Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Today's "Terry" is as close to movies-on-paper as it gets, both artwork and dialogue. That the best they could do with it cinematically is a kiddie matinee serial suggests an extreme misunderstanding of what the strip was all about and who was reading it.

I'm never quite sure what to think Gray is trying to do with Warbucks. Historically, he's used the character as an avatar for his own views, but at the same time the guy is so dense that it almost seems like Gray is also sending him -- and by extension, himself -- up. Maybe you can't have it both ways, but that doesn't mean you can't try. This whole storyline going back almost a year now has felt like self-satire, but at the same time you can tell he *really means it.* Fascinating.

Today's "Terry" is as close to movies-on-paper as it gets, both artwork and dialogue. That the best they could do with it cinematically is a kiddie matinee serial suggests an extreme misunderstanding of what the strip was all about and who was reading it.

I'm never quite sure what to think Gray is trying to do with Warbucks. Historically, he's used the character as an avatar for his own views, but at the same time the guy is so dense that it almost seems like Gray is also sending him -- and by extension, himself -- up. Maybe you can't have it both ways, but that doesn't mean you can't try. This whole storyline going back almost a year now has felt like self-satire, but at the same time you can tell he *really means it.* Fascinating.

Can't believe I forgot to mention what a wonderful touch sending Burma the terry-cloth fabric was - just fantastic.

I've watched the T&TP serial a few times, but can't take how they, to your point, completely missed what T&TP is all about. As we are both saying, the movie is all but sitting on the ground waiting for Hollywood in 1940 to just come by and pick it up.

My guess, it wouldn't work today, but I'd love to see a serious attempt anyway. Call me crazy, but Guy Ritchie might be able to pull it off as his style is "otherworldly/timeless" and usually full of morally ambiguous but insanely appealing characters. Start with some introduction that explains China in 1940 and then let Ritchie rip.

Warbucks needs a Nick as a foil to bring some balance. Warbucks is almost all moral high-ground and theory; whereas, Nick is real life and tribalism, but tempered with a pragmatic heart. Punjab does a little of that, but Nick was much better and more-real-world complex at it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A runaway Long Island Railroad freight car, out of control after being rammed by a 27-car train shortly before 6 o'clock this morning, careened a distance of more than two blocks, plunged over an embankment, and plowed into a two-story house in the Glendale section, demolishing the house and injuring three occupants. The residents of the house at 73-12 88th Street, 29-year-old Teofil Dgiewionikowsky, his 28-year-old wife Evelyn, and their 1 1/2-year-old son John, were sleeping when the train crashed into the structure, sending debris and wreckage raining down upon them. Also injured while trying to dig the Digeionikowskys out of the rubble was 46-year-old Patrolman Timothy Moriarty of the Richmond Hill precinct. The train collided with the car at the railroad siding of the National Builders Supply Corporation, and L. I. R. R. investigators have not yet determined if a misunderstanding of signals or a mechanical fault in a switch was responsible for the accident.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_5__1941_.jpg

After a 20-hour police grilling, a 23-year-old ex-convict confessed early today to the murder of a wealthy Manhattan advertising executive in a botched holdup early yesterday morning. Morris Mardavich admitted to shooting 41-year-old Harry Vance Maxwell, manager of the New York office of the R. C. Maxwell Company when the advertising man resisted a demand that he hand over his money. The victim was sitting in a parked car on a Manhattan street with 24-year-old Mary Jane Cassidy, an advertising model, shortly before 4:30 AM when Maradavich and an unidentified second bandit approached the car and displayed a gun. The method resembled that used by the so-called "silent men," a pair of stickup artists who have robbed several couples in parked cars in Manhattan over the past six weeks. Police will not say whether they know who the second robber is, or whether they have him in custody. Miss Cassidy told police she did not realize at first that Mr. Maxwell had been shot, and assumed that he was having a heart attack.

Two Yugoslav freighters moored at Brooklyn piers were boarded and seized today by the U. S. Coast Guard, and it is rumored in maritime circles that further such raids can be expected on ships of Axis-controlled powers. A detachment of Coast Guardsmen armed with rifles has also taken control of all approaches to the piers where the ships are moored. No information on the cargo of the two freighters has been revealed, but New York Coast Guard headquarters stated today that in due time "all questions will be answered."

Independent political forces in Brooklyn have announced a campaign to purge all Communists and "sympathizers" from city schools and government, and declared today that they will form a bi-partisan coalition to draft a platform and nominate candidates to run for key offices. It is stated that Anti-Communism will be the "chief issue in the campaign." The forces coming together in the drive are made up of former members of the Democrats-For-Willkie movement as well as "Independent Republicans" under the leadership of Aaron H. Eastmond, noted as a key figure in efforts to unite Brooklyn's anti-Red factions into a single unit. It is anticipated that the new movement will unite behind a drive to nominate Queens borough president George U. Harvey, a Republican, for the office of Mayor in this fall's city election. Mr. Eastmond, a former leader in the Kings County Democratic Committee, served as Brooklyn chairman for the Democrats-For-Willkie campaign last year, and now serves as chairman of that group's successor organization, "Constructive Politics, Incorporated."

State Senator Frederick J. Coudert today accused Governor Herbert H. Lehman of working to "undermine" the anti-Communist campaign of the Rapp-Coudert Committee, after the Governor vetoed an appropriation that would have been used by that Committee to pay legal counsel. "What are the Governor's motives?" demanded Sen. Coudert today. "Will he say why he wants to hamstring the Committee and sabotage its work?" The Governor has made no statement on his reasons for the veto.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_5__1941_(1).jpg

("Jeez," sighs Joe. "I hope 'is head don' come to a pernt like 'at. Utta kids'd ride'im awful." "'Twin insurance?'" groans Sally. "'TWIN INSURANCE???'")

Seventeen military, naval, and production experts, including Col. William J. Donovan and three retired admirals today contradicted the defeatist views of Charles A. Lindbergh, declaring that Great Britain can win the war so long as the United States continues an uninterrupted flow of necessary military supplies. While not addressing Lindbergh's arguments by name, the subscribers to the declaration disputed the isolationist spokesman's thesis that England has already lost the war and that there is nothing America can do about it.

In Hollywood, bandleader Phil Harris and screen star Alice Faye are expected to announce their engagement this week. It is understood that the two have agreed on the specifics, but are both awaiting legal freedom to remarry following their separation from their former spouses. Mr. Harris divorced actress Marcia Ralston last year, while Miss Faye recently divorced singer Tony Martin.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_5__1941_(2).jpg

(Priscilla Lane? Hawking butts? PRISCILLA LANE??)

"Miss Flatbush" writes to Helen Worth to plead with people to be sensitive in what they say to children. She recalls being mocked as "four eyes" because she wore glasses, and she's still carrying the the effects of that ridicule. She adds that she knew another child who stammered who eventually killed himself because of cruel remarks and mockery from people who should have known better.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_5__1941_(3).jpg
(All good people ARE DODGER FANS.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_5__1941_(4).jpg

(They read the Eagle in Scarsdale? I'm impressed.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_5__1941_(5).jpg

(Cookie's loyal rooter is "Fierce Jack" Pierce, who runs a restaurant called Lottie & Jack's on Brooklyn Heights. Jack comes to every home game with a huge banner reading COOKIE!, a bag of balloons, a tank of helium, a bucket of ice, and a case of champagne. You can imagine the results. When Cookie's family auctioned off some of his memorabilia on eBay a few years back, it included a number of flyers and cards Pierce printed up to hand out on the streets, extolling the virtues of his hero. "COOKIE FOR PRESIDENT! ALWAYS GOOD IN THE CLUTCH!" Does anybody do that for Fitzsimmons? Well, they oughta. And how about Petey? THREE GAME HITTING STREAK!)

Brooklyn's own Elaine Carrington, queen of daytime serial authors, will make her radio acting debut tonight over WEAF, in the first of four original plays to be broadcast by NBC. She will narrate the story "I Am Her Son," going on the air at 9:30 pm. "I am a frustrated actress," declares Miss Carrington, "and the sound of my own voice may enchant me so much that I'll begin writing myself into my own shows."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_5__1941_(6).jpg

(Jeez, Boody, this is some Gould-level gore you got going on here...)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_5__1941_(7).jpg
(And then the T-Men showed up to arrest them both for illegal hoarding of gold certificates.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_5__1941_(8).jpg
("Well, you've all said your piece, now I'll say mine. See that name in the slug up there? You don't get a vote.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_5__1941_(9).jpg
(Well, this should be an interesting turn.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__May_5__1941_(1).jpg
"Page Four? How you talk, son! We're pushing the boat ALL THE WAY OUT on this one!"

Daily_News_Mon__May_5__1941_(2).jpg
She isn't really a blonde, but what the hell.

Daily_News_Mon__May_5__1941_.jpg
"Charles E. (Palsey) Walsey." Sometimes it just writes itself.

Daily_News_Mon__May_5__1941_(3).jpg
And Terry thinks to himself -- "Those sunglasses aren't foolin' me! It's BUCKY WING!"

Daily_News_Mon__May_5__1941_(4).jpg
Yeah, but who was it who walked out the door with a borrowed fiver in his hand and came back an hour later in a full-dress suit?

Daily_News_Mon__May_5__1941_(5).jpg
I wonder what Chester Gould's dreams are like?

Daily_News_Mon__May_5__1941_(6).jpg
Well, the clothes shopping isn't a bad idea. Nobody wears collars like that anymore but floorwalkers, head waiters, and Fred Astaire.

Daily_News_Mon__May_5__1941_(7).jpg

Seriously? Trixie used to beat up dinks like Wilmer every morning before school.

Daily_News_Mon__May_5__1941_(8).jpg
"Ah," says the Nurse. "One of THOSE guys."

Daily_News_Mon__May_5__1941_(9).jpg

Wellllllll now, won't this be interesting.

A runaway Long Island Railroad freight car, out of control after being rammed by a 27-car train shortly before 6 o'clock this morning, careened a distance of more than two blocks, plunged over an embankment, and plowed into a two-story house in the Glendale section, demolishing the house and injuring three occupants. The residents of the house at 73-12 88th Street, 29-year-old Teofil Dgiewionikowsky, his 28-year-old wife Evelyn, and their 1 1/2-year-old son John, were sleeping when the train crashed into the structure, sending debris and wreckage raining down upon them. Also injured while trying to dig the Digeionikowskys out of the rubble was 46-year-old Patrolman Timothy Moriarty of the Richmond Hill precinct. The train collided with the car at the railroad siding of the National Builders Supply Corporation, and L. I. R. R. investigators have not yet determined if a misunderstanding of signals or a mechanical fault in a switch was responsible for the accident....

Holy cow, it's amazing the family wasn't killed. The pics tomorrow will be something to see.

...("Jeez," sighs Joe. "I hope 'is head don' come to a pernt like 'at. Utta kids'd ride'im awful." "'Twin insurance?'" groans Sally. "'TWIN INSURANCE???'")...

Twin Insurance. Kermit?
Kermit head shake.gif

.. Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_5__1941_(2).jpg
(Priscilla Lane? Hawking butts? PRISCILLA LANE??)...

Squeaky clean Priscilla Lane - can't they leave us anything to believe in? Shows you the different image smoking had back then as nothing today could be more "off brand" for Priscilla Lane than smoking, but that's a 2021 view. And it doesn't even look much like her in the ad.
maxresdefault-5.jpg

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_5__1941_(4).jpg
(They read the Eagle in Scarsdale? I'm impressed.)...

When I commuted into NYC in the '80s, I was on the same train line with some of the hoity-toity suburbs. In the morning, the serious papers were read - the Wall St. Journal, NYT or Washington Post (you could almost tell, kinda, what field someone was in by his/her paper) - but the commute home was when the tabloids came out: Post, News and, if it had been around, the Eagle. Fancy suburb or pedestrian town, everyone read the tabloids on the trip home.

... And how about Petey? THREE GAME HITTING STREAK!)...

Settle down Sally, that's "three" not "thirty." :)

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_5__1941_(8).jpg ("Well, you've all said your piece, now I'll say mine. See that name in the slug up there? You don't get a vote.")...

Back in the real world, the governor's insurance probably pays for temporary housing for a reasonable time until a new house can be bought.

... Daily_News_Mon__May_5__1941_(1).jpg She isn't really a blonde, but what the hell.....

I had the exact same thought - I know it's B&W photography, but that is not blonde hair. I'm assuming this guy was single or the News would have gone with a special pullout section (tee-hee).

... Daily_News_Mon__May_5__1941_(3).jpg And Terry thinks to himself -- "Those sunglasses aren't foolin' me! It's BUCKY WING!"...

This guy's way smarter than Bucky. Bucky was unimpressive and not worth (cue angelic music) Hu Shee's time.

Note how well Caniff drew the very-popular-at-the-time Tweed raglan overcoat on the new guy (you can feel it draping around his shoulders). Caniff is insanely talented.

... Daily_News_Mon__May_5__1941_(9).jpg
Wellllllll now, won't this be interesting.

As you noted yesterday, some of these comicstrip outfits are crazy. Timothy there is wearing a seriously patterned sport coat with a bold-patterned tie and speckled-wool trousers. Assuming the colors one would expect, that had to be one loud outfit.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Billy Herman will start today at second base for the Dodgers, batting second behind Pee Wee Reese, after Larry MacPhail finally closed the long-rumored deal to bring the veteran keystone sacker to Ebbets Field. The Dodger president came to terms with Cubs general manager Jim Gallagher in a pre-dawn conference this morning at the Hotel Commodore, ending months of negotiations. The deal will send utility infielder Johnny Hudson and outfielder Charley Gilbert to Chicago in exchange for Herman and at least $25,000 cash. Both Hudson and Gilbert were on the roster of the Montreal club in the International League on options. Hudson will report to the Cubs immediately, with Gilbert joining Chicago on a date yet to be determined. The deal brings to Brooklyn the top second baseman in the National League over the past decade, who has sparked the Cubs to three pennants over the past nine years. Herman has a lifetime batting average of .310, and is considered the best "hit and run" man in the game. His presence is expected to bring steadiness to what has been a brilliant but erratic infield, with Pete Coscarart's continuing slump during Spring Training as the catalyst for MacPhail's pursuit of Herman.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__May_6__1941_.jpg

("Well," declares Sally, gently folding the paper and resting it on the kitchen table. "It'll be good t'have t'ol' man aroun', y'know. He c'n coach foist base, an' y'know, run infiel' practice, maybe pinch hit, give Petey a break once innawhile, y'know, secon' games o' doubleheadas, stuff like t'at..." "But..." interjects Joe. "Yep," says Sally, "I t'ink t'is is a very fine t'ing." "Howcum ya bendin' ya spoon like t'at?" queries Joe. "I like it t'at way, t'at's why," replies Sally in a calm, even tone. "I soitenly do. Yes I do. Yes yes yes.")

The Dodgers also completed a second trade today, re-acquiring pitcher Vito Tamulis from the Phillies in exchange for pitcher Lee Grissom. Tamulis, a left-hander, went to Philadelphia as part of the Kirby Higbe deal last winter, after accumulating a 29-19 record over two and a half years with Brooklyn.

U. S. Senator Claude Pepper (D-Fla.) called today for the United States to "get tough" and occupy, with Great Britain, such strategic points as Dakar, Africa; the Azores, the Canary and Cape Verde islands, Greenland, Iceland, and Singapore. In a speech prepared for delivery in the Senate, Sen. Pepper he proposed that the U. S. also occupy points in the Far East that would "shut up the Japanese Navy in its own back yard."

Radio Berlin today quoted Baghdad Radio as reporting that British planes had raided the Iraqi capital, bombing a mosque and wounding several civilians. Both Britain and Iraq have rejected mediation proposals intended to stop the fighting, unless both sides quit fighting first.

Rapid reinforcement of the Royal Air Force for "all-out bombing of Germany" was judged today to be the objective of President Roosevelt's emergency order to step up long range bomber production. The program is expected to have an eventual goal of 500 new bombers completed every month, long range airplanes capable of carrying the war to Germany as the Luftfwaffe has carried it to Britain. U. S. auto production, which has already been curtailed by over 20 percent due to the requirements of munitions production, is expected to reduced again in order to increase the manufacture of the engines required by these airplanes.

The Borough President of Queens is "leaving the door open" to a Mayoralty run this fall on an Anti-Communist ticket. Republican George U. Harvey did not, when questioned about the prospect, make any definite committment, but neither did he dismiss the idea out of hand. Mr. Harvey has been mentioned as the first choice of candidate for a newly-formed coalition movement preparing to run local candidates on an anti-Red platform with the purpose of driving all Communists and Communist sympathizers from public life. "I appreciate the compliment," stated Mr. Harvey, "but it's far too early to discuss it."

A 21-year-old waitress will serve from three and one half to twenty years in prison for the killing of her newborn infant. Miss Emma L. Chichester confessed to manslaughter in the first degree at the start of her trial this week on second-degree murder charges for the December 1940 killing of her baby, after the infant's body was discovered in a dresser drawer in her home at Copiague. Her father, 48-year-old Israel Chichester was convicted of acting as an after-the-fact accessory to manslaughter and has been sentenced to a year in jail. It was reported during the trial that the body of another infant was unearthed by investigators in the yard of the Chichester home.

Dodger third baseman Cookie Lavagetto was unexpectedly called to take the witness stand yesterday in Kings County Court, where he was whiling away the afternoon after the day's game against the Pirates was rained out. Judge Samuel Liebowitz noticed the ballplayer sitting in an empty jury box watching the trial, and interrupted proceedings to summon him to the stand. Judge Liebowitz instructed Cookie to take a bow, and introduced him as "one of the stalwarts in the gallant fight by the Brooklyn Baseball Club to bring a National League pennant to our borough!"

Officials of the Borden Company and Sheffield Farms Inc., facing indictments for violation of Federal anti-trust laws, expressed confidence that they will be vindicated. The two firms, largest milk distributors in the city, are accused of conspiring to fix prices for milk sold in grocery stores, but company officials insist that they both handle store milk "at a loss." Prices for Sheffield and Borden-branded milk sold in stores cost two cents a quart more than "secondary milk" sold by the two companies under other brands intended to compete with independents, even though there is no difference whatsoever in the quality of the milk itself. "The fact that Sheffield and Borden have been fixing prices for years is not news," declared Mayor LaGuardia, long a foe of the milk companies, and he called the indictments "a step forward" for the public. Together, Borden and Sheffield control up to 60 percent of fluid milk wholesaled in New York City, Westchester County, and Long Island.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__May_6__1941_.jpg

(I bet those kids would like some Drake's Cakes too. And Paulette, alas, is looking for work now that her marriage to Charlie Chaplin has gone pffft.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__May_6__1941_(1).jpg

(Yeah, I remember this apartment, except the bathroom was out in the hall.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__May_6__1941_(2).jpg
(Yeah, nice talk Larry -- but did you give him the contract he wanted? And the item about Connie Mack is interesting -- recordings of radio interviews with the Old Man reveal that he had a pure and unspoiled 19th Century Massachusetts accent, in which he referred to his team as "the Ath-AH-Let-ICS," and "Riz-i-TOO" fits right in with that.)

Hank Greenberg will be inducted into the Army tomorrow, closing out a long controversy over his draft status, and bringing an early end to the Detroit star's 1941 season. The 1940 American League Most Valuable Player will play his final game of the season today against the Yankees at Briggs Stadium, with pre-game ceremonies planned to bid him farewell. Greenberg will report at 6:30 AM tomorrow along with other selectees from Detroit Local Board No. 23, for transportation to an Army induction center. It is expected that the slugger will be in khaki by the time the Tigers take the field for tomorrow's game -- a game which will follow ceremonies raising the 1940 World Championship banner, a flag that Greenberg did so much to earn. "It's hard to give up baseball," declared Greenberg at a farewell dinner last night. "It's the only thing I've thought of since I was a kid. But I want all you people to know that I'll do my best to uphold your confidence and be a soldier of whom you'll be proud."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__May_6__1941_(3).jpg

("Yeah," says Rosemary, "but it still shoulda been me in that cigarette ad.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__May_6__1941_(4).jpg

(What, you mean the Mirror and the Journal-American didn't review it? IMAGINE THAT.)

The daughter of Calamity Jane will appear on "We The People" tonight at 9 over WABC. Mrs. Jean Hickock McCormick will describe how she had no idea growing up that her mother had been a famous Wild West personality, and didn't find it out at all until her mother was dead. She will also read a confession written by Calamity Jane during her final years in Deadwood, South Dakota.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__May_6__1941_(5).jpg

(OK, Turtle -- it's up to you!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__May_6__1941_(6).jpg

(There's a fine line between "mealy mouthed" and "completely amoral.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__May_6__1941_(7).jpg
(And thus we go full-circle. You may recall it was the crash of the Stockpool private plane on that farm in the fall of 1939 that introduced us to Leona. MAYBE SHE'S GOT A SISTER!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__May_6__1941_(8).jpg

(For that matter, who knows what Mary will find growing on her farm when she gets there...)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News....

Daily_News_Tue__May_6__1941_.jpg
"Awright," growls Mary Ann. "Izzis blonde enough for ya?"

Daily_News_Tue__May_6__1941_(1).jpg

"Arthur Murray Taught Me Dancing In A Hurry"

Daily_News_Tue__May_6__1941_(2).jpg
The gloves are off.

Daily_News_Tue__May_6__1941_(3).jpg
And he just can't wait...

Daily_News_Tue__May_6__1941_(4).jpg
I've driven in a lot of parades for a lot of years, but this has never happened to me.

Daily_News_Tue__May_6__1941_(5).jpg
"I'mmmm playing with fire....I'mmmm gonnna get burned...."

Daily_News_Tue__May_6__1941_(6).jpg
Ohhhhh, I don't think you'll have to worry about that at all....

Daily_News_Tue__May_6__1941_(7).jpg
Boardinghouses had a well-earned reputation for being dens of iniquity.

Daily_News_Tue__May_6__1941_(8).jpg
Aw, c'mon, Trix, don't leave us hanging...

Daily_News_Tue__May_6__1941_(9).jpg
The last time Pruny was in town she left poor old Poppa Jenks' heart in the dust. And Grandpa Teen may be a whiz at business, but he's got his grandson's sensibility when it comes to romance. So I think we know where this is headed....

("Well," declares Sally, gently folding the paper and resting it on the kitchen table. "It'll be good t'have t'ol' man aroun', y'know. He c'n coach foist base, an' y'know, run infiel' practice, maybe pinch hit, give Petey a break once innawhile, y'know, secon' games o' doubleheadas, stuff like t'at..." "But..." interjects Joe. "Yep," says Sally, "I t'ink t'is is a very fine t'ing." "Howcum ya bendin' ya spoon like t'at?" queries Joe. "I like it t'at way, t'at's why," replies Sally in a calm, even tone. "I soitenly do. Yes I do. Yes yes yes.")...

Joe's gonna have a nervous breakdown and no one will understand why.

...A 21-year-old waitress will serve from three and one half to twenty years in prison for the killing of her newborn infant. Miss Emma L. Chichester confessed to manslaughter in the first degree at the start of her trial this week on second-degree murder charges for the December 1940 killing of her baby, after the infant's body was discovered in a dresser drawer in her home at Copiague. Her father, 48-year-old Israel Chichester was convicted of acting as an after-the-fact accessory to manslaughter and has been sentenced to a year in jail. It was reported during the trial that the body of another infant was unearthed by investigators in the yard of the Chichester home....

Note to the Eagle editor: this "It was reported during the trial that the body of another infant was unearthed by investigators in the yard of the Chichester home." is not a, oh-by-the-way fact. That is a big deal.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__May_6__1941_(1).jpg
(Yeah, I remember this apartment, except the bathroom was out in the hall.)...

You can really feel the era in this wonderful illustration.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__May_6__1941_(3).jpg
("Yeah," says Rosemary, "but it still shoulda been me in that cigarette ad.")...

Doesn't sound as if all is really happy in the Lane household.

Comments on Priscilla's new movie here: #28038

And a still from it. Hmm, she does look slimmer and is pulling out all the stops (umm, leg) to make her first solo effort a hit:
266844-2565dd6de85991711b083d6cf1caa74c.jpg

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__May_6__1941_(4).jpg
(What, you mean the Mirror and the Journal-American didn't review it? IMAGINE THAT.)...

I saw in the 2021 paper this morning that "Kane" will finally be coming to Brooklyn next week, just in time for Sally and Joe's grandkids to catch it.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__May_6__1941_(6).jpg
(There's a fine line between "mealy mouthed" and "completely amoral.")...

I've been in a few too many meeting where someone tried to get away with a version of George's logic. Tuthill has too as George's dialogue today is very realistic.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__May_6__1941_(8).jpg
(For that matter, who knows what Mary will find growing on her farm when she gets there...)

It's interesting to read this storyline with our present direction being all toward legalization.

... Daily_News_Tue__May_6__1941_.jpg "Awright," growls Mary Ann. "Izzis blonde enough for ya?"....

Yeh, it does look blonde today.

The missing-6-year-old story is very creepy.

... Daily_News_Tue__May_6__1941_(5).jpg "I'mmmm playing with fire....I'mmmm gonnna get burned...."......

She's no Hu Shee (who is?), but Burma's got it going on.

... Daily_News_Tue__May_6__1941_(6).jpg Ohhhhh, I don't think you'll have to worry about that at all......

Reminder to everyone who isn't Andy, we are talking about 100 shares trading in the thirties or say ~$3500, about $63,000 today (before taxes on the gains). Yes, a lot of money, but I don't think Andy understands how this works.

Terry, what is taking you so long?

Terry must think this is the Olympics and he doesn't want to lose his amateur status. :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I want to know what kind of blackmail Larry is pulling to get Herman off the Cubs for two marginal players -- and cash! Either MacPhail knows who Mr. Wrigley is sleeping with, or Herman really wants out of Chicago. Otherwise, this is a deal that makes no sense from the Cubs' point of view, and I look forward to Holmes or Parrott or Jimmy Powers or somebody doing some investigation.

I want to know what kind of blackmail Larry is pulling to get Herman off the Cubs for two marginal players -- and cash! Either MacPhail knows who Mr. Wrigley is sleeping with, or Herman really wants out of Chicago. Otherwise, this is a deal that makes no sense from the Cubs' point of view, and I look forward to Holmes or Parrott or Jimmy Powers or somebody doing some investigation.

To your implied point, there almost always is a reason that makes sense, finding it can be the hard part.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
To your implied point, there almost always is a reason that makes sense, finding it can be the hard part.

Where the Chicago Cubs are concerned, reason is rather scarce, such as when Joe G ex-Cub catcher, Northwestern
University engineering grad, a decade of New York big ball managerial experience wasn't hired in favor of a yes man.
Yes could have served apprentice to Joe G as a bench boss. Too much front office inside the Cub dugout.

This Gallagher guy is GM in 1941 because he was a sportswriter who wouldn't stop ragging on the team. "You know so much," said Wrigley, "YOU run the club."

Hiring a loud critic (to shut them up) is still quite common today. Many a government regulator has "moved into the private sector" with just such a wind at his/her back.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
This Gallagher guy is GM in 1941 because he was a sportswriter who wouldn't stop ragging on the team. "You know so much," said Wrigley, "YOU run the club."

Wrigley's son William also owned the Chicago Blackhawks hockey team, denied Chicago fans television access
to Hawk games and single handedly deprived a full generation of Chicago kids local pro hockey.
Born with a silver spoon in his hand and another spoon shoved up his ass.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Federal agents and New York City police in a series of swift raids today rounded up more than 130 Nazi seamen stranded here by the war and bundled them off to Ellis Island. The raids, conducted under direct orders from Washington, were made before dawn this morning on boardinghouses, hotels, and all-night restaurants known to be frequented by German nationals, with many of the men rousted out of beds or picked out of groups congregated at restaurant tables. Most of the men are reported to be employed by the Standard Oil Company of New Jersey as crewmen on tankers, and it is further reported that the men have been maintained in this country by that company since the war began. After interrogation and processing by authorities on Ellis Island, the men will be sent to "a concentration camp in the west or midwest," but the specific location of that camp has not been given. It is also reported that four German employees of an American oil company were seized yesterday in San Francisco after they unsuccessfully attempted to book passage for Japan.

Secretary of War Henry L. Stimson's call last night for direct naval aid to Great Britain roused debate in the Capitol today. The Secretary's radio address is being widely denounced by non-interventionists as "a proposal to go to war," but administration supporters of Mr. Stimson's remarks are said to be "applauding privately." The Secretary's speech comes as the most direct summons to action yet heard from any person of high responsibility within the Roosevelt Administration, and White House Press Secretary Stephen Early was careful to point out that Mr. Stimson had "discussed the speech with the President" before going on the air.

British and German planes are locked in deadly aerial combat over the English Channel today after Nazi forces unleashed a daring daylight assault on the southeast coast. The whine of diving Spitfires and Messerchmitts and the chatter of aerial machine-gun fire rang out as far as the Thames Estuary, and reports state that at least four Nazi planes and one Britsh plane have been shot down.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__May_7__1941_.jpg

(The most endearing thing about Butch is that he really and truly does love his job.)

Queens County Judge Charles B. Coden today endorsed the ongoing probe of the Queens paving racket by Assistant Attorney General John H. Amen, and overruled claims that the Amen Office has illegally usurped the investigative authority of Queens District Attorney Charles P. Sullivan, noting that the contempt of court citation which prompted the suit by Carbloc Paving Company Vice President Ernest Block was not issued by an Amen Grand Jury, but by the regular Queens County Grand Jury held over from last September. Mr. Block called for dismissal of that proceeding on the grounds that Mr. Amen's official authority only covers the borough of Brooklyn, and that he has no authority to mount investigations in Queens County.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__May_7__1941_(1).jpg

(If you're going to pull an insurance swindle with you as the dead man, it's not a good idea to walk into the insurance office and ask for your share of the settlement. Even George Bungle wouldn't do that, probably.)

Fan-dancing Sally Rand left a group of Harvard men steamed up and undressed last night at a freshmen's smoker at a Cambridge, Massachusetts theatre. The well-known former proprietress of the World's Fair Nude Ranch, greeted by raucous cries of "take them off!" as she swayed onto the stage shouted back "I will if you will!" Instantly, Miss Rand was pelted with articles of menswear energetically separated from her owners, but she declined to unzip so much as a zipper in response. Offering instead to waltz with any willing freshman, Miss Rand scrambled for safety as the agitated young men swarmed the stage. The performer escaped out the stage door to a waiting car, as the freshmen surged into the street in a state of semi-exposure, yelling "WE WANT SALLY WITHOUT HER FANS!" Police charged into the mob and eventually drove the throng back into Harvard Yard, where they were left to the mercies of campus police.

The" spindle-shanked, long-armed Negro pitcher" proclaimed by no less an authority than Joe DiMaggio as the "equal of any major leaguer," Leroy "Satchel" Paige, in person, will appear at Yankee Stadium Sunday with the New York Black Yankees, in a Negro National League doubleheader against the Philadelpha Stars. The games are part of the annual Ruppert Memorial Cup tournament, established by the white Yankees in 1939 to honor the top Negro baseball clubs.

The mother of the fifteen-year-old Ridgewood girl who killed herself in despair last month because she could not afford a new Easter outfit has been arraigned on charges of violating the Sullivan Law. Forty-four-year-old Mrs. Mary Guigliano, mother of Concetta Guigliano, was arrested after the patrolman who investigated her daughter's suicide concluded that the old revolver the girl used to shoot herself was not registered.

W. B. writes to Helen Worth wondering what to do about her neighbors, "some of them teen age," who are constantly shouting loud, obscene language which she can clearly hear thru the walls of her apartment. "Sunday this goes on all day long. What can I do? I don't want to move." Helen suggests going to either the Board of Health or the Police Department. "It is not necessary for anyone to tolerate such horrid disturbances," declares Helen.

(Reminds me of former neighbors of mine, who had the habit of yelling "YOU ROTTEN F***ER!" at each other at 2 in the morning. I'd roll over in bed, put a pillow over my years, and murmur "ah, another 'rotten f***er night.' Those were the days.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__May_7__1941_(2).jpg

(Ah, Nescafe. A regular fixture on my grandparents' table, until they decided it was too strong and switched to Sanka.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__May_7__1941_(3).jpg

(Mr. Schroth can expect an offended letter from Lavagetto and Camilli.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__May_7__1941_(4).jpg

(Before the days of the unlimited defense budget.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__May_7__1941_(5).jpg

("FOAH FA' FOAH!" exults Joe. "I ASK YA!" "I'm very happy f' t' ol' man," comments Sally in a careful, clipped voice. "It's very hahtwammin' ta see a elderly gen'aman able ta have a las' day inna sun." Meanwhile, shed a tear for poor Petey, who's got to feel serious mixed emotions about all this. Last year, he was an All-Star, enjoying nights on the town at the Columbus Club Roof, this year he's just that skinny guy down the end of the dugout. "Well," he says, "at least I'll get a World Series check. RIGHT?")

Lillian Hellman's prizewinning play "The Little Foxes" opens the summer series of legitimate theatre at the Flatbush, and even though Tallulah Bankhead is nowhere to be seen, the production is still well cast and its story of buried cruelties in a scheming Southern family is still heady stuff. Katherine Warren makes you not miss La Bankhead as much as you might.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__May_7__1941_(6).jpg
(I'd love to get a look at what Doc's diploma says. My money's on "Notary Public.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__May_7__1941_(7).jpg
(Obviously a cousin, but which cousin? There's too many to keep track.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__May_7__1941_(8).jpg
(Mary can be a pretty tough egg when she needs to be. Nice job putting the boot on Slim. Bill, you better pay attention.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__May_7__1941_(9).jpg

(WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Wed__May_7__1941_(1).jpg
"I've got doctor's bills to pay." Sigh.

Daily_News_Wed__May_7__1941_(2).jpg

Y'know, Ed probably *is* the kind of guy who goes into a swanky nightclub, wearing a tux, and orders a Rheingold.

Daily_News_Wed__May_7__1941_(3).jpg

The "Report on Chain Broadcasting," just released by the FCC, is a real blockbuster, and this is a very bad time for NBC and CBS to try and "make coercive efforts" on anybody.

Daily_News_Wed__May_7__1941_(4).jpg
"Oh, but certainly sahib." Punjab, the true king of all trolls.

Daily_News_Wed__May_7__1941_(5).jpg

She's already three moves ahead of you, Fritz.

Daily_News_Wed__May_7__1941_(6).jpg
I know there's no point in trying find meaning in this kind of stuff, but I'd love to know exactly what kind of business that float is supposed to represent. Probably some law firm where the majority partner is always a laugh riot at the Bar Association annual dinner.

Daily_News_Wed__May_7__1941_(7).jpg

Hey Andy, where were you in 1929?

Daily_News_Wed__May_7__1941_(8).jpg

Gawdloveya, Trix. You haven't changed a bit.

Daily_News_Wed__May_7__1941_(9).jpg
Actually, Kayo's a natural for pictures. Baby Sandy, look out.

Daily_News_Wed__May_7__1941_(10).jpg
It's always interesting to see the precise moment before the brawl erupts.

Federal agents and New York City police in a series of swift raids today rounded up more than 130 Nazi seamen stranded here by the war and bundled them off to Ellis Island. The raids, conducted under direct orders from Washington, were made before dawn this morning on boardinghouses, hotels, and all-night restaurants known to be frequented by German nationals, with many of the men rousted out of beds or picked out of groups congregated at restaurant tables. Most of the men are reported to be employed by the Standard Oil Company of New Jersey as crewmen on tankers, and it is further reported that the men have been maintained in this country by that company since the war began. After interrogation and processing by authorities on Ellis Island, the men will be sent to "a concentration camp in the west or midwest," but the specific location of that camp has not been given. It is also reported that four German employees of an American oil company were seized yesterday in San Francisco after they unsuccessfully attempted to book passage for Japan....

And what might those concentration camps be like? FL member @AmateisGal is the author of this outstanding book on those camps:
51OdtLC1NsL._SY346_.jpg
My comments on the book here: #6199

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__May_7__1941_.jpg

(The most endearing thing about Butch is that he really and truly does love his job.)...

As Lizzie often points out, we see the beginnings of the changes for the better that were to come in a few decades in these 1941 papers, but housing projects, sadly, are the reverse as they show well-intended promises that turned into nightmares as so many of these housing projects became and, sadly, still are to this day.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__May_7__1941_(1).jpg
(If you're going to pull an insurance swindle with you as the dead man, it's not a good idea to walk into the insurance office and ask for your share of the settlement. Even George Bungle wouldn't do that, probably.)...

Seems a bit "Treasure of the Sierra Madre." It's a shame crooks can't be trusted.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__May_7__1941_(9).jpg
(WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?)

What are you worried about. Kay's had all that training? Oh, right, she has had no training that we know of and she's going after ruthless drug dealers. But she can lean Irwin's skills and experience. Kermit?
Kermit head shake.gif

... Daily_News_Wed__May_7__1941_(1).jpg "I've got doctor's bills to pay." Sigh.....

The kidnapped girl story only got worse today. Sadly, I don't think the mother had any idea what, most likely, was going on.

It will be interesting to see who "lost" $7500. If they have any heart, they'll pay her bills, but I have a feeling something funny is going on with that money.

... Daily_News_Wed__May_7__1941_(5).jpg
She's already three moves ahead of you, Fritz....

Panel four: only a woman who has been knocked around occupied China and has seen the unvarnished good and bad in man smokes a cigarette dangling from her lips that way.

April Kane is innocence and purity; The Dragon Lady is power and dominance; Raven Sherman is rich girl with grit and Burma is life lived hard. Ahhhhhh, but Hu Shee.

Caniff is amazing.

... Daily_News_Wed__May_7__1941_(7).jpg
Hey Andy, where were you in 1929?....

And now he implies he owns 200 shares (I'm not sure Andy really knows). We all know how this will end. The more interesting part is how Andy thinks he's going to become the next Rockefeller with one or two hundred shares of a thirty dollar stock. In his mind though, he's having a good run in life right now: he's making "millions" and a mystery woman is his secret admirer. He should check out now as it's all downhill from here.

... Daily_News_Wed__May_7__1941_(10).jpg It's always interesting to see the precise moment before the brawl erupts.

While it's billed as a feud between "the families," we all know this about one thing: Mother vs. Mother.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Panel four: only a woman who has been knocked around occupied China and has seen the unvarnished good and bad in man smokes a cigarette dangling from her lips that way.

April Kane is innocence and purity; The Dragon Lady is power and dominance; Raven Sherman is rich girl with grit and Burma is life lived hard. Ahhhhhh, but Hu Shee.

Caniff is amazing.

Things are dragging like Hector betwixt Terry and Burma.
And Hu Shee is being pursued by love lorn Lucky Bucky Wing-ding. /

German prisoner of war camps were established throughout the United States, Ft Polk, Louisiana
and Ft Bragg, North Carolina were two active military posts that hosted. At one site, I believe in Kansas,
perhaps Ft Riley, several German POWs were executed for murdering an informant. Another episode in which
German agents were landed off the coast of North Carolina by submarine, those on the lam were quickly
rounded up and given electric chair throne. German generals were held in Asheville, NC, and locals tried
to pick off window gazers with muzzle load rifles. One camp out in Nevada or New Mexico had a successful
escapee. A German soldier who was never found.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner