Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

Harp

I'll Lock Up
:)

What she needs to do is "open up" a "back room" for all the extracurricular activity - bookmaking would be my advice - that happened in barber shops back then. Forget about one course, she'll be able to pay for four years of college in no time assuming she doesn't wind up in the hoosegow. (Ehh, everything is a risk.)

I am taking tomorrow off for the Kentucky Oaks and its undercard, and a gorgeous gal here asked for some hoss
advice and if I could possibly lay down a bet or two for her at the track. Hated to do it but I explained that since
the office is a federal occupancy, said constitutes agency and qualifies property as prohibited from wager/bookmaking.
Free speech, a constitutionally guaranteed right is allowed. But no bookmaker stuff. :(

I am taking tomorrow off for the Kentucky Oaks and its undercard, and a gorgeous gal here asked for some hoss
advice and if I could possibly lay down a bet or two for her at the track. Hated to do it but I explained that since
the office is a federal occupancy, said constitutes agency and qualifies property as prohibited from wager/bookmaking.
Free speech, a constitutionally guaranteed right is allowed. But no bookmaker stuff. :(

But since you were going to put her bet down at the track itself - where the state is actually the bookmaker and it is legal to bet - why would it be prohibited for you to do that for her as you aren't bookmaking and she isn't engaged in an illegal activity? In a way, is it any different than if you were going to the library and she asked you to drop off or pick up some books for her since you were going to be there anyway? Unless the argument is that any non-work related activity is wrong to discuss or plan at work.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"A cah," snorts Joe. "Solly Pinkus, he's gutta cah. An Essex. He puttat hydra-matic gas inna, t'ing bucked up onna back wheels an' took off screamin' downna Kings Highway, din' stop till he got ta Brownsville. Annen he runoutta gas an' was scairt to go annywhere to BUY gas. I mean, in BROWNSVILLE. Atsa one place ya do'wanna be in 'less ya got BIZNESS t'ere. He wen'inna t'is cannystoah, you know, cross f'm t'at t'eatah, t' one t' Reds go to, t' People's T'eatah, ya knowweah t'at is? Annyways, issrightacrossf'm t'is cannystoah, an' Solly, he goes inneah an' asta use t'phone, y'know? Ann'eahs alleze CHARACTAS inneah, ya know, anney givvima LOOK, ya know? So he kina takes his hat off an'nee sez 'um, well, fellas, I dowanna distoib yez a' nuttin', an' he kina backsoutta door' an' don' stop runnin' till he's downa subway. Lef'at cah sittin' right'eah inna middle'a Kings Highway. Prolly still 'eah t'day. Poor Solly."

And Sally says "If we hadda cah, we c'd drive t' Flatbush. Pahk right on Midwood Street, right in fronna Ma's house." "Poor Solly," says Joe. "'Attuz a pretty good car. He had it fa yeahs. Useta have funny sayin's wrote on it. One time he had on it 'Capacity 5 Gals.," but af'he got married, she made'im ta scrape it off." And Sally says "when'd you evah go t' t' People's T'eatah? Don' you know t'ey c'n getcha f' t'at?" "T'ey haddis movie oncet," says Joe. "'Salt Fa' Svanetia.' Solly an' me went, we t'ought it was -- well, nevvamin' what we t'ought. But it wunnat at all. I ask ya."

Harp

I'll Lock Up
But since you were going to put her bet down at the track itself - where the state is actually the bookmaker and it is legal to bet - why would it be prohibited for you to do that for her as you aren't bookmaking and she isn't engaged in an illegal activity? In a way, is it any different than if you were going to the library and she asked you to drop off or pick up some books for her since you were going to be there anyway? Unless the argument is that any non-work related activity is wrong to discuss or plan at work.

The act of agreement to do so, not at the track but on federal property is illegal.

Across the street inside a restaurant over candlelit table with Vivaldi's Four Seasons playing,
away from federal leasehold and attendant stricture therein and thereto said request would constitute another
matter entirely. However, the mere suggestion of said dine after such request construe condition
precedent with subsequent ramification condition to and pertain aforementioned locus.

"A cah," snorts Joe. "Solly Pinkus, he's gutta cah. An Essex. He puttat hydra-matic gas inna, t'ing bucked up onna back wheels an' took off screamin' downna Kings Highway, din' stop till he got ta Brownsville. Annen he runoutta gas an' was scairt to go annywhere to BUY gas. I mean, in BROWNSVILLE. Atsa one place ya do'wanna be in 'less ya got BIZNESS t'ere. He wen'inna t'is cannystoah, you know, cross f'm t'at t'eatah, t' one t' Reds go to, t' People's T'eatah, ya knowweah t'at is? Annyways, issrightacrossf'm t'is cannystoah, an' Solly, he goes inneah an' asta use t'phone, y'know? Ann'eahs alleze CHARACTAS inneah, ya know, anney givvima LOOK, ya know? So he kina takes his hat off an'nee sez 'um, well, fellas, I dowanna distoib yez a' nuttin', an' he kina backsoutta door' an' don' stop runnin' till he's downa subway. Lef'at cah sittin' right'eah inna middle'a Kings Highway. Prolly still 'eah t'day. Poor Solly."

And Sally says "If we hadda cah, we c'd drive t' Flatbush. Pahk right on Midwood Street, right in fronna Ma's house." "Poor Solly," says Joe. "'Attuz a pretty good car. He had it fa yeahs. Useta have funny sayin's wrote on it. One time he had on it 'Capacity 5 Gals.," but af'he got married, she made'im ta scrape it off." And Sally says "when'd you evah go t' t' People's T'eatah? Don' you know t'ey c'n getcha f' t'at?" "T'ey haddis movie oncet," says Joe. "'Salt Fa' Svetlana.' Solly an' me went, we t'ought it was -- well, nevvamin' what we t'ought. But it wunnat at all. I ask ya."

"He wen'inna t'is cannystoah, you know, cross f'm t'at t'eatah, t' one t' Reds go to, t' People's T'eatah, ya knowweah t'at is?"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Approximately 45,000 of the 60,000 troops fighting with the British Expeditionary Force in Greece have been rescued, according to a report to the House of Commons today by Prime Minister Winston Churchill. The majority of those troops have been safely withdrawn to bases in either Crete or Egypt. Mr. Churchill admitted that much heavy equipment had to be abandoned during the evacuation, but he observed that "the Germans are not short of heavy equipment." The evacuation of British forces as Nazi troops overran Greece proceeded under pressure from three German mechanized divisions, and Mr. Churchill estimated that Germany had sent as many as a quarter of a million men to fight in the Greek campaign. The Prime Minister estimated British casualties for the Greek campaign at approximately 3000.

Soviet Russia is preparing to observe the May Day holiday with an exhibition of dozens of squadrons of airplanes, heavy artillery, and tank divisions in the wake of a move by Germany to send 12,000 men, along with artillery and tanks, to the Finnish-Soviet border. "The international situation is extraordinarily complicated," stated an editorial in the Red Star, newspaper of the Soviet Army, "and is fraught with surprises." The deployment of the Nazi troops in Finland is seen by observers as one more step toward an inevitable rupture in relations between Moscow and Berlin.

Brooklyn's newly formed unit of the America First Committee is denouncing remarks by Great Britain's minister to the United States directed at former Colonel Charles A. Lindbergh. Sir Gerald Campbell stated yesterday before a meeting of the International Chamber of Commerce in Washington that "we (the British) may be decadent, despicable specimens of white trash, but at least we are white, and not yellow." The local America First group sent a wire to Secretary of State Cordell Hull protesting Sir Gerald's use of the word "yellow" in reference to Mr. Lindbergh, who resigned his commission in the Air Corps Reserve this week in response to President Roosevelt calling him a "Copperhead." The local committee also stated that it is pursuing plans to feature Mr. Lindbergh as the primary speaker for a rally to be held at "the largest available facility" in Brooklyn. Mr. Lindbergh himself, meanwhile, remains at his home in Lloyds Neck, L. I. preparing a speech which he will deliver in St. Louis on Saturday night.

Brooklyn College is under criticism for the hiring, with full tenure privileges, of a history professor said to be a former member of the Communist Party in Germany. Dr. Arthur Rosenberg was approved for tenure by the Board of Higher Education this week, a move that spurred strong criticism from former Judge Arthur J. Talley, a prominent supporter of the Rapp-Coudert Committee and a frequent critic of the Brooklyn College administration, who denounced Dr. Rosenberg's hiring as "a very deadly and menacing situation." College president Dr. Harry Gideonse responded to Judge Talley's charge by stating that Dr. Rosenberg, who left the German Communist Party in 1927, has been investigated and given "a clean bill of health" as "an explicit anti-Communist." He was expelled from Germany in 1933.

Although Staten Island building contractor Cornelius Vanderbilt Jr. died yesterday from sudden heart failure just hours before he was to appear before an Amen Grand Jury to testify concerning graft and bid-rigging in Richmond County, Assistant Attorney General John H. Amen said today that Mr. Vanderbilt had already provided extensive information under interrogation by the Amen Office that will aid the ongoing probe of contracting industry corruption. Mr. Amen described the late Mr. Vanderbilt as "the big boss" of the contracting ring on Staten Island. The contractor's body was found late yesterday floating face down in Richmond Creek, but the death was ruled the result of natural causes.

Flatbush knew her as "The Scooter Lady," an elderly eccentric who whizzed around the neighborhood on an electric scooter, but no one knew, when she died over a year ago, that Miss Josephine Claudius was hiding a secret. Investigators who found her body lying in filth and squalor in a ramshackle old house on Martense Street on February 12, 1940 also found masses of bankbooks, deeds, and bonds indicating concealed wealth -- and figures filed today with Surrogate George A. Wingate revealed that the total value of Miss Claudius's estate comes to $74,783. The sole heirs are a pair of nieces living in Ohio and North Carolina.

(The longer I live, the more I can see myself ending up like "The Scooter Lady," except, you know, without the $74,783.)

The Bible cannot be used as evidence in a secular lawsuit. So ruled Kings County Supreme Court Justice Peter Smith today in a case filed against the Brooklyn-based Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society and its president, Joseph F. Rutherford of 24 Columbia Heights, by Olin L. Moyle, an attorney and former member of the Jehovah's Witnesses sect who was expelled from membership in 1939 and denounced by name in the sect's magazine as "a murmurer and complainer" and an "evil servant" akin to Judas Iscariot. Mr. Moyle is suing the Watch Tower and Rutherford for $100,000 damages on ground that he was libeled and slandered by these and other statements appearing "The Watchtower" magazine. The defense argued that the statements were "in harmony with the Scriptures," and cited Bible verses in support of the arguments, but Justice Smith ordered those arguments stricken from the record on the grounds that the case is governed by secular law, and that the Bible is not a legitimate legal defense in such a case.

Former Dodger slugger Lefty O'Doul may lose his left eye, after being slashed with a broken beer bottle during a barroom brawl in Los Angeles. O'Doul, now manager of the San Francisco Seals in the Pacific Coast League, was rushed to Police Emergency Hospital after the fight with a fan of the local Los Angeles Angels, who approached the manager to ridicule the Seals and failed to leave when O'Doul warned him to do so.

("Hah!" says Joe. "T'em people in Califo'nia. I ask ya." "Seals voises Angels," scoffs Sally. "Ainnat r'diculous ta get so woiked up?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_30__1941_.jpg

(They tried to get Bob to do this ad, but Mrs. Browne wanted too much money.)

Steeplechase Park, oldest and largest amusement park at Coney Island, opens for the season this Sunday at 1 PM. Latest addition to the grounds is the famous World's Fair Parachute Jump, which is expected to help make the 1941 season at the gigantic fun center its greatest ever.

With "Road To Zanzibar" playing strong business nationwide, Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, and Dorothy Lamour are already planning their next zany adventure for Parmount. Where "Road to Singapore" parodied South Sea dramas, and "Zanzibar" gives the same to treatment to jungle pictures, the trio's next escapade will spoof desert adventures in "Road To Morocco." Given the war situation, Paramount confirms that it has abandoned plans to star the three in "Road To Moscow."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_30__1941_(2).jpg

(Both of these features are from 1940, which is pretty impressive for this theatre, which last year was running stuff from the mid-thirties. "Children and Cops Free." Hey, Mr. Amen, what do you think of that?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_30__1941_(3).jpg

(Well, I was gonna say he looks like he's already "on maneuvers...")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_30__1941_(4).jpg
(There is no optimism like the optimism of a team that wins 12 out of their last 13 in April. But -- "wait till last year." "Yeah," interjects Sally, "but PETEY FINALLY GOTTA GAME! AN' LOOKIT 'IM GO! TAKE T'AT, DUROCHA! SOME DOGHOUSE, I TELL YA! Oh, an' I hope Kampanogra isn' hoit too bad. Yeah." And meanwhile -- no more Boston Bees??? I was just getting used to it.)

Charlie Cantor, the man who plays "a wide range of dopes both high and low" on the Fred Allen program, used to be a shoe salesman in Brooklyn until his employers decided he was too funny for that job. He is also no relation to Eddie Cantor. Charlie's real name is actually Cantor and Eddie's isn't.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_30__1941_(5).jpg
(The Turtle sees his chance to save the day. But then he thinks, nah, why bother.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_30__1941_(6).jpg

(MOVE TO A NEW BUILDING)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_30__1941_(7).jpg
(Out on bail after TAKING A SHOT AT THE GOVERNOR? Boy, that Abe Frosch really gets around.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_30__1941_(8).jpg
("A lot of that sort of thing happens in the this country, you know." And the strip's challenging foray into social-message drama is sabotaged by poor editing.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_30__1941_.jpg
"Lissome Vivian Vance." Clip this for your scrapbook kid, it'll be a comfort in times to come. And you'll remember Margie here as the gal who was shot down by the Army when she wanted to send "morale building photos" to every new selectee at Camp Upton.

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_30__1941_(1).jpg

Musta been some kinda pills.

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_30__1941_(2).jpg

Coming Events Cast Their Shadows Before...

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_30__1941_(3).jpg
Here's a man who was "a top band leader" a year ago. All I can say is, he must have had a hell of an agent.

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_30__1941_(4).jpg
This secret police guy looks like he must be based on some specific face. My bet's on the syndicate editor.

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_30__1941_(5).jpg
"Whew," thinks Tracy. "I don't have to go to the department stores with him after all, and I don't have to hear any more whining about suitcases."

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_30__1941_(6).jpg
Yep, Min is the woman in black, and she planted the diary. EPIC TROLL.

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_30__1941_(7).jpg
When Trix was twelve, she knocked a neighborhood bully twice her size flat on his backside. Here's hoping.

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_30__1941_(8).jpg
Wait'll you get the bill.

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_30__1941_(9).jpg
Twenty-four hours later: "Lana who?"

...(The longer I live, the more I can see myself ending up like "The Scooter Lady," except, you know, without the $74,783.)...

Tech-nic-nee, you'd need ~$1,350,000 in today's dollars. She was a quite wealthy woman.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_30__1941_.jpg
(They tried to get Bob to do this ad, but Mrs. Browne wanted too much money.)...

Good illustrations though.

...With "Road To Zanzibar" playing strong business nationwide, Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, and Dorothy Lamour are already planning their next zany adventure for Parmount. Where "Road to Singapore" parodied South Sea dramas, and "Zanzibar" gives the same to treatment to jungle pictures, the trio's next escapade will spoof desert adventures in "Road To Morocco." Given the war situation, Paramount confirms that it has abandoned plans to star the three in "Road To Moscow."...

What a shame they had to abandoned the plans, as they had several Brooklyn College factuality members lined up to be technical advisors. :)

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_30__1941_(5).jpg (The Turtle sees his chance to save the day. But then he thinks, nah, why bother.)...

Also, he just polished his shell for his interview later at "Harold Teen" and doesn't want to risk getting it smudged.

... Daily_News_Wed__Apr_30__1941_.jpg "Lissome Vivian Vance." Clip this for your scrapbook kid, it'll be a comfort in times to come. And you'll remember Margie here as the gal who was shot down by the Army when she wanted to send "morale building photos" to every new selectee at Camp Upton....

That's a pretty good "The Neighbors" today.

...[ Daily_News_Wed__Apr_30__1941_(4).jpg This secret police guy looks like he must be based on some specific face. My bet's on the syndicate editor....

We haven't seen Burma in how many day (?) and Caniff has her pop up sitting on her bed, wearing a plundgeing-neckline nightgown stubbing out a cigarette. Caniff knows exactly what he is doing.

And yes, the secret police guy looks like an elitist, good-liberal NYC editor for whom a dangerous mission is having to take the subway to work cause he couldn't get a cab in the rain.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Authoritative sources report today that Great Britain has overridden protests by the government of Iraq and have landed more Imperial troops in the Near East to protect the rich oil fields at Mosul, and to guard against an expected Axis drive thru Syria against the Suez Canal. The latest contingent to arrive landed at Basrah, 60 miles from the Persian Gulf, despite a formal protest by the new Baghdad Government, which came to power a few weeks ago as the result of a coup d'etat believed to have had Nazi backing. That protest was "not accepted by the British."

A communique stating that at least 80 percent of the men of the British Expeditionary Force in Greece have been safely evacuated is leading today to hopes that more will be rescued. British troops to the tune of 48,000 men have been confirmed as having been evacuated, and British hopes are that the final total will exceed 50,000. British sources acknowledge that it will take time to rest and re-equip the evacuated troops, but it is hoped that they will be of use in the event of a Nazi push in North Africa against the Egyptian frontier with Libya.

President Roosevelt may declare a full state of national emergency in view of recent developments in the war in Europe, but at present, the President is continuing to pursue steps permissible under the present state of limited emergency. Recent declarations by the President include a demand for at least 2,000,000 tons of merchant shipping, to make good on his promise that America will build "a bridge of ships" to ensure a continuous flow of supplies to Great Britain, and a warning to American importers and exporters that they will likely have to abandon profitable trade routes in order to make these ships available for Government service. The President has also issued a call for the entire American population to make "slight sacrifices here, and give up little luxuries there" in order to to help pay the "stupendous bill" incurred by the National Defense program, and further declared that he is actively examining the possibility of price-control legislation to prevent wartime profiteering.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_1__1941_.jpg

Americans will have the opportunity to finance the National Defense program thru the purchase of United States Defense Bonds and Stamps, which went on sale today at banks and post offices thruout the country. Thousands of Brooklyn residents lined up this morning to purchase the new Series E bonds, at a cost of $18.75 per $25 in matured value. Stamps which may be saved toward the purchase of bonds re available in denominations starting at ten cents. In announcing the new Treasury Department bond drive in a radio broadcast last night, President Roosevelt called the purchase of bonds "an opportunity to share in the defense of all the things that we cherish against the threats that are made against them."

Evidence of wholesale bribery by building contractors and bribe-taking by public officials in Queens and Staten Island will soon be the basis for indictments and formal removal proceedings, according to Assistant Attorney General John H. Amen, in the wake of the sudden death of contractor Cornelius Vanderbilt Jr., who, before he was found face down in Richmond Creek this week, had given Mr. Amen a "detailed statement" concerning bid-rigging and "salving" in connection with paving jobs and other public-works contracts. Amen acknowledged that Vanderbilt's death will delay the process of grand jury indictments, but he nonetheless expects to file departmental charges against officials suspected of involvement in racketeering with their respective borough presidents. Mr. Amen hinted that the scope of the scandal he is uncovering will rival the famous Queens Sewer Pipe racket of a few years back, which sent then-borough president Maurice Connolly to prison.

The April grand jury in Queens has handed up nineteen indictments of suspects in the borough's pinball racket. Names of those charged with the illegal possession and operation of pinball machines have not yet been disclosed.

Twenty-five hundred police officers will guard the route of today's May Day Parade in Manhattan, with Police Commissioner Lewis J. Valentine assigning Chief Inspector Louis F. Costuma to supervise the detail. Other details have been sent to guard against political demonstrations, disruptions, or sabotage that may erupt along the parade route. Twenty-nine CIO unions and fifteen AFL unions are scheduled to march in the parade under the theme "Peace, Labor Rights, and Civil Liberties."

The radio networks' wall of solidarity against the American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers is cracking, with reports that the Mutual Broadcasting System has broken with NBC and CBS to seek a separate arrangement with the music-licensing body. Mutual has sent a proposed contract to its 175 member stations that will allow individual stations to choose between a blanket license or a per-program license that may run until January 1, 1950. If the agreement is approved, more than 1,250,000 songs by the leading popular music composers of the past fifty years will be back on a network for the first time since the end of 1940.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_1__1941_(1).jpg

("Nice hat.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_1__1941_(2).jpg

("Hey, it's Nation'l Baby Week! Wonda how long 'at stuff keeps? We could stock up," suggests Joe. "Yeah, we betta." sighs Sally. "Ol' man downa woik ast me today 'if I was puttin' on weight.' T'big fathead, he otta tawk. I ain' gonna be able ta' hide t'is too much longa. T' BIG FATHEAD." "Hey, lookit," says Joe, remembering something he forgot to remember. "In my jacket. Lookit. Brung t'ese home f'm t'plant. T'kin' you like. Full soua!" "I knew t'ere was a reason I married ya," Sally replies, as she strips the wax paper off a big fresh pickle, plunges it into the brisket gravy and bites off a big chunk.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_1__1941_(3).jpg

(Um, this doesn't look anything like Orson Welles.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_1__1941_(5).jpg

(And seriously, if it's one thing the Boys know, it's blowing snot.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_1__1941_(6).jpg
(A full-sour pickle AND a two-game hitting streak for Petey? Sally's in a very good mood tonight. Billy Werber was a hell-for-leather baserunner, considered the fastest man in the National League and seeing him attempt a steal of home is nothing too surprising. But he's usually not this far off the mark. And who a month ago would have predicted Hot Potato Hamlin as the leading Dodger pitcher? Ah, baseball, ever full of surprises.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_1__1941_(7).jpg

(Point of order: Goober is also charged with Doc's cosmic gizmo, so what happens to *him* when the charge wears off? Will he also shrink to tiny size, and when he does, will it be in proportion to Sparky's tiny size, or will they now be equal in size? This question kept me awake all last night, and I really want Boody to address it.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_1__1941_(8).jpg

(Every once and again you come across a group of people who just really seem to deserve each other.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_1__1941_(9).jpg
(Um, by what legal authority does this insurance guy have the right to do any of this? Who's he think he is, a SECRET OPERATIVE?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_1__1941_(10).jpg
(If Marsh really wanted to screw with us, he'd keep this up until "Charlie" takes his bandages off and reveals that he ISN'T DAN AT ALL. And then Dan just shows up with no explanation and picks up like nothing happens. Actually, that's just what Marsh probably WILL do.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Thu__May_1__1941_.jpg
"...and Imperator of the Rosicrucian Order." You just throw that in there like it's nothing?

Daily_News_Thu__May_1__1941_(1).jpg
The regular page-layout guy has the day off. "Kool permanents" are the latest thing, the kind using ammonia-based chemicals instead of the big machine with all the wires on it, and once you get used to the smell, they're a lot easier on your hair. Oh, and get used to Mr. Minute Man there down in the bottom corner of the page, you're going to be seeing a lot of him.

Daily_News_Thu__May_1__1941_(2).jpg

Hey, Leon Rosenmann, come sit by me.

Daily_News_Thu__May_1__1941_(3).jpg
Y'know, Warbucks, we need to talk to you about your plant security.

Daily_News_Thu__May_1__1941_(4).jpg
I'm not 100 percent positive, but I'm pretty sure this is the first time an actual toilet has ever appeared in a comic strip. Leave it to Mr. Gould to make the bold, ground-breaking moves.

Daily_News_Thu__May_1__1941_(5).jpg
Actually, it's *Gus* who's doing the trolling now, and he's trolling *us.*

Daily_News_Thu__May_1__1941_(6).jpg

Well, does she *have* to?

Daily_News_Thu__May_1__1941_(7).jpg
That's what you get for not hanging out the "Do Not Disturb" sign.

Daily_News_Thu__May_1__1941_(8).jpg
And guess what unhelpful sidekick is about to take steps to track Lana down.

Daily_News_Thu__May_1__1941_(9).jpg

"Brave boy." *Sigh.* Mush is a man of prodigious self control, but I wish he wouldn't count his money in the hotel lobby. We know how that usually turns out.

Authoritative sources report today that Great Britain has overridden protests by the government of Iraq and have landed more Imperial troops in the Near East to protect the rich oil fields at Mosul, and to guard against an expected Axis drive thru Syria against the Suez Canal. The latest contingent to arrive landed at Basrah, 60 miles from the Persian Gulf, despite a formal protest by the new Baghdad Government, which came to power a few weeks ago as the result of a coup d'etat believed to have had Nazi backing. That protest was "not accepted by the British."...

Not the most-British thing ever said, but definitely very British: That protest was "not accepted by the British."

...Evidence of wholesale bribery by building contractors and bribe-taking by public officials in Queens and Staten Island will soon be the basis for indictments and formal removal proceedings, according to Assistant Attorney General John H. Amen, in the wake of the sudden death of contractor Cornelius Vanderbilt Jr., who, before he was found face down in Richmond Creek this week, had given Mr. Amen a "detailed statement" concerning bid-rigging and "salving" in connection with paving jobs and other public-works contracts. Amen acknowledged that Vanderbilt's death will delay the process of grand jury indictments, but he nonetheless expects to file departmental charges against officials suspected of involvement in racketeering with their respective borough presidents. Mr. Amen hinted that the scope of the scandal he is uncovering will rival the famous Queens Sewer Pipe racket of a few years back, which sent then-borough president Maurice Connolly to prison....

Maybe it's obvious or well known, but is this Cornelius Vanderbilt Jr. related to "the" Cornelius Vanderbilt?

...The radio networks' wall of solidarity against the American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers is cracking, with reports that the Mutual Broadcasting System has broken with NBC and CBS to seek a separate arrangement with the music-licensing body. Mutual has sent a proposed contract to its 175 member stations that will allow individual stations to choose between a blanket license or a per-program license that may run until January 1, 1950. If the agreement is approved, more than 1,250,000 songs by the leading popular music composers of the past fifty years will be back on a network for the first time since the end of 1940....

Hah, looks like a crack is forming. It's been surprisingly quiet on this story for some time.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_1__1941_(3).jpg
(Um, this doesn't look anything like Orson Welles.)...

That's really odd - no? This movie was a big deal; I can't believe that was a mistake and also can't believe it was intentional.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_1__1941_(6).jpg (A full-sour pickle AND a two-game hitting streak for Petey? Sally's in a very good mood tonight. Billy Werber was a hell-for-leather baserunner, considered the fastest man in the National League and seeing him attempt a steal of home is nothing too surprising. But he's usually not this far off the mark. And who a month ago would have predicted Hot Potato Hamlin as the leading Dodger pitcher? Ah, baseball, ever full of surprises.)...

Awesome picture.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_1__1941_(7).jpg
(Point of order: Goober is also charged with Doc's cosmic gizmo, so what happens to *him* when the charge wears off? Will he also shrink to tiny size, and when he does, will it be in proportion to Sparky's tiny size, or will they now be equal in size? This question kept me awake all last night, and I really want Boody to address it.)...

From the not-shown thought bubble over the turtle: "I think the interview went well. I probably dwelled a bit too much on my education and not the needs of "Harold Teen," but still, good overall. God I hope I hear back as I gotta get out of this crazy "Sparky Watts" world. If it does happen, with any luck, the pay will be better as my car's been making that funny noice again."

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_1__1941_(8).jpg
(Every once and again you come across a group of people who just really seem to deserve each other.)...

Each apartment had its own coal bin? Wonder how that worked from an engineering perspective.

... Daily_News_Thu__May_1__1941_.jpg "...and Imperator of the Rosicrucian Order." You just throw that in there like it's nothing? ....

That was a "what!?" moment.

Also, how 'bout the jury letting the husband get away with murder? I'm sympathetic, but that sounds like a revenge killing. We read Page Four enough to know that if killing men/women who steal wives/husbands is allowed, the murder rate in the country will be going up.

... Daily_News_Thu__May_1__1941_(1).jpg

The regular page-layout guy has the day off. "Kool permanents" are the latest thing, the kind using ammonia-based chemicals instead of the big machine with all the wires on it, and once you get used to the smell, they're a lot easier on your hair. Oh, and get used to Mr. Minute Man there down in the bottom corner of the page, you're going to be seeing a lot of him.....

I'll just point out Babyland for Joe and Sally.

... Daily_News_Thu__May_1__1941_(2).jpg
Hey, Leon Rosenmann, come sit by me....

You and he would have a lot of stories to swap.

I'm with Mrs. Avon L. Avon. And is that really her name or was the editor/fact checker asleep again? I hope it's really her name.

... Daily_News_Thu__May_1__1941_(3).jpg Y'know, Warbucks, we need to talk to you about your plant security.....

From scummy ex-husband and general schemer/scammer to selling your country's military secrets - La Plata just made a major leap up in the bad-guy world.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Two gunmen abducted and robbed an executive of a Queens electric lighting company of a $2,016 company payroll in an audacious broad-daylight crime in Long Island City. Charles Clothe of Congres, N. Y., the general sales manager of the General Arc Light Company of Astoria, was driving along the traffic-crowded Queensboro Bridge Plaza shortly after 11:30 AM, with the payroll on the seat next to him, when two thugs leaped onto the running boards of his car at a stoplight, brandished guns, shoved him into the back seat, and took control of the auto. After driving randomly for an hour, the bandits dumped Mr. Clothe at the corner of 34th Avenue and 30th Street in Long Island City and drove off with the car and the money. The victim found his way to a telephone and called the police, who are searching this afternoon for the car and the robbers.

A total of $50,474.50 in Defense Savings Bonds and $20,274.40 in Defense Stamps were sold at the Brooklyn Post Office yesterday, according to Postmaster Frank Quayle, marking a successful start to the Federal bond-selling drive in the borough. How many more bonds and stamps were sold thru Brooklyn banks could not immediately be ascertained. Postmaster Quayle stated that bonds in denominations of $25 and $100 were the most popular, and stamps in the 25 cent denomination moved briskly. The first sale at the post office on opening day went to Lewis Anker of 2939 Ocean Avenue, who, after purchasing a $1 stamp, declared that he intends to make a practice of doing so weekly, "because it's not only a splendid way to save money, but one of the few ways in which I can help my country."

President Roosevelt today called for defense production on the basis of a 24-hours-a-day, 7-days-a-week work schedule in plants producing critical war materials. The President's request came this morning in a letter to Sidney Hillman and William S. Knudsen, co-directors of the Office of Production Management. The letter was made public at a Presidential press conference during which Mr. Roosevelt also indicated that he is considering releasing Selective Service trainees with qualifications in skilled trades from uniformed service in order to shift them to key positions in defense plants.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__May_2__1941_.jpg

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__May_2__1941_(1).jpg

(There's a new world coming.)

The 69th Street Brooklyn Ferry, which carries 1,500,000 passengers per year between the borough and St. George, Staten Island, is among three electric ferry lines shut down today in a strike by 120 employees of Electric Ferries, Incorporated. The workers, including captains, deckhands, bridge tenders, and ticket takers, walked out as of midnight after negotiations broke down between the company and Local 333 of the United Marine Division of the International Longshoremen's Association AFL. At issue in the strike are a $1 per day wage increase, overtime pay for Sundays and holidays, and two weeks paid sick leave for ferryboat employees. At present workers on the line work a 48-hour week, with captains earning $1.13 per hour, engineers $1.08 an hour, licensed wheelmen 78 cents an hour, and stokers, deckhands, and engine room workers 71 cents an hour.

Branded as merciless killers, not insane morons, the Esposito brothers, "mad dog killers" of Manhattan, will be sentenced to the electric chair next Wednesday, following their conviction in the murders of a payroll carrier and a patrolman in a criminal rampage thru the heart of the midtown shopping district on January 14th. With Anthony Esposito pouty and sullen, and his brother William seemingly vacuous and insipid, the blue ribbon jury returned a guilty verdict yesterday after brief deliberations, rejecting an insanity defense marked by vocal and physical courtroom outbursts by the two defendants.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_2__1941_.jpg

("I'll show 'em all!" snorts Harold Teen. "I'll show 'em I'm GROWN UP! I'll show 'em I'm MATURE! I'm gonna run right out an' buy a GABARDINE SUIT! Yowsah!")

A 31-year-old automobile driving instructor is being held on $1000 bail pending hearing on a felonious assault charge in Brooklyn Felony Court. Frank Vitteritti of Sheepshead Bay is charged with punching 21-year-old Harry Cardillo of 2131 E. 1st Street in the face last Tuesday. Detective Harry Taylor of the Sheepshead Bay precinct told Magistrate Vincent J. Sweeney that the incident began when several small boys playing in the street cracked the windshield of Mr. Vitteritti's car with a batted rock. When Vitteritti seized the boy and began shaking him, Cardillo attempted to intervene, and Viteritti struck him on the jaw.

(Kids Today.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_2__1941_(1).jpg

(Only in six weeks and already he's a corporal? At least wait until he makes sergeant.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_2__1941_(2).jpg

(Walters! WALTERS!!!)

Having been horsecollared in the recent Reds series by Cincinnati pitching, Cookie Lavagetto is now batting below .400 in the National League hitting race. The hard-hitting Dodger third-sacker's average has dropped to .397, good for second place behind Billy Jurges of the Giants, who is batting a snappy .421.

Red Barber picked up quite a bit of Spanish during his Cuban sojourn with the Flock this spring, and he's unfurling it on his daily Dodger broadcasts over WOR. The Dodgers themselves are occasionally known to the Redhead as the "Esquivadores," a bonehead play is described as "marfilada," and when it's time for a rally, Red calls out "vamos anotar carraras!" Which is how the Cuban Fanaticos say "let's get some more runs!"

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_2__1941_(3).jpg
(And that's why "Citizen Kane" is still remembered.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_2__1941_(4).jpg
(Better hope that's a "strike anywhere" match.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_2__1941_(5).jpg
(Ever notice how all the men in the building have George's nose, and all the women have Jo's? Tuthill is trying to tell us that everyone who has any prolonged contact with the Bungles, eventually *becomes* the Bungles. Which is, honestly, a terrifying metaphysical concept.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_2__1941_(6).jpg
(Did you know insurance companies have the world's most efficient scientific testing labs? I tell ya, this Investigator guy is bucking for his own spin-off strip.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_2__1941_(7).jpg
(Poor "Charlie." Starting a new life crushed by the burden of medical debt is almost as bad as trying to continue an old life crushed by the burden of medical debt.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News....

Daily_News_Fri__May_2__1941_.jpg

Poor Stanley and Irene. George Clark characters come to life.

Daily_News_Fri__May_2__1941_(1).jpg
"Whassallissstuff? I ast ya to get me a new setta false teeth!"

Daily_News_Fri__May_2__1941_(2).jpg
Well now. This oughta be interesting.

Daily_News_Fri__May_2__1941_(3).jpg
Yeah, you do meet a lot of shady people in the music business.

Daily_News_Fri__May_2__1941_(4).jpg
Gould sure does like to give us full-on shots of the bodies. Imagine if he drew "Dan Dunn."

Daily_News_Fri__May_2__1941_(5).jpg
I don't buy for a minute that Kiel is dead. He hasn't been humiliated enough yet.

Daily_News_Fri__May_2__1941_(6).jpg
It's that gentle familiarity that develops after thirty years of marriage that makes the difference.

Daily_News_Fri__May_2__1941_(7).jpg

Snipe is actually enjoying watching Skeez squirm. I didn't think she had it in her.

Daily_News_Fri__May_2__1941_(8).jpg
Yeah, great, now get out of town before Moon finds out.

Daily_News_Fri__May_2__1941_(9).jpg
Honest self-criticism is the first step toward self-actualization.

...Branded as merciless killers, not insane morons, the Esposito brothers, "mad dog killers" of Manhattan, will be sentenced to the electric chair next Wednesday, following their conviction in the murders of a payroll carrier and a patrolman in a criminal rampage thru the heart of the midtown shopping district on January 14th. With Anthony Esposito pouty and sullen, and his brother William seemingly vacuous and insipid, the blue ribbon jury returned a guilty verdict yesterday after brief deliberations, rejecting an insanity defense marked by vocal and physical courtroom outbursts by the two defendants....

No risk of "justice delayed is justice denied" in this one so far.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_2__1941_.jpg
("I'll show 'em all!" snorts Harold Teen. "I'll show 'em I'm GROWN UP! I'll show 'em I'm MATURE! I'm gonna run right out an' buy a GABARDINE SUIT! Yowsah!")...

One big difference in then versus now is if, today, they ran that ad, they'd take out the helpful actual names of the colors. So, today, instead of "adobe tan" and "sienna brown," the colors would be "adobe" and "sienna" and you'd be thinking, just tell me what the real color actually is.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_2__1941_(7).jpg (Poor "Charlie." Starting a new life crushed by the burden of medical debt is almost as bad as trying to continue an old life crushed by the burden of medical debt.)

It's not hard to imagine "Charlie" becoming involved with his nurse (yes, that cliche) and, then, Kay returning.

... Daily_News_Fri__May_2__1941_.jpg
Poor Stanley and Irene. George Clark characters come to life.....

That story just made me sad.

... Daily_News_Fri__May_2__1941_(5).jpg I don't buy for a minute that Kiel is dead. He hasn't been humiliated enough yet.....

It all goes back to the The Fedora Lounge Rulebook for Killing a TV, Movie or Comic-Strip Enemy: "Always kill your enemy as fast as you can and, then, check carefully to make sure he or she is dead."

It's impressive that Caniff is not only a first-rate story teller, but also a first-rate illustrator: panel four is wonderfully subtle.

... Daily_News_Fri__May_2__1941_(7).jpg
Snipe is actually enjoying watching Skeez squirm. I didn't think she had it in her.....

IRL, Snipe and Skeezix have already had their "affair" and broke it off amicably - all skillfully directed by Snipe. Thus, Skeezix now coming to Snipe for romantic advice and funds would be, in an odd way, a reflection of the depth and understanding of their relationship. It's a shame King wasn't allowed to write it that way (I bet he wanted to) as that is how real life often works.

... Daily_News_Fri__May_2__1941_(9).jpg Honest self-criticism is the first step toward self-actualization.

The candy wrapper sign to let us know how sugared up Harold is, is fantastic.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
British airplanes flying across the Iraqi desert to the aid of Empire forces have attacked the batteries that shelled the Habbaniya airdrome and have silenced several guns, authoritative sources reported today. It is reported that Iraqi troops have surrounded the airdrome and have shelled British positions. Turkey's Radio Ankara reported today that the Mosul oil fields remain under Iraqi control as fighting continued this morning. It is reported in military quarters that Britain may send ground forces to march on Baghdad and topple the Rashid Ali Al Gailani regime before Germany can fortify Iraq's hold over the oil fields with shipments of men and supplies.

British planes caused heavy damage to the chief German port and naval base at Hamburg last night. Large fires were visible in industrial areas and around the Hamburg docks. Meanwhile, 200 German planes bombed Liverpool, England and the surrounding Merseyside area for hours last night, causing heavy casualties and damage. Ten persons were killed when a church crypt in which 200 had taken refuge from the air raids was collapsed by a bomb.

A challenge to the authority of Assistant Attorney General John H. Amen to investigate the paving racket in Queens has been lodged by the legal counsel to a paving contractor whose activities are under investigation by the Amen Office. Attorney George Morton Levy, representing Ernest Block, vice president of the Carbloc Paving Corporation of Manhatten, contended in response to a contempt charge filed against Block by Mr. Amen that the investigator's authority is limited to Brooklyn only under the terms of the special commission granted him by State Attorney General John J. Bennett. Mr. Levy accuses the Assistant Attorney General of "usurping criminal prosecuting authority" in Queens County "by unmitigated gall."

A sixteen-hour strike by crew members of three private ferry lines connecting Brooklyn to Staten Island has been resolved with promises of pay raises. The strike by Local 333 of the United Marine Division of the International Longshoremen's Association AFL against Electric Ferries, Inc. was resolved following a ninety-minute session in the Manhattan offices of the National Labor Relations Board. A pay increase totaling $14.46 per month was won by the union as a result of the strike.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__May_3__1941_.jpg

(Durocher once described Mr. Mungo's voice as "sounding like Edgar Bergen doing Mortimer Snerd from the bottom of a well." Imagine, if you will, that voice delivering these lines, and you will suspect that someone other than Mr. Mungo wrote the script.)

The twenty winners of the Eagle's Youth Week competition wasted no time yesterday in making big changes as they took over the borough's government for a day. Vincent Scott of Boys High School, appointed acting Superintendent of Schools, burst in on a meeting of the Board of Education to declare the abolition of all homework, and of class demerits, and summarily sentenced all teachers of mathematics to concentration camps. Meanwhile, Sheriff Mildred McGrath, of St. Brendan's School, declared that she will certainly "do something" about the men in Alimony Jail. New Borough President Alexander J. Kelly Jr. promised to help out the 27,000 voters who elected him to the post by appointing them all to jobs as "confidential inspectors."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_3__1941_.jpg
("She was behin' me in school," observes Sally, "but I r'memba her f'm rouna neighbahood. Little bitty red-headed t'ing, but was she LOUD. Had funny lookin' knees, too, kin'a shaped like, y'know, a cobblestone or sump'n. Well, y'know, in show bizn'ss t'ey got waysa cov'rin'att up." "Wha'wuz you doin' aroun' Borough Pahk?" says Joe. "At's way over'nutta side f'm where you lived." "Oh," says Sally," you know, we useta go ova't're now'nnen, kin'a see how t'utta half lived. T'em knees, I'll nevva f'get t'em knees. Well, good, I'm happy she made good. Yeh. I really am.")

The Eagle Editorialist praises the verdict in the Esposito Brothers trial, noting that the fact that the jurors are said to have agreed on the guilt of the defendants "within a minute" of the start of deliberations "does much to restore faith in the jury system."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_3__1941_(1).jpg

("And for gawd's sake, Harry, get a haircut. Who do you think you are, Stokowski?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_3__1941_(2).jpg
(PETEY GOES TWO FOR FOUR. Joe and Sally have a new radio, and just to be safe, Joe has surreptitiously nailed the window shut. Meanwhile, why is the Commissioner's Office not investigating the Cubs for clearly and obviously throwing at Reiser? Can it be that Judge Landis has a grudge against Mr. MacPhail? Nah, that's impossible. Everybody loves Laughing Larry. Meanwhile, there's a lot of action going on in candy store backrooms everywhere as Post Time approaches...)

Radio's most engaging young playwright Norman Corwin will get a six-month series of his own starting tomorrow night as the Columbia Workshop turns its facilities over to him for "Twenty-Six By Corwin." The author of such gems as "The Plot To Overthrow Christmas," "Seems Radio Is Here To Stay," "My Client Curley," and "They Fly Through The Air With The Greatest of Ease" promises to exceed all expectations in expanding what is possible for radio as a dramatic medium. The series opens with "Radio Primer," a humorous exploration of the broadcasting business, tomorrow night at 10:30 pm over WABC.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_3__1941_(6).jpg

(I wonder if Sheriff For A Day Mildred McGrath will get to send any cons on their last ride. I suspect she won't be too squeamish about it.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_3__1941_(3).jpg
(Well, that took a surprising and gory turn...)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_3__1941_(4).jpg
(The little kid in panel three is going to get what's coming to him.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_3__1941_(7).jpg
("Oh don't worry about it, Mother, I'm sure John and Leona would be happy to put us up for a few months at the Governors' Mansion. You could be the cook, Bill could be the chauffeur, and I could be chief of security! Wouldn't that be lovely, Mother?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_3__1941_(5).jpg

(Joining us today in the role of The Chief, please welcome Mr. Johnny Arthur. "Very sad, sad indeed, oh dear me, VERY sad.")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sat__May_3__1941_.jpg
"...and finally killed himself by exploding a dynamite cap in his mouth." It was a Gentler Time. And jeez, Van, you've had almost two months here and the best you can come up with is "I was waiting for a street car?"

Daily_News_Sat__May_3__1941_(1).jpg

"Park Avenue Apperntmn'ts?" wonders Joe. "'At means whenna terlet backs up," replies Sally, "it smells like Shalimah."

Daily_News_Sat__May_3__1941_(2).jpg

The cop is all "Why ya gotta put me onna spot, Jimmy? Huh? Whya? I gotta goil 'bouttat age. Whasshee gonna say wh'nshee seesis?"

Daily_News_Sat__May_3__1941_(3).jpg
The thing to always remember about Burma is that she tries very hard to be completely amoral -- but deep down, she isn't.

Daily_News_Sat__May_3__1941_(4).jpg
Hey Nick, get a load of the punk who thinks he's you.

Daily_News_Sat__May_3__1941_(5).jpg
So much of Tracy's "detective skill" consists of just standing there while some guy tells him stuff. Nice work if you can get it.

Daily_News_Sat__May_3__1941_(6).jpg

I wonder if Skeez has any of that reward money left from last year? If he did, he doesn't now.

Daily_News_Sat__May_3__1941_(7).jpg
"And then you wouldn't believe what the old crowbone did! Sat right in the window like a 5th Avenue mannequin! I tell you, it was an absolute scream!"

Daily_News_Sat__May_3__1941_(8).jpg
In times of personal tragedy, it's good to have friends.

Daily_News_Sat__May_3__1941_(9).jpg
Revenge is sweet.

...A challenge to the authority of Assistant Attorney General to investigate the paving racket in Queens has been lodged by the legal counsel to a paving contractor whose activities are under investigation by the Amen Office. Attorney George Morton Levy, representing Ernest Block, vice president of the Carbloc Paving Corporation of Manhatten, contended in response to a contempt charge filed against Block by Mr. Amen that the investigator's authority is limited to Brooklyn only under the terms of the special commission granted him by State Attorney General John J. Bennett. Mr. Levy accuses the Assistant Attorney General of "usurping criminal prosecuting authority" in Queens County "by unmitigated gall."...

Time for Mr. Amen to get his writ expanded to Queens - problem solved. Also, doesn't Queens have its own investigators?

... View attachment 331776 (PETEY GOES TWO FOR FOUR. Joe and Sally have a new radio, and just to be safe, Joe has surreptitiously nailed the window shut. Meanwhile, why is the Commissioner's Office not investigating the Cubs for clearly and obviously throwing at Reiser? Can it be that Judge Landis has a grudge against Mr. MacPhail? Nah, that's impossible. Everybody loves Laughing Larry. Meanwhile, there's a lot of action going on in candy store backrooms everywhere as Post Time approaches...)...

I thought, the first time, the radio went through the window when the window was down - no?

Nothing better and more American than good-old-fashion illegal bookmaking on the Derby. The woman barber should get in on the action.

...[ Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_3__1941_(7).jpg ("Oh don't worry about it, Mother, I'm sure John and Leona would be happy to put us up for a few months at the Governors' Mansion. You could be the cook, Bill could be the chauffeur, and I could be chief of security! Wouldn't that be lovely, Mother?")...

Since Slim was cleared of the embezzlement charges, isn't he ever going back to his job at the bank?

... Daily_News_Sat__May_3__1941_(2).jpg
The cop is all "Why ya gotta put me onna spot, Jimmy? Huh? Whya? I gotta goil 'bouttat age. Whasshee gonna say wh'nshee seesis?"....

Some nuanced, thoughtful responses.

... Daily_News_Sat__May_3__1941_(4).jpg Hey Nick, get a load of the punk who thinks he's you.....

Gray's itching to bring him back, you know he is. In my short time with the strip, he was the most-interesting character by far. He's probably busy as heck today trying to balance the books with all that Derby action coming in.

... Daily_News_Sat__May_3__1941_(8).jpg ]In times of personal tragedy, it's good to have friends....

Shadow just jumped several levels on the "good guy" meter. He does a bunch of silly and, sometimes, selfish things, but what he did today was first-rate stuff.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
British reverses at the hands of powerfully augmented Iraqi land and air forces, including destruction of several Royal Air Force planes at the besieged Habbaniyah base, were admitted officially in London last night. At the same time, it was learned from reliable non-British sources that Adolf Hitler, responding to an appeal from the Baghdad regime for immediate help, began diverting some of his Luftwaffe squadrons to the Near East in an effort to strike against British positions in Iraq.

German sources last night viewed the hostilities in Iraq with uncontrolled satisfaction and suggested the possibility of similar uprisings in Iran and Afghanistan as part of a spreading Arab "holy war" against the British. Informed Nazis, however, declined to conform or deny reports that German planes are flying toward Syria from the Dodecanese island of Rhodes. Those sources admitted that this was "possible," but refused further comment.

The Navy Department today emphatically stated that U. S. Navy ships are not engaged in convoy duty. In a brief formal statement in response to press inquiries about reports that American warships acted as escorts for American merchant vessels arriving at Suez bearing war materials for Britain, the Navy Department declared that no Navy ships are involved in such duty. The U. S. Maritime Commission stated that it was not aware of any American merchant vessels arriving at Suez via the Red Sea route recently opened to U. S. shipping, but added that it "does not track the movements of all vessels."

A commercial fisherman who refused to remove his nets from waters off Rockaway has forced delays of training exercises for the operators of heavy artillery based at Fort Tilden, and military authorities are frustrated that they have no authority to order the fisherman away. After consulting with the Coast Guard, officers of the 245th and 7th Coast Artillery Regiments were advised that "the Government raises hell when we interfere with those birds," and that there was nothing that could be done to force the trawler to move on. According to the Coast Guard, private fishing vessels are supposed to "read the newspapers" to learn of military activity in coastal waters, but they are under no legal obligation to take any action to change their own schedules or fishing positions.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_4__1941_.jpg

(Meanwhile, Bimilech receives the news with annoyance. "I coulda been a contenda," he murmurms into his feed bag.)

Football Dodgers star Ace Parker broke his right ankle yesterday playing minor league baseball. The 1940 National Football League Most Valuable Player was sliding into third base while playing in Asheville, North Carolina for the Portsmouth, Virginia club in the Piedmont League, and was taken to a nearby hospital for an examination which revealed both a dislocation and a fracture. Doctors in Asheville stated that the injury is "not serious," and that a full recovery should be expected.

As Nazi forces continue to blaze across Europe, the Bible remains a best seller in Germany, according to figures provided by the American Bible Society, with 1,655,584 copies sold in 1939, the last full year for which statistics are available. An "Aryanized" version of the Bible produced with the sanction of the Nazi Government is not included in those statistics. Contrary to popular belief, according to an ABS official, the Bible is not banned in Germany.

Ornamental street light poles will replace the hulking pillars of the Black Spider, once the Fulton Street L is gone. Borough President John Cashmore announced yesterday that there will be 69 such poles, each bearing two suspended lamps, positioned opposite each other along the Fulton Street sidewalk from Boerum Place to Rockwell Place. The standards, designated Type 24-T, will be similar to those now in use along the Coney Island Boardwalk and along 5th Avenue in Manhattan.

The American Legion has asked the Federal Government to ban members of the Congress of Industrial Organization from wearing military-style overseas caps, contending that the headgear too closely resembles that of the Legion and that worn by members of the Army. The Legion pointed out that Federal law prohibits any civilian from wearing any garment that "resembles any part of the official uniform of the Armed Forces."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_4__1941_(1).jpg

("Well," says Sally, "Ma's still got my crib, 'less Pa sold it. An' I know she still got a whole trunk fulla my baby clo'es." "What if it's a boy?" grumbles Joe. "Attat age," replies Sally, "who knowsa diff'ence?")

The Eagle Editorialist praises Acting School Superintendent Dr. John E. Wade for his recent decree banning all "cheap and questionable songs" from the city's schools. "Some of our popular songwriters seem possessed of tastes that are cheap and questionable," declares the EE. "Their songs may pass in the atmosphere of the night clubs and the theatres, but the night club and theatre audiences are not those of the schools."

(And poor Dwight Fiske sighs sadly, and gives up on his dream of one day teaching high school music.)

Old Timer "R. L. D" asks if you remember old Dick Griffin, foreman of Steve Williamson's stable on Herkimer Street. If you rented a horse and brought him back "in bad shape," Dick would be sure you never rented another horse again.

In Greenwich, Connecticut a woman found the nude bodies of her husband and an "auburn haired mystery woman" in the front seat of his car in an exhaust filled garage. Police say Mrs. Henry Lucas found her husband's body, and that of the unknown woman this morning, and an examination by a coroner found that the two had been dead for approximately 10 hours. Mr. Lucas, who was employed as butler and chauffeur for Henry Mars, wealthy New York Attorney, told his wife that he was going to a meeting of the local fire department last night and did not return at the expected hour. The only clue to the identity of the dead woman is a wristwatch bearing the initials N. J. U.. It is stated by the coroner that the couple may have been intoxicated at the time of their deaths, and it was added that their clothing was found strewn in the car's back seat.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_4__1941_(2).jpg
(It always makes me happy when a pitcher "aids his own cause" with the bat. And speaking of free swingers, Bill Nicholson of the Cubs is a fine hitter who will go down in history with the unflattering nickname of "Swish," thanks to the fans at Ebbets Field who chant SWIIIIIIIISH in glorious unison every time he takes one of his big swings and misses.)

The Cuban Stars, "Negro squad" that vexed the Dodgers in Havana this spring, will face the Bushwicks in a doubleheader out at Dexter Park in Woodhaven this afternoon. Another fine Negro National League club, the Philadelphia Stars will make their local bow for 1941 at Erasmus Field, where they'll face the Bay Parkways in a twinbill sure to "produce fireworks."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_4__1941_(3).jpg

(Prime Minister? That would have been interesting.)

"The Man Who Came To Dinner" will remain at the Music Box Theatre at least thru this summer, with producer Sam H. Harris announcing a new price policy. Starting today, tickets are available for the long-running hit at a $2.20 top for evening performances, reduced from $3.30. Other classes of tickets have likewise been reduced proportionately. Monty Woolley is expected to remain with the show thru the summer, and is now in his 19th month as the irascible Sheridan Whiteside.

Harold Lloyd isn't acting anymore, but he's still very much a factor in Hollywood as a producer. His new film for RKO, "A Girl, A Guy, and A Gob," features Lucille Ball, George Murphy, and Edmond O'Brien, in that order.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_4__1941_(4).jpg
(Camels, leopards, Arab caravans -- and Tarzan. I think that covers everything.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_4__1941_(5).jpg

(It's a pity we lose the color here because I imagine Larry's suit is a marvel to behold.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_4__1941_(6).jpg
(Oh that Hermann, always overcompensating. And I own an number of scripts from Rudy Vallee's estate -- I always thought they smelled like "file cabinet in the attic", but I guess there is a faint note of straw there too...)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_4__1941_(7).jpg
(Old "Love 'em an' Leave 'em" Bill strikes again. And please please please tell me that Dan-as-Charley is wearing a fussy pince nez on a long black ribbon in the last panel there. Oh PLEASE tell me that.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_4__1941_(8).jpg
(Honestly, you'd think George woulda given up fishing by now.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_4__1941_(9).jpg
(When I was little I used to wonder why all Spanish men were named "Don." What's wrong with Phil, or Lou, or Steve?)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sun__May_4__1941_(1).jpg
History is full of people you regret lost their lives. And it's also full of people you regret didn't.

Daily_News_Sun__May_4__1941_(2).jpg
My favorite is always answering the phone with a phony dialect in case it's that frigging collection agency from the hospital again.

Daily_News_Sun__May_4__1941_(3).jpg
This is the most Gouldian Sunday page ever. Dull exposition gives way to sudden action, with just an added soupcon of absolute insanity. Well done, sir. Well done.

Daily_News_Sun__May_4__1941_(4).jpg
And meanwhile, Gus was building up pretty well here to where I was really excited to see Bim's action-hero dash into the burning building and then -- pfft. What a let down.

Daily_News_Sun__May_4__1941_(5).jpg
Mr. Willard, though, is very much on the ball. A great setup, sharp dialogue, a nice throwaway shot of Emmy swizzling her coffee out of the saucer like the classy lady that she is, and finally a cliffhanger ending. What's going on, anyway, a Best Sunday Page contest or something?

Daily_News_Sun__May_4__1941_(6).jpg
Zack has kinda lost the plot here -- I mean, when we last saw Jack he was clearly intending to commit suicide, but all we get here is more of Downwind's gamy horndawgging. Nice sight gag with the sombrero though.

Daily_News_Sun__May_4__1941_(7).jpg

OK, well, this one is gonna be hard to beat.

Daily_News_Sun__May_4__1941_(8).jpg
And then we get our boy Harold in the unaccustomed role of Social Conscience. Well now. Maybe the kid *is* finally growing up?

Daily_News_Sun__May_4__1941_(9).jpg

King's Sunday pages, during Skeezix's boyhood, were often spectacular works of art, but in recent years they've settled down to a pleasant, cozy domesticity. But every so often he decides to have some fun.

Daily_News_Sun__May_4__1941_(10).jpg
Today would have been a good chance for the sudden, spectcacular return of Nick Gatt. But I guess Gray didn't get the memo.

(Meanwhile, Bimilech receives the news with annoyance. "I coulda been a contenda," he murmurms into his feed bag.)...

...In Greenwich, Connecticut a woman found the nude bodies of her husband and an "auburn haired mystery woman" in the front seat of his car in an exhaust filled garage. Police say Mrs. Henry Lucas found her husband's body, and that of the unknown woman this morning, and an examination by a coroner found that the two had been dead for approximately 10 hours. Mr. Lucas, who was employed as butler and chauffeur for Henry Mars, wealthy New York Attorney, told his wife that he was going to a meeting of the local fire department last night and did not return at the expected hour. The only clue to the identity of the dead woman is a wristwatch bearing the initials N. J. U.. It is stated by the coroner that the couple may have been intoxicated at the time of their deaths, and it was added that their clothing was found strewn in the car's back seat....

Attention Page Four, Attention Page Four...

...[ The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_4__1941_(4).jpg (Camels, leopards, Arab caravans -- and Tarzan. I think that covers everything.)...

Come for the man in the loincloth, stay for the exotica.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_4__1941_(5).jpg
(It's a pity we lose the color here because I imagine Larry's suit is a marvel to behold.)...

No kidding. There's an entire subculture of clothes in comic strips which reveals a lot about clothes in the period in general. It's probably too "who cares" for a popular book, for definitely a subject for an academic paper (dust catcher).

Also, it's hard to see where this storyline is going as the fight game was always so honest.

.. Daily_News_Sun__May_4__1941_(2).jpg My favorite is always answering the phone with a phony dialect in case it's that frigging collection agency from the hospital again.....

Overall (emphasizing there are exceptions), my experience has been that dry cleaners are the most dishonest "trades people" who will try every trick imaginable not to ever admit or, God forbid, pay for a mistake.

... Daily_News_Sun__May_4__1941_(7).jpg
OK, well, this one is gonna be hard to beat.....

Caniff is now lapping every other comicstrip out there.

This new guy is an awesome character: "...Come, let us disturb ourselves into action."

Burma's speech in panel eight is Burma/'40s/Expat argot joy. Also, this is a punch-you-in-the-gut reveal of Burma's "He was a good kid...sorta reminds me of nice clean things I had forgotten existed..."

How did they not make an outstanding T&TPs movie? It was literally already written.

... Daily_News_Sun__May_4__1941_(10).jpg Today would have been a good chance for the sudden, spectcacular return of Nick Gatt. But I guess Gray didn't get the memo.

For a supposedly brilliant business man, Warbucks seems awfully slow on the uptake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy