Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Jan_30__1942_.jpg (Not much of a birthday card, but in times like these you have to take what you can get...)...

Interesting that Hitler accepted responsibility for Russia's advancement as he rarely accepted blame for anything.

...In Los Angeles, testimony in the murder trial of gangland figure Benjamin "Bugsy" Siegel revealed today that film actor George Raft had interceded in Siegel's defense. In the testimony of film studio librarian Peggy Schwartz, the witness declared that Raft had telephoned her to arrange a conference with Siegel's attorney concerning her upcoming testimony on behalf of the State. Prosecution counsel acknowledged that Raft's actions were legal. Siegel, on trial for the murder of gangster Harry Greenberg to silence him as a potential witness against the Brooklyn Murder for Money Gang, grew up as a close friend of Raft in Manhattan's Hell's Kitchen neighborhood....

The Raft Hollywood-mob connection couldn't be more 1930s/40s nor would it sell as fiction - it's only believable because it's true.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Jan_30__1942_(3).jpg
("It ain't whatcha know...")...

Can't say I thought about it prior to today, but don't remember seeing the phrase "office politics" used in the '40s before. Clearly it dates at least that far back.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Jan_30__1942_(5).jpg
(After a morning of shoveling-out, I wish someone would charge ME with cosmic rays.)...

Or send you a check for $5,000,000 for your efforts.

...[ Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Jan_30__1942_(8).jpg ("But first -- would you care to join me in a sprig of parsley? It's part of my new vegetarian diet! Very cleansing!")

I had no doubt the Germans would quickly catch on to what Dan was doing, but "Gory" is not the one who'd have done it.

Do you think Marsh will soon switch to using real names now that war has been declared?

... Chicago_Tribune_Fri__Jan_30__1942_(1).jpg
"Pinball? Hey, we'll get to it."....

I will go to my grave still amazed at the, to this day, massive success and popularity of the slot machine.

... Chicago_Tribune_Fri__Jan_30__1942_(2).jpg The last time Pat had dealings with the eminent Mr. Sandhurst, he almost ended up in prison. The stakes are higher now.....

Merrily: "Do you and my Daddy have old times, too, Mr. Ryan."
Pat Ryan: "Your Daddy and I share a few things in common."
Normandie: "Patrick Ryan!"

... Chicago_Tribune_Fri__Jan_30__1942_(9).jpg Sometimes it's hard to figure who's trolling whom.

Gray's nailing the kid's mannerisms.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I will go to my grave still amazed at the, to this day, massive success and popularity of the slot machine.

Last time in Vegas, I noticed video poker slot stealing while walking through the Venetian's lobby.
One-armed bandits still held a high hand crowd wise but evidently the new game in town sparked interest.
'Racino' building at horsetracks further capitalize on the video concept with past races and poker,
but traditional dumbass slots remain mainstream idiot staple.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Love the Carl Sandburg references.

As a fun aside, Sandberg was one of the first members of the Civil War Round Table (Chicago). The group started when men with an interest in the subject would get in a new book title, read it, and then discuss it over dinner and beverages. It has evolved into a worldwide movement.

The Chicago org labors on: I was a member for a number of years. Their annual battlefield tours alone are worth the price of membership. One important thing that I did learn from them: an individual can be a spellbinding writer, but a total bore as a speaker. And vice versa. A few rare individuals can combine both skills (such as Shelby Foote).

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The battle for Malaya is over, and the battle for Singapore has begun. British Empire forces, beaten back by an overwhelming Japanese offensive, abandoned the mainland of Malaya today and Singapore, with a garrison of British, Australian, and Indian troops , and 750,000 civilians, is under siege by a merciless foe. Imperial defense forces, aided by navy men and ground personnel of the Royal Air Force, took up defense positions at the north end of the island for what is pledged to be a fight to the death.

American and Filipino forces today stood together, awaiting with "loyalty, courage, and resolution, a grand Japanese assault against the fox holes of Batan and Corregidor Fortress. General Douglas MacArthur reported that Japanese Lt. General Marasharu Homma is moving up strong forces of fresh troops along the narrow Batan Peninsula front. At any moment it appeared that a major attack -- the fourth since the fall of Manila on January 2nd -- may burst along the jungle and mountain lines, which have held four weeks against heavy battering.

German submarines prowling the Atlantic Coast from Nova Scotia to Florida struck new blows today at the tanker fleet -- those oil-laden vessels so essential to the American war effort. The 6836-ton Socony-Vacuum Oil Company tanker Rochester became their latest victim when it was struck at an unrevealed time and place. The Navy's acknowledgement of the attack did not state whether the Rochester had been destroyed, but it was strongly suggested that the attack was fatal by the fact that five minutes after the ship was hit, it was abandoned by its crew. An undisclosed number of survivors was expected to be put ashore at Norfolk, Virginia later today.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jan_31__1942_.jpg

(And the first blue star goes up at Ebbets Field.)

In San Francisco, the 67-year-old father of the baseball-playing DiMaggio brothers has been barred from Fisherman's Wharf as an enemy alien. Giuseppe DiMaggio has raised a large family on the San Francisco waterfront, including brothers Joe, Vincent, and Dominic, supporting them thru his earnings as a fisherman, but as he remains a Italian citizen, he is now barred from the military defense zone covering the entire waterfront area. Approximately 1500 of the 2200 fishermen who embark from Fisherman's Wharf are affected by the ban.

An eight-year-old boy discovered wandering alone and confused at the Stillwell Avenue terminus of the BMT at Coney Island has been taken to the Brooklyn Children's Shelter at 105 Schermerhorn Street. The boy, described as three feet six inches tall, weighing 70 pounds, with blond hair, brown eyes, and a ruddy complexion, was found wearing a blue-grey mackinaw coat, blue trousers, brown shoes, and a blue and grey necktie. The boy speaks with a speech impediment, and has been asking for "Sally," whom police believe to be his sister.

A four-year-old infantile paralysis victim from Manhattan's Hell's Kitchen had lunch with President Roosevelt yesterday in Washington. The boy, identified only as "Gerry," proudly showed the President how he had learned to walk, with a few halting steps, without his crutches. Beaming for reporters, Gerry called Mr. Roosevelt "a nice man."

All automobiles registered in the United States must, as of tomorrow, under penalty of law, display a Federal Use Tax stamp. The first stamps, covering the remaining months of the 1941-42 tax year, cost $2.09, and may be purchased at any post office or from the Collector of Internal Revenue.

The Office of Price Administration today announced a Federal freeze on prices of all radio sets, electric phonographs, television sets, radio tubes, and radio parts, effective February 9th. Prices after that date must remain at no more than the highest net price prevailing on October 15, 1941. No new models radio or television receivers may be marketed after February 2nd, unless prices are approved by the OPA. Exempt are receivers manufactured for police or commercial use or for the armed forces, and automatic coin phonographs commonly known as "juke boxes."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jan_31__1942_(1).jpg

("Hah," hahs Sally. "Luxuriatin' in bed till six! I bet 'Ace' here neveh hadda baby!" "Or," ors Joe, with a glance at Stella curled under the stove, "a cat.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jan_31__1942_(2).jpg

(OK, that's funny.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jan_31__1942_(3).jpg

("Aw," says Sally. "She was nice. 'At time I got sent t't principal's office, she was very unnehstannin'." "Wait," says Joe, "you got sent ta t' office? Don't tell me, it was awl Kilgallen's fault." "Well," sniffs Sally, "it WAS. Yeah, I tripped her in gym class, but nobody woulda knowed if she hedna yelled!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jan_31__1942_(4).jpg
(The Yankees have no interest in Camilli, which of course means they are VERY INTERESTED IN CAMILLI.)

Babe Ruth packed up his old No. 3 Yankee flannels today at his Riverside Drive home, as he prepares to leave for Hollywood. The Big Bam will be on the Coast for several weeks in order to portray himself in Samuel Goldwyn's upcoming film on the life of Lou Gehrig. Gary Cooper will portray the Iron Horse, but despite testing for a role in the picture last year, Leo Durocher -- another former Gehrig teammate -- will not appear in the film.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jan_31__1942_(5).jpg
(Try as she might to create a sultry new image for herself, Wee Bonnie Baker will remain Wee Bonnie Baker for the rest of her life. And Dusty Fletcher is even now doing the comic drunk act that will, in 1946, be preserved on record as the monster novelty hit "Open The Door, Richard.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jan_31__1942_(6).jpg

("He's busy with Jones The Propaganda Broadcaster now, but if you'll leave your number at the desk we'll let you know when he has an opening.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jan_31__1942_(7).jpg
(I can't decide whether Gaboraz should be played by Leonid Kinskey or Lionel Stander.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jan_31__1942_(8).jpg

("I met this guy at the Newspaper Guild convention last year, name of Kent. Think I'll give him a call.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jan_31__1942_(9).jpg
("Funny, that's just what Herr Hess said...")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And from the city under the smoke, dust all over his mouth, laughing with white teeth, under the terrible burden of destiny...

Chicago_Tribune_Sat__Jan_31__1942_.jpg
G'wan, Neppy, stick it right up him...

Chicago_Tribune_Sat__Jan_31__1942_(1).jpg
"Just a moment, please," says the Doc. "I'm confused."

Chicago_Tribune_Sat__Jan_31__1942_(2).jpg
Well, he does have a point.

Chicago_Tribune_Sat__Jan_31__1942_(3).jpg
"Something, I don't know, all-encompassing. Something that's captured the whole world's attention. Something like an epic struggle, a clearcut battle of good versus evil. Something like -- I've got it! The Brooklyn Dodgers!"

Chicago_Tribune_Sat__Jan_31__1942_(4).jpg
"In fact, there's this girl from the neighborhood I'm sure you'd like. Her name's Trixie..."

Chicago_Tribune_Sat__Jan_31__1942_(5).jpg
He's felt the call of patriotism at last, and is going home to fight for King and Country. Definite officer material there.

Chicago_Tribune_Sat__Jan_31__1942_(6).jpg
Is it even legal to box against a guy with no chin?

Chicago_Tribune_Sat__Jan_31__1942_(7).jpg
It's a pity there's no role for Eugene Pallette in this story.

Chicago_Tribune_Sat__Jan_31__1942_(8).jpg
Yeah, Pat, you don't have to spell it out. We know exactly what you're saying.

Chicago_Tribune_Sat__Jan_31__1942_(9).jpg
Only married two weeks, and already hanging out drinking with low types.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Love the Carl Sandburg references.

As a fun aside, Sandberg was one of the first members of the Civil War Round Table (Chicago). The group started when men with an interest in the subject would get in a new book title, read it, and then discuss it over dinner and beverages. It has evolved into a worldwide movement.

The Chicago org labors on: I was a member for a number of years. Their annual battlefield tours alone are worth the price of membership. One important thing that I did learn from them: an individual can be a spellbinding writer, but a total bore as a speaker. And vice versa. A few rare individuals can combine both skills (such as Shelby Foote).

Shelby Foote cast his spell in Burns' acclaimed Civil War documentary. Interestingly, Foote somehow
earned a bad conduct discharge from the US Army during WWII; Captain, Field Artillery, subsequently
enlisted US Marine Corps to be a buck ass private rifleman.

Carl Sandberg enlisted Spanish-American War, nominated West Point from the regulars, classmate
of Uysseys Grant II and Douglas MacArthur, Class of 1903 only to flunk out. Returned home to
Illinois and enrolled Galesburg College. I believe he coined the quip, 'Come to Chicago a lamb,
go out on a meat hook.'

The battle for Malaya is over, and the battle for Singapore has begun. British Empire forces, beaten back by an overwhelming Japanese offensive, abandoned the mainland of Malaya today and Singapore, with a garrison of British, Australian, and Indian troops , and 750,000 civilians, is under siege by a merciless foe. Imperial defense forces, aided by navy men and ground personnel of the Royal Air Force, took up defense positions at the north end of the island for what is pledged to be a fight to the death.

American and Filipino forces today stood together, awaiting with "loyalty, courage, and resolution, a grand Japanese assault against the fox holes of Batan and Corregidor Fortress. General Douglas MacArthur reported that Japanese Lt. General Marasharu Homma is moving up strong forces of fresh troops along the narrow Batan Peninsula front. At any moment it appeared that a major attack -- the fourth since the fall of Manila on January 2nd -- may burst along the jungle and mountain lines, which have held four weeks against heavy battering.

German submarines prowling the Atlantic Coast from Nova Scotia to Florida struck new blows today at the tanker fleet -- those oil-laden vessels so essential to the American war effort. The 6836-ton Socony-Vacuum Oil Company tanker Rochester became their latest victim when it was struck at an unrevealed time and place. The Navy's acknowledgement of the attack did not state whether the Rochester had been destroyed, but it was strongly suggested that the attack was fatal by the fact that five minutes after the ship was hit, it was abandoned by its crew. An undisclosed number of survivors was expected to be put ashore at Norfolk, Virginia later today....

Up until now, the Eagle has been finding some positive war news, but not today. This edition had to be depressing as heck to its readers. I know how it turned out and it still depressed me reading it.

("Aw," says Sally. "She was nice. 'At time I got sent t't principal's office, she was very unnehstannin'." "Wait," says Joe, "you got sent ta t' office? Don't tell me, it was awl Kilgallen's fault." "Well," sniffs Sally, "it WAS. Yeah, I tripped her in gym class, but nobody woulda knowed if she hedna yelled!")...

Leonora must be keeping Sally up; she usually has a better cover story.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jan_31__1942_(7).jpg (I can't decide whether Gaboraz should be played by Leonid Kinskey or Lionel Stander.)...

Or Felix Bressart.

I've been following this story everyday and I'm not sure I know what's going on.

... Chicago_Tribune_Sat__Jan_31__1942_.jpg G'wan, Neppy, stick it right up him......

:)

...[ Chicago_Tribune_Sat__Jan_31__1942_(3).jpg "Something, I don't know, all-encompassing. Something that's captured the whole world's attention. Something like an epic struggle, a clearcut battle of good versus evil. Something like -- I've got it! The Brooklyn Dodgers!"....

It's possible the Dodgers are what drove her there in the first place. I know that picture with the arrow pointing to the dropped ball nearly did it to me.

... Chicago_Tribune_Sat__Jan_31__1942_(4).jpg "In fact, there's this girl from the neighborhood I'm sure you'd like. Her name's Trixie..."....

He's trying not to be too obvious about it, but he's still in there pitching.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
erday in Washington. The boy, identified only as "Gerry," proudly showed the President how he had learned to walk, with a few halting steps, without his crutches. Beaming for reporters, Gerry called Mr. Roosevelt "a nice man."

All automobiles registered in the United States must, as of tomorrow, under penalty of law, display a Federal Use Tax stamp. The first stamps, covering the remaining months of the 1941-42 tax year, cost $2.09, and may be purchased at any post office or from the Collector of Internal Revenue.

The Office of Price Administration today announced a Federal freeze on prices of all radio sets, electric phonographs, television sets, radio tubes, and radio parts, effective February 9th. Prices after that date must remain at no more than the highest net price prevailing on October 15, 1941. No new models radio or television receivers may be marketed after February 2nd, unless prices are approved by the OPA. Exempt are receivers manufactured for police or commercial use or for the armed forces, and automatic coin phonographs commonly known as "juke boxes."

View attachment 399222
("Hah," hahs Sally. "Luxuriatin' in bed till six! I bet 'Ace' here neveh hadda baby!" "Or," ors Joe, with a glance at Stella curled under the stove, "a cat.")

View attachment 399223
(OK, that's funny.)

View attachment 399224
("Aw," says Sally. "She was nice. 'At time I got sent t't principal's office, she was very unnehstannin'." "Wait," says Joe, "you got sent ta t' office? Don't tell me, it was awl Kilgallen's fr Gehrig teammate -- will not appear in the film.

(Try as she might to create a sultry new image for herself, Wee Bonnie Baker will remain Wee Bonnie Baker for the rest of her life. And Dusty Fletcher is even now doing the comic drunk act that will, in 1946, be preserved on record as the monster novelty hit "Open The Door, Richard.")

Renee, Sensational Strawberry Blonde will later cease being a blonde but will remain sensational.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Shelby Foote cast his spell in Burns' acclaimed Civil War documentary. Interestingly, Foote somehow
earned a bad conduct discharge from the US Army during WWII; Captain, Field Artillery, subsequently
enlisted US Marine Corps to be a buck ass private rifleman.

Carl Sandberg enlisted Spanish-American War, nominated West Point from the regulars, classmate
of Uysseys Grant II and Douglas MacArthur, Class of 1903 only to flunk out. Returned home to
Illinois and enrolled Galesburg College. I believe he coined the quip, 'Come to Chicago a lamb,
go out on a meat hook.'

Foote went AWOL to see a lady while stationed in Northern Ireland. During time of declared war, that's despicable conduct for a commissioned officer. The Marines must have been desperate during that wartime meat grinder.

Foote was also notorious for not giving autographs. I had Ed Bearss (former NPS chief historian and another star of that Ken Burns series) autograph each volume of his trilogy on the Vicksburg campaign. On one occasion he declared in his booming voice, "I'll be GLAD to autograph your book! I'm not some sonuvabitch named Shelby Foote!" When I commented that his was certainly a candid comment, he replied, "He doesn't realize that, without his readers, he's NOTHING as an author!"

Foote may have had the sugar magnolia raconteur charm, but Bearss was the real historian of the two. Terrific battlefield guide, Old Corps to his very fiber, and a warm-hearted friend. We lost him recently: he was well into his nineties and still going strong to the end.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Foote went AWOL to see a lady while stationed in Northern Ireland. During time of declared war, that's despicable conduct for a commissioned officer. The Marines must have been desperate during that wartime meat grinder.

I heard some academe literary mill floss about this. Talk about a million dollar wound.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Pat obviously has something more to chew on than a pipe stem, but his play here is strictly
small ball since the relationship is over, and Sandhurst won Normandie in marriage fair square.
The bat flip is dog done. Chicken claws, even Steven two-fingers law before claw won't change the score.
Then there is the matter of the Imperial Japanese Army. These two and hubbie have more pressing
matters to discuss present tense.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We were open Saturday morning because I had to be there to record the Met Opera for later rebroadcast. Three diehards showed up. I live in awe of the dedication of the hard-core opera fan.

The storm itself wasn't in the league of the one from 2013, where it took four of us to dig out the six and a half foot drift of snow blown up against the theatre door.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
We were open Saturday morning because I had to be there to record the Met Opera for later rebroadcast. Three diehards showed up. I live in awe of the dedication of the hard-core opera fan.

ARIA serious? Finnish diva Karita Matilla danced the Seven Veils for Strauss' Salome, however the Met
censored its broadcast citing 'family friendly' fare only which begs the question of operatic child abuse....
WHO brings kids to a Strauss performance? Toss in Wilde and even more concern raised.

And opera hard core are the most caustic crowd in town. When Anna Netrebko bailed out of Salome
two years ago, they all piled on her. I just bawled and had a good cry. Getting in touch with my soft
warm fuzzy feminine side so I can better relate my inner usual Mister Hyde-Chicago south side to
the outside world. And the Auditorium Theatre here edged out Tschikovsky's Nutcracker without
my permission too. If it ain't broke leave it the hell alone. ;):):D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Britain's battle-weary Imperials stood off the Japanese at point-blank range across the narrow strait guarding besieged Singapore Island last night, after giving up the Malaya mainland to a crushing enemy army. Singapore's defenders were mobilized to "hold this fortress until help can come -- as it assuredly will come." It was reported by the Nazi-controlled Paris radio, without confirmation from any source, that the Japanese have established a bridgehead on Singapore Island "according to reports just received from the Pacific." Authoritative sources in London declared that they doubt the Paris report.

General Douglas MacArthur's battle-grimed veterans of eight weeks' war stood firm last night against new Japanese thrusts against their fox hole and fortress positions at the entrance of Manila Bay. United States regulars and Filipino troop of various degrees of training are reported to seldom have had more than a few hours' respite from Japanese ground fire, bombing, and strafing.

Axis agents in East Coast ports may be tipping off submarines on the movement of American and Allied vessels in the North Atlantic, according to reports which last night reached Chairman Martin Dies of the House Un-American Activities Committee. Dies stated that he could not vouch for the accuracy of these reports, which assert that Axis agents are communicating with submarines by means of "flares and coded messages of an undisclosed nature," but he declared that the Committee will investigate the reports immediately. Rep. Dies stated that the German-American Bund remains active in several Eastern port cities which he did not name, and asserted that pro-Nazi activities have been carried on in some of these communities. Dies suggested that the Justice Department may take steps to ban enemy aliens from certain East Coast areas, as is already being done in the West. Such action, according to Dies, "might prove farsighted at this time."

Warning that an early attack on Pacific Coast shipping "in force" is a distinct possibility, headquarters of the 13th Naval District in Seattle yesterday called upon the entire Pacific slope to remain on high alert. The report called attention to the sighting of an enemy submarine directly off the California coast, but did not claim similar sightings off Washington or Oregon.

Some 13,000,000 men and boys of non-military age -- 18 and 19-year olds, and 45 to 64-year-olds inclusive -- will probably be required to register for Selective Service in April or May. The registration will be designed to give an overall diagram of the nation's non-military manpower, and is expected to be conducted as "a leisurely affair," with the registration process expected to take as long as a month to complete. Meanwhile, Selective Service officials in Washington indicated that all is in readiness for the registration of all presently-unregistered men between the ages of 20 and 44, to take place nationwide on February 16th. Once all registrations are completed, Selective Service will have information on approximately 40,000,000 men.

A Brooklyn sailor who was killed in the sinking of the Socony-Vacuum oil tanker Rochester this week would not have been aboard the ship had its departure not been held for his arrival. 24-year-old Leonard Reitersen of Bay Ridge, an oiler, had been home for several months from his last assignment, according to his mother, when he received a call last week summoning him to duty aboard the Rochester. He wasn't home when the call came, says his mother, and the vessel's departure was delayed until he was located in Staten Island. Reitersen didn't want to go, due to an eye ailment for which he was undergoing treatment, and told his mother the ship was "an old hunk of junk." But he went anyway, and is now reported to be among the three members of the Rochester's crew who didn't survive the submarine attack on the tanker. His mother refuses to accept that report.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Feb_1__1942_.jpg

(Modern warfare.)

A 12-year-old girl from Newark, New Jersey drowned after drinking approximately three quarts of water while playing "saloon" with her friends. According to Essex County Medical Examiner Dr. Harrison S. Martland, Margaret Boylan of 12 Cottage Street downed approximately 110 jiggersful of water while playing with her brother, sister, and friends in the basement of the family's home. The game involved a "bartender" serving "drinks" to "patrons," and after playing the game for several hours, Margaret went to bed feeling ill. She died late January 30th, and an autopsy revealed that she had consumed so much water that she had sustained nerve damage causing the paralysis of the right side of her heart and the collapse of her lungs, leading to a pulmonary oedema. "Internal drowning," was Dr. Martland's conclusion.

The Eagle Editorialist calls for the postwar punishment of war criminals. "The Hitlers, the Mussolinis, and the Tojos, and all who do their work must be brought to harsh justice."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Feb_1__1942_(1).jpg

("Attaboy, Cookie," cheers Joe. "Go give 'em hell!" "'At fellah wit' t' balloons is gonna be disappern'ed," observes Sally. "Whassee gonna do all summeh?" "I dunno," Joe shrugs. "Maybe he c'n yell ARRRRRRRRRKIEEEEEEEEE!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Feb_1__1942_(2).jpg

(Ah! It's always a joy to see the first box score of the season. Even if the season is 1890.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Feb_1__1942_(3).jpg

("Pi in the sky." Yeah, go ahead and laugh, but geometry will win this war!)

Old Timer Joe "Buck" Taylor remembers the old days in Williamsburg, when old William Limburger drove the patrol wagon from the Stagg Street precinct, and old Mr. Eckhardt refused to countenance any post-mortems as he dealt the cards for another game of pinochle.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Feb_1__1942_(4).jpg

(Cowboys run over by a steamboat? Didn't see that coming!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Feb_1__1942_(5).jpg
(What have you done??? Do you have any idea how many people are gonna be late for supper???)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Feb_1__1942_(6).jpg
(Well, I bet Sonja Heine could strum a balalaika around a Serbian campfire too. If she really wanted to.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Feb_1__1942_(7).jpg

(Like any chump, Bill can't resist a good yard sale. And it's impressive to see the Luftwaffe has such tight, foolproof security.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Feb_1__1942_(8).jpg
(Actually, I think the bug-eyed frizzy-haired look rather suits George.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Feb_1__1942_(9).jpg
(Let this be a lesson to ya, Tarz -- either pick up the pace, or next week Pepsi will have the whole page.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And from the World's Greatest Comic Section...

Chicago_Tribune_Sun__Feb_1__1942_.jpg

I would enthusiastically trade with this company just because they use an actual fish as their logo. I bet there's a big wooden fish hanging out front.

Chicago_Tribune_Sun__Feb_1__1942_(1).jpg

Sandhurst, you b**tard.

Chicago_Tribune_Sun__Feb_1__1942_(2).jpg
"The outfits? Oh, we're big fans of 'The Shadow.' He's coming on the air in a few minutes, want to listen with us?"

Chicago_Tribune_Sun__Feb_1__1942_(3).jpg
Honestly, Mr. Mosely. That panel of Cindy with her clothes on fire diving into the crotch of a melting snowman. Did you get Boody to come back just to draw that?

Chicago_Tribune_Sun__Feb_1__1942_(4).jpg
It'd be so much easier if there was, somehow, some sort of scientific theory of the mind...

Chicago_Tribune_Sun__Feb_1__1942_(5).jpg
Sorry, Walt -- the comics don't have a "Page Four." And if they did, Tracy would be there ahead of you.

Chicago_Tribune_Sun__Feb_1__1942_(7).jpg
Fact: most commercial silver polishes in 1942 contain cyanide. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY.

Chicago_Tribune_Sun__Feb_1__1942_(8).jpg
Guess who just saw "The Man Who Came To Dinner?"

Chicago_Tribune_Sun__Feb_1__1942_(9).jpg
You know, when you think about it, how is it that nobody's killed Shadow yet?

...A 12-year-old girl from Newark, New Jersey drowned after drinking approximately three quarts of water while playing "saloon" with her friends. According to Essex County Medical Examiner Dr. Harrison S. Martland, Margaret Boylan of 12 Cottage Street downed approximately 110 jiggersful of water while playing with her brother, sister, and friends in the basement of the family's home. The game involved a "bartender" serving "drinks" to "patrons," and after playing the game for several hours, Margaret went to bed feeling ill. She died late January 30th, and an autopsy revealed that she had consumed so much water that she had sustained nerve damage causing the paralysis of the right side of her heart and the collapse of her lungs, leading to a pulmonary oedema. "Internal drowning," was Dr. Martland's conclusion....

Sad and a bit hard to believe.

...The Eagle Editorialist calls for the postwar punishment of war criminals. "The Hitlers, the Mussolinis, and the Tojos, and all who do their work must be brought to harsh justice."...

Let's win the war first.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Feb_1__1942_(1).jpg
("Attaboy, Cookie," cheers Joe. "Go give 'em hell!" "'At fellah wit' t' balloons is gonna be disappern'ed," observes Sally. "Whassee gonna do all summeh?" "I dunno," Joe shrugs. "Maybe he c'n yell ARRRRRRRRRKIEEEEEEEEE!")...

"Glad we were able to come to terms so easily Mickey, here's your first check."
"Thank you, oops."
"Oh, it went over there. I'll pick it up for you."

(I know, that's mean.)

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Feb_1__1942_(6).jpg (Well, I bet Sonja Heine could strum a balalaika around a Serbian campfire too. If she really wanted to.)...

Heine had that something that makes a person special.

I will not comment on Rita Hayworth's muff.

.. The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Feb_1__1942_(7).jpg
(Like any chump, Bill can't resist a good yard sale. And it's impressive to see the Luftwaffe has such tight, foolproof security.)

Good work, in panel nine, it appears Irwin has infiltrated the Gestapo.

My guess, Dan will be escaping Germany in the "Fury's" plane.

A... Chicago_Tribune_Sun__Feb_1__1942_(3).jpg Honestly, Mr. Mosely. That panel of Cindy with her clothes on fire diving into the crotch of a melting snowman. Did you get Boody to come back just to draw that?...

Not only is the Cindy dive thing crazy, could Jack and Downwind have found a smaller bad to share?

...[ Chicago_Tribune_Sun__Feb_1__1942_(9).jpg You know, when you think about it, how is it that nobody's killed Shadow yet?

Another Sunday and the same joke.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
World's Greatest Newspaper Lizzie please note...comics are only part of parcel

Normandie's highly born silver spoons should have had their lawyers file death citing any perilous
circumstance relevant, skirting seven-year legallimbo. Probate any financials. Get the quit claim deed
issued quickly, painlessly. CONTACT Pat, work things out. Now it's way too late, baby.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
World's Greatest Newspaper Lizzie please note...comics are only part of parcel

Normandie's highly born silver spoons should have had their lawyers file death citing any perilous
circumstance relevant, skirting seven-year legallimbo. Probate any financials. Get the quit claim deed
issued quickly, painlessly. CONTACT Pat, work things out. Now it's way too late, baby.

Even back in the 60's when there were four Chicago dailies, the Trib always had the best comics. Especially on Sunday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran