Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
1 (2).png
2 (2).png
3 (2).png
4 (2).png
5 (2).png
6 (2).png
7 (2).png
8 (2).png
9 (2).png
10 (2).png

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
21 (2).png

Nice to see an ad for Mountain Valley Mineral Water. This was Elvis Presley's favorite water to drink. I've had it and its great water to drink when I want to drink something with fizz but without sugar.
22 (2).png
23 (2).png
24 (2).png
25 (2).png
26 (2).png
27 (2).png
28 (2).png
29 (2).png
30 (2).png

Women must have spent an insane amount of time back then to get their hair to things like this.
2 (2).png

...Nice to see an ad for Mountain Valley Mineral Water. This was Elvis Presley's favorite water to drink. I've had it and its great water to drink when I want to drink something with fizz but without sugar....

It's just a shame he used it to wash down a few too many fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches, oh, and drugs. :)

"Thoroly" was that ever an acceptable spelling?
28 (2).png

Um, are we gonna talk about Joy or what?
30 (2).png

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's good Downwind has a business plan in mind if he's thinking of getting married.

Colonel McCormick was -- ah -- passionate about many things. "Simplified Spelling" was one of them. He's been crusading for that since the 1910s, and such constructions as "foto" and "thoroly" will be common in the Tribune for as long as he lives. But strangely, he never called himself "Kernel McCormick." Hmmmmmm.

I can think of no place that would be more fun to spend Election Night than the Roller Derby. I'm astounded they don't have that going on in Brooklyn.

It's good Downwind has a business plan in mind if he's thinking of getting married.

Colonel McCormick was -- ah -- passionate about many things. "Simplified Spelling" was one of them. He's been crusading for that since the 1910s, and such constructions as "foto" and "thoroly" will be common in the Tribune for as long as he lives. But strangely, he never called himself "Kernel McCormick." Hmmmmmm.

I can think of no place that would be more fun to spend Election Night than the Roller Derby. I'm astounded they don't have that going on in Brooklyn.

I think, yesterday, Downwind told us his real post-marriage business plan - to live off his wife's inheritance.

Great color on the spelling. "Foto" you see here and there, "thoroly" not so much.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Nov_6__1940_.jpg
(And that's that.)

Republican Presidential nominee Wendell Willkie has yet to formally concede the election. "Don't be afraid and never quit," he advised his followers at the Hotel Commodore after retiring early this morning after a long night spent in receiving returns. Meanwhile, Mrs. Willkie acknowledged to reporters that the way things turned out are a kind of "left handed victory" for her. "I've never had a public life until this campaign," she explained before retiring early this morning. "I do like my own privacy. I like to sit behind a post, or behind a big fat lady, as I did yesterday at the movies."

The chief of the Democratic Party in Brooklyn relayed a message from the victorious President to the people of the borough as the results came in. "The President sends his love to all of you," reported Kings County Democratic Chairman Frank (Victory) Kelly, after speaking with Mr. Roosevelt via a telephone booth at County Democratic Headquarters on Court Street.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Nov_6__1940_(1).jpg
(Jeez, Eddie, you're gonna have to do better than that. $1.25? You think we're made of money?)

An estimated 50,000 persons in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut gathered around television receivers in homes, hotels, bars, and party headquarters to watch the first televised presidential election returns. The National Broadcasting Company telecast Associated Press results last night over its station W2XBS, which had its cameras aimed at a news printer to show the numbers as soon as they were received.

Preston Sturges' latest satirical comedy opened this week at the Times Square Tivoli, and Herbert Cohn calls "Christmas in July" "a grand lift to the November movie schedule." The new picture shows that Mr. Sturges spends a lot of his time listening to the radio, as he tells the story of a $22 a week clerk who wants to marry an $18 a week clerk -- only to have his life upended thanks to a radio-show slogan contest. His entry -- "If You Don't Sleep At Night, It's Not The Coffee -- It's The Bunk!" -- inspires his coworkers to send him a fake telegram telling him he's won a $25,000 prize, and grand complications ensue that turn the happy couple's lives upside down. Dick Powell and Ellen Drew are fine as the boy and girl, with Ernest Truex as the boss who thinks Powell ought to become a professional adman -- whether he wants to or not.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Nov_6__1940_(2).jpg

("Ha!" says a Giants fan. "Doncha mean LOSER'S?")

The Eagle Editorialist congratulates President Roosevelt on his third term, but points out that his margin of victory was considerably less than his landslide victory in 1936, and that should serve as a warning that the views of the minority should be given greater consideration during the years ahead. The EE also urges both sides to call upon their followers to put aside all bitterness and partisan feelings to close ranks for a united America. "That is the greatest need of the United States on this day after the close of one of the bitterest election campaigns in American history."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Nov_6__1940_(3).jpg

("Pffft! You lost! Sew your own buttons!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Nov_6__1940_(4).jpg
("Hah!" exults Sally. "I'm goin' downa cannystore -- I gotta collect!" Joe blinks his eyes as she rushes out the door, and hopes she doesn't find out *he* bet on Manual.

Tiger slugger Hank Greenberg is the American League's Most Valuable Player for 1940, in the annual award given by the Baseball Writers' Association of America. It's Hammerin' Hank's second MVP award in five years. Bob Feller of the Indians came in second, with Joe DiMaggio of the Yankees third.

Football Dodgers tackle Bruiser Kinkaid was discharged today form Long Island Hospital after receiving a skin graft on his infected right hand. Kinkaid insists he will play Sunday against the Redskins even if he has to do so with a special cast on the injured had. The Dodgers will need to be at full strength if they hope to stop Washington's Slingin' Sammy Baugh, greatest forward passer of them all.

The President and Founder of the Society For The Prevention of Disparaging Remarks About Brooklyn will go on the air tomorrow night on the "Believe It Or Not!" broadcast. Alexander Shankman of 320 Legion Street in Brownsville will be interviewed by Robert L. Ripley, and has reportedly been rummaging thru Brooklyn Chamber Of Commerce files to come up with facts to put the borough in the best possible light for the listening audience. Hear him Friday night at 10pm over WABC.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Nov_6__1940_(5).jpg
(Ahhhhhh, the plot advances at last!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Nov_6__1940_(6).jpg
(There is no sleeping dog in the world that George is willing to let lie.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Nov_6__1940_(7).jpg
("A few scrapes." Suuuuuure.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Nov_6__1940_(8).jpg
("I could feel it when he went overboard." Even in moments of crisis, Dan can't wait to get in one last dig.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News....

Daily_News_Wed__Nov_6__1940_.jpg

Ah for the days when you didn't have to wait a week.

Daily_News_Wed__Nov_6__1940_(1).jpg
"Today's regularly scheduled Page Four will not be presented today so that we may bring you the following special coverage. Page Four will return tomorrow at its regular time."

Daily_News_Wed__Nov_6__1940_(2).jpg

Something tells me that Mr. Willkie will go on to accomplish a great deal over the next few years -- perhaps even more than he could have accomplished had he won the election. He will, in fact, become the very model of a Great Ex-Presidential Nominee.

Daily_News_Wed__Nov_6__1940_(3).jpg
Awww. Myrna's a real brick.

Daily_News_Wed__Nov_6__1940_(4).jpg
"Alright, so that's how it is," says Pat. "Okay then. We rob the bank."

Daily_News_Wed__Nov_6__1940_(5).jpg
"Deafy?" Jeez, Gould, can't you do better than that? "Earplug?" "Tymp Membrane?"

Daily_News_Wed__Nov_6__1940_(6).jpg
In all the long history of comics, motion pictures, radio, or written literature, has the phrase "I demand an explanation!" ever produced a positive result?

Daily_News_Wed__Nov_6__1940_(7).jpg
How old is Horace, anyway? Twelve?

Daily_News_Wed__Nov_6__1940_(8).jpg
If I had the power to materialize an armchair out of nothing, I could think of a good solution to the problem of what to do with unwanted houseguests.

Daily_News_Wed__Nov_6__1940_(9).jpg
Nice to hear Lillums' mother is still her same sweet self. Pruny's a good old egg though, and I doubt she's going to cooperate.

View attachment 277990 ...An estimated 50,000 persons in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut gathered around television receivers in homes, hotels, bars, and party headquarters to watch the first televised presidential election returns. The National Broadcasting Company telecast Associated Press results last night over its station W2XBS, which had its cameras aimed at a news printer to show the numbers as soon as they were received....

50,000 is a heck of a lot higher than the several hundred I was thinking as stupid me forgot about public venues like bars and hotels, etc. How quaint is this: "station W2XBS, which had its cameras aimed at a news printer to show the numbers as soon as they were received"

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Nov_6__1940_(2).jpg
("Ha!" says a Giants fan. "Doncha mean LOSER'S?")...

:( I'd buy a tie anyway, so there. :)

... View attachment 277999 ("Hah!" exults Sally. "I'm goin' downa cannystore -- I gotta collect!" Joe blinks his eyes as she rushes out the door, and hopes she doesn't find out *he* bet on Manual....

Really Joe? [said with a combination disparaging and disappointed inflection]

...Football Dodgers tackle Bruiser Kinkaid was discharged today form Long Island Hospital after receiving a skin graft on his infected right hand. Kinkaid insists he will play Sunday against the Redskins even if he has to do so with a special cast on the injured had. The Dodgers will need to be at full strength if they hope to stop Washington's Slingin' Sammy Baugh, greatest forward passer of them all....

Oh but for just one prescription of penicillin.

...The President and Founder of the Society For The Prevention of Disparaging Remarks About Brooklyn will go on the air tomorrow night on the "Believe It Or Not!" broadcast. Alexander Shankman of 320 Legion Street in Brownsville will be interviewed by Robert L. Ripley, and has reportedly been rummaging thru Brooklyn Chamber Of Commerce files to come up with facts to put the borough in the best possible light for the listening audience. Hear him Friday night at 10pm over WABC....

Brooklyn is only one borough of a large city, how'd you like to grow up in an entire state, oh, like say New Jersey, that needed a Society For The Prevention of Disparaging Remarks? :)

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Nov_6__1940_(6).jpg (There is no sleeping dog in the world that George is willing to let lie.)...

Moving companies (as have most service companies), at least in NYC, have solved the dead-beat customer issue: if you don't give them a valid credit card in advance (and they check it), nothing moves. But they still break and "lose" stuff, as they have in every single one of my seven or so NYC moves over the past three decades.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Nov_6__1940_(7).jpg ("A few scrapes." Suuuuuure.)...

Shame lunch got interrupted, looks like a good diner - bet you could get an excellent piece of pie there.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Nov_6__1940_(8).jpg ("I could feel it when he went overboard." Even in moments of crisis, Dan can't wait to get in one last dig.)

Not just saying it, I didn't miss that either. In the first draft, this is what Dan said, "I could feel it when fat boy went overboard," but Marsh toned it down in the final edit.

...[ Daily_News_Wed__Nov_6__1940_(5).jpg "Deafy?" Jeez, Gould, can't you do better than that? "Earplug?" "Tymp Membrane?"....

Underwhelmed so far. Seems like an awful lot of effort - that's also leaving the police some clear clues - to try to sell bikes and bike parts.

... Daily_News_Wed__Nov_6__1940_(9).jpg Nice to hear Lillums' mother is still her same sweet self. Pruny's a good old egg though, and I doubt she's going to cooperate.

"Marry her off," a phrase that has fortunately all but disappeared.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
President Franklin D. Roosevelt arrived back in Washington today for a tumultuous reception by hundreds of thousands of persons following his re-election to an unprecedented third term in the White House. Police estimated crowds along the Union Station plaza alone to be in the range of fifty to sixty thousand persons, while approximately three hundred thousand spectators flanked Pennsylvania Avenue to witness the President's return trip to the Executive Mansion. The U. S. Army Band struck up "Happy Days Are Here Again," Mr. Roosevelt's campaign theme song, as the Chief Executive appeared on the platform for a brief address to supporters. The President thanked his "old friends in Washington" for the reception, declaring that he and Mrs. Roosevelt "very much like farm life, but of all the cities we would rather live in Washington D. C. than anyplace else." Upon the conclusion of the President's brief comments, the band swung into "God Bless America," said to the President's "new favorite."

Meanwhile, the re-elected President is preparing to lead the country thru a four year period in which war or peace, prosperity or depression hang in the balance. A $15,000,000,000 rearmament program is stoking the furnaces of industry for National Defense, and to make the nation the world-wide supply depot for democracy's resistance to aggression. Mr. Roosevelt is chief of state today as no American has been before him, with overwhelming popular approval for his policies of social reform and aggressive -- if short of war -- defense of democracy. No vital changes of New Deal policies are indicated, but the tempo of aid to Britain and of disapproval of Japan's activities seem due to increase.

The first six Brooklyn men to be examined for classification under the nation's first peacetime draft reported today to Local Draft Board 134 in Downtown Brooklyn. They are Victor Valentin of 202 York Street, Fernando L. Gonzalez of 41-43 Sands Street, Gilbert Pagan of 202 York Street, Stephen J. Notskiewicz of 303 Water Street, Fred Hughey, "Negro," of 174 Duffield Street, and Paul T. Reed, "Negro," of 14 Fleet Street. The six men, all of whom were assigned early draft numbers in the recent Selective Service Lottery chose to waive conscription in order to volunteer for immediate service. If they pass their physical examinations, they will the first of the first month's quota of 600 Brooklyn men to be taken into the Army between November 5th and November 30th.

Long-range British warplanes pounded the Berlin suburbs again today, striking a railway junction northwest of the German capital, and also bombing industrial facilities at Leune, Dusseldorf, and Hamburg. Additional planes were reported to have hit long-range German gun emplacements at Camp Griz Nez on the French coast.

Sirens howled in London again at noon today, giving the British capital a daylight attack following on the heels on the longest night alert of the war. Londoners emerged from their shelters not long after the daylight raiders were driven off by British fighter planes.

Vaccination of the brain may prove the key to protection against the ravages of infantile paralysis. The National Foundation of Infantile Paralysis announced today that trials of a possible vaccine delivered directly into the brain cells attacked by the disease is now being tried on monkeys, and uses a form of the virus that has been killed by heat. So far, none of the monkeys so treated have been killed by the vaccine, and the next step will be to expose them to the active virus to observe the extent of protection.

Actress Mary Boland, one of the best known character players of the screen, was injured last night in an automobile collision in Palm Springs, California. The sixty-year-old comedienne suffered several broken ribs, a dislocated hip, and a forehead gash when her chauffeur-driven station wagon collided with another auto. One of her two dogs, riding with her in the car, disappeared in the aftermath of the crash and hasnot yet been found. Miss Boland's chauffeur and the driver of the other vehicle suffered only minor injuries.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Nov_7__1940_.jpg

("Orange pine vapor bath???")

The future plans of defeated Republican presidential nominee Wendell Willkie are the focus of much speculation today, with rumors swirling that President Roosevelt will offer him "an important post" in the Government. After wiring his congratulations to the President yesterday, Mr. Willkie declared that he will continue to "work for the unity of our people in the completion of our defense effort, in sending aid to Britain, and in insistence on removing all antagonisms in America, all to the end that the Government of free men may continue and may spread again upon the earth." Mr. Willkie and his wife will leave for a vacation in the South once all remaining campaign tasks are mopped up, and he promised to issue a formal statement upon his future plans once that vacation is over.

Although the election has been resolved to a Roosevelt victory, ballots continue to be counted today in Michigan, where Mr. Roosevelt continues to hold a narrow lead over Mr. Willkie. Fifty six precincts remained uncounted this morning, with the President leading by approximately 4000 votes. Poll observers believe that there is little chance that Willkie can overcome that defecit.

Mayor LaGuardia will confer today with leaders of striking unions in an effort to end the impassed that has halted demolition work at the World's Fair. A total of 1200 union men are on strike, most of them walking off the job yesterday in support of action taken by the Teamsters and Plumbers Unions in protest of the use of non-union Parks Department workers to empty Fair buildings.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Nov_7__1940_(1).jpg
(Joe and Sally are very glad that they don't own a car.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Nov_7__1940_(2).jpg
("Say, whattaya call 'is stuff?" grumbles Joe. "It's got seeds awlov'rit! An' howcum th' slices' so t'in?" "Eat it," snaps Sally. "It's goodfawya." "I c'n see th' meat right t'ru it! An' didjahafta slice th' meat so t'in? I c'n see th'musta'd right t'ru it! Hey, izzat ev'n real musta'd?" "Eat it," reiterates Sally. "It's goodfawya. Errol Flynn eats it. I seeninna magazine." Joe nibbles hesitantly at the seed-covered crust and...)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Nov_7__1940_(3).jpg

(".....ahhhh, shaddup." "What?" snaps Sally. "Nut'n," replies Joe. "I was jus' tawkin' t'th' duck.")

The Eagle Editorialst urges Wendell Willkie to take on the role of leader of the Republican Party in the years ahead, as a man of stature who would command national respect and national attention as he discusses Administration proposals in "a friendly and constructive spirit." "Any man for whom voters cast 22,000,000 votes for President certainly has a following that deserves consideration."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Nov_7__1940_(4).jpg

(On many two-lane rural roads in 1940 America, operating in excess of 45mph was prima facie evidence of reckless driving. Seeya in court!)

Leaders of the Technocracy movement declare that the future of North America will see the entire continent become a single nation with no internal boundaries. "We can defend the continent," declared Norwin K. Johnson on behalf of Technocracy, Inc., "but we cannot defendthe nation. Our 2000 miles of open frontier along the Canadian and Mexican borders cannot be defended. Under Technocracy's proposals, all frontiers will be eliminated."

Finland is now overrun with German soldiers, according to local volunteers who left Brooklyn to serve with the Finnish Red Cross earlier this year. The nurses and pilots who returned home this week aboard the Finnish freighter Mathilda Thoren say that nearly all the German troops bound for Norway are given passage thru Finland on the way to their destination.

Kirby Higbe isn't a Dodger yet, according to Phillies president Gerry Nugent, but it's definite that the hard-throwing righthander will not be a member of the perpetually undercapitalized Philadelphia National League club in 1941. Mr. Nugent declared today that "it is absolutely necessary to part with Higbe to pay for the players we bought this year," adding that the pitcher will be "sold to the highest bidder." Nugent acknowledged that the Dodgers have offered $125,000 in cash for Higbe, but he insists that the pitcher's reserve price is $150,000, and further notes that the Giants and the Reds are also interested in acquiring him. Nugent also noted that his club is prepared to "absorb the losses" incurred due to poor attendance in 1940.

The National Hockey League season is in the early throes of its 1940-41 season, with the teams gradually opening their campaigns this week. The Americans and the Chicago Black Hawks clash tonight in Chicago.

Football Dodgers owner Dan Topping has been declared the Best Shirted Man in Sports, according to an award given by custom-shirt manufacturer Frank Romm. Runners up were Dodger outfielder Dixie Walker and tennis star Donald Budge.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Nov_7__1940_(5).jpg
(Gloria Jean was supposed to be the next Deanna Durbin. She wasn't, but she did get to make pictures with W. C. Fields and Groucho Marx, which is more than any of us here ever did.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Nov_7__1940_(6).jpg

(In 1969, science fiction writer Larry Niven will write "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex," an essay speculating on the disturbing physical consequences of Superman having sexual relations with Lois Lane. But will he be aware that Boody Rogers was thinking along those same lines nearly thirty years before?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Nov_7__1940_(7).jpg
(And if you had a nickel for every hour you wasted on meddling in things that don't concern you, you maybe could afford to move to a better building.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Nov_7__1940_(8).jpg
(Yeah, but who paid the check for lunch?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Nov_7__1940_(9).jpg
("PULL A LITTLE HARDER IRWIN!" "WHAT'S THAT DAN?" "I SAID PULL A LITTLE HARDER! LET MORE AIR OUT!" "OK DAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn....")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Thu__Nov_7__1940_.jpg
Oh, wow. There's got to be more to this than meets the eye, but regardless of that, it's heartbreaking.

Daily_News_Thu__Nov_7__1940_(1).jpg

Sigh. Whimsical humor didn't work, celebrity endorsements didn't work, cold hard facts didn't work, the radio show's a bomb, the supper-club idea's a wash, and the World's Fair is over -- so what's left? The sex angle.

Daily_News_Thu__Nov_7__1940_(2).jpg

(And in his Manhattan office, Mr. Dewey tears out this column and files it for future reference.)

Daily_News_Thu__Nov_7__1940_(3).jpg
Why is Annie so passive in this story? Nick-Era Annie would be actively working behind the scenes to figure out just who Peg really is instead of just commenting from the sidelines. Get busy kid, your rep depends on it.

Daily_News_Thu__Nov_7__1940_(4).jpg
Yeah, and if that doesn't keep you on the straight and narrow, imagine a picture of Tula counting your money.

Daily_News_Thu__Nov_7__1940_(5).jpg
Good ol' Pop knows when to slip "something extra" in those sodas.

Daily_News_Thu__Nov_7__1940_(6).jpg
Oh boy, they're gonna do that Wheeler & Woolsey bit from "Rio Rita!"

Daily_News_Thu__Nov_7__1940_(7).jpg
CALLED IT

Daily_News_Thu__Nov_7__1940_(8).jpg
Be with us tomorrow as Mamie tries Hollywood Bread!

Daily_News_Thu__Nov_7__1940_(9).jpg
Yep, nothing says "romantic getaway vacation" like bringing along that idiot Pat Patton. Dunn give you that idea did he?

...Mayor LaGuardia will confer today with leaders of striking unions in an effort to end the impassed that has halted demolition work at the World's Fair. A total of 1200 union men are on strike, most of them walking off the job yesterday in support of action taken by the Teamsters and Plumbers Unions in protest of the use of non-union Parks Department workers to empty Fair buildings....

He tried to stay out of it.

... View attachment 278374 ("Say, whattaya call 'is stuff?" grumbles Joe. "It's got seeds awlov'rit! An' howcum th' slices' so t'in?" "Eat it," snaps Sally. "It's goodfawya." "I c'n see th' meat right t'ru it! An' didjahafta slice th' meat so t'in? I c'n see th'musta'd right t'ru it! Hey, izzat ev'n real musta'd?" "Eat it," reiterates Sally. "It's goodfawya. Errol Flynn eats it. I seeninna magazine." Joe nibbles hesitantly at the seed-covered crust and...)...

I don't know if it's a good thing, but I now read Joe and Sally's conversations almost without pause; whereas, when they first started appearing, it would take me awhile to get through each one of their sentences.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Nov_7__1940_(3).jpg ]
(".....ahhhh, shaddup." "What?" snaps Sally. "Nut'n," replies Joe. "I was jus' tawkin' t'th' duck.")...

Another staple of my childhood - the three pack of Yankee Doodles. I also consumed a ridiculous number of its vanilla-flavored sister, the Sunny Doodle.

...Football Dodgers owner Dan Topping has been declared the Best Shirted Man in Sports, according to an award given by custom-shirt manufacturer Frank Romm. Runners up were Dodger outfielder Dixie Walker and tennis star Donald Budge....

Budge partnered with our Day-by-Day favorite, tennis great, Alice Marble to win two Wimbledon mixed-doubles titles ('37 and '38).

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Nov_7__1940_(5).jpg (Gloria Jean was supposed to be the next Deanna Durbin. She wasn't, but she did get to make pictures with W. C. Fields and Groucho Marx, which is more than any of us here ever did.)...

I haven't seen "City for Conquest," (I'll take that up with TCM later today), but recommend Sally and Joe go as I'll take a chance on any Cagney-Sheridan pairing (why'd they leave Pat O'Brien out of this one?).

...[ Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Nov_7__1940_(6).jpg
(In 1969, science fiction writer Larry Niven will write "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex," an essay speculating on the disturbing physical consequences of Superman having sexual relations with Lois Lane. But will he be aware that Boody Rogers was thinking along those same lines nearly thirty years before?)...

The physics of superheroes is a fun parlor game (I've spent way too many wasted hours of my life discussing how Superman can actually fly), but I think we can just suspend a little reality re their sex lives.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Nov_7__1940_(7).jpg (And if you had a nickel for every hour you wasted on meddling in things that don't concern you, you maybe could afford to move to a better building.)...

After three-plus decades of apartment living in mainly NYC rentals, I've gotten to know less than 1% of my neighbors any better than a hallway nod and short pleasant greeting. Maybe it's a NYC apartment thing, but the convention here is to not get involved with your neighbors.

...[ Daily_News_Thu__Nov_7__1940_.jpg Oh, wow. There's got to be more to this than meets the eye, but regardless of that, it's heartbreaking....

Yes indeed, it was jarring and heartbreaking. A powerful page overall today (see pianist, Moscow and the firefighters).

Re "The Neighbors:" Quite the roundhouse she landed on her husband and serious girl-power 1940s style. It never was a simple narrative.

Re The Sultan: Come on Page Four, after that setup, we need a pic of the blonde.

... Daily_News_Thu__Nov_7__1940_(1).jpg
Sigh. Whimsical humor didn't work, celebrity endorsements didn't work, cold hard facts didn't work, the radio show's a bomb, the supper-club idea's a wash, and the World's Fair is over -- so what's left? The sex angle....

It is really amazing how consistently awful Child's marketing is. This ad today feels a bit creepy to me, especially those huge lips logos.

... Daily_News_Thu__Nov_7__1940_(3).jpg Why is Annie so passive in this story? Nick-Era Annie would be actively working behind the scenes to figure out just who Peg really is instead of just commenting from the sidelines. Get busy kid, your rep depends on it....

As we've talked about before, the change in this strip has been dramatic. It went from smartly limning the grey world of politics and rackets where people were complex, nuanced, sometimes inconsistent and, usually, not all good or bad, to this roman à clef Bible storyline, which is fine for what it is, but is meaningfully less adult and interesting than what Gray had been writing.

I know we've discussed him maybe being censored, and that could be it, but it also seems he might have had some kind of born-again moment. In either case, he might have decided to, sadly, make Annie a more passive character.

... Daily_News_Thu__Nov_7__1940_(4).jpg Yeah, and if that doesn't keep you on the straight and narrow, imagine a picture of Tula counting your money....

No kidding re Tula, all that leopard fur tells me she's not gonna be happy with a movie and stroll as a date. "Aren't we going to dinner?" "Didn't you get me a little gift?" "Don't you have a car."

The fur muff is something that's all but disappeared today, but it was everywhere in the '30s and '40s.

... Daily_News_Thu__Nov_7__1940_(5).jpg Good ol' Pop knows when to slip "something extra" in those sodas....

I know we've talked about it before, but forget where we landed as these soda binges seem like nothing more than cloaked drinking binges. The guy just learned his girl has left town and is looking elsewhere for a man to marry, so he goes on a binge - you can't get more cliched than that. Even the way he orders the sodas in panel one and then looks completely schnookered in panel two is right out of Drinking-Away-Your-Sorrows 101.

... Daily_News_Thu__Nov_7__1940_(7).jpg CALLED IT...

Kudos Lizzie, you did indeed.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
President Roosevelt announced today that half of America's airplane production will be made available to Great Britain and Canada, and the Federal Priorities Board immediately granted the British Government to negotiate for the purchase of 12,000 new aircraft. Mr. Roosevelt had earlier disclosed the plan in a campaign speech delivered last week in Boston, at which time he declared his hope that the Priorities Board would act quickly on the matter.

German reports claim that a fifteen-ship British convoy consisting of 86,000 tons of shipping has been destroyed in the North Atlantic about midway between Ireland and Newfoundland. The vessels were said to have been escorted by British warships, but the shipping vessels themselves were all reported to be commercial.

Mayor LaGuardia today ordered the suspension of 26 elevator inspectors from the Department of Housing and Buildings for accepting bribes and gratuities over a period of thirty years. The Mayor stated that he has been trying to run down the elevator racket in the city for twenty years, dating back to his time as President of the now-defunct Board of Aldermen, but was thwarted by the various private companies involved who declared the payments to be "legitimate graft." He stated today that he has finally received full confessions from 22 such companies that they have been making such payoffs to the inspectors. Four of the suspended inspectors are from Brooklyn and eleven are from Queens. All will be given departmental trials, but no criminal charges are contemplated.

Former British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain is reported by his wife to be "gravely ill," and his condition has declined rapidly in recent days. The former Prime Minister resigned from his successor's cabinet on October 3rd, after undergoing an operation in July for an intestinal blockage. Mr. Chamberlain stepped down as Prime Minister on May 10th, making way for Winston Churchill's rise to the position just as Germany was beginning its thrust across the lowlands into France.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Nov_8__1940_.jpg
(I bet they're just flooded with entries. This is even worse than Childs.)

Rich Long Islanders are being warned by the state Attorney General's office to be aware that they have been placed on a "sucker list" being circulated by promoters of phony New Mexico oil leases. Two alleged stock swindlers from San Francisco have been soliciting prospects with mailed sales literature in Locust Valley, Westbury, Oyster Bay, Cold Spring Harbor, Great Neck, and other Suffolk and Nassau County towns. Edward Melvin Hatfield, alias Larry Streets, and Benjamin Darling, accused confidence men, have been arrested on a Federal charge of using the mails to defraud, and authorities believe their prospect list has been circulated to other promoters.

A strenuous sniffing safari thru a number of Queens dumps today left city officials in a nose-to-nose dispute over the relative merits of incineration and burial as the most sanitary method of waste disposal. Supporters of a pro-incinerator group led by City Councilman James A. Burke charged that rival supporters of the landfill method "sweetened" their demonstration by dumping sixty barrels of perfumed hair tonic in their pit in an effort to mask offensive odors. Queens Borough President George U. Harvey declared that the real odor was the "smell of politics," and charged that Councilman Burke was trying to stir up controversy in order to push himself forward as a Democratic candidate for Queens Borough President in 1941. Mr. Burke was seen to "look down his nose" at this remark.

(Why wasn't this story ever made into a Cagney-O'Brien movie?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Nov_8__1940_(1).jpg
(I don't recognize this one, but a radio-phono combination that lists for $89.95 isn't exactly the top of the line. I imagine the real reason they don't list the name is that Consumer's Union panned it.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Nov_8__1940_(2).jpg
(Radio is such a shady business. The transmitter is exactly the same one they've been using since 1931 -- the only difference is that they moved it ten miles closer to the City than it used to be, and during the move they cut over to a smaller backup transmitter. So of course it's going to sound better when they switch back and forth during the demonstration broadcast. NBC will stay in Port Washington until 1963 -- until they sell the site to Perry Como as part of a renegotiation of his contract. [He wanted the site to build a new house.] The transmitter will then move to High Island, where, as WFAN, it remains to this day. )

Mayor LaGuardia has settled the union dispute that halted demolition at the World's Fair. Leaders of the Teamsters and Plumbers Unions conferred with the Mayor at City Hall yesterday, after which it was announced that all trucking will be handled, as per existing contracts, by union men. It was also agreed that Parks Department workers will be permitted to remove and relocate trees and shrubs due to their specialized abilities in that area. Only union men will be used for the dismantling of fountains and the capping of water pipes. Workers were back on the site at 8 this morning, but full-scale demolition will not commence for another ten days, allowing sufficient time for the Fair Corporation to remove the contents of its own buildings before the wrecking crews go to work.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Nov_8__1940_(3).jpg

(Back when boys were boys.)

Rotund young comic Jackie Gleason will continue his run at the Queens Terrace in Woodside, and will be featured in an all-new floor show coming to the club in a few weeks. And at Eddie Butler's Midwood Restaurant in Flatbush, chanteuse Helen Davis will warble nightly.

Vaudeville is alive and well once more in Brooklyn, with a second theatre joining the Flatbush in presenting regular variety bills. The Majestic Theatre on Fulton Street has commenced its new vaude policy this week with Brooklyn's own favorite master-of-ceremonies Henny Youngman presiding. Singing ex-cop Phil Regan is also featured on the bill along with knockabout comedy team The Three Sailors, dancers Joan and Bobby Rexler, singer Joan Merrill -- "who sings like Greta Garbo if Greta Garbo could sing" -- and Zinn Arthur and his St. George Hotel Orchestra.

("The Three Sailors" were a Stooge-like act doing the same type of material, but with more of an emphasis on pantomime and with a vaguely nautical theme. They did quite a bit of touring during the thirties and forties and appeared in a Broadway revue, but never made any films because their line of comedy was pretty much pre-empted by those other three guys. Show business is a tough racket.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Nov_8__1940_(4).jpg

(Joe was smart -- he got Sally's ring at the pawn shop.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Nov_8__1940_(5).jpg

Joe Louis's upcoming fight against Al McCoy, scheduled for December 16th at Boston Garden, appears to be another "bum of the month" bout for the Brown Bomber, with New York fight fans chuckling at the gall shown by promoter Mike Jacobs in trying to put over such a charade, and declaring that they're "glad they don't have to watch it." Boston is, for its part, well acquainted with Mr. McCoy's "dubious talents," and fully expects another dire "boob bumping" session when the so-called fight takes place. The only thing to recommend McCoy is that he lasted ten rounds against Billy Conn, which seems to be what passes as a qualification these days for a shot at The Champ.

Larry MacPhail's contract as Dodgers president has again been extended by the board of directors of the Brooklyn National League Baseball Club, Incorporated. Word has it that this latest extension, one in a series of several given to the Red Headed One since he took over the administration of the team in 1938, was awarded to head off rumors that he was seeking to buy an interest in the Boston Bees. No word on salary terms has been given, but Laughing Larry is back in Brooklyn in a good humor after his recent fishing trip off the coast of Georgia.

There has been no word from a contingent of Dodgers since they disappeared into the Utah woods a week ago. Leo Durocher, Fred Fitzsimmons, Curt Davis, Herman Franks, and Cookie Lavagetto were last reported on a hunting expedition near the town of Spanish Fork. Once he has subdued the big game of the Utah forest, Lippy Leo is due in Hollywood, where he will pitch camp at the home of his good friend, actor George Raft.

Reports from Cleveland state that Roger Peckinpaugh will manage the Indians in 1941. The former star Cleveland shortstop led the Tribe from 1928 to 1933, for a record of 416-402. There is no confirmation from Cleveland owner Alva Bradley, but Peckinpaugh emerged as the leading candidate for the job after Bucky Harris decided to stay in Washington. Meanwhile, scapled Indians manager Oscar Vitt is likely to resurface in Jersey City, where reports have him taking over the Giants' International League farm club there.

If you haven't yet seen "City For Conquest," or even if you have, Jack Benny and his gang will offer their own cockeyed version of the James Cagney-Ann Sheridan hit on their broadcast Sunday night at 7 over WEAF.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Nov_8__1940_(6).jpg
(What if Kindly Old Doc Static isn't really so kindly after all -- what if his cosmic-ray experiments are in reality an attempt to form a sinister sex cult using his daughter as a lure, and what if Sparky is just the latest in a long line of victims? "GET OUT" says Slappy. "GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN?")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Nov_8__1940_(7).jpg
(There are times when I really feel sorry for poor Peggy Bungle coming from a family like this. Maybe she and Sparky should get together.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Nov_8__1940_(8).jpg
("Green Carpet Session" -- nineteenth century slang for a thorough hazing administered by an authority figure, stemming possibly from the use of green carpeting in courtrooms.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Nov_8__1940_(9).jpg
("Keep your knees loose!")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News....

Daily_News_Fri__Nov_8__1940_.jpg
Welshing on election bets? I'm shocked, shocked. And today's "Neighbors" strikes home for me, as many's the time I've had to say "we don't make 'em, we just show 'em."

Daily_News_Fri__Nov_8__1940_(1).jpg

Awww, a Hollywood biography with only thirty pages? How refreshingly wholesome.

Daily_News_Fri__Nov_8__1940_(2).jpg

Now that the election is finally over, the News can get back to the more important issues of the day.

Daily_News_Fri__Nov_8__1940_(3).jpg

Even the Tecums, rest in peace, were never this thick.

Daily_News_Fri__Nov_8__1940_(4).jpg
OK, well, it'd be easier just to nick the cash, but it probably wouldn't be half as much fun.

Daily_News_Fri__Nov_8__1940_(5).jpg
Hah. Junior won't be the least bit impressed. Deafy doesn't even have an underground lair.

Daily_News_Fri__Nov_8__1940_(6).jpg
Tilda's been waiting twenty years for this chance, and she's not going to blow it.

Daily_News_Fri__Nov_8__1940_(7).jpg
I knew three radio time salesmen who furnished their entire houses this way.

Daily_News_Fri__Nov_8__1940_(8).jpg
It's so cute when Willie and Mamie exchange sweet nothings.

Daily_News_Fri__Nov_8__1940_(9).jpg
LOL at Lilacs reading the paper in Panel Two.

...Mayor LaGuardia today ordered the suspension of 26 elevator inspectors from the Department of Housing and Buildings for accepting bribes and gratuities over a period of thirty years. The Mayor stated that he has been trying to run down the elevator racket in the city for twenty years, dating back to his time as President of the now-defunct Board of Aldermen, but was thwarted by the various private companies involved who declared the payments to be "legitimate graft." He stated today that he has finally received full confessions from 22 such companies that they have been making such payoffs to the inspectors. Four of the suspended inspectors are from Brooklyn and eleven are from Queens. All will be given departmental trials, but no criminal charges are contemplated....

"All will be given departmental trials, but no criminal charges are contemplated." Uh-huh. You can see the behind-closed-doors deal making that went on in this one.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Nov_8__1940_.jpg (I bet they're just flooded with entries. This is even worse than Childs.)..

I have no idea how many times I have read that stupid contest explanation and I still don't get it. We need to go to a Loft store and get our "contest blank and full particulars." Maybe that would explain it. I bet, even today, somewhere in America, in the back of some drawer or up in an attic box, is a copy of those particulars.

Bad-slogan contest notwithstanding, while there, I'm good for a box of peppermint patties.

...A strenuous sniffing safari thru a number of Queens dumps today left city officials in a nose-to-nose dispute over the relative merits of incineration and burial as the most sanitary method of waste disposal. Supporters of a pro-incinerator group led by City Councilman James A. Burke charged that rival supporters of the landfill method "sweetened" their demonstration by dumping sixty barrels of perfumed hair tonic in their pit in an effort to mask offensive odors. Queens Borough President George U. Harvey declared that the real odor was the "smell of politics," and charged that Councilman Burke was trying to stir up controversy in order to push himself forward as a Democratic candidate for Queens Borough President in 1941. Mr. Burke was seen to "look down his nose" at this remark.

(Why wasn't this story ever made into a Cagney-O'Brien movie?)...

Excuse me Lizzie, I believe you forgot to mention a role for me as the wisecracking city inspector who has been trying to expose the fraud behind O'Brien and Cagney's garbage scheme, but while doing so, I end up falling for Cagney even though I know he's a BSer. Sincerely, Ann Sheridan

... View attachment 278700 (Radio is such a shady business. The transmitter is exactly the same one they've been using since 1931 -- the only difference is that they moved it ten miles closer to the City than it used to be, and during the move they cut over to a smaller backup transmitter. So of course it's going to sound better when they switch back and forth during the demonstration broadcast. NBC will stay in Port Washington until 1963 -- until they sell the site to Perry Como as part of a renegotiation of his contract. [He wanted the site to build a new house.] The transmitter will then move to High Island, where, as WFAN, it remains to this day. )...

The salt-water angle took some additional nerve. Sure, technically, there's some not-really-releated truth, but come on.

... Meanwhile, scapled Indians manager Oscar Vitt is likely to resurface in Jersey City, where reports have him taking over the Giants' International League farm club there....

That seems like a pretty big step down for him.

... Daily_News_Fri__Nov_8__1940_-2.jpg Welshing on election bets? I'm shocked, shocked. And today's "Neighbors" strikes home for me, as many's the time I've had to say "we don't make 'em, we just show 'em."...

Back when I started on Wall St. in the mid '80s, there was a small NCAA basketball March Madness betting pool scandal as employees from an institutional brokerage firm (a firm that doesn't deal with the public, only other Wall St. firms) had been running a book on the tournament that blew up when a long shot won.

Because the public wasn't involved and the firms hadn't sanctioned it (they probably knew about it, but looked the other way), it made news for a few days, was never prosecuted and went away. It was pretty small in scale - a few hundred thousand dollars - versus this 1940 one that involved the public and, also, in 2020 dollars, sums in the millions (making some assumptions). As we say all the time, very little is truly new.

... Daily_News_Fri__Nov_8__1940_(4).jpg OK, well, it'd be easier just to nick the cash, but it probably wouldn't be half as much fun.....

"Umm, Milt, we love your strip today, but where's the background?"

"Hey, do you create a daily cartoon; do you know the time involved, the pressure to get it all done? Do you!?"

"No problem Milt, we'll just run it the way you sent it." [in sotto voce] "Jeez, temperamental artists."

... Daily_News_Fri__Nov_8__1940_(5).jpg Hah. Junior won't be the least bit impressed. Deafy doesn't even have an underground lair.....

A lot of time, money and effort has been expended on this scheme that, so far, I can't see the payoff being worth it. But we'll see.

... View attachment 278716 I knew three radio time salesmen who furnished their entire houses this way....

I get the concept and have seen this kind of cheat in action, but this particular version isn't really making sense to me. The store owner gets to sell one overcoat at wholesale in return for buying some of Wilmer's goods at wholesale.

The store owner makes, in theory, nothing on the sale of the coat (we'll say he made a little by fudging what wholesale really is), but Wilmer/Wumple & Co sell at wholesale where they do make a profit.

I get why Wilmer did it, he picks up a coat at wholesale plus a commission on the sale, but what did the storeowner get other than the Wumple goods at wholesale (and, maybe, a small profit on the coat sale), which is nothing special to him?

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
British bombs today hit the famous Munich beer cellar where Adolf Hitler had just finished speaking to the Nazi "old guard", starting a large fire in the building. British reports stated that RAF bombers had been attacking "military objectives" in the city considered the "birthplace of Nazism" and that likely one stick of bombs missed its target and hit the beer hall instead. Berlin sources confirmed that the British raiders struck Munich, but indicated that the attack came "some time after" the Fuehrer completed his address marking the 17th anniversary of the famous "Beer Hall Putsch." Some of the bombers also tossed out bricks with notes tied to them addressed "To Adolf."

Police today are combing the East New York neighborhood for clues linked to the fatal stabbing of a young woman in front of an apartment house at 964 Belmont Avenue. The woman's body was discovered lying on the sidewalk at 8:30 this morning, dead from at least two stab wounds. She bore no marks of identification, and was unknown to residents of the neighborhood. Police discovered a brand-new butcher knife coated with blood along the length of its seven inch blade on the roof of the apartment house, and a pool of blood was discovered on the edge of the roof directly above the spot where the body was discovered. Tenants of the building reported hearing the sound of running feet coming from the roof shortly before 8:30 AM. The victim was described as approximately 25 years old, about five feet tall and 120 pounds, "pretty and well dressed." A black coat with a Persian lamb collar and a black hat were also found on the roof. The body, discovered by a passerby, was taken to the Miller Avenue police station for medical examination.

A thirty-eight year old janitor faces a murder charge for the slaying of a ten year old Bronx girl. Thomas Conroy of 583 E. 138th Street admitted today that he strangled young Genevieve Connolly to death, and incinerated her body in the furnace of the apartment building where he works. Police stated that detectives found bone fragments after sifting ashes taken from that furnace. The girl was reported missing on Wednesday night, when she failed to return to her home at 286 Brook Avenue. Conroy told police he had killed the girl because he was afraid that she would tell her parents that he had "hugged and kissed her against her will." Her parents reacted with shock upon learning that Conroy was under arrrest for killing Genevieve, as they had considered him "a family friend." As Conroy was under interrogation, a grim crowd milled around the police station where the suspect was being held, and a brick was thrown thru the station window. One man was charged with malicious mischief for throwing that brick, but there were no further incidents of violence.

Assistant Attorney General John H. Amen today declared that his ongoing investigation of official corruption in Brooklyn has already paid for itself in restitution paid to city, state, and federal authorities. Since beginning his probe in 1938, Amen is responsible for more than $250,000 in restitution, and has obtained convictions in 95 percent of his cases.

A Coney Island man gladly paid a $10 fine in Magistrates Court today on a charge of disorderly conduct. 36-year-old Carl Pine of 570 3rd Street pleaded guilty to punching David Barth of 1741 45th Street in the face last Sunday, after forcing his car off the road at the intersection of Bay Parkway and Flatbush Avenue. Pine told Magistrate Jeanette G. Brill that he pulled Mr. Barth over because he was "curious to see what a road hog looks like."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Nov_9__1940_.jpg

It is expected that approximately one third of the first wave of draftees to be called up this month under the conscription law will be declared 1-A -- liable for immediate military service.
That prediction from Selective Service officials is based on the ratio experienced during the World War, but comes with a warning that due to the adverse economic conditions of recent years, more men are likely to be exempted for dependents than were so exempted during 1917-18.

British Prime Minister Winston Churchill reacted with good cheer to the news of President Roosevelt's reelection for a third term. The British leader called the news "a message from across the ocean of great encouragement."

Helen C. writes to Helen Worth to say she read an article that claimed women have no sense of humor. Does she agree? Helen says she didn't see the article, "but like the famous story of the minister who preached a sermon on sin, I do not think much of it."

The Eagle Editorialist chastises Secretary of the Interior Harold Ickes for gloating over the reelection of the President, after the Secretary chided the press for backing the loser in the recent election. While it's true that the Eagle -- along with all but 23 percent of other daily papers in the country -- backed Mr. Willkie, the EE insists that it at all times endeavored to cover the election news in a clean and fair-minded way, adding that "with a few regrettable exceptions," most other papers did likewise.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Nov_9__1940_(1).jpg

(Tsk. *Never* buy an umbrella from a guy on the street.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Nov_9__1940_(2).jpg

(With a body like that, Sammy couldn't get a job selling hot dogs in the NFL in 2020.)

The Football Dodgers will likely try the ground game on Sunday when they face Washington at Ebbets Field, given the aerial superiority of Redskins' quaterback Sammy Baugh, but it's going to be an uphill fight nonetheless. Running back Banks McFadden twisted his hip in last week's game against the Giants, and may not be at 100 percent, and tackle Bruiser Kinard is still recovering from a massively infected hand wound. Bruiser reiterated today that he is determined to play in tomorrow's game, despite an enormous bandage on his hand, as well as a large hole in his thigh from which skin was taken to graft the hand wound. He is prepared to take the field with a protective leather cover fitted in place over his bandages.

("Hey," says Joe. "Whassat mean? A boxin' glove? A tackle wit' a boxin' glove on, now'attlbe sum'pin!" "Maybe," adds Sally, "hec'n fight Joe Louis nex'.")

Roger Peckinpaugh isn't quite yet official as the Cleveland Indians next manager, with team president Alva Bradley refusing to give a firm statement on the matter. Peckinpaugh says he was approached for the job, not by Bradley himself, but by an intermediary, and there are suggestions from Cleveland that a mysterious unidentified candidate is also under consideration. That candidate is said not to be Cleveland coach Luke Sewell, who had earlier been named as a candidate for the job.

Meanwhile, did you know that Oscar Vitt, who was essentially driven out of Cleveland by a player rebellion, was once himself a rebellious player? While with the Tigers in 1912, Vitt was among the Detroit players who went on strike before a game with the Athletics in protest of the suspension of Ty Cobb, who had been disciplined by league president Ban Johnson for going into the stands after a heckling fan. Rather than forfeit the game to the A's, Detroit recruited a team of Philadelphia sandlotters to don Tiger uniforms and take the field at Shibe Park, where they were beaten 24-2.

The American League rule prohibiting each year's pennant-winning club from any off-season trades was intended to put the Yankees in their place -- but this year it'll bite back hard on the Tigers. Detroit wholeheartedly supported that rule when it was put into place a few years back, but the Tigers now find themselves with an aging club badly in need of an infusion of fresh, young talent -- and barred from making winter deals to get some. Only two Detroit regulars are under the age of 30, and 38-year-old second baseman Charlie Gehringer dragged badly during the late weeks of the 1940 season, and the question is still open as to how much longer he can go on. The Detroit pitching staff is equally aged, with 34-year-old Tommy Bridges likely to be fit only for spot-starting duty next year, and 30-year-old Schoolboy Rowe also beginning to creak. Detroit's ace, Buck Newsom, has been a major leaguer since 1929, and will also see his 34th birthday next year.

At the Patio this week, it's Melvyn Douglas and Loretta Young in "He Stayed For Breakfast," paired with Lew Ayres and Lionel Barrymore in "Dr. Kildare Goes Home."

Radio's greatest playwright Arch Oboler has collected fourteen of his most notable works between hard covers, and the resulting volume, entitled "Fourteen Radio Plays," is well worth a space on any radio fan's bookshelf. Also included in the volume is an essay by Oboler on "The Art of Radio Writing" that's well worth the price of the book all by itself.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Nov_9__1940_(3).jpg
(Without anyone realizing it was happening, good ol' Slappy has gradually emerged as the Voice Of The Reader.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Nov_9__1940_(4).jpg
(Look, why not just go right over and let him beat you up now? That'll save us three weeks of exposition.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Nov_9__1940_(5).jpg
(Yeah, sure. How about this? Slim and Leach were in on it together, Leach skipped town with the bonds to leave Slim holding the bag, and Slim is now trapped in his own hole, figuring Bill will be sap enough to pull him out. I told ya he should have brought Dennie along to take care of the brain work.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Nov_9__1940_(6).jpg
(Dan looks Irwin up and down and says "Whattaya mean 'we?'")

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ