Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sat__Nov_9__1940_.jpg
Justice Peter Schmuck must go thru life with a terrible chip on his shoulder.

Daily_News_Sat__Nov_9__1940_(2).jpg

Yep, nice to have everything back to normal.

Daily_News_Sat__Nov_9__1940_(5).jpg
I had no idea that the Brooklyn Junior Hadassah was run by hepcats, but now that I do know, it makes me unreasonably happy.

Daily_News_Sat__Nov_9__1940_(1).jpg
That's all? C'mon, kids, you gotta do better than that.

Daily_News_Sat__Nov_9__1940_(3).jpg
Yeah, he's a swell guy all right -- but wait'll you meet his dad.

Daily_News_Sat__Nov_9__1940_(4).jpg
Real world cops: "Hah, sure, we'll keep an eye out. Yeah, we'll really get to work on this one."

Daily_News_Sat__Nov_9__1940_(6).jpg
Make sure you saved the sales slip, you're gonna need it.

Daily_News_Sat__Nov_9__1940_(7).jpg
Ahhhh, Raven, Raven, Raven. You really do not get it.

Daily_News_Sat__Nov_9__1940_(8).jpg
Mr. Willard's visual depiction of Mush is woeful, but he has a very precise ear for dialect. "Woikin'" pinpoints Mush's hometown as somewhere around New Orleans, where the "curl-coil merger" was a notable feature of the local dialect. It comes from the same basic root as "curl-coil" in old Brooklynese. Probably the most famous speaker of this dialect was Louis Armstrong, and it's very pronounced in many of his vocal recordings.

Daily_News_Sat__Nov_9__1940_(9).jpg
Yeah, because a bunch of high-school graduates who spend all their time loafing around a soda shop don't need any bad influences.

...A thirty-eight year old janitor faces a murder charge for the slaying of a ten year old Bronx girl. Thomas Conroy of 583 E. 138th Street admitted today that he strangled young Genevieve Connolly to death, and incinerated her body in the furnace of the apartment building where he works. Police stated that detectives found bone fragments after sifting ashes taken from that furnace. The girl was reported missing on Wednesday night, when she failed to return to her home at 286 Brook Avenue. Conroy told police he had killed the girl because he was afraid that she would tell her parents that he had "hugged and kissed her against her will." Her parents reacted with shock upon learning that Conroy was under arrrest for killing Genevieve, as they had considered him "a family friend." As Conroy was under interrogation, a grim crowd milled around the police station where the suspect was being held, and a brick was thrown thru the station window. One man was charged with malicious mischief for throwing that brick, but there were no further incidents of violence....

Eighty years later and this is still viscerally heartbreaking.

.... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Nov_9__1940_(1).jpg
(Tsk. *Never* buy an umbrella from a guy on the street.)...

I've read articles that try to explain it and I've talk to the guys themselves, but it is still somewhat of a mystery how, when it rains in NYC (at least, pre-covid), an army of men (almost all are men) pop up on street corners and in and around subway stations with umbrellas for sale.

It is amazing as you wonder what were they all doing otherwise that the minute the rain started they could all just appear in place with the umbrellas? It would be quite a logistics problem if the government or a company tried to have those resources - men, umbrellas and usually some kind of stand or holder or table - ready to go all over the city.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Nov_9__1940_(2).jpg
(With a body like that, Sammy couldn't get a job selling hot dogs in the NFL in 2020.)...

It's interesting (and, kinda, a term that's disappearing) that they refer to him in the pic simply as a "back," meaning someone who lined up in the backfield, and not as a "quarterback."

And you are so right, the men who play the game today are giants. Even the quarterbacks, who can sometimes look "small" next to the other players, are really big compared to the general population. I've mentioned this before, but I've met Terry Bradshaw a few times and he is a very big guy with gigantic hands. And they've only gotten bigger since his day.

...("Hey," says Joe. "Whassat mean? A boxin' glove? A tackle wit' a boxin' glove on, now'attlbe sum'pin!" "Maybe," adds Sally, "hec'n fight Joe Louis nex'.")...

"hec'n" :)

...Meanwhile, did you know that Oscar Vitt, who was essentially driven out of Cleveland by a player rebellion, was once himself a rebellious player? While with the Tigers in 1912, Vitt was among the Detroit players who went on strike before a game with the Athletics in protest of the suspension of Ty Cobb, who had been disciplined by league president Ban Johnson for going into the stands after a heckling fan. Rather than forfeit the game to the A's, Detroit recruited a team of Philadelphia sandlotters to don Tiger uniforms and take the field at Shibe Park, where they were beaten 24-2....

What do they say about Karma?

...The American League rule prohibiting each year's pennant-winning club from any off-season trades was intended to put the Yankees in their place -- but this year it'll bite back hard on the Tigers. Detroit wholeheartedly supported that rule when it was put into place a few years back, but the Tigers now find themselves with an aging club badly in need of an infusion of fresh, young talent -- and barred from making winter deals to get some. Only two Detroit regulars are under the age of 30, and 38-year-old second baseman Charlie Gehringer dragged badly during the late weeks of the 1940 season, and the question is still open as to how much longer he can go on. The Detroit pitching staff is equally aged, with 34-year-old Tommy Bridges likely to be fit only for spot-starting duty next year, and 30-year-old Schoolboy Rowe also beginning to creak. Detroit's ace, Buck Newsom, has been a major leaguer since 1929, and will also see his 34th birthday next year....

What do they say about Karma?

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Nov_9__1940_(5).jpg (Yeah, sure. How about this? Slim and Leach were in on it together, Leach skipped town with the bonds to leave Slim holding the bag, and Slim is now trapped in his own hole, figuring Bill will be sap enough to pull him out. I told ya he should have brought Dennie along to take care of the brain work.)...

It's not looking good for my theory that Leach didn't have anything on Slim, but Slim could still be innocent if Leach stole the bonds knowing the records would show Slim was the last one to have possession.

When I started on Wall St. in the '80s, one of my first jobs was as a clerk in "the cage," which was where all the securities, checks and money were kept. No surprise, there was both a pretty extensive physical security to the set up as well as detailed record keeping, etc.

That said, there was a massive number of transactions every single day that entailed a lot of movement of stocks, bonds, checks, etc. that left opportunity for theft. To be sure, you'd almost certainly be caught, but still, there was so much activity you could see why it could happen.

And while I never saw that kind of theft happen, there were several attacks on messenger who carried the securities between firms even in the time I was working there. That was the weakest link in the chain. "Electronic" or "book-entry," as we called it then, pretty much eliminate that problem.

... Daily_News_Sat__Nov_9__1940_.jpg Justice Peter Schmuck must go thru life with a terrible chip on his shoulder....

Yes, awful name. Interesting divorce case; I hope they follow it through for us.

340 E 57th is still there (built in '31). My girlfriend and I always refer to it as the spiderweb building because of the pattern of the bars on the ground-floor windows. All these old buildings must have tragedies like this in their pasts.
294830112.jpg

A... Daily_News_Sat__Nov_9__1940_(1).jpg That's all? C'mon, kids, you gotta do better than that.....

Every so often, you can feel these writers cracking up a bit under the pressure to have 365 new ideas a year.

...[ Daily_News_Sat__Nov_9__1940_(7).jpg Ahhhh, Raven, Raven, Raven. You really do not get it.....

Raven is playing checkers to the DL's three-dimensional-chess game.

Say what you will about the junior editor, but the background in the illustrations is back today.

Also, check out this inside-inside T&TP-FL mashup: #462 See the second pic "How's Your Fashion Quotient," question 10, option C.

... Daily_News_Sat__Nov_9__1940_(9).jpg Yeah, because a bunch of high-school graduates who spend all their time loafing around a soda shop don't need any bad influences.

This is an odd twist. I know there was a lot more of a "what do we know about this person" mindset then. I saw it a bit in some of the older people when I was growing up who thought it was inappropriate to date someone if you didn't have a connect to them at least indirectly from the community - church, work, neighborhood, something. It meant all but nothing to my generation (a teenager in the late '70s/early '80s), but that mindset was still around.

And yes, I remember hearing "he/she is a bad influence ever since he/she came back from..." That wasn't my parents (who pretty much never got involved with, or even asked about, my friends or girlfriends), but that attitude was still out there, as noted, mainly in the older generation.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Terry cloth." I hope Caniff gets a good royalty check.

I've seen that guy in the sport coat, shorts, and bow tie on the streets up here when the Boat Show is in town.

That 1912 incident with the Tigers is one of the real Strange But True moments in the game. Cobb had been suspended for going into the stands in New York and beating the snot out of a man with only one hand -- "I don't care if he has no feet!" -- who had yelled a remark questioning Cobb's parentage. When the Tigers moved on to Philadelphia, Cobb tried to go on the field despite being "suspended indefinitely" and the umpires had to physically carry him off. The team struck -- but the Tigers' owner already knew this was going to happen and already had his squad of "replacement players" ready to suit up and go. The Philadelphia fans then threatened to riot unless they got their money back -- which they didn't.

One of the "replacement players" was a canvasback Philadelphia boxer named Billy Maharg -- who would a few years later emerge as one of the gamblers implicated in the Black Sox affair.

Here's the rundown on the game: May 18, 1912.

The "replacement pitcher," a theology student named Allen Travers, went the distance, passing into the Baseball Encyclopedia with a lifetime earned run average of 15.75 -- which really isn't so bad: only 14 of the 24 runs the A's scored were earned.

One can only imagine how ESPN would have covered all this.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Soviet Foriegn Minister V. I. Molotov will visit Berlin, according to reports confirmed last night by official German sources. The disclosure by the D. N. B. news agency described the impending visit as "an announcement of importance in foreign politics." Observers in Rome expressed the belief that the purpose of the visit will be an attempt to convince the Soviets to prevent Turkey from interfering in Axis plans in the Balkans.

Italy's crack "Centaur Division" of approximately 15,000 men, one of the best known and best equipped of Fascist fighting units, is bottled up today by the Greeks in the Pindus Mountains, and is reported to be on the verge of surrender. Greek sources say the Italians are without food, and their sources of supply have been severed. Military informants state that hundreds of Italian officers and men have already been taken prisoner by Greek troops.

Free French forces under the command of General Charles de Gaulle have landed in North Africa, there to carry on the fight against the Axis. The Vichy Government acknowledged that de Gaulle's troops are engaging Axis units at Gabon, in French Equatorial Africa. According to the Vichy report, these forces landed under the protection of British light ships, which had been cruising for several days along the Gabon coast, and it is stated that British planes bombed the port at Gabon before the landings.

President Roosevelt has proclaimed November 21st as Thanksgiving Day 1940, and has urged the American people to join him in giving thanks "for our preservation" in a time of calamity around the world. The proclamation marks the second year in which the President has declared an earlier date for the holiday than the traditional last Thursday in November. Thirty-two of the forty eight states will follow the Presidential proclamation, while the remaining sixteen will continue to observe the traditional date, which falls this year on November 21st.

Former City Chamberlain A. A. Berle Jr. has emerged as a possible successor to Mayor LaGuardia, if, as rumored, the city's chief executive is nominated for a seat in President Roosevelt's third-term Cabinet. Leaders of the city Republican Party suggest that an independent Berle-For-Mayor drive could put him on a fusion ticket in 1941, in an effort to ensure that Mayor LaGuardia's policies are continued. Mr. Berle resigned his position with the city in order to become an assistant to Secretery of State Cordell Hull. The rumors circulate as other rumors place the Mayor in the new Cabinet either as Secretary of Labor, replacing Mrs. Frances Perkins, or as Secretary of War, in place of Henry L. Stimson.

Mrs. Neville Chamberlain has been summoned to her husband's bedside, but the gravely ill former British Prime Minister's condition is reported "unchanged." King George and Queen Elizabeth visited the former head of government recently and stayed for nearly an hour. It is also reported that German bombs landing on the Chamberlain estate struck barely forty feet from the house.

The woman whose body was found lying on the sidewalk in front of a Belmont Avenue apaartment building yesterday has been identified as 31-year-old Julia Goodman of 1111 Sutter Avenue in East New York, and her death has been ruled a suicide. Police say they identified her from labels in a coat found on the roof of 964 Belmont Avenue, and state that she stabbed herself in the abdomen with the seven-inch-long butcher knife found near that coat before plunging to the street four stories below. Detectives discovered that Miss Goodman had been ill for seven months and had suffered a nervous breakdown.

Spirited fetes will mark the celebration of Armistice Day tomorrow, with Mayor LaGuardia, Borough President John Cashmore, and Attorney General Harold Bennett heading the roster of guests at the annual V. F. W. Pageant. The Kings County American Legion will hold its customary parade tomorrow morning from Grand Army Plaza to Borough Hall, stepping off at the corner of Eastern Parkway and Plaza Street at 9:20 AM and will proceed along Flatbush Avenue to Livingston Street, to Court Street, and finally to Borough Hall, where waiting speakers will address the crowd. The Legion's Annual Military Ball will follow tomorrow evening at the St. George Hotel.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Nov_10__1940_(2).jpg
(An entire pull-out section, no less, which must be very gratifying to Mr. Schroth. It will be interesting to see where this leads on the editorial page: General Robert Wood, the head of Sears in 1940, is also the primary financial underwriter of what will be soon be known as the "America First Movement.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Nov_10__1940_(4).jpg
(And remarkably, defying all odds -- it's still open, still a Sears to this day.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Nov_10__1940_(3).jpg
(Hey, even Davega is in on it! Wonder if Sears is where they pick up unsold stock?)

Long Island University will add a course in Radio Broadcasting during the spring semester in 1941, with Eagle radio editor Jo Ranson and A. L. Simon, publicity director for station WHN, serving as instructors, with guest lecturers to include A. A. Schechter, head of the National Broadcasting Company's news division, and Ezra Stone, actor who portrays Henry Aldrich in "The Aldrich Family." There will be fifteen sessions starting in February, covering all aspects of the radio industry. The class will be offered Tuesday evenings from 8 to 10 pm.

("Hey!" says Sally. "I ottasignupfat'at! I awayswanned ta go onnaradio." "Nah," says Joe. "Ya dowanna miss 'Fibba McGee.'")

Old Timer Gussie Benson Stowell remembers growing up in Greenpoint during the Civil War, when laborers building the ironclad U. S. S. Monitor used to eat their lunch at her grandfather's restaurant, "The Yankee Cheese Box."

Sixty-three thousand spectators in Baltimore yesterday saw Notre Dame down Navy 13 to 7, with a fourth-period touchdown with four and a half minutes left to play scoring the winning margin.

Up at the Polo Grounds, Fordham also relied on a fourth-quarter push to knock down Purdue 13-7, before 28,576 fans.

The Football Dodgers are eager to square accounts today with the Washington Redskins in National Football League action at Ebbets Field. Washington, with the most fearsome aerial game in the professional circuit, defeated the Football Flock to open the season, and has gone on to pile up a comfortable league in the Eastern Division.

The manager of the Kansas City Blues, Yankee farm club, appears to be the "mystery man" being considered as 1941 manager of the Cleveland Indians. The Yankees announced today that they have given Kansas City manager Bill Meyer permission to talk with Cleveland president Alva Bradley about the job.

Whitlow Wyatt, that Georgia gentleman, was by all accounts a fine pitcher for the Dodgers last summer -- but just how effective he was emerged today in statistics compiled by Brooklyn figure-filbert Pat McDonough. According to McDonough's compilations, Wyatt kept his opposition to less than four runs over fifteen of his complete games. Although Wyatt's 15-14 record is not as impressive as it could have been, such a high percentage of really good games pitched is a sign that more should be expected from the righthander in 1941.

An announcement may be expected soon on the status of the Dodgers' efforts to obtain fireballing Kirby Higbe from the Phillies. Larry MacPhail and Gerry Nugent have been involved in deep negotiations, with rumors suggesting a deal is imminent if the two clubs can agree on players to be sent from Brooklyn to Philadelphia along with a large sum of cash.

The queen of Famous For Being Famous fronts "Trend" this week...

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Nov_10__1940_(5).jpg

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Nov_10__1940_(6).jpg
(Seriously, though, Mr. Harvey is really too busy sniffing incinerators to consider moving to Canada.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Nov_10__1940_(7).jpg
(How do heroic cowboys keep their white hats so clean? I've always wondered.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Nov_10__1940_(8).jpg
("Hah!" says Joe. "Yawuddathot havin' th' Duke's nuts'd be enough fawwa!" Sally spits out a mouthful of Chase & Sanborn and nearly chokes on her toast before giving Joe "a Look.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Nov_10__1940_(9).jpg
(Dennie = Better Detective Than Dan.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Nov_10__1940_(10).jpg
(The whole reason the Internet will be invented.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sun__Nov_10__1940_.jpg
I cannot believe they're even considering releasing this pig Stephenson. What he did to Madge Obherholtzer was brutal beyond comprehension, and that it was even considered that he might see the light of day again is a blot on the entire State of Indiana.

Daily_News_Sun__Nov_10__1940_(2).jpg
All those college-movie stereotypes had a firm basis in reality.

Daily_News_Sun__Nov_10__1940_(3).jpg

Junior is maybe 12 years old, 13 at the earliest. Tracy is his legal guardian. So who's looking after him?

Daily_News_Sun__Nov_10__1940_(4).jpg
Sam's subscriptions to The Billboard and Zit's Theatrical Weekly pay off.

Daily_News_Sun__Nov_10__1940_(5).jpg

Plushie needs to go "Hydramatic."

Daily_News_Sun__Nov_10__1940_(6).jpg

I bet he's flexible.

Daily_News_Sun__Nov_10__1940_(7).jpg

Gonna be a big party -- bring everybody!

Daily_News_Sun__Nov_10__1940_(8).jpg
Yeah, but you can't run a business with only one customer.

Daily_News_Sun__Nov_10__1940_(9).jpg
Tracy needs to take parenting lessons from Walt.

Daily_News_Sun__Nov_10__1940_(10).jpg
I used to know someone who grew up in the midwest in the 30s, when WLW in Cincinnati was running 500,000 watts. He said you'd open up the furnace door to stoke it, and you could hear the station resonating on the metal.

Soviet Foriegn Minister V. I. Molotov will visit Berlin, according to reports confirmed last night by official German sources. The disclosure by the D. N. B. news agency described the impending visit as "an announcement of importance in foreign politics." Observers in Rome expressed the belief that the purpose of the visit will be an attempt to convince the Soviets to prevent Turkey from interfering in Axis plans in the Balkans....

Yes, there's kinda, sorta a movie about this, 1943's "Background to Danger" (should be at The Patio by late '43). Comments on the movie here: #27331
lf-2.jpeg

...("Hey!" says Sally. "I ottasignupfat'at! I awayswanned ta go onnaradio." "Nah," says Joe. "Ya dowanna miss 'Fibba McGee.'")...

:)

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Nov_10__1940_(8).jpg ("Hah!" says Joe. "Yawuddathot havin' th' Duke's nuts'd be enough fawwa!" Sally spits out a mouthful of Chase & Sanborn and nearly chokes on her toast before giving Joe "a Look.")...

Joe's best line ever, period, full stop.

... Daily_News_Sun__Nov_10__1940_.jpg I cannot believe they're even considering releasing this pig Stephenson. What he did to Madge Obherholtzer was brutal beyond comprehension, and that it was even considered that he might see the light of day again is a blot on the entire State of Indiana.....

No matter the facts, passions, intentions, dictates or even laws at the time of sentencing, if the murderer was not put to death, a future legislature / parole board / governor / etc., can always see things differently and change the laws and outcome. It's the risk that always exists with "life in prison," "he'll never get parole" approaches.

... Daily_News_Sun__Nov_10__1940_(6).jpg
I bet he's flexible.....

Is not seeing Downwind's face a "Smilin' Jack" thing? Do we ever get to see it?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Downwind is supposed to be so utterly, gloriously good looking that no woman can resist his charms. Mr. Mosley couldn't figure out how to draw such a face and make it live up to the billing, so he hit on the idea of never showing Downwind head-on. Hence the gyrations necessary to block his features from view. The strip will run until 1973, and Mosely wikk resist even the temptation to finally show him in the last strip.

Mad magazine, however, had its own take on this. When it did a lacerating "Smilin' Jack" parody called "Smilin' Melvin," it showed Downwind with a hideously ugly face -- but with a thousand dollar bill clutched in his teeth, thus explaining his sex appeal.

D. C. Stephenson was a character out of the worst Mickey Spillane-type novel ever written. He completely controlled Indiana politics thru his domination of the KKK -- which ran the entire state in the mid-1920s -- and was convinced that he could have anything, or anyone he wanted. When Miss Oberholtzer failed to comply with his sexual demands, he force-fed her rotgut whiskey until she passed out, and then proceeded to gnaw off chunks of her flesh while assaulting her. When she came to, she was so horrified by what he had done to her, she took chloride of mercury -- a poison that essentially dissolved her kidneys. That, along with a raging staph infection from the bites, killed her. A "good Christian man standing up for 100 Percent Americanism," according to his own publicity -- but the Oberholtzer case not only sent him to prison, it destroyed the Klan as a force in both regional and national politics.

Miss Oberholtzer was 29 years old. Stephenson lived to be 75.

Downwind is supposed to be so utterly, gloriously good looking that no woman can resist his charms. Mr. Mosley couldn't figure out how to draw such a face and make it live up to the billing, so he hit on the idea of never showing Downwind head-on. Hence the gyrations necessary to block his features from view. The strip will run until 1973, and Mosely wikk resist even the temptation to finally show him in the last strip.

Mad magazine, however, had its own take on this. When it did a lacerating "Smilin' Jack" parody called "Smilin' Melvin," it showed Downwind with a hideously ugly face -- but with a thousand dollar bill clutched in his teeth, thus explaining his sex appeal.

D. C. Stephenson was a character out of the worst Mickey Spillane-type novel ever written. He completely controlled Indiana politics thru his domination of the KKK -- which ran the entire state in the mid-1920s -- and was convinced that he could have anything, or anyone he wanted. When Miss Oberholtzer failed to comply with his sexual demands, he force-fed her rotgut whiskey until she passed out, and then proceeded to gnaw off chunks of her flesh while assaulting her. When she came to, she was so horrified by what he had done to her, she took chloride of mercury -- a poison that essentially dissolved her kidneys. That, along with a raging staph infection from the bites, killed her. A "good Christian man standing up for 100 Percent Americanism," according to his own publicity -- but the Oberholtzer case not only sent him to prison, it destroyed the Klan as a force in both regional and national politics.

Miss Oberholtzer was 29 years old. Stephenson lived to be 75.

I couldn't hit "like" with the Stephenson story, but appreciated all the additional information on that horrible story and on Downwind.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Kirby Higbe is at last a Dodger, with the powerful, hard-throwing righthander joining the Brooklyn club in exchange for three players and an unspecified amount of cash, a total package carrying an estimated value of $150,000. The deal is expected to ensure that the Dodgers will make a strong stand for the National League pennant in 1941.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Nov_11__1940_.jpg

Going to the Philadelphia Phillies in the deal are pitcher Vito Tamulis, who was 8-5 in 41 games for Brooklyn last year, mostly in relief, along with righthander Bill Crouch, who was optioned to Montreal last spring after failing to show much during Spring Training, and catcher Thompson Livingston, who spent last summer with Springfield in the Eastern League. Little is known of Livingston other than that he came to the Dodger organization after two brief trials with the Washington Senators.

Higbe is known for one of the finest high hard fastballs in the National League, along with a potent curve, and his 14-19 record for the Phillies last summer is more indicative of the poor quality of the Philadelphia club than any reflection on his own ability. He joined the Phils in 1939 from Chicago, along with Joe Marty, in the trade that sent Claude Passeau to the Cubs.

(In a crowded candy store down on 71st Street, Joe and Sally are crammed into a telephone booth. "Hey!" says Joe. "I wanna talkta MacPhail! Izzis MAin 7-0430? MacPhail! You know, th' big boy, th' boss! Whattaya mean he ain't in? Gimme that other one then, MacDonal' or whatevva'isnameis! Well, gimme somebody! I wanna put in fa Woil Series tickets!" "Make sure it's good seats!" says Sally. "I dowanna sit upinnem bleachas, see'f'eyguttenny downb'lo!" "WOIL' SERIES TICKETS, I sez! Ya got Higsbee now! I dowannawait'll nex' yeah! I been waitin'anex'yeah since I was seven yeahs ol'! Well, put my name down t'en! JOE. J-O-E. Las' name -- Hello? HEY! HELLLO? T'bum hunggup!" "Here," says Sally, "gimme t'recieva! Yagottanutta nickel? YEAH, I KNOW YEZ WAITiN'OUT'ERE! WE USIN'NISS PHONE! GODOWNA STREETTA DAN'LREEVES! USEAPHONEDOWNEAH! WE GOTTISSWUN!" "I ain' guttanuttanickel," says Joe. "Heah, lemmeout, I see Solly Pinkus stannin' onnaline out'eah, I'll bum onef'm him!" "Well, lemmetoin aroun'! Yagettin' me all tangleup innaco'd!")

The Italian invaders of Greece "have lost the battle in all sectors and are retreating in disorder toward Albania," according to reports over the Greek radio. Italy's Alpine Centaur Division, trained for a year in Albania for a lightning attack thru the mountains, is reported to have suffered "a smashing defeat."

President Roosevelt voiced faith in his Armistice Day speech today that democracy will survive, and that peoples "under modern dictators or modern oligarchs" will rebel to defeat "modern feudalism." The President added, "a hundred years from now" that "historians will say rightly" that the World War preserved "a new order for the ages."

Brooklyn joined the rest of the nation today in observing the twenty-second anniversary of the Armistice which ended the World War in 1918, with more than two thousand representatives of patriotic groups from around the borough parading thru downtown to Borough Hall. Rear Admiral Clark Woodward, commander of the Third Naval District, declared in a speech that "total defense is Democracy's answer to total war."

A state funeral is planned in London for Neville Chamberlain, who died peacefully at 5:30 pm (Greenwich time) on Saturday at his country home in Hampshire. The former Prime Minister had been reported gravely ill for days. Mr. Chamberlain was 71 years of age, and ailing, resigned from his Government position on October 3rd to await death -- unable to live for the outcome of the war he had tried to forestall by appeasing the dictators.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Nov_11__1940_(1).jpg
(Don't ever drink a Coke when you're on the air. I know this from experience.)

Defeated Republican Presidential nominee Wendell Willkie will reveal his future plans this evening in a nationwide broadcast from 10:30 to 11 PM. The national networks have donated the half-hour to permit Mr. Willkie to issue what is expected to be a call for a strong and unified opposition party during President Roosevelt's third term, while coooperating fully with the Administration in all areas pertaining to National Defense.

A woman and four men are in custody, to face charges of involvement in a scheme to forge narcotics prescriptions in Brooklyn and Queens. Thirty-six-year-old Ruth Greco and 28-year-old Louis Pignatelli, both of 54 W. 90th Street in Manhattan were arrested yesterday by Narcotics Squad detectives and arraigned in Brooklyn Felony Court. They will be held on $5000 bail each pending a further court appearance today. Also arrested was 38-year-old David Field of 2601 Glenwood Road, a clerk at a drug store at 1802 Flatbush Avenue, who made illegal sales to the couple and wrote out forged prescriptions to cover them. Two other men were charged with possession of morphine obtained thru the presentation of forged prescriptions at drug stores in Queens.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Nov_11__1940_(3).jpg
(Just imagine how much easier it'll be to get to Howard Johnson's!)

"Just A Builder Upper" writes in to Helen Worth to commend "Biddy Biggs" for her recent letter making humorous and hyperbolic complaints about her lazy husband and dirty, bratty kids," and suggests that Biddy might solve her financial worries by writing a humorous column along such lines. Helen thinks that's a good idea, and invites Biddy to write in again with some more observations. (Subletting your column, Helen? What's your word rate?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Nov_11__1940_(4).jpg

(Aw, no more spaghetti by the pound? There really is a war going on.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Nov_11__1940_(5).jpg

(Ah for the days of bolt-on fenders.)

The Eagle Editorialist urges you to support the current YWCA fundraising drive, noting that there are 22,257 women and girls in Brooklyn who depend on the YW for a home, for guidance in health and employment, and for wholesome recreation. The organization is one of the bulwarks of our democratic way of life.

The Football Dodgers unfurled a pass play they've used only twice before to beat the Washington Redskins 16-14 yesterday at Ebbets Field. The George Calfego-to-Ace Parker aerial for a 20-yard touchdown run in the fourth period carried the Football Flock to a surprising victory -- and smashed Washington's quest for an undefeated season. The play was the same tactic used a week ago against the Giants, and earlier in the season against the Chicago Bears, and suggested that those calling Jock Sutherland a "conservative coach" for his reluctance to go aerial should reevaluate their views.

Dodger broadcaster Al Helfer announces that he's the father of a chubby 8 pound 10 ounce son, born yesterday. The bouncing boy clearly takes after his portly papa.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Nov_11__1940_(6).jpg
("I know, I'll go have a talk with that pilot, Downwind something or other. He's bound to have some good advice!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Nov_11__1940_(7).jpg
(It's good to have friends.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Nov_11__1940_(8).jpg
(Phone rings in Slim's room. "Well, that didn't help.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Nov_11__1940_(9).jpg
(Walk a little faster there, boys. It'll be dark soon.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News....

Daily_News_Mon__Nov_11__1940_.jpg
"Whachagonnadowennyagett'eah?" wonders Joe. "Watch'em not tear downna Woil's Fair?"

Daily_News_Mon__Nov_11__1940_(1).jpg

I say!

Daily_News_Mon__Nov_11__1940_(2).jpg

Endorsed by Martin Dies and Dan Dunn.

Daily_News_Mon__Nov_11__1940_(3).jpg
"Hmph," says Ann Sheridan. "You brought me all the way across the country for this?"

Daily_News_Mon__Nov_11__1940_(4).jpg
"Deafy Sweetfellow." You can see he's put a lot of thought into this.

Daily_News_Mon__Nov_11__1940_(5).jpg
"Kent's the name. Uh, Clark Kent."

Daily_News_Mon__Nov_11__1940_(6).jpg

I think you've both been sniffing that glue.

Daily_News_Mon__Nov_11__1940_(7).jpg
Hey, Snipe -- we've got a situation.

Daily_News_Mon__Nov_11__1940_(8).jpg
"Perfect," thinks Mush. "Narrow ledge, no witnesses, the car's in neutral. One little kick is all it'll take."

Daily_News_Mon__Nov_11__1940_(9).jpg
Yeah, well, given what we see Shadow and Beezie getting up to every Sunday, well, I fear you ladies are a bit late.

Kirby Higbe is at last a Dodger, with the powerful, hard-throwing righthander joining the Brooklyn club in exchange for three players and an unspecified amount of cash, a total package carrying an estimated value of $150,000. The deal is expected to ensure that the Dodgers will make a strong stand for the National League pennant in 1941.

View attachment 279486
Going to the Philadelphia Phillies in the deal are pitcher Vito Tamulis, who was 8-5 in 41 games for Brooklyn last year, mostly in relief, along with righthander Bill Crouch, who was optioned to Montreal last spring after failing to show much during Spring Training, and catcher Thompson Livingston, who spent last summer with Springfield in the Eastern League. Little is known of Livingston other than that he came to the Dodger organization after two brief trials with the Washington Senators.

Higbe is known for one of the finest high hard fastballs in the National League, along with a potent curve, and his 14-19 record for the Phillies last summer is more indicative of the poor quality of the Philadelphia club than any reflection on his own ability. He joined the Phils in 1939 from Chicago, along with Joe Marty, in the trade that sent Claude Passeau to the Cubs.

(In a crowded candy store down on 71st Street, Joe and Sally are crammed into a telephone booth. "Hey!" says Joe. "I wanna talkta MacPhail! Izzis MAin 7-0430? MacPhail! You know, th' big boy, th' boss! Whattaya mean he ain't in? Gimme that other one then, MacDonal' or whatevva'isnameis! Well, gimme somebody! I wanna put in fa Woil Series tickets!" "Make sure it's good seats!" says Sally. "I dowanna sit upinnem bleachas, see'f'eyguttenny downb'lo!" "WOIL' SERIES TICKETS, I sez! Ya got Higsbee now! I dowannawait'll nex' yeah! I been waitin'anex'yeah since I was seven yeahs ol'! Well, put my name down t'en! JOE. J-O-E. Las' name -- Hello? HEY! HELLLO? T'bum hunggup!" "Here," says Sally, "gimme t'recieva! Yagottanutta nickel? YEAH, I KNOW YEZ WAITiN'OUT'ERE! WE USIN'NISS PHONE! GODOWNA STREETTA DAN'LREEVES! USEAPHONEDOWNEAH! WE GOTTISSWUN!" "I ain' guttanuttanickel," says Joe. "Heah, lemmeout, I see Solly Pinkus stannin' onnaline out'eah, I'll bum onef'm him!" "Well, lemmetoin aroun'! Yagettin' me all tangleup innaco'd!")...)

:)

Like Joe and Sally, I'm already looking forward to next spring. When do pitchers and catchers report?

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Nov_11__1940_(3).jpg (Just imagine how much easier it'll be to get to Howard Johnson's!)...

Late at night or very early in the morning, today, the tunnel is still an amazingly fast trip, but once rush hour starts, through the day and until late (sometimes 10 or 11pm) the tunnel can be a bear (sometimes you get lucky, but usually, it's stop and start 'till you get to it - you move through the actual tunnel usually okay, it's the access that's a killer).

Also, its air is suffocating with car fumes. I think they recently tried to do something about that, but I haven't been through it in a while to know if that helped. And there was a HoJo's on 42nd Street in Manhattan, so no need to go out to Queens for mint-chocolate-chip ice cream. :)

.. The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Nov_11__1940_(4).jpg
(Aw, no more spaghetti by the pound? There really is a war going on.)...

Coincidentally, the almond rum cake was the one that most caught my eye, so being Wednesday (in 2020 anyway), off to H&H I go.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Nov_11__1940_(6).jpg ("I know, I'll go have a talk with that pilot, Downwind something or other. He's bound to have some good advice!")...

Maybe find a pilot other than Downwind as both women will just fall for him.

... Daily_News_Mon__Nov_11__1940_.jpg "Whachagonnadowennyagett'eah?" wonders Joe. "Watch'em not tear downna Woil's Fair?"....

The wonderfully named Ariane Allen does not look so blonde in her photo. And nice to see things haven't changed much as the twice-divorced 48-year-old successful fill-in-the-blank man marrying a 25-year-old model is still very much a New York thing.

... Daily_News_Mon__Nov_11__1940_(1).jpg
I say!...

I've amended my H&H strategy for today. Since it has whipped cream in it, I'll eat the chocolate cake while at H&H with lunch and I'll bring home a slice (or two, whom I kidding) of the almond rum cake for tonight. Interesting how the Brooklyn ad focuses on value while the Manhattan paper's ad focusses on luxury.

...[ Daily_News_Mon__Nov_11__1940_(2).jpg
Endorsed by Martin Dies and Dan Dunn.....

Considering how often copy-writes and endorsements were "borrowed" back then, I'm surprised the game's maker didn't say one of them did endorse it.

... Daily_News_Mon__Nov_11__1940_(3).jpg "Hmph," says Ann Sheridan. "You brought me all the way across the country for this?"....

I can hear the exact inflection in Ann's voice and see her exact eye roll (as she's done in movie after movie) as she delivers that line.

We've noted this before, but the rurals of Florida might not be the best location for a custom-made couture-dress shop.

Sam's last line is ominous. Pride before a fall and all.

... Daily_News_Mon__Nov_11__1940_(5).jpg "Kent's the name. Uh, Clark Kent."....

Couldn't be a louder echo.

... Daily_News_Mon__Nov_11__1940_(6).jpg
I think you've both been sniffing that glue.....

Nice to see someone agrees with me about practical jokes. It's also why I am always happy when April 1st has passed.

Sure, one practical joke can sometime work and be funny. But usually, they aren't funny, just slightly mean and, then, it all escalates badly from there.

... Daily_News_Mon__Nov_11__1940_(7).jpg Hey, Snipe -- we've got a situation....

Skeezix, you are blowing past every red flag her brother is putting up. Stop, listen, think.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Dodgers fly out of Floyd Bennett Field for exotic, glamorous Havana on Valentine's Day. Three months and three days to go.

Higbe gives them a pitching staff to stack up against anybody else in the league. Fitzsimmons and Davis are on the aged side, and Hamlin is erratic -- but the only one-two punch that could top Wyatt and Higbe is Walters and Derringer. Enthusiasm is well warranted.

Higbe himself is a notable baseball figure -- although he will be one of the petitioners to keep Jackie Robinson off the club in 1947, he will also be the one who, in a fit of drunken remorse, tips off management that the petition is coming, giving Durocher the chance to nip the rebellion in the bud. He's also a memorable character in "Bums," Peter Golenbock's outstanding "oral history" of the Dodgers. Suffice it to be said that his self-administered nickname on the club was "Kirby F-----g Higbe."

I think it's very cold and mean for the News to refer to Mr. Willkie thusly: "The loser has taken time on all three networks." Sheesh.

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
Women must have spent an insane amount of time back then to get their hair to things like this.
View attachment 277776

It's just a shame he used it to wash down a few too many fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches, oh, and drugs. :)

"Thoroly" was that ever an acceptable spelling?
View attachment 277777

Um, are we gonna talk about Joy or what?
View attachment 277778
Vintage hairstyles are actually less complicated then one my think. Women can achieve such grand looking hair styles with the right hair cut, curling method, and comb out/brush out. Plus pinning the hair, using hairspray, hair rats, or pomade. Are the only tools needed to create these elaborate looking hairstyles.

Its all detailed here in the Vintage hairstyling book:
https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Hai...e+hair+styling&qid=1605122476&s=books&sr=1-17

I've even taken it upon myself to learn how to style my hair into a 1940s hairdo, and here are a few of the videos I've done show casing how simple it really is. Truth be told as simple as I make it look, it took me loads of time to learn how to do vintage hairstyles.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYDxWey75Km8I9FSP_nthpA/playlists

LizzieMaine

Bartender
No wonder Downwind was so crestfallen Sunday. Don't roll over in bed, bub, all those broken pieces of your ego will jab you in the side.

I'm not seeing what's so "exotic" about Miss Carroll the co-ed there, but I'm amused to see that, even in the blurry photo, you can tell her saddle shoes are almost as dirty as mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner