Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

... View attachment 274078
(The Zazuzaz Girl? Name another word with four Z's in it.)...

Even counting it as one word, Ms. Gabor has only two in her first name, Zsa Zsa.

Back in Hollywood, Miss Sheridan was heard to condescendingly say, "Zazuzaz, it will never take off." She denies it, but maybe Miss Sheridan likes her sobriquet just a bit.

....Night baseball may be coming to Boston next season. Owner Tom Yawkey of the Red Sox is said to be leaning heavily in the direction of installing lights at Fenway Park for 1941. Neither Boston park presently has illumination....

I understand night games during the week, but the shame is that lights and TV ratings have driven many weekend games to the evening.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Oct_26__1940_(5).jpg (If ever there was a "take the money and run" situation, this would have to be it.)...

Wall Street has a wonderful aphorism that covers this situation perfectly: "Markets are made up of bulls, bears and pigs."

George is now morphing into a pig.

Oh, and the second half of that aphorism is "and pigs get slaughtered."

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Oct_26__1940_(7).jpg
(Um.)

I know!

.. Daily_News_Sat__Oct_26__1940_.jpg Elaine's publicist has been on her case lately. "If you're not on Page 4, you ain't anywhere!"...

Heck, I thought that divorce was already settled.

As to the maid story, isn't it odd that there's been all but no reference to the victim's husband (there may have been one brief one early on).

Mitchell should have gone for a percentage deal.

The Soviet gold deposit is interesting.

Hey, look at that, one more reason not to like "Wally."

... Daily_News_Sat__Oct_26__1940_(4).jpg Yeah, but you haven't sensed the trend. It's all about egg-throwing now....

It's a cliche for a good reason, never say anything to anyone until you talk to your lawyer first.

... Daily_News_Sat__Oct_26__1940_(7).jpg
What, you don't use an icepick? What would "Pittsburgh Phil" back in Brooklyn think?...

I can't believe I didn't see it until today: Raven Sherman is the spitting image of actress Lizabeth Scott, right down to the widow's peak, high cheekbones and scowl.
Lizabeth_Scott-publicity.JPG

... Daily_News_Sat__Oct_26__1940_(8).jpg What a nest of intrigue this office is....

The office intrigue stuff can wait, these two need to have their Mrs. Robinson moment...now.

... Daily_News_Sat__Oct_26__1940_(9)-2.jpg Well now! Grandpa here is a foxy old boy from Out West who is usually a pretty sharp thinker. Harold might get home with a few dollars in his pocket after all...."

So he's a good guy and won't fleece Harold himself?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
At this very moment in 1940, young Elizabeth Scott is preparing to hit the road with a touring company of "Hellzapoppin'." I wonder if she follows the funnies?

"Za-Zu-Zaz" was a Cab Calloway catch phrase, so I hope he sends his lawyer to talk things over with Miss Faye. The Famous Door is an ultra-hep swing club up on W. 52nd Street, where I am sure she would not have been unaware that the term has a prior claim.

Grampa Teen is generally a square shooter -- something rare in the circles in which Harold seems to travel -- but he does have a weakness when it comes to women. He has had dealings in the past with Lillums's Aunt Pruny, an elderly lady who loves to jitterbug, and has something of a rivalry with Pop Jenks as to who will earn her favors. But he also can have his head turned by younger ladies, and is prone to making Harold-like errors of judgement in such matters.

Prediction: when Harold arrives back home in Covina to assume his duties at Mr. Pipdyke's new plant, one or both of the Pipdyke girls will be waiting for him. And if it's the blonde, she'll change her mind and go after Grampa.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Republican Presidential nominee Wendell Willkie told an audience in Queens last night that the United States will become a dictatorship within four years if President Roosevelt is reelected. Mr. Willkie accused the President of "evading the issues" now facing the American people and charged that the New Deal has pursued a policy of "divide and conquer" by taking advantage of the formation of groups with special hatreds -- "racial, religious, and political" -- by "playing each of those groups against the other." Mr. Willkie stated that his policy will be one of "unite and serve."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_27__1940_.jpg

Amid brilliant displays of pyrotechnics, the World's Fair will close forever at 2 AM Monday, bringing to a conclusion the two-year extravaganza. Hundreds of detectives and patrolmen have been assigned to the Fair for this evening in anticipation of "hijinks," and there is a full schedule of special events to mark the Fair's end, with radio and movie favorite Eddie Cantor to serve as master of ceremonies. Fireworks will begin at 6pm, and at 7 Mr. Cantor will officially open the closing ceremonies as searchlights play over the Trylon and Perisphere to signal the start of a grand parade down Constitution Mall featuring fifteen bands and the beauty queens of each of the five boroughs. At midnight, a thirty-five-foot tall effigy of Uncle Sam made out of fireworks will appear over Liberty Lake, inaugurating what is advertised to be the single greatest exhibition of pyrotechnics ever launched. The singing of "The Star Spangled Banner" will conclude the show, ringing down the curtain on The World of Tomorrow.

Fair president Harvey D. Gibson announced today that, although all exhibits and attractions will be closed, the Fair grounds will open to the public tomorrow for those desiring to take one last look around before the start of demolition. Admission will be $2 for individuals and $5 for automobiles, with all proceeds from the day to be donated to the Red Cross.

France moved officially into the Axis lineup last night, signing an agreement with Germany "to restore peace in Europe." The announcement by the Vichy government headed by Premier Marshal Henri Petain was endorsed by the full French cabinet, and followed meetings between the Premier and German Fuehrer Adolf Hitler. It is believed that under the terms of the accord, France will "loan" Germany and Italy her Mediterranean air and sea bases in North Africa, similar to the arrangement Britain presently maintains with Egypt.

Secretary of State Cordell Hull today warned that the Axis powers of Germany, Italy, and Japan will seek to establish a "master and slave" relationship with the rest of the world, maintained by brute force. Speaking to a meeting of the National Press Club broadcast over a nationwide radio hookup, Secretary Hull stated that the Axis nations "adhere to no geographic lines and they fix no time limit on their programs of invasion and destruction."

An eight-year battle for control of the 1400 kc frequency by four Brooklyn radio stations could come to a conclusion today in a conference to be held at the Hotel Granada. The owners of stations WBBC, WARD, WLTH, and WVFW have all operated on the 1400 kc channel in a time-sharing agreement, but are now said to be considering a plan to amalgamate into a single new station which would operate full time at an increased power of 5000 watts, ten times the power now used by the individual stations. The Federal Communications Commission, in investigating the dispute among the stations, has declared that there is no substantial difference in the service offered by the stations operating on an individual basis, and that continuing that arrangement or reallocating the time used by each individual station will not serve the public interest. A new 5000 watt station would ensure full coverage for the entire borough.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_27__1940_(1).jpg
(Yeah, don't say these guys can't get things done!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_27__1940_(2).jpg

(Nine more days. Just nine more days.)

The Bishop of the Apostolic Episcopal Church of Broad Channel predicts that President Roosevelt will beat Wendell Willkie. The Right Reverend Arthur W. Brooks is an astrologer of note as well as being a man of the cloth, and he says Mr. Willkie made a significant error by accepting the nomination "in the dark of the moon," adding that the Republican Party's horoscope displays certain "malific planetary aspects" similar to those of the Federalist and Whig parties during the days of their decline. Rev. Brooks predicts that the year ahead will not only find the GOP out of power, but engaged in a struggle for its very survival.

Cornell swept the scarlet scourge of Ohio State off the field at Schoelkopf Field in Ithaca before a crowd of 34,000, surging to a decisive 21-7 victory. The Buckeyes scored the first time they got the ball, but the Cornellians made sure they didn't get another chance, dominating play for the rest of the game.

NYU became Georgetown's 21st straight victim, falling yesterday at Yankee Stadium 26-0. The Hoyas haven't lost a game since 1938, and the Violets offered little in the way of competition.

At press time Saturday night, the Football Dodgers held a 7-0 lead at halftime over the Eagles in Philadelphia.

Speaking of Philadelphia, Larry MacPhail is still very much interested in relieving Phillies owner Gerry Nugent of one of his prize pitchers, with hard-throwing righthander Kirby Higbe at the top of the wish list. MacPhail is said to be ready to offer a package of players to bring Higbe to Ebbets Field in 1941, with some combination of Luke Hamilin, infielder Johnny Hudson, and catcher Babe Phelps on the table. If Phelps goes, the Dodgers will be left without a first-string catcher, meaning there will need to be an effort to get one, but it's possible that Hamlin and Hudston could be bundled with sufficient cash to convince the always-broke Nugent to come to terms. If Higbe can't be obtained, there's also Brooklyn interest in Hugh Mulcahy, who rose above his old "Losing Pitcher" nickname to have a fine year for the Phils in 1940. But the problem with Mulcahy is that he is single and 27 years old, rendering him prime material for the draft.

Pitcher Tom Ferrick, who starred this past summer with the Bushwicks, will be signed by the Philadelphia Athletics, bringing the righthander to the major leagues two years after the Giants tossed him on the scrap pile with a sore arm. Ferrick was 10-2 for the Bushwicks this year, and seems to have fully recovered from his 1938 injury. At present, Ferrick is earning his hamburgers laying pipe for the Kearney Shipbuilding Company in New Jersey.

Old Timer Dr. Frederick Hechel lives in Larchmont now, but he remembers the Gay 90s, when he worked his way thru medical school as a pharmacist in Greenpoint. "What do you hear from the Distler boys from Java Street?"

The man in charge of tearing down The World Of Tomorrow makes the grade on Trend this week --
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_27__1940_(3).jpg

"Cabin In The Sky" is the most exciting "Negro show" on Broadway in years, but backstage it's got a decided Russian accent. Director George Balanchine, composer Vernon Duke, and scenic designer Boris Aronson were all born and raised in Moscow. The show is unique among "Negro shows" in that it features no tap-dancing and no spirituals at all.

Tonight on the Gulf Screen Guild Theatre program, Jean Arthur, Walter Pidgeon and Jeffrey Lynn star in a condensation of "Jezebel." Hear it at 730 PM on WABC -- or tune in right here:

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_27__1940_(4).jpg
(Point of order: it has always bothered me to hear Western-type characters call their enemies "dirty coyotes." There is nothing particularly dirty about coyotes. I met one this summer, and he seemed like a perfectly clean animal. He wasn't mangy, either. So there.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_27__1940_(5).jpg
(I used to darn my holes, now I just damn them.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_27__1940_(6).jpg
(Smoking cornsilk again, are we?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_27__1940_(7).jpg
(Hey Dan, hate to interrupt -- but did you lose a monogrammed cufflink?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_27__1940_(8).jpg
(George could avoid so many of his problems if he just refused to open the door.)

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
Headlines and Smilin' Jack from the last three days...
I thought I recalled seeing the man with the mustache before but could not pin point where. And low and behold the fabulous readers pointed out it was Dewey all along, HOORAY!
1 (2).png
2 (2).png
3 (2).png
4 (2).png
5 (2).png
6 (2).png

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_27__1940_.jpg
I think I remember the Tringalis coming to our attention before, quite a while back, either in the Eagle or the News. A sequel is rarely a good idea.

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_27__1940_(1).jpg
It's always fun to be featured on the Hill Page, but I wish he'd put me in the radio scene instead of the library.

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_27__1940_(2).jpg
See, Tracy, this is what happens when you let your kid run around loose unsupervised in the street.

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_27__1940_(3).jpg
I mean, you don't see Chester getting mixed up in shady parking-lot scams.

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_27__1940_(4).jpg
As a fan of Urban Street Furniture Of The Era, I'm fascinated by the fact that someone seems to have taken the back seat out of a 1931 Chevrolet and chained it to a post for the kids to sit on. Are they afraid someone will try to steal it? Also, it's nice to see that Mamie finally took my advice and got a real pair of shoes.

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_27__1940_(5).jpg
Oh come now Raven, you can speak more plainly than that.

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_27__1940_(6).jpg

Dude and Downwind belong to the same union.

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_27__1940_(7).jpg
Look, maybe she's just got a thing for little guys with gloves.

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_27__1940_(8).jpg

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_27__1940_(9).jpg
Now just a minute. Wasn't the deal with Sam that he was practically destitute before he moved in with the Slaggs -- and now he's speculating in commercial leases? How'dya swing that?

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
I too recall in the tenement apartment I lived in there was a similar fridge, and I could not understand why the little door on the shoebox freezer was missing. At that time I was still eating meat and was concerned that the meat would spoil. Which was very interesting now that I think about it. And right around this time I simply got tired of the clean up that one has to do after handling raw meat and I believe that is ultimately what also made me give up eating meat.

... View attachment 274564 (Yeah, don't say these guys can't get things done!)...

No kidding. In NYC today, we'd still be fighting over the terms of discussing the fence while opposing street protest went on every night. We'd probably be two to four years from a fence actually being built.

.Tonight on the Gulf Screen Guild Theatre program, Jean Arthur, Walter Pidgeon and Jeffrey Lynn star in a condensation of "Jezebel." Hear it at 730 PM on WABC -- or tune in right here:

I can't wait to hear this as that's a heck of a lot of story to condense to thirty minutes. Also, looking forward to Jean Arthur's voice in the role.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_27__1940_(5).jpg (I used to darn my holes, now I just damn them.)...

I'm suspicious that King Carol actually "shouted down" Hitler.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_27__1940_(7).jpg (Hey Dan, hate to interrupt -- but did you lose a monogrammed cufflink?)...

Keeping with our operatic theme, you know in the movie version, The Ride of the Valkyries will be playing as Dan leads the attack on the Fazian base.

... Daily_News_Sun__Oct_27__1940_.jpg I think I remember the Tringalis coming to our attention before, quite a while back, either in the Eagle or the News. A sequel is rarely a good idea...

The three Vera Whites is pretty crazy.

I love the Daily News admonition, in the middle of the article, to "Keep on Reading."

It might take several months or more, but I think we'll be hearing about the Marshall-Bryan couple again on Page Four.

Can't believe I never noticed, until last week, that "The Neighbors" didn't publish on Sunday, but now that I have, I miss them.

... Daily_News_Sun__Oct_27__1940_(2).jpg See, Tracy, this is what happens when you let your kid run around loose unsupervised in the street....

Where have the kids been parking their bicycles until now?

... Daily_News_Sun__Oct_27__1940_(5).jpg Oh come now Raven, you can speak more plainly than that....

The DL plays the game at such a higher level than Raven that Raven should just get on board the DL train as it's the only one out of this mess. Smart people know to recognize and respect smarter people. Leveraging someone's else's superior brains and skills can be a very intelligent move.

...[ Daily_News_Sun__Oct_27__1940_(9).jpg Now just a minute. Wasn't the deal with Sam that he was practically destitute before he moved in with the Slaggs -- and now he's speculating in commercial leases? How'dya swing that?

It's almost like he can walk on water.

In NYC, there is a cottage industry of rich husbands / lovers / "friends" who help young, attractive women open businesses like "boutique" dress / chocolate / jewelry shops that almost always fail.

4 (2).png

1. Come on, her hair should be a complete mess by now.
2. "It was worth swallowing half the ocean to make you say it." Uh-huh.
3. Jack wants to backpedal so fast right now that he'll blast right through the room's wall.

...Tonight on the Gulf Screen Guild Theatre program, Jean Arthur, Walter Pidgeon and Jeffrey Lynn star in a condensation of "Jezebel." Hear it at 730 PM on WABC -- or tune in right here:

Wow, they mashed that story down to less than thirty minutes, didn't they? Hate to say it, but Ms. Arthur's voice, which is sharp but piquant coming from her blonde cuteness on screen, is a bit harsh on the radio. Not terrible, but not as appealing as on the screen. Also, I don't think Walter Pidgeon was part of the show. Oh, next week, fresh from divorce court, John Barrymore.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
These half-hour movie adaptations are always really bare-bones -- Lux does a somewhat better job with the hour-long shows, but the basic challenge remains the same.

I got the sense that Ms. Arthur was not comfortable with that dialect -- it's very hard to do that kind of magnolia drawl without sounding hokey, especially if you only have a couple of hours to rehearse.

Pidgeon must have slept in that day and forgot to show up -- he got billing in the paper, but must've been a last minute scratch.

Barrymore is about a year away from his sudden career revival as a radio stooge for Rudy Vallee. I'm looking forward to what he does next week.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
President Roosevelt broke ground today for the $80,000,000 Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel and then set out on a borough wide tour that may help decide New York State's 47 electoral votes. The president traveled across Brooklyn today and then to Manhattan, where he will appear tonight at Madison Square Garden. The President, who narrowly missed being hit by an onion, an egg, and a lemon hurled from the sidewalk as he passed the intersection of 4th and Atlantic Avenues, declared after arriving for the groundbreaking ceremonies that he hopes to return in four years to assist Mayor LaGuardia in dedicating the completed tunnel.

In Manhattan, a crowd estimated at half a million people turned out to greet the President along 7th Avenue, from the garment district to Times Square. A snowstorm of ticker tape and torn papers fluttered down from overlooking windows as the Presidential motorcade made its way up the Avenue. In Brooklyn, heaviest crowds turned out along the final leg of the motorcade along 4th Avenue from President Street to Flatbush Avenue. Of the more than 75,000 persons on hand to greet the President, it was observed that more than 90 percent appeared to be of voting age.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Oct_28__1940_.jpg

Police arrested two Brooklyn sisters in the wake of the onion, egg, and lemon-throwing incident, charging 21-year-old Italia D'Arbe and her 17 year old sister Mary of 578 Atlantic Avenue with disorderly conduct after they were spotted by a patrolman on the roof of a house at 18 4th Avenue. The older sister denied the charge, but the younger admitted that they were responsible for the missiles. "I didn't throw the egg," insisted Italia. "There isn't one in the house, and if there was, I wouldn't waste it on that guy. Why don't they do something to the people who threw things at Willkie?"

The British Navy came to the aid of invaded Greece today in the first day of her war with Italy, and according to informed sources took over the strategic 150-mile long island of Crete as Greece's little army fought the Italians all along the northern frontier.

Unconfirmed reports from Berlin state today that the Soviet Union has made a diplomatic protest to Berlin and Rome of the extension of the war by those powers into the Balkan states. It was reported that the Soviet representations were made following a two-hour conference between Soviet Foreign Minister V. M. Molotov and Turkish Ambassador to Moscow Haydar Aktay. Meanwhile, Yugoslavia feared today that it would be swept into the flaming war in the Balkans, possibly thru German demands for free passage of troops thru Yugoslav territory, a demand the Yugoslavian government indicated that it would resist.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Oct_28__1940_(1).jpg

(The Futurama, perhaps the Boys' most impressive and elaborate prewar accomplishment, predicted the construction of a high-speed interstate highway system by 1960, along with the apparent extinction of railroads, public transportation, and pedestrians.)

The World's Greatest Exposition is now a $155,000,000 corpse, with a few curiosity seekers wandering the grounds today to view the remains at $2 a head or $5 a carload. The World's Fair went out, however, with a bang -- drawing an all-time record attendance of 537,952 for its final day yesterday, bringing all-time Fair attendance to a two-year total of just under 45 million persons. That tops by some six million the two-year record of the 1933-34 Chicago fair, but was still not enough to bring the New York fair out of the red. When the books for the Flushing exposition are finally closed, they will show a defecit of over $18 million, with bondholders expected to receive 38 cents on the dollar for their investments.

Crews are on the grounds today beginning the process of emptying the futuristic white buildings of their contents in preparation for demolition. Workers from the National Youth Administration were on the grounds this morning digging up trees marked for transplantation into the new Flushing Meadow Park that will take over the Fair site once all structures have been razed.

Old Pete McGuinness will forever call Greenpoint "the garden spot of the woild," but in fact the community is the industrial hub of Brooklyn, with Newtown Creek considered mile-for-mile the single busiest waterway in the United States, serving the needs of the vast fat-rendering, sugar-refining, and paint-and-varnish plants that dot the Greenpoint map. Other important products manufactured in Greenpoint include iron and sheet steel goods, chairs, paper boxes, knit goods, and shoes. The community claims fame on another score as well, one of great historic import: it was at Greenpoint that the United States Navy's first ironclad warship, the famous Monitor, was constructed and launched in 1862.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Oct_28__1940_(2).jpg

(Well now. This bald-headed Lichty admiral is not just any old bald-headed Licthy admiral. He's a SPECIFIC bald-headed Licthy admiral -- with his own logo, yet. Guess we'll be seeing him again.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Oct_28__1940_(3).jpg
(Or if you're a Willkie voter, 24 days until FRANKSgiving. Yes indeed, for the second consecutive year there will be two different dates for Turkey Day depending on what state you live in.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Oct_28__1940_(4).jpg
(Football has been played at Ebbets Field since 1913, and will continue to be played there for many years to come. But that doesn't mean it doesn't still seem weird and off, like finding a pickle floating in your milkshake.)

To the surprise of no observers, Oscar Vitt has been relieved of his position as manager of the Cleveland Indians. The Tribe's board of directors voted today not to offer Vitt a new contract for 1941, bringing his tumultous reign in Cleveland to an end. Vitt had managed the Indians since 1938, racking up two third place finishes and a close second, but his tenure was marred by constant dissension with players, capped finally by an out-and-out player rebellion this past summer that many feel robbed the Tribe of a chance at the pennant. Cleveland owner Alva Bradley acknowledges that he has spoken to Senators manager Bucky Harris -- who at 44 years of age has been a major league manager for 17 years -- as well as Indians coach Luke Sewell about taking over the club for 1941, but no decision has yet been made.

With the Chicago Bears putting the Football Giants to sleep at the Polo Grounds yesterday by a score of 37 to 21, the Football Dodgers have for the moment a firm lock on second place in the National Football League's Eastern Division as they prepare to meet the Giants themselves next week. The Washington Redskins, undefeated in six games, remain soldily atop the division. The Dodgers will have to win all five of their remaining games, and the Redskins must lose at least two for the Football Flock to have at least a chance for a tie.

President Roosevelt's campaign speech from Madison Square Garden tonight will be broadcast by WJZ, WMCA, and WQXR, beginning at 10 PM.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Oct_28__1940_(5).jpg
(And once again, we move from whimsical comedy to gruesome body horror.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Oct_28__1940_(7).jpg
(Yeah, you do that.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Oct_28__1940_(6).jpg
(Good, he left Sunny behind. But I still think he shoulda taken Dennie.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Oct_28__1940_(8).jpg
("Aw, c'mon! JUST ONE MORE PLANE!")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_28__1940_.jpg
And on the strength of this and similar stunts, the energetic Miss Falkenberg will soon earn the honor of being named "Miss Rheingold of 1940." Which just shows to go what you can do if you try.

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_28__1940_(1).jpg

"Yeah, lissen. I want th' same kind as that gal got in 'Smilin' Jack.'"

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_28__1940_(2).jpg

Is anyone else here as bothered as I am by the thought of what will happen to this poor soul if he gets tackled?

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_28__1940_(3).jpg
Matthew 6:26.

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_28__1940_(4).jpg
Tracy is the dumbest dad in all of comicdom.

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_28__1940_(5).jpg
Tick tick tick tick tick tick tick...

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_28__1940_(6).jpg
Front page? Bah. You haven't really made it till you hit Page Four.

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_28__1940_(7).jpg
Mr. Wumple's Epic Troll of All Trolls kicks up a notch.

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_28__1940_(8).jpg
Mamie's going to give Jinx a run for her money in that Miss Rheingold contest.

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_28__1940_(9).jpg
Did I mention Gramps is also kind of a hepcat?

...The World's Greatest Exposition is now a $155,000,000 corpse, with a few curiosity seekers wandering the grounds today to view the remains at $2 a head or $5 a carload. The World's Fair went out, however, with a bang -- drawing an all-time record attendance of 537,952 for its final day yesterday, bringing all-time Fair attendance to a two-year total of just under 45 million persons. That tops by some six million the two-year record of the 1933-34 Chicago fair, but was still not enough to bring the New York fair out of the red. When the books for the Flushing exposition are finally closed, they will show a defecit of over $18 million, with bondholders expected to receive 38 cents on the dollar for their investments....

It seemed so successful, but clearly, financially it wasn't as the investors are, obviously, taking a big loss. Also, our only window into it was the Eagle, which had monetary reasons to present an "all is super" Fair narrative regardless of the real story.

... View attachment 274888 (Football has been played at Ebbets Field since 1913, and will continue to be played there for many years to come. But that doesn't mean it doesn't still seem weird and off, like finding a pickle floating in your milkshake.)...

Back from the editors: ...like finding a pickle floating in y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶k̶s̶h̶a̶k̶e̶ anything you are drinking. :)

...To the surprise of no observers, Oscar Vitt has been relieved of his position as manager of the Cleveland Indians. The Tribe's board of directors voted today not to offer Vitt a new contract for 1941, bringing his tumultous reign in Cleveland to an end. Vitt had managed the Indians since 1938, racking up two third place finishes and a close second, but his tenure was marred by constant dissension with players, capped finally by an out-and-out player rebellion this past summer that many feel robbed the Tribe of a chance at the pennant. Cleveland owner Alva Bradley acknowledges that he has spoken to Senators manager Bucky Harris -- who at 44 years of age has been a major league manager for 17 years -- as well as Indians coach Luke Sewell about taking over the club for 1941, but no decision has yet been made....

Spot-on call Lizzie.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Oct_28__1940_(8).jpg (Good, he left Sunny behind. But I still think he shoulda taken Dennie.)...

One more time: Nice to see Mary with some fight back in her. Now that we've got the story, I vote for Mary going to the police to have Leach arrested for blackmail and letting the chips fall where they may for her no-good son. That said, I'll bet Leach doesn't have anything on the son anyway.

... Daily_News_Mon__Oct_28__1940_.jpg And on the strength of this and similar stunts, the energetic Miss Falkenberg will soon earn the honor of being named "Miss Rheingold of 1940." Which just shows to go what you can do if you try....

Nickname for sure, but Jinx Falkenberg belongs in the Name Hall of Fame.

Best article I've ever read about Tuxedo Park (you'll never think about it the same way): https://www.epsilontheory.com/a-new-gilded-age/

... Daily_News_Mon__Oct_28__1940_(1).jpg
"Yeah, lissen. I want th' same kind as that gal got in 'Smilin' Jack.'"...

:)

.... Daily_News_Mon__Oct_28__1940_(2).jpg
Is anyone else here as bothered as I am by the thought of what will happen to this poor soul if he gets tackled?...

Yes, but, the anthropomorphic pies beat anything Childs has done. Heck, I enjoy the kitschiness of them.

...[ Daily_News_Mon__Oct_28__1940_(4).jpg Tracy is the dumbest dad in all of comicdom....

Like the cobbler's kids wearing tattered shoes. Also, just to repeat, where are the kids parking their bicycles now?

... Daily_News_Mon__Oct_28__1940_(5)-2.jpg Tick tick tick tick tick tick tick....

As if Chopstick wouldn't try to cash in on both Raven and Dude.

...[ Daily_News_Mon__Oct_28__1940_(7).jpg Mr. Wumple's Epic Troll of All Trolls kicks up a notch....

Maybe our Miss Snipe really is a super cougar and she's eying the younger meat. I know they can't do it in 1940's comic-strip land, but man would that be an in-your-face to Skeezix.

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
Oh, my! I just noticed I mixed two newspapers together by mistake. I was totally not paying attention to the dates even thought I thought I clicked on October 27 when I needed to log back on, the other date was for October 31, 1940:oops:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner