid of the party committees.

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_29__1940_(2).jpg

"Well," says Sally, gazing over at Joe, dozing in his undershirt with his feet in the oven, "It ain't a hut, but it'll do."

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_29__1940_(3).jpg

The look on Sam's face in panel two looks just a tad impure. What's really going on here?

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_29__1940_(4).jpg
"Enter -- THE EAR!"

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_29__1940_(5).jpg

You never see a good "Wigs, Beards, and Disguises" shop anymore.

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_29__1940_(6).jpg
Yep, he's a born salesman.

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_29__1940_(7).jpg
The less you know, Miss Sherman, the better.

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_29__1940_(8).jpg
With these remarkable pants, Gramps officially boots Moon Mullins from his spot as Rough-Edged Comic Page Fashion Plate.

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_29__1940_(9).jpg
Never mind him holding her in his arms, good thing Willie didn't see where he was going in Panel One.

...A 36-year-old Long Island man arrested on a pistol charge claimed today that he was offered $5000 to assassinate Mayor LaGuardia. Warren Lay of Maspeth was arrested at a bar and grill in that town last night, after patrons had alerted police that a man with a gun was making threats against the Mayor. Lay told police that he was hired by a "a man named Joe" in Queens to kill the Mayor during an appearance in College Point today, and that he had been taken blindfolded in a car to Brooklyn, where "a Negro" appeared and buckled a gun belt around his waist. "Joe" then drove the car back to a gas station in Maspeteh, where, Lay maintained, he was given his final instructions. Police say Lay "had been doing some drinking."....

This sounds like a crackpot effort, but with the mayor's antipathy to the mob, who knows, maybe Murder for Hire, hired itself?

....At the Patio this week, Myrna Loy and William Powell in "I Love You Again," paired with Lloyd Nolan in "The Gangs of Chicago."...

"I Love You Again" proves the value of star pairings as this convoluted story only kinda works because of the Thin Man and his wife's chemistry. Come to think of it, they should have just made another movie in "The Thin Man" series, which is what they really wanted to do anyway.

Lloyd Nolan is one of those actors who you see pop up in a ton of movies once you recognize him. The guy quietly put together a fifty-plus year career in movies and, later, TV - not bad for an industry that chews 'em up and spits 'em out.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Oct_29__1940_(6).jpg
(Meanwhile, in a darkened hotel room, J. Hartford Oakdale awakens with a start, his ears burning. "By Jove!" he ejaculates. "Suddenly I can think of twenty thousand reasons why I must go see the Bungles at once!")...

$20,000 in 1940 is about $370,000 today. Of course, being good citizens, the Bungles need to pay an income tax on that money of about 33% to Uncle Sam and good old New York State (I don't think New York City had yet gotten in on the income-taxing game in 1940).

But as we all know, this money will not be in George's hands for long.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Oct_29__1940_(8).jpg (Cue the reprise of "Ride of the Valkyries.")

:)

Also, the last panel is beautiful with the searchlights from the canal battle just visible. Well worthy of our chosen theme music.

... Daily_News_Tue__Oct_29__1940_.jpg Pat Ryan? So that's why he ran off to China. And his real name is "Basil?" Won't Dude give him a hard time over that....

And he's got a trust fund just like Raven - the hypocrite. :)

The last time we saw a man break in and shoot two women, we know what the women were doing that got him so angry. Just sayin', since the police don't yet have a motive.

... Daily_News_Tue__Oct_29__1940_(2).jpg
"Well," says Sally, gazing over at Joe, dozing in his undershirt with his feet in the oven, "It ain't a hut, but it'll do."....

I was surprised that the city, in 1940, would pay the rent for and provide a food and light allowance to those on relief.

... Daily_News_Tue__Oct_29__1940_(6).jpg Yep, he's a born salesman....

The creative ways people pad expense reports is never ending, but Mr. Wumple's going to, at minimum, ask for receipts.

As the saying goes, the game is on.

21 (2).png

Boy, when it rains, it pours. Joy went from no beaus to two fighting for her and all it took was crashing her plane into the ocean, getting bonked on the head by a seaplane and nearly drowning and, lo and behold, the men decide to commit.

I think Jack and Downwind figure they'll never meet another girl whose hair can remain perfectly coiffed through all that, so she's the one.

Advice to Joy -- never trust a man who lounges around in a quilted smoking jacket while poring over his collection of other women's phone numbers.

Agreed, but I'm also worried about the other guy in black pants, a black shirt, a white (or tan) tie and a loud double-breasted peak-lapeled sport coat as he looks like a mashup of a low-rent gangster and a used-car salesman from the 1970s.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The draft lottery faces its first legal challenge, with a Detroit man holding draft number 158 -- the first drawn in this week's selection -- having raised the possibility of a lawsuit charging that the lottery process was flawed and the drawing was inaccurate. Selective Service Director Clarence A. Dykstra stated today that the legal challenge arises from the "misplacement" of six numbers drawn, a matter discovered at the conclusion of the drawing early this morning, when Brig. Gen. Lewis Hershey, the Assistant Director of Selective Service, drew the final capsule out of the fishbowl and then realized that, according to the master list of numbers, there should have been six more capsules left. It was subsequently discovered that two of the missing numbers were drawn twice, and the duplicate numbers were struck off the list. A re-drawing of the missing numbers completed the list.

A defrocked Franciscan friar will be questioned for the 1925 murder of Florence Kane, sister of a Brooklyn detective who has spent the past fifteen years on a quest to avenge her death. Sixty-year-old William Gannon was picked up for vagrancy yesterday when he was seen soliciting funds from police officers while dressed in Franciscan garb. On questioning, police determined that he had been expelled from that order in 1933, and was falsely representing himself in order collect money for his own use. The vigilance of Detective James Kane, brother of the late Miss Kane, is reported to have led to Gannon's arrest. Investigators at the time of Miss Kane's murder determined that she had been killed by "someone she knew and trusted." Detective Kane stated today that he met Gannon six months ago, when the suspect attempted to solicit funds at the Atlantic Avenue precinct house, and struck up a friendship with him due to his own strong religious beliefs. But he became suspcious of Gannon when the "friar" kept making unsolicited references to Florence Kane and her murder. Detective Kane contacted the Order of St. Francis and learned of Gannon's expulsion from that order, and last night, when Gannon appeared at the station house, Kane had him taken into custody. In addition to the Kane murder, Gannon will also be questioned about the murder of Mary Helen O'Connell of Rockaway Beach, who was found dead in Massapequa in February 1933. Reports at the time of that killing stated that she was last seen in the company of a man in "priestly garb."

President Roosevelt will make an announcement tonight concerning the extension of further aid to Great Britain when he makes a major campaign speech tonight in Boston. The announcement, it was indicated today, may make available to Britain additional fighter planes for its defense against Nazi Germany. It is believed that those planes would come thru giving British orders greater priority at American aircraft factories.

Republican presidential candidate Wendell Willkie today reiterated his opposition to the third-term ambitions of President Roosevelt, declaring that long rule by one man always ends in "war, war, war!" Speaking in Clarksburg, West Virginia today the GOP nominee told an audience that "putting people back to work is beside the point," insisting that the only issue in the present election is one of foreign policy.

Italy's invading legions thrust a heavy attack into the western sector of Greece's stubborn defenses today, apparently driving for Ioanninna, 30 miles from the frontier and about the same distance from the coast. Neutral military observers stated that the Greek forces were "resisting strongly." Meanwhile, unconfirmed reports circulated today in Sofia, Bulgaria that Germany is exerting pressure on Italy thru Turkey for an end to the Italo-Greek hostilities.

Sam Gasberg was found not guilty today of kidnapping and torturing Isidor "I Paid Plenty" Juffre and Isaac Wapinsky. Although Gasberg, a reputed associate of underworld king Joe Adonis, was acquitted on those charges, the jury, in returning its verdict this morning in Kings County Court, failed to reach any agreement on charges that Gasberg had assaulted and committed extortion upon the two men. Gasberg was remanded to Queens County Jail pending a retrial on those charges.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Oct_30__1940_.jpg
("How much is this?" "It's a dollar." "How about this?" "It's a dollar." "What about these?" "A DOLLAR!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Oct_30__1940_(1).jpg
(On the fourth floor at 215 Montague Street, Larry (Himself) MacPhail bursts in on his traveling secretary. "CONGRATULATIONS, MY BOY!" he bellows. "HAVE A DRINK TO CELEBRATE! DID I EVER TELL YOU ABOUT WHAT I DID IN THE WAR? I TRIED TO KIDNAP THE KAISER, THAT'S WHAT I DID! GOT RIGHT INTO HIS CASTLE! BUT HE WASN'T HOME! BUT I STOLE HIS ASHTRAY! SEE THAT ASHTRAY ON MY DESK? THAT'S THE KAISER'S ASHTRAY! HAVE ANOTHER DRINK!" And poor John McDonald wonders what he'd have to do to get bumped a few numbers up the list.)

The Plumbers Union today joined the Teamsters in throwing up a picket line around the World's Fair, as members of Local 1 protested the use of Parks Department workers to disconnect and disassmble the Fair's fountains and other water fixtures. The Teamsters began picketing the grounds yesterday after discovering workers using Parks Department trucks to load furniture. Meanwhile, the Parks Department has signed a $60,000 contract with the Albert A. Volk Company, wreckers, to demolish Fair buildings. That contract does not include the cost of removing foundations, which will be done on a per-unit basis.

Fifty percent of all marriages are unhappy, declared Brooklyn College professor of government Dr. Louis A. Warsoff in a lecture before the Alumni Division of the Junior Federation of the Brooklyn Federation of Jewish Charities. Dr. Warsoff observed that 20 percent of all marriages end in divorce, and called for "open discussion" of marital problems in the nation's schools, churches, and synagogues.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Oct_30__1940_(2).jpg
(Private Citizen John Orr Young is a founding partner of the Young and Rubicam advertising agency, working in close cooperation with the NIIC of the NAM. Just so you know.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Oct_30__1940_(3).jpg

(Still no sign of "The Great Dictator" in Brooklyn. Get on the ball, Schroth!)

Ethel Merman opens tonight on Broadway in the new musical comedy "Panama Hattie," with book by Herman Fields and Buddy DeSylva and music by Cole Porter. 8:30 pm sharp at the 46th Street Theatre. Meanwhile, La Merman's role in Fields-DeSylva and Porters's "DuBarry Was A Lady" opposite Bert Lahr at the Royale has been taken over by none other than Gypsy Rose Lee. (It's quite a year on Broadway.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Oct_30__1940_(4).jpg

("We've Come So Far.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Oct_30__1940_(5).jpg
Football fans will find this a very large weekend, between the Army-Notre Dame game up at Yankee Stadium, North Carolina vs. Fordham at the Polo Grounds, and the Giants and Dodgers going at it Sunday at Ebbets Field. Total attendance for Saturday's college sets should hit 100,000, and there'll be a strong turnout at Brooklyn on Sunday to see if the Football Flock can break their ten-year losing streak against their uptown rivals.

With the Boston Red Sox having finished a disappointing fourth this year in the American League instead of the anticipated strong second, there has been much gossip about what owner Tom Yawkey will do over the winter, particularly about his problem children -- shortstop/manager Joe Cronin and outfielder Ted Williams. Yawkey is denying rumors one or both of those men will be out in 1941, saying that he wouldn't have given Cronin a five year contract if he wasn't happy with his work. As for Williams, whose childish outbursts at the Boston press and fans over the 1940 campaign have provoked widespread derision around the league, Yawkey says there's nothing wrong with the boy that a little growing-up won't cure. "He talks too much," admits Yawkey, "but it's harmless talk."

Meanwhile, a reported proposal by crooner Bing Crosby to purchase Boston's other ball club has been squelched by Commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis. The Judge ruled yesterday that Crosby's plan to buy the Boston Bees is out of order because of Crosby's involvement with horse racing out on the Coast.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Oct_30__1940_(6).jpg
(Sparky can't wait till Election Day to cast his vote.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Oct_30__1940_(7).jpg
(Oakdale better hurry, or there won't be anything left.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Oct_30__1940_(8).jpg
(I imagine he called himself "Melvin Honestasthedayislongfellow" when you knew him.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Oct_30__1940_(9).jpg
(Hope those tanks have good springs.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_30__1940_.jpg
Let's bring civility back to politics.

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_30__1940_(1).jpg

Faith an' begorrah! Since they put Frosch out of business, we gotta do SOMETHIN' to turn an extra dollah!

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_30__1940_(2).jpg

Well now, so Childs is going to splurge its advertising budget on radio, eh? Phil Cook, a jolly ukelele-playing song-and-patter personality, has been doing early mornings over WEAF or WABC for about ten years now, and his act is now about nine years' past its freshness date. Good move, Childs.

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_30__1940_(3).jpg

Ahhhhhhh, so Sam has money now, does he? Must be bootlegging all that water he turns into wine.

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_30__1940_(4).jpg
"I'll just be over here in the corner, selling reefers."

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_30__1940_(5).jpg
Pat's been outside the window laughing up his sleeve the whole time.

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_30__1940_(6).jpg
Picture of a man about to take an unexpected voyage -- into the Meta Zone.

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_30__1940_(7).jpg
Horace really isn't that happy -- he just huffs a lot of rubber cement.

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_30__1940_(8).jpg
Annnd Mamie Mullins surges into a commanding position in the latest running of the Funny Paper Troll-A-Thon!

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_30__1940_(9).jpg
Yeah, it runs in the family.

...The Plumbers Union today joined the Teamsters in throwing up a picket line around the World's Fair, as members of Local 1 protested the use of Parks Department workers to disconnect and disassmble the Fair's fountains and other water fixtures. The Teamsters began picketing the grounds yesterday after discovering workers using Parks Department trucks to load furniture. Meanwhile, the Parks Department has signed a $60,000 contract with the Albert A. Volk Company, wreckers, to demolish Fair buildings. That contract does not include the cost of removing foundations, which will be done on a per-unit basis....

It's a shame the mayor isn't still in his summer offices as he'll be needed at the Fair to settle this mess. Also, don't think I've every seen "Local 1," very cool.

.... View attachment 275629 Football fans will find this a very large weekend, between the Army-Notre Dame game up at Yankee Stadium, North Carolina vs. Fordham at the Polo Grounds, and the Giants and Dodgers going at it Sunday at Ebbets Field. Total attendance for Saturday's college sets should hit 100,000, and there'll be a strong turnout at Brooklyn on Sunday to see if the Football Flock can break their ten-year losing streak against their uptown rivals....

I've been fighting it, especially after this year's disappointing 1940 and 2020 baseball seasons, but darn it, the Eagle is starting to suck me into 1940 football. I want to see the football Dodgers break the ten-year streak and beat the Giants (did I just say that, I need help).

...Meanwhile, a reported proposal by crooner Bing Crosby to purchase Boston's other ball club has been squelched by Commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis. The Judge ruled yesterday that Crosby's plan to buy the Boston Bees is out of order because of Crosby's involvement with horse racing out on the Coast....

William Holden telling Bing of Landis' decision.
countrygirl1.jpg

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Oct_30__1940_(7).jpg (Oakdale better hurry, or there won't be anything left.)...

After taxes, the Bungles will have about $250,000 in 2020 terms: a nice car, sure; a new house with a butler's pantry, not so much. Oh, and now we see why this makes sense:
  • Nearly one-third of lottery winners eventually declare bankruptcy (CFPBS)

... Daily_News_Wed__Oct_30__1940_(2).jpg
Well now, so Childs is going to splurge its advertising budget on radio, eh? Phil Cook, a jolly ukelele-playing song-and-patter personality, has been doing early mornings over WEAF or WABC for about ten years now, and his act is now about nine years' past its freshness date. Good move, Childs.....

One, how much does Childs hope you order the vegetable plate? There's got to be a good profit margin in that dish.

Two, a talking pie is looking like a pretty good idea about now.

Three, if a full meal costs 35 cents, how can a cocktail cost 25 cents? The ratio seems off.

... Daily_News_Wed__Oct_30__1940_(3).jpg
Ahhhhhhh, so Sam has money now, does he? Must be bootlegging all that water he turns into wine.....

Nick, where are you Nick? Axel? Fat candy-store lady? Oh heck, John Tecum?

...[ Daily_News_Thu__Oct_17__1940_(4).jpg "I'll just be over here in the corner, selling reefers."...

What happened to the judge, the police being after him, the disguise? Did that part of the story just get dumped down the Orwellian memory hole?

... Daily_News_Wed__Oct_30__1940_(4).jpg "I'll just be over here in the corner, selling reefers."..

"Dad, I need two bits a week to park my bike at school." "Where were you parking it before?" "Never mind."

... Daily_News_Wed__Oct_30__1940_(5).jpg Pat's been outside the window laughing up his sleeve the whole time....

At least Dude's hair seems to be growing in nicely. It's not at Smilin' Jack's thickness yet, but still, not bad for a couple of weeks - enough to get the DL off his back.

... Daily_News_Wed__Oct_30__1940_(7).jpg Horace really isn't that happy -- he just huffs a lot of rubber cement.....

"We'll frame on him." Never heard it used that way before.

... Daily_News_Wed__Oct_30__1940_(9).jpg Yeah, it runs in the family.

That joke was already at least six years old in 1940, but heck, it still works.
ihongable-bg-hitchhike.gif

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Bees just can't catch a break. They almost got expelled from the National League in 1935 after they got evicted from their ballpark when the owners of the field decided it would be more profitable to run dog racing there. Judge Landis didn't think much of that, either.

Bing, however, will one day emerge as part-owner of the Pirates. After, of course, Judge Landis has gone to that great Commissioner's Office In The Sky.

Lois de Fee there was quite a prominent personality around the raggedy edge of the Era. She spent many years in burlesque as the World's Tallest Stripper, and she only died within the past few years. Her personal effects, including her stage-music library and her scrapbooks, sold at auction for just $840. Sic transit gloria mundi.

The Bees just can't catch a break. They almost got expelled from the National League in 1935 after they got evicted from their ballpark when the owners of the field decided it would be more profitable to run dog racing there. Judge Landis didn't think much of that, either.

Bing, however, will one day emerge as part-owner of the Pirates. After, of course, Judge Landis has gone to that great Commissioner's Office In The Sky.

Lois de Fee there was quite a prominent personality around the raggedy edge of the Era. She spent many years in burlesque as the World's Tallest Stripper, and she only died within the past few years. Her personal effects, including her stage-music library and her scrapbooks, sold at auction for just $840. Sic transit gloria mundi.

I'd love to see the next expansion MLB team take the Bees for a name for the logo possibilities alone. I'm good for an overpriced cap and sweatshirt.

As to tall women in the GE, actress Bunny Waters at 6'2" (she came up in this thread a few weeks ago) - a very tall women by today's standards - had to be a towering giant in her day.

And yes, while a few do seem to gain immortality, much fame is ashes to ashes....

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21