Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

...The daughter of a socially-prominent Long Island family was killed today in the crash of a station wagon in which her brother, another boy, and their tutor, were injured while on their way to school. Fifteen-year-old Frances McLelland of Huntington died in an ambulance on the way to Huntington Hospital after the station wagon driven by Roderick Williams, an instructor at the exclusive Greenvale School in Roslyn, skidded out of control on an icy stretch of West Neck Avenue. The car left the road, struck a light pole, overturned, and was wrecked....

It's great to be born rich, except when it isn't.

...Four typists and a clerk employed at Queens Borough Hall will receive 1942 pay raises of one penny apiece under the new Queens operating budget submitted by borough president James A. Burke. The one-cent increases will raise the employees one pay grade, from $1799.99 per year into the $1800 per year grade....

Look at that, a press release from the firm of Scrooge & Marley.

...Fearing the issuance of a Federal injunction to halt seizures of pinball machines in response to an application filed by vending-company interests, police have accelerated their drive to confiscate all such devices in the city. Mayor LaGuardia stated today that he expects "a stiff legal fight," adding that the machine manufacturers opposing the campaign are "quite clever and ingenious."...

Say something that's hard to explain to people not familiar with the 1940s.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jan_26__1942_.jpg
(It was a gentler time.)...

A strong echo of this story can be seen in the 1951 movie "Fourteen Hours," comments on the movie here: #29364
fda.jpeg copy.jpg

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jan_26__1942_(2).jpg
("I dunno," says Joe. "It ain' natcheral." "Oh yeah?" snorts Sally. "Y'know what ain' natcheral? Goin' out when it's twelve degrees out an' y'can't get stockins, an' ya freeze ya legs off. T'AT ain' natcheral. I'm goin' downa Davega's t'marra, an' I'm gettin' me a pair a't'em dungarees!" "Huh," huhs Joe. "I s'pose y'l getta leat'a jacket nex'." "Y'know," ponders Sally. "I jus' might.")

View attachment 398050
("Hey," says Joe. "What if I..." "What if ya what?" "Nut'n.")...

Even into the '80s, there was a very faint echo of this debate - it was on life-support - as you'd occasionally hear some much-older person carping about women wearing pants at work or in "nicer" restaurants. My generation (born '64) didn't care - girls wore jeans or other types of pants more than dresses or skirts in high school in the '70s - but as noted, you'd hear a peep now and then from the older people about it.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jan_26__1942_(6).jpg (Before the invention of the Zamboni machine in 1949, rink ice had to be resurfaced by crews of men using hand scrapers, water hoses and big squeegees -- which meant it wasn't done very often and, as you can see, hockey was an even rougher game.)...

It certainly made Woodstock's job easier, but probably put some birds out of work.
another-bi6-hockey-game-today-6-somehow-we-always-end-31023031.png

... Chicago_Tribune_Mon__Jan_26__1942_.jpg
"And remember, it's justifiable use of force."...

Back in those days, at least in the movies, the police could shoot anytime they wanted, even if there were innocent bystanders in the way. It was the bystander's job to jump out of the way.

"Sorry, Dick, the Chief ran out a bit ago. He said we was going to Davega as they had a sale on some luggage they just got in. He said something about never getting a bag he had expected to get. He seemed angry. I'll let him know you need him to call as soon as he gets back."

"Uh, never mind, just put me through to the ME, don't even mention I called to the Chief."

... Chicago_Tribune_Mon__Jan_26__1942_(8).jpg
Normandie!...

Caniff knows how to tell a story: notice how he's had Pat in a very good place mentally, just in time to have his equanimity blasted out of the water. He couldn't do it in 1942, but how cool would it be if Merrily was Pat and Normandie's baby?

... Chicago_Tribune_Mon__Jan_26__1942_(9).jpg
That's right, keep your priorities straight.

She's a piece of work.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
In a more innocent time...

Daily_News_Wed__Jul_3__1935_.jpg

And not so innocent..

Daily_News_Thu__Mar_11__1937_.jpg

Sandhurst is a complete louse, but it was one of those "socially appropriate" marriages -- Normandie's family considered Pat a bum, and Sandhurst was from the Right Kind of Family. But she didn't love him and never has. Which means Merrily could very well be Pat's baby, if you read between the lines.

In a more innocent time...

View attachment 398097
And not so innocent..

View attachment 398098

Sandhurst is a complete louse, but it was one of those "socially appropriate" marriages -- Normandie's family considered Pat a bum, and Sandhurst was from the Right Kind of Family. But she didn't love him and never has. Which means Merrily could very well be Pat's baby, if you read between the lines.

Even without being in the flow of the story, those are both fun excerpts. I love Normandie trolling Pat in the top one in panel three. In that same strip, is that a young (goofy looking) Terry in panel four?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Caniff certainly draws endearing characters. Susie-Q lost little lamb, where is April?
And now the adorable Miss Sandhurst found by Ryan. Burma, babe and complex.
HuShee knocked my socks off. A woman of valor, she is way far above the price of rubies.
Are they safe? :(

That is indeed Terry at the age of thirteen, with Connie about the same age. Pat's a studly vagabond in his twenties here, without the gravitas that maturity will bring.

As you note, I love the way Caniff ages and matures his characters. He's so impressive.

As Harp alluded, I hope Hu Shee The Wonderful is coming back.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Well, I mean, geez, what's stopping you from fixing that breakfast yourself?

Our retirement schtick: We serve each other coffee and breakfast in bed, each on alternate days. I had a wonderful fresh blueberry buckle this morning.

But my wife is smart enough to prepare her own breakfasts ahead of time. She prefers fresh fruit and yogurt. I made her breakfasts originally... and my best efforts were unsat, so there you go.

Harp

I'll Lock Up

Salacious read-betwixt here. Merrily is an adorable, heart-breaker child, so Pat is going to fall
hopelessly in love with his little girl, her mother-if not there already, and mess things up.
Terry, ace lothario turned editorial constrained eunuch, not much going on here, there, anywhere.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
There is no possible way that Hu Shee didn't survive that skirmish the last time we saw her. But I bet Bucky didn't.

Bucky get lucky? With that bootleg Bogart play acein' out Terry with HuShee.... ?????:eek:
Comic strip wise Lucky is expendable and no longer relevant script. Thumbs down Buck.:cool::oops:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
American planes will bomb Germany and defend Britain, declared Prime Minister Winston Churchill in the House of Commons today, and the British and American navies are "in initmate union" in both the Atlantic and Pacific. Mr. Churchill told the Commons that when he concluded his recent visit to Washington, President Roosevelt clasped his hand and declared "we will see this thing thru to the bitter end, no matter what the cost may be."

General Douglas MacArthur's tiny American aviation forces have taken the air despite Japan's overwhelming superiority in the sky, the War Department reported today, shooting down two and possibly three Japanese planes in "a thrilling encounter" over Batan Province. A second challenge to the Japanese air force was mounted by MacArthur's daredevil motor torpedo boats, which attacked a formation of Japanese dive bombers and disabled at least three.

American-Dutch naval and air attacks in the battle of Macassar Straits during the last three days have resulted in destruction and heavy damage to 28 Japanese warships and the downing of 13 enemy planes, it was announced today by authoritative Dutch quarters. "This is only the beginning of the Allied actions necessary to drive back the enemy," was the declaration made in a statement released by the Netherlands Aneta news agency.

Japanese forces made a new landing under heavy British air bombardment on Malaya's east coast in the vicinity of the strategic town of Mersing, near a battle raging fifty miles from Singapore, a communique announced today. British troops were reported battling the Japanese north of Jem Luang, near a river mouth eight miles south of Mersing, a report which may indicate the loss of the town.

War Production chief Donald L. Nelson today issued a directive vesting the Office of Price Adminstration with full legal authority to ration any and all goods and commodities sold at retail in the United States should war conditions so warrant.

Fares on the Long Island Rail Road will not rise under an across-the-board railroad fare hike mandated by the Interstate Commerce Commission. Chairman of the state Public Service Commission Milo R. Maltble today clarified that, as it does not operate across state lines, the LIRR is not bound by the ICC edict, and accordingly, its fares will not increase.

Coins found inside pinball machines seized by police in Brooklyn, Queens, and elsewhere in the city will be confiscated and turned over to the Police Department pension fund. At an average of $1 per machine, the nickels forfeited so far have brought in a conservative estimate of $3031 since the current drive began.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jan_27__1942_.jpg
("Hah!" says Joe. "Allem potatas inna Army, no tellin' what kin'a trouble he could get in! Which remins' me, I got a postal cahd f'm Solly -- look heah. Says 'Deah Joe an' Sal, just a line t'tellya -- I can't say wheah I'm goin' -- but I'm onna way. Keep 'm flyin', Pvt. S. Pincus, USA.'" "Hope he comes back," replies Sally somberly. "Me too," nods Joe. "Me too.")

Three of four men charged in Flatbush Court with selling adulterated olive oil are free on $10,000 bail, but the fourth defendant, 37 year old Carmine Siano of Manhattan, was ordered held without bail by Magistrate John F. X. Masterson. The four defendants are charged with violating Section 199-A of the Agriculture and Marketing Oil by representing as pure olive oil a mixture of olive and cottonseed oils. Bail was refused for Siano after it was determined that he was wanted for the slaying of John Alisio in Manhattan on March 29, 1933.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jan_27__1942_(1).jpg
(Gertie's right up on the latest jive. "Glassed" in 1942 has nothing to do with its modern gamer/sci-fi usage, referring to a planet obliterated by a massive nuclear attack from space, but rather refers to processed foods put up in jars rather than cans. "Glassed pickles" are not as good as pickles bought straight from the barrel in a deli.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jan_27__1942_(2).jpg

(Complain, complain, complain.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jan_27__1942_(3).jpg

(Tsk. Mr. Nelson just disallowed the use of steel for home bomb shelters. Better see if you can cadge some bricks from that vacant lot down the street.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jan_27__1942_(4).jpg
(Ah, Melvin. A Giant even a Dodger fan can love. And now, having seen Chuck Dressen in a bathing suit, I can honestly say that I have seen everything.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jan_27__1942_(5).jpg
(What, no listing for Fitz??? IS THAT NICE?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jan_27__1942_(6).jpg
(Well, this is certainly timely.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jan_27__1942_(7).jpg
(If Oakdale isn't involved in this somehow, I'll be terribly disappointed.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jan_27__1942_(8).jpg
("Can the gab, daddy-o -- let's neck!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jan_27__1942_(9).jpg
("Secret Operative" my eye! You're "Danny the Dip!" And you're wanted on six outstanding warrants -- five for pickpocketing and one for selling adulterated olive oil!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And from the Crossroads of America...

Chicago_Tribune_Tue__Jan_27__1942_(1).jpg
"What were those words to 'It's A Long Way To Tipperary' again?"

Chicago_Tribune_Tue__Jan_27__1942_(3).jpg
Careful, pop. Loose lips.

Chicago_Tribune_Tue__Jan_27__1942_.jpg
"Is that a pipe in your mouth, or are you just glad to see me?"

Chicago_Tribune_Tue__Jan_27__1942_(2).jpg

"Just remember that when you're on the witness stand. Exactly those words. GOT IT?"

Chicago_Tribune_Tue__Jan_27__1942_(4).jpg
Honey and Goofy after thirty years.

Chicago_Tribune_Tue__Jan_27__1942_(5).jpg
"SHUT UP!" What, no cane? You're slipping.

Chicago_Tribune_Tue__Jan_27__1942_(6).jpg

And outside the door, Annie says "WELP THEY DON'T NEED US. TIME TO HIT THE ROAD AGAIN!" "Arf," sighs Sandy.

Chicago_Tribune_Tue__Jan_27__1942_(7).jpg
Don't let him copy your homework, kid!

Chicago_Tribune_Tue__Jan_27__1942_(8).jpg

Wait'll they get started on hanging the toilet paper roll.

...Coins found inside pinball machines seized by police in Brooklyn, Queens, and elsewhere in the city will be confiscated and turned over to the Police Department pension fund. At an average of $1 per machine, the nickels forfeited so far have brought in a conservative estimate of $3031 since the current drive began....

Talk about creating an incentive for bad police behavior - pursue this type of crime and you can increase the funding of your pension plan. Gee, where should we concentrate our policing effort?

...Three of four men charged in Flatbush Court with selling adulterated olive oil are free on $10,000 bail, but the fourth defendant, 37 year old Carmine Siano of Manhattan, was ordered held without bail by Magistrate John F. X. Masterson. The four defendants are charged with violating Section 199-A of the Agriculture and Marketing Oil by representing as pure olive oil a mixture of olive and cottonseed oils. Bail was refused for Siano after it was determined that he was wanted for the slaying of John Alisio in Manhattan on March 29, 1933....

d1332ff1578e6baf0f5df21c2e2e458d.png

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jan_27__1942_(7).jpg (If Oakdale isn't involved in this somehow, I'll be terribly disappointed.)...

"Put on a tie." It was the water many men simply swam in.

Re Oakdale, as I think you noted earlier, Lizzie, now that there is real war on, "military hero" Oakdale is probably hiding out somewhere.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jan_27__1942_(9).jpg ("Secret Operative" my eye! You're "Danny the Dip!" And you're wanted on six outstanding warrants -- five for pickpocketing and one for selling adulterated olive oil!)

"Supreme leader, we need you to make crucial command decisions that will determine the fate of the war."
"Not now! I'm talking to a third-rate propagandist."

... Chicago_Tribune_Tue__Jan_27__1942_(1).jpg "What were those words to 'It's A Long Way To Tipperary' again?"....

The multibarreled ground-strafing gun is an intimidating looking weapon.

... Chicago_Tribune_Tue__Jan_27__1942_.jpg "Is that a pipe in your mouth, or are you just glad to see me?"....

With their backstory (thank you, Lizzie), that is an incredibly emotional moment for them, especially if completely unexpected.

.. Chicago_Tribune_Tue__Jan_27__1942_(2).jpg
"Just remember that when you're on the witness stand. Exactly those words. GOT IT?"....

In this case, Tracy was justified, but it's always good to "firm up" everyone's story ahead of time.

... Chicago_Tribune_Tue__Jan_27__1942_(4)-3.jpg Honey and Goofy after thirty years.....

Let's hope not, I'm counting on those two kids getting a divorce, for everyone's sake.

... Chicago_Tribune_Tue__Jan_27__1942_(6).jpg
And outside the door, Annie says "WELP THEY DON'T NEED US. TIME TO HIT THE ROAD AGAIN!" "Arf," sighs Sandy.....

What Sandy actually said was let's stick around for two weeks as I just signed a short-term endorsement deal with a local car dealer and the radio spots run for that time. After that, we're free to go.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Regarding bootlegs and decent boys in the Army---

While awaiting discharge at Ft Campbell, KY problem boys were either court martialed,
sent to correctional custody, or imprisoned in the post stockade. Article 15 nonjudicial punishment
typically took pay away from the soldier with additional work detail assigned. Another option
existed: a 'marginal' could be handed over to a junior noncommissioned officer who kept
an eye on the guy informally, tendered enlisted man to enlisted man advice, counsel, or
occasional sit down off post beer. A final in-house method was the company first shirt
calling out a serious malfunction and offering a bounty for a barracks justice ass kicking.
My first sergeant had his company wrapped around his waist like a money belt.
On paydays his barracks room became a poker pit, chairs were rented, loans made at
high interest, and Top took a cut from latrine crap games. Physical beatings meted out
to attiudinals needing correction. And it all stayed neatly tucked inside the company
like a trouser pant leg expertly bloused in a gleaming spit shined Corcoran jump boot.

Then one bright sunny Kentucky morn I received summons from the company
orderly room. The first shirt wanted me to keep an eye on a newly arrived buck ass private
misfit considered a serious candidate for landing in the stockade. I placed him on the funeral
detail, taught him how to carry a casket and assist flag fold; also brought him to the post
pistol range for some target practice with a .22 automatic. He seemed to recognize his
situation, a bit older-twenty one and cooperative. I counseled him to finish high school
GED certificate study, perhaps start college cousework on Operation Bootstrap.

A few weeks later, summoned back to see Top I found him furious. Thought I was keeping
an eye on the problem. Working with the kid. Turned out my little brother and another
buck ass private hit a Clarksville, Tennessee pawn shop, then drove to Hopkinsville, Kentucky
where the duo sold shotguns, rifles, and pistols to an undercover FBI agent. The pawn shop
hit and interstate transport and sale of stolen firearms; FBI agents all over; payday poker
and craps right around the corner; the company commander had his ass chewed out by
a major general; and I was suppose to be keeping an eye on the guy.

Never saw the kid again. :(

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
chicago_tribune_tue__jan_27__1942_-8-jpg.398247

Goofy bears an astonishing resemblance to my Dad when the latter was eighteen. His post war marriage to my mom lasted 29 years until he had finally had enough. And his being badgered like Goofy is being badgered here had a lot to do the overall dysfunction in the relationship. You can only bend so many times until you break. Love my mom dearly, but if I had to deal with her as a spouse and her family as in- laws I would have pulled the pin after a few months.

Good luck, Goofy: you'll need it. My guess is that Ed will resolve this a lot sooner than 29 years.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I look at old home movies of my parents during the few years of their marriage and all I can see is two kids playing at being adults. They were a little older than Goofy and Honey, but not by much. And it didn't turn out well for anyone.

I cannot help but think that, in panel four of today's "Terry", that Mr. Caniff is directly inviting us to compare Merrily with Pat. Yep, she's got her old man's eyes.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
American Flying Fortresses leading an Allied drive to annihilate a Japanese invasion armada in the Straits of Macassar blasted three more enemy ships today, bringing the total of vessels destroyed or damaged to 31. An official communique reported that the Flying Fortresses sank a large Japanese transport, set another afire, and straddled a cruiser with several attacks of bombs. The action is reported to have disrupted the Japanese timetable for an invasion of the Netherlands East Indies and may have "postponed indefinitely" Japanese landings on Java and Sumatra.

With ground forces in control of the Trans-Johore highway stretching from Batu Pahat to Mersing thru the dense green jungle of Malaya, Japanese war craft today pounded Singapore as the great battle for Pacific control neared its crucial stage. British Far Eastern officials admitted last night that Japanese forces are now less than fifty miles from Singapore, with heavy fighting in progress.

America today rushed aid toward the Southwest Pacific, where General Douglas MacArthur's men, and the forces Britain, the Netherlands, and Australia are fighting off an expanding Japanese offensive backed by as many as a million men. President Roosevelt stated today that help is being rushed to the Pacific theatre, but he did not specify the type of aid or whether it would include one of the six, eight, or ten American expeditionary forces which he said have been dispatched around the world.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jan_28__1942_.jpg

("Hah!" hahs Joe. "I wonneh if Solly is goin' t' Irelan'. Watch out, goils!" "Irish goils c'n take care a' t'emselfs," sniffs Sally. "Oh yeah," acknowledges Joe. "Gee, I hope he makes it back.")

Another eleven men were rescued today following the sinking of the American oil tanker Francis E. Powell yesterday off the Atlantic coast. The 7096-ton vessel owned by the Atlantic Refining Company carried a crew of 32, 28 of whom are now confirmed to have survived the torpedo attack. The fate of the tanker's master, T. J. Harrington of Baltimore, Md., has not yet been determined.

The death of a pony in an accident in Prospect Park yesterday led to the arrest of a riding academy operator on charges of possession of a pinball machine. Police questioning the owner of the pony, riding academy manager John Ray of 1667 10th Avenue, discovered a pinball machine at the academy headquarters at 25 Ocean Parkway. Ray pleaded not guilty to the charge yesterday before Magistrate John F. X. Masterson in Flatbush Court, asserting that the pinball machine was not his.

A 27-year-old knish salesman was given a choice of a $2 fine or a sentence of two days in jail "suspended for the duration" after he told Magistrate Masterson that he was due to go into the Army this week. Morris Sand of 1742 Sterling Place was found guilty of selling the Jewish delicacy at the corner of Empire Boulevard and Nostrand Avenue last Sunday without a license. Sand pleaded for the suspended sentence in view of his pending Army service, pointing out that "none of us can go against the Government."

The Jewish Hospital of Brooklyn has received a $2500 grant from the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis to carry out a year's research on methods of immunization against the crippling childhood disease. Dr. Ulrich Friedemann, once a laboratory assistant to the great Dr. Paul Ehrlich in his native Germany, will head the project. "Thus far we are remote from the final cure for infantile paralysis," stated Dr. Friedemann. "But it might be tomorrow or it might be next year that someone will find it. We have hopes." Dr. Friedemann fled Germany in 1933 after the rise of Adolf Hitler, and a month ago became a citizen of the United States.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jan_28__1942_(1).jpg

(Furfural is also found in coffee. Yum!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jan_28__1942_(3).jpg

(Sure, go ahead, pull up some more trolley tracks.)

The Eagle Editorialist declares that Mayor LaGuardia should be "disgusted with himself" for the "display of irascibility" he has shown in the recent matter of Markets Commissioner William Fellowes Morgan, who resigned after eight years of service after criticizing the Mayor for "interfering in the detailed management" of Markets Department personnel. The Mayor has made his performance "even more inexcusable" by now charging that "irregularities" have been found in that Department, and ordering an investigation. "The Mayor has resorted to cheap unfair methods to cast aspersion on his former aide's character by innuendo. If the Mayor had actually believed that there had actually been irregularities, he should have ordered a secret investigation, and discussed it only if the charges were found to stand up."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jan_28__1942_(4).jpg

(The Victory Look.)

A solemn mass of requiem will be said at Holy Rosary R. C. Church on Chauncey Street tomorrow for Charles J. Rague, veteran of the Civil War, who died at his home yesterday at the age of 92. Mr. Rague joined the Navy at the age of 14, and later transferred to the Army. He was present at Gettysburg, and shook hands there with President Abraham Lincoln. Mr. Rague retired about twenty years ago after a long career as a mechanical engineer, and was commander of Winchester Post 197 of the G. A. R..

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jan_28__1942_(5).jpg

(Even in 1942, the Boston baseball press has a unique reputation for rapacity, a reputation it will maintain right down to 2022. And,no need to fear, Mr. Theo. S. Ballgame will feed that reputation for many years to come, especially as his draft problems unfold.)

Leo Durocher will preside over the face-off ceremonies at Madison Square Garden next Tuesday night as the Brooklyn Americans face the Rangers. "Brooklyn Night" festivities are being organized under the auspices of committee chairman Dave Soden, and more than 5000 Brooklynites are expected to pack into the Garden for the game, where they will loudly encourage the Amerks to "moider them Rangers."

Yankee outfielder Tommy Henrich, who was, you will recall, at the plate when the ball got away from Mickey Owen, has been reclassified by his Massilon, Ohio draft board from 3-A to 1-A. He is expected to enter the Army soon, but will, he says, "still be a Yankee."
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jan_28__1942_(6).jpg

(They should play Shirley's feature first, she's still too young to stay up late.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jan_28__1942_(7).jpg
(Do you get the feeling Boody just makes these stories up as he goes along?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jan_28__1942_(8).jpg
(Poor George still hasn't figured out the Code of the Private Eye -- ACAD: All Cops Are Dopes.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jan_28__1942_(9).jpg

("Mr. Kane? There are some Legitimate Businessmen here to see you.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jan_28__1942_(10).jpg
(Dan will now torment Fat Hermann with wacky antics. Oh wait, that's Bugs Bunny.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And from the Capital of the Century of Progress...

Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Jan_28__1942_.jpg

Now there's a name we haven't heard in a while...

Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Jan_28__1942_(1).jpg

Senga dancing with Josie outside Pop's house? See, that's a storyline we missed.

Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Jan_28__1942_(2).jpg

Don't worry, you'll be informed.

Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Jan_28__1942_(3).jpg

"They cut off my credit down at the diner!"

Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Jan_28__1942_(4).jpg

Those courses Mr. King took in high school finally pay off.

Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Jan_28__1942_(5).jpg

With aim like that, it's a pity Mamie can't get into the Army.

Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Jan_28__1942_(6).jpg

Never mind the other two, Min ought to join the Diplomatic Corps.

Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Jan_28__1942_(7).jpg
"Whew," thinks Annie. "I guess we'll stick around after all."

Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Jan_28__1942_(8).jpg
"One of America's proud fighting men? By all means, dear, have a delightful evening."

Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Jan_28__1942_(9).jpg
Merrily knows. She just does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto