Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
President Roosevelt will ask Congress tomorrow to revise the entire Neutrality Law, and an immediate effort will be made to have the House pass the first part of the revision -- to permit the arming of American merchant vessels -- by the early part of next week. This was the plan agreed upon today in a second conference between the President and leaders of both houses of Congress. Legislative leaders said today that the President will emphasize in his message to Congress the urgency of the present situation and will argue that the presence of German submarine warfare in the North Atlantic endangers American vessels serving U. S. bases in Iceland and elsewhere.

The bitter battle between the left and right wings of the American Labor Party took a new twist today with a hearing to be scheduled to determine exactly who is entitled to the ALP's nomination for Kings County Surrogate's Court on the November ballot. The ALP's Kings County Executive Committee, aligned with the party's right-wing faction, delivered to the Board of Elections certification for Robert H. Haskell, former corporation counsel to Mayor LaGuardia, as the party's official nominee for the Surrogate's Court, while the Kings County ALP Party Committee, controlled by the left-wing faction, submitted certification naming Special Sessions Justice William Stanley Miller as the nominee for that office. The actual winner of the primary election, Julius Bagley, aligned with the ALP left wing, vacated the nomination to accept a nomination to the Supreme Court, leading to the present dispute. At issue is control of the Surrogate's Court itself, a decision proclaimed by Mayor LaGuardia as "the chief issue facing Brooklyn voters" this year.

The German agent termed the "top ranking propagandist in the country" was arraigned in Washington today on charges of violating the Alien Registration Act. George Sylvester Viereck was arrested yesterday in Manhattan and held on $20,000 bail. During his arraignment, U. S. Attorney William P. Maloney charged that Viereck has a "long history as a German agent and Nazi propagandist" in the United States, and noted that Viereck has admitted to receiving payments of at least $40,000 from the German government, "and there may be much more." It is alleged that Viereck has helped to organize, administer, and fund various isolationist groups, and that he has been involved in the "dissemination of information to newspapers and other publications in order to influence and mold American public opinion." It is also alleged that certain materials prepared under Viereck's direction were sent thru the mails under Congressional franking privileges.

The former international executive secretary of the Transport Workers Union CIO was arrested today on charges of entering the country illegally. John Santo, a former aide to TWU president Michael Quill, is said to have been born in either Rumania or Hungary, but it is uncertain which, nor have the circumstances under which he entered the United States been revealed. Santo has frequently appeared on the platform alongside Mr. Quill at labor meetings in Brooklyn and elsewhere, and has been sharing a $60-a-month two-room apartment at 82 Pierrepont Street with an unidentified woman.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Oct_8__1941_.jpg

(Solidarity Forever!)

Two Brooklyn boys planning to row a homemade river scow to the Catskill Mountains for a hunting trip found themselves instead washing ashore at Pier 19, after strong currents foiled their three-day adventure. Fifteen-year-old Alex Singer of 107 Van Buren Street and 17-year-old Norman Greenspan of 249 Stockon Street set out aboard their 14-foot boat from the base of the Williamsburg Bridge on Monday, carrying two 22-caliber rifles, ten cans of beans, a raccoon coat belonging to Greenspan's mother, and a book of New York hunting and fishing regulations. But strong winds and brisk currents instead carried them around the Battery and into the North River, and when the scow began to take on water, they made for a safe port at the pier. As a friendly truck driver carried their boat back to Brooklyn, the boys vowed to try again later.

A nine-year-old Williamsburg boy died last night after being impaled on an iron fence. John Mykolyszen of 357 S. 5th Street fell out of a tree in front of 318 Keap Street, and onto a spike-tipped fence picket in front of the house. His friends pulled him off the spike, but the boy collapsed and died before a doctor could be summoned.

An 18-year-old Ozone Park girl has finally stopped hiccoughing thanks to a surgical operation performed early yesterday at Van Wyck Hospital in Jamaica. Miss Anna Mayer, a choir singer, of 122-67 134th Street, began hiccoughing 42 days ago, and despite consultation with a dozen doctors, no treatment could make her stop. Miss Mayer lost 43 pounds during the ordeal, and weighed just 67 pounds when Dr. Lester Samuels decided that surgery was the only remaining option. Before the surgery, Miss Mayer's hiccoughs had increased in frequency to once a second.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_8__1941_.jpg

(Hold that phone the right way now!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_8__1941_(1).jpg
(Jerry Colonna -- ON ICE? How can ANYONE not go see that????)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_8__1941_(2).jpg

(From what we've seen of the General's competence, he is hardly one to be making jokes.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_8__1941_(3).jpg
("'Ja bring home t'papeh?" asks Sally. "Uhhhh," uhhhhs Joe. "No.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_8__1941_(4).jpg

(No comment.)

Burgess Meredith will be the featured guest tonight on the Eddie Cantor program over WEAF. He'll play both "Tom" and "Dick," with Harry Von Zell as "Harry," in a sketch parodying Mr. Meredith's recent film success. Mr. Cantor will play the Ginger Rogers role.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_8__1941_(5).jpg
(Again with Boody's sick fantasy life.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_8__1941_(6).jpg
(Colonel George B. Bungle is a man of faith.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_8__1941_(7).jpg

("Connie Barclay, Secret Operative No. 13.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_8__1941_(8).jpg
(See, Dan even has the same landlady!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_8__1941_.jpg
"And really dumb tattoos too, like that stuff you draw on your notebook cover when you're in 8-B."

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_8__1941_(1).jpg

Never mind the offers, did he collect on the bet?

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_8__1941_(2).jpg

You don't expect profundity in "Voice Of The People," so when it does come, it takes you a bit aback.

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_8__1941_(3).jpg
Look out below!

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_8__1941_(4).jpg
Everything Mr. Gray knows about Indians he learned that time he bought a pair of moccasins at a roadside stand. Little did he realize they were really Italians.

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_8__1941_(5).jpg

Dude in panel one wears the look of a man who knows something he wishes he didn't.

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_8__1941_(6).jpg

Do you get the feeling Mr. King has been spending a lot of time lately in doctors' offices? Hope he's OK.

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_8__1941_(7).jpg
Dollar-a-year man? Say hi to Wumple for us. (And don't you get the feeling this should be yesterday's strip and vice-versa?)

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_8__1941_(8).jpg

Sorry, there aren't that many best people in Covina.

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_8__1941_(9).jpg
Sen. Smeltleigh is obviously a friend of Sen. Wheeler.

...The bitter battle between the left and right wings of the American Labor Party took a new twist today with a hearing to be scheduled to determine exactly who is entitled to the ALP's nomination for Kings County Surrogate's Court on the November ballot. The ALP's Kings County Executive Committee, aligned with the party's right-wing faction, delivered to the Board of Elections certification for Robert H. Haskell, former corporation counsel to Mayor LaGuardia, as the party's official nominee for the Surrogate's Court, while the Kings County ALP Party Committee, controlled by the left-wing faction, submitted certification naming Special Sessions Justice William Stanley Miller as the nominee for that office. The actual winner of the primary election, Julius Bagley, aligned with the ALP left wing, vacated the nomination to accept a nomination to the Supreme Court, leading to the present dispute. At issue is control of the Surrogate's Court itself, a decision proclaimed by Mayor LaGuardia as "the chief issue facing Brooklyn voters" this year....

"Right wing of the American Labor Party." I get it, but it does sound oxymoronic.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_8__1941_(3).jpg ("'Ja bring home t'papeh?" asks Sally. "Uhhhh," uhhhhs Joe. "No.")...

It was Joe's only move, otherwise, radio-window-repair.

Separately, it is very hard to make the transition to "next year."

...Burgess Meredith will be the featured guest tonight on the Eddie Cantor program over WEAF. He'll play both "Tom" and "Dick," with Harry Von Zell as "Harry," in a sketch parodying Mr. Meredith's recent film success. Mr. Cantor will play the Ginger Rogers role....

Almost quietly, Meredith had an incredible career spanning seven decades, with some very memorable roles and movies.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_8__1941_(5).jpg (Again with Boody's sick fantasy life.)...

No kidding, I feel like we shouldn't even be seeing this as it's so obviously private.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_8__1941_(6).jpg (Colonel George B. Bungle is a man of faith.)...

Yet, sadly, this time it will be justified and Jo will be the one eating crow. Life just isn't fair.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_8__1941_(7).jpg
("Connie Barclay, Secret Operative No. 13.")...

What do you think, Kleek is going to drop explosives on the factory from the kites and the can of sand the other day was a test/dry run?

...[ Daily_News_Wed__Oct_8__1941_.jpg "And really dumb tattoos too, like that stuff you draw on your notebook cover when you're in 8-B."....

"Jakie was tattooed from head to food." Um, er, uh, even on, well, IT?

Of course Wallis lies about her age.

...[ Daily_News_Wed__Oct_8__1941_(5).jpg
Dude in panel one wears the look of a man who knows something he wishes he didn't.....

Agreed. I continue to marvel at Caniff's story telling ability in the comic-strip construct. His dialogue and illustrations are incredible. That shot of a prostrate Raven in panel two is powerful.

... Daily_News_Wed__Oct_8__1941_(7).jpg Dollar-a-year man? Say hi to Wumple for us. (And don't you get the feeling this should be yesterday's strip and vice-versa?)....

I think you're spot on, it appears they accidentally flipped the days.

Last edited:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Miss Leonore Lemmon is quite attractive.

Terry's first aid knowledge is impressive. The boys have their hands full and Raven might not survive.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_9__1941_.jpg

A 27-year-old welder is fighting for his life and a 24-year-old Bushwick woman faces charges in his shooting last night in the hallway of her Myrtle Avenue building. Police say Miss Mary Centorino shot Gus Scaletta, a worker at the Brooklyn Navy Yard, twice in the abdomen and once in the arm after he told her he was breaking off their engagement because he had found "another girl." Miss Centorino, a worker in a cork factory, was found by police from the Wilson Avenue precinct sobbing at the scene of the shooting, cradling Scaletta's head in her lap. "We'd been keeping company for five years," she explained under questioning, "but he took my ring back four months ago and said he'd found another girl. He said he was going to disgrace me and I had to shoot him. He said he didn't love me anymore and said he was going to go to my place and get me fired." Scaletta was taken to Kings County Hospital where he received a blood transfusion, and asked police to "please don't be too hard on her. I won't talk against her."

At 6 AM this morning "invaders" swooped down on New York City and other sections of the northeastern seabord, as "squadron after squadron" of enemy bombers ranged over the area, and fighting men of the First Army and the First Air Force braced to meet them, with 40,000 volunteer air raid spotters on duty to provide assistance. It was all a training exercise, testing the new defense facilities across ten states, including metropolitan New York's vast information center established in a secret location in the city, and will continue thru October 16th.

German armed forces today are claimed to have smashed the entire Moscow line, completing the destruction of the Red Army in what Adolf Hitler described as "the last great decisive battle of this year," ending "Britain's dream of a war on two fronts" and, it is asserted, trapping over a million Russian troops in the central battlefront.

Moscow reports today that the Red Army has halted powerful German drives on the Soviet capital, in a battle of "unimaginable scale and ferocity," with Soviet troops having fended off a German attack on Vyazma, 130 miles southwest of Moscow, and it is stated that Nazi forces have also been stopped in their attempts to drive toward the capital from Orel along the Kharkov-Moscow Railroad. Reports also state that German parachutists dropped over the Vyazma front have been "wiped out."

The General New York Union Council, generally seen as comprising the left wing of the CIO in the city, today threw its full support behind the campaign to reelect Mayor LaGuardia. The announcement came on the heels of a speech by the Mayor last night before representatives of the right wing of the American Labor Party in which he repudiated Communist support in the upcoming election, and declared "no Communist will find any comfort from me."

The entertainment world today is mourning the death of Helen Morgan, legendary stage star of the Roaring Twenties, who died last night in a small Chicago hotel room after remaining in a coma since September 30th, and after undergoing an operation for severe liver and kidney ailments. The sad-voiced torch singer, renowned for her speakeasy performances atop a piano, and for her stage triumphs in "Show Boat" and other Broadway hits, failed to revive following the surgery despite receiving a total of 13 blood transfusions. Her singing was once termed "a composite of all the ruined women of the world."

A 56-year-old Gowanus man will be held without bail pending indictment by a grand jury on a charge of felonious assault after allegedly knifing a neighbor in a dispute over the behavior of a turkey. Gelardo Scappa of 112 2nd Street is accused of slashing his next-door neighbor Joseph Plumeri because, as Scappa contended during his arraignment in Felony Court, Plumeri wouldn't stop annoying the turkey by chasing it around the yard and causing it to lose weight. Plumeri, who required fourteen stitches to close a knife wound in his hand, disputed Scappa's account, claiming that it was Scappa who was always annoying him.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_9__1941_(1).jpg
(It's gonna be a long winter.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_9__1941_(2).jpg
(Surreal Ballet. And the Three Stooges at the Flatbush. Isn't it sorta the same thing?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_9__1941_(3).jpg

(Yes, she has been selected by Bohack, and you're all going to be killed and eaten. What a dark commentary on the philosophy of aspirationalism.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_9__1941_(4).jpg

(It's those subtle between-the-lines shadings that really make a fine business letter.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_9__1941_(5).jpg

(Yeah, well, Pee Wee has still got to learn to hit, but yeah, maybe ten years. Or fifteen. Or more.)

"The March of Time" is back on the air tonight over WJZ, returning after a two-year layoff with its unique form of dramatizing the week's news. But along with the usual reenactments by actors, the new season will also attempt to probe deeper into the background of the headlines in an attempt to "provide a more comprehensive and integrated treatment of history-making events."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_9__1941_(6).jpg
(Ohhhhh, Sparky. Shouldn't your cosmic rays be wearing off about now?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_9__1941_(7).jpg
(You do have to wonder, sometimes, what goes on inside Peggy's head. Or maybe she's just learned to switch it all off. That must be a nice thing to be able to do.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_9__1941_(8).jpg

(And where have we heard *this* before?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_9__1941_(9).jpg
(C'mon, Veeds, it's October. Wouldn't a nice corduroy bathrobe be more comfortable?)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_9__1941_.jpg
I'm sure Westbrook Pegler will make for an interesting witness, if the lawyer can manage to get a word in.

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_9__1941_(2).jpg

I dunno, how can you claim a title like that without a sanctioned competition?

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_9__1941_(3).jpg

"Really? Well I'll be! That's sure a new one on me!"

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_9__1941_(4).jpg

"That punk Slagg?" YOU JUST SEALED YOUR FATE!

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_9__1941_(5).jpg

"Hey Sal," says Joe. "R'membeh when we wennon'at one atta Woil's Faieh, an' ya hat blew off?" Sally blinks. "IFFAT CASEY HADNA BLOWED 'AT T'OID GAME AFFA FITZ GOT HOIT, IT WOULNA MATTEH'D IF MICKEY DROPP'TAT BAWL!" "Huh?" replies Joe. "Y'meannat hat I got at Namm's?" says Sally. "Jeez, I know, I loved'at hat."

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_9__1941_(6).jpg
Dude is not a stoic man.

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_9__1941_(7).jpg

"Love's bright sunshine dries the tears of this sad old world." Ahhhh, Bimbo, it's great to have you back.

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_9__1941_(8).jpg
"Why, I even have a good friend in that town. Bobble's his name, maybe you know him? Wilmer Bobble?"

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_9__1941_(9).jpg

Slow news day?

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_9__1941_(10).jpg
Moon used to be a prizefighter, and while I don't know much about the mechanics of boxing, I'd think the trajectory of that particular blow might suggest that he wasn't a particularly good one.

View attachment 367858 ...A 56-year-old Gowanus man will be held without bail pending indictment by a grand jury on a charge of felonious assault after allegedly knifing a neighbor in a dispute over the behavior of a turkey. Gelardo Scappa of 112 2nd Street is accused of slashing his next-door neighbor Joseph Plumeri because, as Scappa contended during his arraignment in Felony Court, Plumeri wouldn't stop annoying the turkey by chasing it around the yard and causing it to lose weight. Plumeri, who required fourteen stitches to close a knife wound in his hand, disputed Scappa's account, claiming that it was Scappa who was always annoying him....

The heartbreaking story of the woman who shot her fiancé when he broke off the engagement, I get; this nonsense over a turkey is too stupid for words. Even Page Four wouldn't deign to cover it.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_9__1941_(2).jpg (Surreal Ballet. And the Three Stooges at the Flatbush. Isn't it sorta the same thing?)...

"You're my husband, but I hate you." Heck, even if they hadn't identified the movie or actress, any regular moviegoer would have guessed one of the following actresses:

If said with hate: Joan Crawford
If said with disdain: Bette Davis
If said with mirthful sarcasm: Ann Sheridan
If never said by her once in her life: June Allyson

P.S. "Little Foxes" is an outstanding movie.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_9__1941_(3).jpg
(Yes, she has been selected by Bohack, and you're all going to be killed and eaten. What a dark commentary on the philosophy of aspirationalism.)...

A similar cognitive dissonance will soon take place with our annual lauding of the Turkey - pictures of happy turkeys running wild, etc. - as we head toward Thanksgiving.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_9__1941_(9).jpg (C'mon, Veeds, it's October. Wouldn't a nice corduroy bathrobe be more comfortable?)

We joke about these "provocative" comic-strip illustrations today and they're tame versus what we now live with all the time and everywhere in media, but it's clear there was a soft-porn element to comics back then. It's not an accident that all these scantily clad women keep popping up in these strips.

... Daily_News_Thu__Oct_9__1941_.jpg I'm sure Westbrook Pegler will make for an interesting witness, if the lawyer can manage to get a word in....

Browne and Bioff sound guilty as heck. Not only did they cheat the studios, but they cheated every union employee. B & B should have been using their union leverage with the studios to legally negotiate a better contract for the workers not to enrich themselves. What scumbags.

... Daily_News_Thu__Oct_9__1941_(5).jpg ]
"Hey Sal," says Joe. "R'membeh when we wennon'at one atta Woil's Faieh, an' ya hat blew off?" Sally blinks. "IFFAT CASEY HADNA BLOWED 'AT T'OID GAME AFFA FITZ GOT HOIT, IT WOULNA MATTEH'D IF MICKEY DROPP'TAT BAWL!" "Huh?" replies Joe. "Y'meannat hat I got at Namm's?" says Sally. "Jeez, I know, I loved'at hat."...

I understand Sally, I understand. My brain's been doing the same.

...[ Daily_News_Thu__Oct_9__1941_(6).jpg Dude is not a stoic man.....

This is so impressive. Gould does all his over-the-top violence and gross stuff, but Caniff has us right in the middle of real adult drama that you feel.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Caniff's pencil has been sufficiently sharpened so as to erasure several strip figures,
and it is reasonable to assume that this tone applies to principals, in this instance
Raven, whose injuries and attendant cirumstance appear mortal. Caniff's allowance for
morphine stretches credulity while a compound fracture of the tibia whether caused by bullet,
shrapnel, or fall risks infection and sepsis.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
The heartbreaking story of the woman who shot her fiancé when he broke off the engagement....

Truly pulls heartstrings, however, as recounted by the young lady, this tale unfolded over time,
which removes the legal defense of passion for deliberate intent premeditation prosecution.

It is somewhat surprising, the amount of ink consumed in yesterday's press over male-female
issues be it marital, extramarital, pregame warmups, or extra innings.
...and that story about the girl unknowingly marrying a female....:oops:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
President Roosevelt criticized the nation today for permitting conditions to exist that have left half its youth physically unfit for military service, and ordered the establishment of a new Federal program to "salvage" for active duty more than 200,000 selectees who were rejected for medical reasons. The program will authorize the Federal Government to pay for necessary treatment by physicians or dentists that would clear those selectees for service. The President noted that approximately half of all men drafted since conscription began a year ago have been rejected due to medical, mental, or educational deficiencies, and Brig. Gen. Lewis C. Hershey, director of Selective Service, in a report to the White House declared that at least 200,000 men were rejected on the basis of conditions that could easily be corrected if they could afford the necessary medical or dental treatment. Among the conditions authorized for treatment under the new program are venereal diseases, operable hernias, deficiencies in vision, missing or diseased teeth, and similar minor conditions which, if corrected, would leave a man fit for military duty. The President anticipated that most men eligible under the program would be willing to accept free treatment for their deficiencies, but in the case of "recalcitrance," the President suggested they might be inducted anyway and then treated under military orders.

Russian reserve forces are reported hastening to the central front today to prevent the jaws of a giant German military trap from closing upon the defenders of Moscow. Reports today in the Soviet press stated that Russian armies had "frustrated the German encirclement operations, or had fought their way out of enemy traps." On the Leningrad front, the daily newspaper Pravda reported today that Russian counterattacks have intensified, and called upon the city's civilian population to join with the Red Army in defense of their home.

Seven thousand employees of the Robins Drydock Company, and 500 more at smaller Brooklyn shipyards, walked off the job today to protest the employment of six workers who had refused to join the International Union of Marine and Shipbuilding Workers of America, CIO. Union officials stressed, however, that the action is not a formal strike, and no picket lines have been deployed. Most of the workers who walked out are welders and riveters, with maintenance workers remaining on the job. There is no closed-shop contract at Robins, and employees acknowledged that, while the company may have the right to hire non-union workers, so too do the employees have the right to refuse to work with them.

A 47-year-old World War veteran is in custody on arson charges after confessing to police he set a series of fires in Bushwick to "ease the pains in his head." Claude Hall of 1256 Gates Avenue was arrested after setting fire to six buildings within a single square-mile area early this morning, sending 38 families into the streets. Police say he traveled around the neighborhood igniting piles of rubbish in cellars, creating much smoke but little serious damage. No major injuries were reported, although two firemen were treated after collapsing from the smoke.

Police and the District Attorney's office are investigating a mysterious ambush this morning outside a chain restaurant in Park Slope that left a patrolman and his assailant wounded. Patrolman Thomas Walsh was shot in the left side by 22-year-old Joseph Chipman, who accosted the policeman as he emerged from the restaurant at 315 9th Street, wrestled his gun away, and shot him. The struggle attracted the attention of Patrolman Joseph Sullivan of the Burglary Squad, who drew his own revolver and shot Chipman. The assailant is in critical condition at Methodist Hospital. Patrolman Walsh's wound was not serious.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Oct_10__1941_.jpg

(Post-season baseball withdrawal is in full swing. All Dodger news items gratefully accepted.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_10__1941_(2).jpg

("I'll have a Doc Brady Liver Cocktail please." "Listen, we serve hard drinks for men who want to get drunk fast, and we don't need no characters around here to give the place atmosphere." "All right, just the raw liver then. Perhaps with a sprig of parsley.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_10__1941_(3).jpg

(Mrs. Earle is the first woman elected to the New York City Council, is a powerful figure in the City Fusion Party, and is one of Mayor LaGuardia's most valued allies.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_10__1941_(4).jpg
(Ah, the Hotel New Yorker, outside of which I stood one night in the rain with a broken toe, trying to hail a cab. If Benny'd been playing the Terrace Room, I'd have waited inside.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_10__1941_(5).jpg

(Didn't take long for Mr. Roosevelt to find a job for that gorilla the Free French sent.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_10__1941_(6).jpg
(The people of Brooklyn want to take up a collection to make up the difference between the winning and losing World Series money for the players. Name another city and another team, in any sport, ever, where that would happen.)

Tomorrow's a big day in schoolboy football, with a slate of 17 games headed by the annual Erasmus Hall-James Madison tilt at Ebbets Field. Last year, in the first high school football game ever played under the lights in Brooklyn, Madison drubbed the buff-and-blue, 16-0. Erasmus has sworn vengeance this year, and the fur, as they say, is expected to fly.

("We goin?" asks Joe. "Ebbets Feel?" murmurs Sally. "Too soon.")

Errol Flynn swashbuckles his way onto the Kate Smith Hour tonight at 8 over WABC. He'll play, for him, a restrained role as Revolutionary martyr Nathan Hale, and will not, it is to be assumed, punch any columnists who may be in the studio audience.

Dodger favorite Fred Fitzsimmons is on the air tonight with Howard Lindsey at 9:15 PM over WOR, for an interview with the author of "Life With Father" on the "America's Famous Fathers" program.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_10__1941_(7).jpg

(Sparky has the attention span of a caffeinated rabbit.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_10__1941_(8).jpg

(Well, all right, steam it open.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_10__1941_(9).jpg
(Mary can move pretty quick when she wants to.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_10__1941_(10).jpg

(Dan sings the role of the villainous baritone opposite Veeda's scheming contralto. I guess that leaves Irwin as the heroic tenor and Kay as the wronged soprano.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_10__1941_.jpg
Yeah, it's too bad for Gus, getting shot and all, but let's face it, kid -- he's a schmuck and you're better off without him. And I'm sure Mr. and Mrs. Buncombe Bob will be very happy together.

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_10__1941_(1).jpg

The real estate industry won't like this, but too bad.

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_10__1941_(2).jpg

All I saw at first was the headline, so the image that came to mind was a moose standing on a ledge on a four-story in Bay Ridge, as the cops and firemen fumble with one of those net things, and a crowd of rubberneckers start yelling JUMP! JUMP!

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_10__1941_(3).jpg
Is it just me, or does the Chief here look a lot like Casey Stengel?

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_10__1941_(4).jpg
Aw, that ride's for babies. Get him on the Zipper.

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_10__1941_(5).jpg
It's kinda sweet that Bim well knows that Andy is a gibbering idiot, but still finds humor in his antics. And jeez, Gus, you really do know my brother in person, don't you?

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_10__1941_(6).jpg
Unless Hu Shee parachutes into the scene with a box of supplies and a medical degree, it really doesn't look like there's any way out of this.

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_10__1941_(7).jpg
Either Mr. King or someone close to him has actually worked in a medical office.

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_10__1941_(8).jpg

Moon's done more crimefighting in three panels here than Sparky's done in the past year.

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_10__1941_(9).jpg
Hey, just led Dad read the funnies in peace.

...Tomorrow's a big day in schoolboy football, with a slate of 17 games headed by the annual Erasmus Hall-James Madison tilt at Ebbets Field. Last year, in the first high school football game ever played under the lights in Brooklyn, Madison drubbed the buff-and-blue, 16-0. Erasmus has sworn vengeance this year, and the fur, as they say, is expected to fly.

("We goin?" asks Joe. "Ebbets Feel?" murmurs Sally. "Too soon.")...

These stadiums take on personalities. It was a big ugly uninspiring bowl, but after the Giants won their first Super Bowl title in "Giant Stadium" in the Meadowlands - where I also saw Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band and the Rolling Stones play at different times - I always felt something good about that place. When I'd drive by on the turnpike on the way to somewhere else and see the stadium a few hundred yards off in the distance (the stadium really was ugly as is the Meadowlands), I'd get a lift. Stupid, but true.

...Errol Flynn swashbuckles his way onto the Kate Smith Hour tonight at 8 over WABC. He'll play, for him, a restrained role as Revolutionary martyr Nathan Hale, and will not, it is to be assumed, punch any columnists who may be in the studio audience.

Dodger favorite Fred Fitzsimmons is on the air tonight with Howard Lindsey at 9:15 PM over WOR, for an interview with the author of "Life With Father" on the "America's Famous Fathers" program....

Assuming Flynn's show runs for an hour, that gives you fifteen minutes for a bathroom break and still have time bring out a bowl of ice cream before Freddie comes on. That's a reasonably good night of entertainment.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_10__1941_(8).jpg
(Well, all right, steam it open.)...

She's insane, but she can still deliver a line: "Is that why you came upstairs four at a time? Because that fake left town," and "This was addressed in big bold script, as though the writer was four of the men who signed the Declaration of Independence."

"Steam it open," these are the Bungles, just tear the thing open and figure out what you'll tell Peggie later (assuming, you don't toss it out and never show it to her).

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_10__1941_(10).jpg
(Dan sings the role of the villainous baritone opposite Veeda's scheming contralto. I guess that leaves Irwin as the heroic tenor and Kay as the wronged soprano.)

Spot on as "Dan Dunn" has always best been understood as opera.

.. Daily_News_Fri__Oct_10__1941_.jpg Yeah, it's too bad for Gus, getting shot and all, but let's face it, kid -- he's a schmuck and you're better off without him. And I'm sure Mr. and Mrs. Buncombe Bob will be very happy together. ....

There really is someone who owns and wears the Hope Diamond; it's not just an expression, how 'bout that? "For something new, the bride brought herself to the wedding." Senator Reynolds was showing around a copy of "Harold Teen" he'd torn out of the paper recently, while saying to anyone who would listen, "See, I'm not really that old."

...[ Daily_News_Fri__Oct_10__1941_(2).jpg
All I saw at first was the headline, so the image that came to mind was a moose standing on a ledge on a four-story in Bay Ridge, as the cops and firemen fumble with one of those net things, and a crowd of rubberneckers start yelling JUMP! JUMP!...

I thought it was in Brooklyn, too, when I saw the headline and figured the start of the article would read: "A moose, distressed over the loss in the World Series by his beloved Dodgers, threatened to take his own life today. His sister says he's been depressed ever since Owen missed the pitch and the family was becoming concerned...."

... Daily_News_Fri__Oct_10__1941_(6).jpg Unless Hu Shee parachutes into the scene with a box of supplies and a medical degree, it really doesn't look like there's any way out of this.....

I'm sorry, I didn't hear anything you said after "Hu Shee." Kidding aside, how cool would it be if she came to the rescue? Pat is also still out there.

Dude's "it's all might fault" thing is stupid and self-centered - Raven drove this entire event herself and dragged these guys along. I hope she makes it, but it isn't Dude's fault what happened to her.

...[ Daily_News_Fri__Oct_10__1941_(9).jpg Hey, just led Dad read the funnies in peace.

That's unfair to Josie, she was tech-nic-nee correct. At most, all she deserved was a withering look.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Morphine causes a stupor type withdrawl, sepsis spreads infection to other organs,
shock and cardiac arrest follow. Raven has a probable six to eight hours until onset.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Soviet army newspaper Red Star today called for immediate coordination and activation of British and Russian forces for a mass blow against Germany, as special dispatches acknowledged that the Red Army is in "a grave situation on three battlefronts" in the face of ferocious German drives. It was admitted that Soviet forces had been unable to halt a Nazi advance north of Orel, 210 miles south of Moscow, that the situation in the Bryansk-Vyazma zone is serious, and that on the sea of Azov, the Red Army is fighting a battle of life or death. A special dispatch in the Soviet daily newspaper Pravda stated "the blows of our airplanes are lowering the fighting strength of new enemy regiments, but the tremendous loss of men and machines has not halted the advance of the German columns that broke thru. Our troops are fighting bravely and self-sacrificingly."

German sources today claimed that Nazi troops have advanced to the city of Tula, 100 miles southwest of Moscow, to Taganrog, only 40 miles from the Ukrainian industrial city of Rostov, and to an unspecified point beyond the defenses of Crimea, where German forces are said to have broken thru the Russian lines. Official spokesmen declined to confirm these reports, but left the impression that such confirmation may be expected soon from the German High Command.

In Gary, Indiana workers at the Carnegie-Illinois Sheet and Tin Mill walked off the job today. Members of the CIO Steel Workers Organizing Committee stopped short of announcing a formal strike, but stewards were notified to call out the workers this morning, and union men began leaving the plant at once. The strike follows a stoppage at the Carnegie-Illinois works in South Chicago, where six of eleven blast furnaces had to be shut down after "a number of men" failed to report for work.

A telegram to British Prime Minister Winston Churchill sent by workers at two large engineering factories in the English midlands demands that steps be taken at once to open a Western front against Germany in order to relieve pressure against Russia. According to the London Daily Mirror the telegrams were part of a nationwide campaign organized to demand a second front.

A citizen army surging over the streets of Brooklyn and Queens today drove back an "enemy" force which had captured and held Fort Tilden on the Rockaway peninsula. The mock invasion, participated in by Home Guards, veterans of the war of '18, and civilian air raid wardens with white brassards on their arms, saw a "suicide force" of 1500 men from Fort Hancock routed, although imaginary bombardment was said to have left New York City a "mass of ruins." Actual casualties were limited to one private and one general, both of whom reported sprained ankles.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Oct_11__1941_.jpg

(Poor Mr. Schroth. He just can't win.)

American citizens desiring to leave Japan will be brought back to the United States by three Japanese ships coming here to evacuate 2000 Japanese nationals from this country. American, British and Canadian embassies are said to be advising their citizens still in Japan for business or other reasons to take advantage of this opportunity to return home. Among the American nationals to be taken out of Japan by the three ships will be a number of American-born Japanese.

The 6000 men who walked off the job at the Robins Dry Dock and Repair Company yesterday will return to work on Tuesday according to officials of Local 39 of the Industrial Union of Marine and Shipbuilding Workers CIO. The walkout was described by officials as a "demonstration of union strength" in an effort to induce the company to accept a closed shop contract. No serious delay of work on 17 Navy vessels undergoing repair and renovation at the yard will result from the walkout.

The High Commissioner of Baseball is hospitalized today in Petoskey, Michigan "with a severe cold." Judge Kenesaw Mountain Landis became ill while on a fishing trip to his cottage at Burt Lake.

Today is the deadline for Brooklyn voters to register for the November 4th election, with all registration points open from 7:30 AM to 10:30 PM. Do your duty as a citizen to protect your right to vote. If you are unsure of your local registration point, contact the Board of Elections or your nearest police station.

A 36-year-old Puerto Rican man faces homicide charges after admitting that he fatally attacked his wife in their Bushwick home last Thursday while under the influence of marihuana. Concepcion Lopez and his wife Marie, aged 31, were brewing and drinking marihuana tea when they began to argue, and when Mrs. Lopez, in the words of her husband "wouldn't stop nagging," he struck her first with a stick and then with a lug wrench, breaking a leg and several ribs, and finally stabbed her several times in the face. Mrs. Lopez was later found dead in her bed by Lopez's mother, after someone had knocked on the door of her home to tell her that "something had happened" to her daughter-in-law. Police picked up Lopez later that morning at his mother's home.

A 45-year-old man who went on an alcoholic rampage at a Brooklyn Heights firehouse last night faces felonious assault charges. Anthony Murray of 93 Pineapple Street knocked at the door of Engine Company 204, 74 Middagh Street, yesterday and when fireman Anniello Esposito answered, Murray said "come on!" and hit the fireman over the head with a quart-size beer bottle. Two other firemen came to the aid of their comrade, and Murray attacked them with his fists. The call bell was sounded, and eight more firemen came down the pole and finally overpowered Murray, tying him up with rope until police arrived. The beer bottle broke when it struck Esposito's head, and the fireman required nine stitches to close the wound.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Oct_11__1941_.jpg

(Oh, and lay off the huckleberries.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Oct_11__1941_(2).jpg

(Those who live at the turning point of history rarely realize it, but in 1941 at least some did.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Oct_11__1941_(1).jpg

(Somebody didn't see that item yesterday banning new civilian projects till after the war.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Oct_11__1941_(3).jpg

("Stompin' At The Stadium!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Oct_11__1941_(4).jpg

(I can understand wanting Vaughan, because Cookie and Pee Wee are both draft bait. But with an outfield of Medwick, Reiser, and Walker, who needs Litwhiler? And let's just say, for the record that if you were trying to think up a name for an imaginary pro football player in 1941, you'd have to be really disappointed that "Pug Manders" is already taken.)

Dixie Walker will not suit up for the Bushwicks tomorrow after all, with Judge Landis having ruled that he and other players from the recent World Series are not allowed to participate in post-season semipro games. The ruling from the Commissioner's office also bars any player who was on a World Series roster from participating in post-season barnstorming tours.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Oct_11__1941_(5).jpg

(Ah, the gang's all here. Except the dog. And the turtle. What ever happened to the turtle, anyway?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Oct_11__1941_(6).jpg

(A Fine Romance, With No Kisses...)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Oct_11__1941_(7).jpg

(HOPE THEY GET THERE IN TIME! But seriously, is that a neat kite or what? How do you make one of those? Can't we turn tomorrow's Sunday page into "LEW KLEEK'S KITE KORNER?" You know, like "Cappy Dick" used to have?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Oct_11__1941_(8).jpg
("Um, couldja write that down? I always get confused following directions.")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_11__1941_.jpg
HARRIET HOLDER RITTENHOUSE FRENCH! HARRIET HOLDER RITTENHOUSE FRENCH! HARRIET HOLDER RITTENHOUSE FRENCH!

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_11__1941_(1).jpg

"Insofar as a naked person in Astoria would occasion comment..." Yeah, whattaya think this is, Valley Stream?

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_11__1941_(2).jpg

Aw, Jolly Bill Steinke! A staunch member of the New York radio crowd who'd come up to Maine to spend their summers. And, confidentially to Lester Cowan, there's a lotta people out there who want to punch you in the nose.

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_11__1941_(3).jpg

"He's great he's great, Bill Slagg is great, he's great he's great, Bill Slagg is great..." (to the tune of the William Tell Overture.)

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_11__1941_(4).jpg

Well, at least you won't be rolled up in a rug with your ears frozen off and bees shoved in your face.

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_11__1941_(5).jpg

How Ya Gonna Keep 'Em Down On The Farm?

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_11__1941_(6).jpg
That night on the ledge seems a long time ago.

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_11__1941_(7).jpg

Yeah, Andy's just the type to have one of his own headshots on his living-room wall.

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_11__1941_(8).jpg

Word to the wise, toots -- don't cheese off the help.

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_11__1941_(9).jpg

A guy who can get elected Senator under an assumed name is probably SMART ENOUGH TO ESCAPE FROM AN UNGUARDED CAR.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
If Raven should expire Dude might lose it all, suffering a breakdown, which would leave
Terry all the more isolated within the strip domain. Caniff could pull a slight of hand here but
it seems as though Dude may prove suicidal should he lose Raven. Or perhaps just wander off
into the Chinese wilderness, abandoning Terry to his own fate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto