Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Oh, and...

Daily_News_Thu__Nov_18__1943_(4).jpg

The domestic staff at the Texaco president's Long Island estate poses for a group portrait.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Joan Blondell always rings a bell whenever I see the clip of Artie Shaw's Midnite feature of a nude woman
dancing Salome's seven veils with feather wands. Magical delight framed by Shaw's clarinet solo.
And she must be Joan. She aged well, never more beautiful than later films showed.

Caniff is drawing back a right cross for the reader. Prepare for this now because it won't be nice.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Nov_19__1943_.jpg

("Maybe t'wawr WILL be oveh by Chris'mas," muses Joe. "Wouln'at be a swell presn' f't'whole woil'?" "Ahhhh, Joseph," sighs Ma. "Ye always warrr an optimist." "I guess," shrugs Joe, "but I mean, lookit it t'is way. What's got a betteh chance? T'wawr bein' oveh awr t' Dodgehs winnin' anyt'ing nex' yeeh? I ask ya." "Ah, ye got a point tharr,"nods Ma. "Thaaat situation in Bedfarrd-Stoyvesant, now, that's a mess. I guess it's a good thing things aaarn't loike that in Bensonhaaarst, wouldn'tye say?" "Oh, we got oueh probl'ms," replies Joe. "Anyplace y'go aroun' heeh, y'got probl'ms. T'is t'ing inna papeh, it's awl politics. T'ell woik it out." "Ye've lived in Bensonhaaarst f'quoite a whoile now," observes Ma. "Isn't that so?" "Yeh," Joe agrees. "Eveh since me'n Sal got married. Gonna be seven yeehs next August. How 'bout t'at, huh? Don' time fly?" "I guess ye must know a lotta people down tharr, don't ye," chuckles Ma. "Oh yeh," grins Joe, "whole lotta people. If t'ez one t'ing t'ey gotta lot of in Bensonhoist, it's people. Y'can't wawk downna street wit'out runnin' into 'em." "Say, Joseph," ventures Ma, "have ye ever run into a woman by the name of -- ah -- Marie Belasco when ye', you know, waaalkin' down th' street?" Joe ponders for a moment. "I dunno," shrugs Joe. "Whas' she look like?" "Well," ponders Ma, recalling a few photographs she has recently examined, "Oi'd say she's abaaaht yarr age, maybe five feet two, five feet three, not too heavy, with darrk carrrly hair. An' she's got -- ahh -- straaang eyebrows." "Heh," hehs Joe, "t'at's like haffa Bensonhoist. Lotta gals aroun'eh look like t'at. You know wheh she lives?" "Ohhh, possibly," nods Ma. "79th Street an' 17th Avenahh?" "Oh yeh," declares Joe. "I know weh t'at is, it's right neeh New Utrick High School, right acrost f'm t' El tracks go by t'eh. When I was goin' t'night school, y'know, befoeh t'wawr, I'd go by t'eh awla time." "Isn't that intarrrestin'," nods Ma. "Yeh," continues Joe. "It's a not too fawr a wawk f'm wheh we live -- whassat -- um -- sixteen blocks down an' one block oveh. I useta wawk it in about, oh, twenny minutes." "How about thaaaat," nods Ma. "Hey," interjects Joe. "Howcome ya wanna know 'bout t'is Marie whats'ehname anyway? She owe ya money?" "Oh no, nothing loike that," dismisses Ma. "Haaaar name joost came up in -- uh -- convarrsation the oothar day, an' Oi was wondarrin' if ye evar knew her, thaat's all." "Yeh, sueh," replies Joe, slurping a final sip of his egg cream. "Hey, y'know, I won'eh if Sal might know 'eh? She gets aroun' town moeh'n I do. Well, I betteh get goin', pr'cision pawrts won't wait! Seeya t'marra!" Joe kisses his daughter, tips Ma the wink, and exits, as Ma rocks back and forth on her feet, pondering.)

A five-day aerial offensive by LIberators against the Marshall and Gilbert Islands indicated today that American air forces were getting in the first important blows to crack the Japanese mid-Pacific outpost system north of the equator. The land based-planes started their attacks Saturday night, and kept them going thru Wednesday, meeting aerial enemy opposition for the first time on Tuesday. Not a man nor a plane was lost from the formation, whose home base was not revealed.

The Roosevelt Administration today ignored Congressional determination to abolish food price subsidies, by announcing an annual $180,000.000 subsidy program for flour, intended to hold down the price of bread. It was another move in the administration's campaign to hold the line against inflation, and was considered necessary to prevent a one-and-a-half to two-cent per loaf increase in the retail price of bread. The subsidy will be paid to millers to permit the maintenance of current price ceilings, and thereby provide relief for bakers who are being squeezed by high wheat prices. Price Stabilization Director Fred C. Vinson further announced that the OPA will soon supplement the flour subsidy with ceiling prices on all raw wheat. Presently only Eastern soft wheat is held under an OPA ceiling.

The War Manpower Commission will soon take steps to deal with workers who deliberately get themselves fired from war jobs in order to take better-paying employment elsewhere. Acting Director Stephen Sheridan of the New York District Office of the WMC stated yesterday that he has requested authority from Washington to directly address this "knotty problem." Sheridan also noted in an address to 500 Brooklyn employers at the Kings County office of the United States Employment Commission, that the local quota of new 127,000 workers in essential occupations for the last quarter of 1943 will have to be met largely by women and by the transferring of men from non-essential into essential jobs. He observed that there are only 65,000 skilled workers not presently working in war jobs available to fill these new positions. It is estimated that 60,000 women not presently employed in war work will be placed in essential jobs by December 1st.

Turkey might be hard to come by this Thanksgiving, but there are plenty of chickens. City Markets Commissioner Henry Brundage and his predecessor, newly-appointed OPA regional administrator Daniel P. Woolley issued a joint statement today agreeing that there is no reason for anyone in the city to pay more than the 54-cents-per-pound ceiling price for turkey to black market dealers when there is a plentiful supply of chickens to fill the Thanksgiving table need at less cost.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Nov_19__1943_(1).jpg

("Hmph," hmphs Sally. "T'at's an essential wawr jawb?" "Ahhh, give 'er a break," chuckles Alice. "She might break a nail squoitin' one'a t'em poifume botls.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Nov_19__1943_(3).jpg

(Annnnnd the Thanksgiving Dinner Derby is off and running. Wong's Garden, anyone?)

Reeleceted City Councilwoman Genevieve Earle writes in to thank her constitutents for their support in her quest for a fourth term. "I need not assure them," she pledges, "that any effort to further Brooklyn's interests and service will have my wholehearted and indefatiguable support as they always have had in the past."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Nov_19__1943_(4).jpg

("And stay out of the filing cabinet, that's where I keep the assemblers!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Nov_19__1943_(5).jpg

(We miss ya, Fitz. And you never WERE all that fat.)

With the Yankees now locked into Atlantic City, N. J. as their spring training site, Connie Mack is searching for somewhere to park the Athletics next spring. Mack had been scouting out Atlantic City, just 62 miles from Philadelphia, as the likeliest spot for the A's, but will now be forced to look further afield. Atlantic City is 140 miles from Yankee Stadium.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Nov_19__1943_(6).jpg

(It didn't take for this new Bungleverse to turn back into the old one. C'mon, where's Oakdale?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Nov_19__1943_(7).jpg

("Let me call Leona Blackston. She might have some things you can borrow.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Nov_19__1943_(8).jpg

("So I used to be kind and happy -- and now I've changed for the worse!" If this millionaire thing doesn't work out, Mr. Stun could always write show tunes!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Nov_19__1943_(9).jpg

(If the soap endorsement doesn't work out, there's always chloral hydrate.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Nov_19__1943_(10).jpg

("Hey Bo," says Kitty. "I know something the old man doesn't. What's it worth to ya?")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News....

Daily_News_Fri__Nov_19__1943_.jpg

"In the masterly fashion that has endeared him to millions of moviegoers."

Daily_News_Fri__Nov_19__1943_(1).jpg

"This never happens to Gypsy!"

Daily_News_Fri__Nov_19__1943_(2).jpg

I hope this goes on forever.

Daily_News_Fri__Nov_19__1943_(3).jpg

"Grett Murmur says so long..."

Daily_News_Fri__Nov_19__1943_(5).jpg

"Now I know how all those kids felt in Stalingrad."

Daily_News_Fri__Nov_19__1943_(6).jpg

Neither one of these guys will make it home alive. Which will save them from having Andy Gump as a cousin-in-law.

Daily_News_Fri__Nov_19__1943_(7).jpg

"Lotta stuff falls off trucks in this town. Funny about that."

Daily_News_Fri__Nov_19__1943_(8).jpg

And that's why standardization is a good thing.

Daily_News_Fri__Nov_19__1943_(9).jpg

You know, Lil, sudden weight gain can be a symptom. I'd see a doctor right away.

Daily_News_Fri__Nov_19__1943_(10).jpg

You're slipping, kid. You never got your nickel back.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Milada at the Waldorf Astoria, Billie Joyce at the Dixie, Constance is a looker, then Betty Rowland shows thigh.
And Grett is doomed.

Orson Welles saws Rita Hayworth in half after her divorce and Vic is in service.
A neat geometry problem here with quite singular descript for triangular divide slide rule usage.

Milada at the Waldorf Astoria, Billie Joyce at the Dixie, Constance is a looker, then Betty Rowland shows thigh.
And Grett is doomed.

Orson Welles saws Rita Hayworth in half after her divorce and Vic is in service.
A neat geometry problem here with quite singular descript for triangular divide slide rule usage.

It seems that is a pretty candid shot of Ms. Hayworth as her hair is usually all Hollywood sleek not wildly curly as it is here.

And Kudos to the Daily News, you know it wasn't going to miss an opportunity to show some thigh at a time when that was still a bit risqué.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Nov_20__1943_.jpg

("You been able t'get a toikey?" inquires Sally as Leonora wiggles into her coat for the trip home. "Ahhh, ye needn't warry aboot no taarkey," replies Ma. "Woon way arr t'otharr we'll have a tarrkey. Yarr Uncle Frank knoows a man roons a pooltry farm ooot'n Mineola who is -- ah -- happy to share." "I t'ought t'ey on'y raised patatehs out t'eh," comments Sally. "Put on ya mitt'ns, honey, it's cold out. "Dowanna," protests Leonora, flinging the offending mittens behind the counter, causing Ma to bend down and retrieve them. "I run into a friend of yaaars t'day," inserts Ma, handing the mittens back. "Marie Belasco saays t'say hello to ye." Sally ponders this statement. "I don' know no Marie Belasco." "Oh, she said she knew ye," replies Ma. "Lives in Bensonhaaarst down by the high school thaaar. Aboot yarr age, not too taaal, carrrly daark hair, straaang eyebrows..." "Wait a minute," considers Sally. "Is she t'one woiks at Roulston's oveh't'ehr'on 18t' aveneh? I didn' know she knew my name. I tawk to 'eh once'na while, don' really know 'eh awlat much. I don' go inna Roulston's a whole lawt, I'd rat'teh go t' Bohacks, but y'know, sometimes t'ey got sales, an' it's closeh, so I'll run oveh t'eh t'get a loafa bread a'sump'n. I neveh t'ought she was awlat tawkative, t'be hones' -- awrways looks agg'ehvated 'bout sump'n." "Isn't that intarrestin'," responds Ma. "Funny, ain' it?" chuckles Sally. "Guess I musta made a impression. Well, nex' time ya see'eh, tell 'eh I say 'h'lo.' "Oi'll do thaaat," smiles Ma.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Nov_20__1943_(1).jpg

("Wellllll," sighs Gypsy. "Back to work...")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Nov_20__1943_(2).jpg

"Dan Topping tried to scout her, but she made an end run."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Nov_20__1943_(9).jpg

("Madam Curie?" THAT'S NOT VERY CHRISTMASY.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Nov_20__1943_(3).jpg

(Never mind where Leo's gonna go on his USO tour -- who's gonna be his straight man?)

Comic Danny Kaye, recently turned down by his draft board, is expected to head up the USO tour leaving next month which also numbers Leo Durocher among its participants. (Oh, well, all right then...)

Out in Hollywood, a highly ballyhood benefit pitching duel between former Dodger Bobo Newsom and Negro pitching star Satchel Paige ended with both starters knocked out of the box. But Paige's Baltimore Colored Giants beat Loud Louie's Pirrone All Stars by a score of 11-8.

Oakland Oaks owner Brick Laws says he's narrowed down his search for a new manager for his Pacific Coast League club to two candidates -- the Oaks will be helmed in 1944 either by Dolph Camilli or Babe Ruth.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Nov_20__1943_(4).jpg

(ALWAYS GET IT IN WRITING)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Nov_20__1943_(5).jpg

("Hey lady, wanna buy a Thanksgiving turkey?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Nov_20__1943_(6).jpg

("See, these are the strings right here, and I just give 'em a quick PULL...")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Nov_20__1943_(7).jpg

(WHAT COULD IT POSSIBLY BE??)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Nov_20__1943_(8).jpg
("Yeh, whatever, take the kid, I don't care. Just go, I wanna get back to sleep.")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sat__Nov_20__1943_.jpg

"Princess Yeffie" will go on to become a prominent artist and expert on Native American art, but she is also very much a "Pretendian." She was born to white parents in Missouri, and had no Osage, or any other tribal, ancestry whatsoever.

Daily_News_Sat__Nov_20__1943_(1).jpg

Tying up a loose end.

Daily_News_Sat__Nov_20__1943_(2).jpg

The wild pig population is not going to survive the war.

Daily_News_Sat__Nov_20__1943_(3).jpg
We pause for this brief public service announcement.

Daily_News_Sat__Nov_20__1943_(4).jpg

"Oh, and twenty gallons of thirty-weight oil, a set of wiper blades, some of those shiny hubcaps, and a foxtail for the raidator."

Daily_News_Sat__Nov_20__1943_(5).jpg

"Have you tried punching him in the chin?" "Uh, no, should I? Want me to do it now?"

Daily_News_Sat__Nov_20__1943_(6).jpg

"Well why aren't you working then?"

Daily_News_Sat__Nov_20__1943_(7).jpg

"Which way to the Army camp again?"

Daily_News_Sat__Nov_20__1943_(8).jpg

WAAAAAAA! Most realistic kid in the comics.

Daily_News_Sat__Nov_20__1943_(9).jpg

"And after that, I plan to join a convent. SO STOP CALLING ME LIL LAMBS LETTUCE!"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Nov_21__1943_.jpg

("Apaartm'nt 3-B," mutters Ma Sweeney to herself as she climbs a dark and rickety Bensonhurst stairway. The walls rumble as across the street an elevated train grinds past. Pausing in the dimly lit corridor, she takes a deep breath and raps smartly at the door. There is a bustle from inside, and the door opens as far as its chain will permit. A dark eye beneath a heavy brow frowns out. "Mrs -- ah -- Miss Belasco?" Ma inquires. "Yeh," snaps back a sharp voice. "What's it to yeh?" "I'm with the National Waaaar Foond," states Ma in a particularly earnest tone. "May I coom in?" "We don' want any," growls Miss Belasco. "MAAAAAAAA!" comes a wailing voice from within. "SHUT UP," the young woman snarls back. "I'm TAWKIN' t' somebody!" "It'll only take a minute," wheedles Ma. The door closes, there is the sound of a sliding chain, and the door reopens, to reveal a hard-looking, dark-haired woman. A small sour-faced boy sits sulking on a wooden chair behind her. "Awright, lady," Miss Belasco snaps. "Make it quick." "Thank ye," nods Ma, stepping inside, as the door closes behind her...)

Reports of an early meeting of President Roosevelt, Prime Minister Churchill, and Premier Stalin to chart the final phase of the European War were reported last night to have touched off a flurry of nerves in Rumania, one of the first potential targets of the Allies. Excellent information reaching Berne, Switzerland stated that Rumania has commenced to recall her forces from the Russian front, and other reports reaching London from the Balkans that there was a selling panic at Bucharest, in which merchants were attempting to dump their goods in Turkey or elsewhere outside Rumania itself. The Balkans are believed to have reacted swiftly to the rumors of a meeting of the leaders of the three great Allied powers because of the fact that the Red Army is presently less than 150 miles from the Rumanian border, and the prospect of the Soviets pursuing a fleeing, beaten German Army into Rumania enough to precipitate a full-scale panic.

Meager reports indicated today that Australian infantry, engaged in some of the most bitter fighting of the New Guinea campaign, were making slow and steady progress in a drive designed to clear the Japanese from around Finschhafen and gain new air bases from which to cover new amphibious moves against Japanese territory. Australian units, veterans of the Middle Eastern campaign renowned for their skill and courage, are now reported to be about a mile from Satelburg Township, ten miles northwest of Finschhafen, where the Japanese have held out since they were driven from Finschhafen on October 23rd.

Vichy, France is reported to be in the grip of its greatest crisis since 1940, with German occupation forces and their French collaborationist sycophants on guard against a potential mass uprising sparked by rumors of Marshal Henri Petain's possible resignation and his 11th hour conversion to the cause of a democratic France. Unconfirmed reports emanating from Vichy, Berne, and Madrid variously claimed that the 87-year-old Chief of State had "abdicated," offered his resignation, was either a prisoner or under house arrest by order of either the Nazis or Pierre Laval, or was ill of a heart ailment in the wake of the ban imposed on his planned speech last Saturday, during which he was supposedly intending to promulgate a new constitutional act "disinheriting" Laval. In an apparent effort to quell the sensational rumors, Radio Vichy reported tonight that Petain received two delegations today and that Laval had informed him of "discussions at a cabinet meeting," at which Laval had just presided. There was no hint as to the subject of that meeting, but the statement was the first mention of Petain over the Vichy radio since last Monday.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Nov_21__1943_(1).jpg

("I could stan' t'lose some weight," shrugs Alice. "I been putt'n onna pounds since I been woikin' out'n Joisey. T'at cafeterieh, it's fulla stawrch. An'ney got t'at cheesecake, t'at's pretty good. An'nem donuts. An'..." "Maybe y'otta jus' take a brown bag lunch," suggests Sally. "A lettuce san'wich on gluten bread. Skip t'cafeterieh." "Well, I gotta do sump'n. I gotta fit into me wedd'n dress, an' I can't get a new goidle." "You set a date yet?" queries Sally. "Yeh," says Alice. "We'h t'inkin New Yeeh's Eve might be nice, y'know? T'at way, see, we neveh hafta worry 'bout f'gettin' oueh annehvoisery, right?" "Joe ain' f'got oueh annehvoisehry in six yeehs," comments Sally. "Yeh," shrugs Alice, "but t'at's Joe. He's, you know, whatchacawl unique." "Weh'ya gonna have t'wedd'n?" chuckles Sally. "Marine Roof at t' Bosse't?" "No," replies Alice, "y'know what happ'nt? T'Ginsboigs said we could have it inneh pawrleh, right heeh inna buildin'. T'ey got a son t'ats a lawyeh an' ya know who he's frien's wit'? T'at Magistrate Solomon t'at's awrways inna papeh, Magistrate Chawrles Solomon himself, an'ney bet he'd come oveh an' do t'ceremony as a faveh. An' ya know what else. Misteh G said, since I ain' got no pa t'give me away, he'd be glad to do t'at himself. Ain'nat swell?" "I bet he's glad t'do it," grins Sally, "Yeh," nods Alice. "I got t'at feelin' too.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Nov_21__1943_(2).jpg

(One of my aunts was a wartime longshorewoman, and could swear like one too.)

The Eagle Editorialist shrugs his shoulders at the latest twist in the drafting of pre-Pearl Harbor fathers -- with House and Senate conferees agreeing that such fathers are to be deferred "as long as possible, without affecting the usual regular and orderly flow of manpower needed to meet Army and Navy schedules." Since pre-Pearl Harbor fathers are already being drafted, "it's hard to see why the legislation under discussion is needed at all, except perhaps as a saving political gesture.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Nov_21__1943_(3).jpg

("Aw, c'mon, Joe," pleads Krause, leaning against the door as Joe sits on the stoop, his breath condensing in the crisp afternoon air. "What's a lit'l bett'n among frien's? I done pretty well onnat Boys High game yest'day." "I don' bet no moeh," insists Joe. "Ahhh, ya no fun," protests Krause. "If ya pal Pincus was heeh, I bet *he'd* bet wit' me." "T'ings is diff'nt now," sighs Joe. "I c'd get drafted any day now, y'know t'at? I gotta t'ink'a Sal an'na baby. Y'know, bein' a fawt'eh changes ya." He pauses to shoot a meaningful glance before adding, "You'll fin'nat out." Krause blinks and takes a draw on his cigar. "Neh," he exhales.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Nov_21__1943_(4).jpg

(AND RICKEY GETTING RID OF FITZ JUST WHEN HE WAS GETTING HIS GROOVE BACK DIDN"T HELP EITHER.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Nov_21__1943_(5).jpg

(Oh oh, get ready to get pushed off another cliff!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Nov_21__1943_(6).jpg

(There is a terrible statue of Miss Millay over in the next town, best described as looking like "Olive Oyl waiting for Popeye to return from the sea," and somehow I think she would have loved it.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Nov_21__1943_(7).jpg

(HEY SAILOR! Careful how you say that, hon!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Nov_21__1943_(8).jpg

(Ever notice whenever Fritzi dreams she dreams of Phil being an idiot? And I wonder how the tiger makes out on that deal?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Nov_21__1943_(9).jpg

(Yep, you'll be very popular in this town.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sun__Nov_21__1943_.jpg

"And his handsome pal." Just what are we trying to suggest, hmmmm?

Daily_News_Sun__Nov_21__1943_(1).jpg

Can't be much of a fire if LaGuardia doesn't show up.

Daily_News_Sun__Nov_21__1943_(4).jpg

"He won't laugh any more, I tell you what! Not when he sees my bill!"

Daily_News_Sun__Nov_21__1943_(5).jpg

Shouldn't have drunk all that Sterno at the bachelor party.

Daily_News_Sun__Nov_21__1943_(6).jpg

Gooneyville practices class solidarity! And "potzie?" THAT'S A GIRL'S GAME. Oh wait, you mean the badge. Well, I suppose that'd work, but I prefer a wad of safety pins.

Daily_News_Sun__Nov_21__1943_(7).jpg

Such language.

Daily_News_Sun__Nov_21__1943_(8).jpg

In 1943, "Karens" are called "Mamies." Well, they should've been. And Peter Pain is, alas, an old friend of mine.

Daily_News_Sun__Nov_21__1943_(9).jpg

I can get four or five months out of a permanent if I'm gentle with it. But it does wash out the dye. BETTER GET YOUR ROOTS TOUCHED UP.

Daily_News_Sun__Nov_21__1943_(10).jpg

All right kid, now's your chance.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
The world's extramarital arrows de Cupid are as lethal as shrapnel to hearts, minds, and bank accounts.

Now I pray Grett's ship makes out here and all but more than lives are staked this strip tease of Mr Caniff.
Should the best result occur Grett lass has accumulate Mary Poppins tab for the lads. Payable in tuppence.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Nov_22__1943_.jpg

("Oi told ye thaat boy was reckless," fumes Uncle Frank. "Ye never see MY boys mixed oop in sooch a situation as..." "That ye KNOW of," interrupts Ma, her arms folded and her face hard. "An' thaar's noo point in tossin' recriminations. What's doon is doon, an' now the respaaansibility is to see that we do roit by this wooman ahnnd me -- grandson." "If the roit thing was to be done," insists Uncle Frank, "it shood'a been done foive yarrs ago!" "If he haad'na gaaahn in the Army, it wood haave!" "He waasn't in the Army in 1938!" "Tharr's no need for us to argue aboot this, Francis," sighs Ma. "She haarself told me he was payin' harr twenty doolars a moonth roit up until that joodge sent him off to th' Army. An' then he sent her what he cood ooto'v what he aaarned aafter he went to caaamp. But becaause they waarn't married, the Arrmy don't recognoize harr as his nexta kin, so she got noothin' from tharr, an' they didn't even nootify harr when he was taaken prison'arr. She was woond'rin why she'd seen no money farr three moonths. Ohhh, Francis, it's an aaahrful situation, them livin' in a two-room flat with naught boot a coal stoove farr heat. An' they scarcely got any coal to barrrn in it." "Oi'll speak to the boys," sighs Uncle Frank. "Oi'll see she gets some coal. An' Oi'll have a warrd with McKinney at the Home Relief, see what else can be doon." "Oi have a bettar oidea," declares Ma. "Oi'm gonna give harr a job. Here. In the store. An' helpin' me oot arouund the hoose. I had thaat stroke, ye remembarr, who's to say I won't haave anoothar." "What aboot ye daughter?" challenges Uncle Frank. "Whaat aboot Joseph? What aare ye gonna tell them?" "Joseph will figure it out no maater what Oi tell 'im," nods Ma. "Aand he'll keep 'is mouth shoot. An' Sally, she sees onnnnly whaat she waants to see. Thar'll be no trooble thar." "Boot this boy," questions Uncle Frank. "A foive yarr old boy. We caan't have ANOOTHAR choild roonin' around hear, that Leonora, with harr readin' an' what not, she's trooble enough!" "Moind ye tongue, Francis," frowns Ma. "Oi'll manage the boy. You just get some coal ovarr there, an' Oi'll deal with the rest." "Oi've no doubt'a THAT," agrees Uncle Frank, pulling on his coat. "Oi've no doubt'a THAt at'all!")

Chinese Generalissimo Chiang Kai-Shek was expected by well-informed sources in Washington to figure in plans for an international war conference about which London dispatches have been hinting for a week, and which now have some official confirmation. The London reports indicated that an announcement may be expected soon of a meeting between President Roosevelt, Prime Minister Churchill, and Premier Stalin. Mr. Roosevelt is known to be anxious to meet Stalin in person, and it is said that he would also like to "talk things over" with Chiang. A Chinese delgate participated "obscurely" in the recent conference of foreign ministers in Moscow. The best information suggests that if Chiang is included in the coming discussions it will not be in the setting of a full-dress four-power conference, but that Roosevelt and Churchill would meet with Chiang at a separate location. This would be out of courtesy to Stalin, who, with the Soviet Union still technically at a precarious peace with Japan, would not care to disturb Soviet-Japanese relations at a time when his nation can ill afford a war on the Far Eastern front.

French efforts to restore peace to troubled Lebanon by releasing from custody President Beshara El-Khoury and members of his cabinet may snag on their failure to reinstate all five to office. Under a formula announced yesterday by the FrenchCommittee for French Liberation, only Khoury would be restored to his position, though all five have been released after nearly two weeks imprisonment for attempting to throw off French colonial control. Lebanese leaders have demanded that all five officials be restored to their former positions under threat of renewed rioting, and there was no immediate word from Beirut on whether they would be willing to accept a compromise.

The end of the "fireproof coal" racket appears to be in sight according to Mayor LaGuardia, who declared in his radio broadcast yesterday that his investigators have "now reached the bottom." Ninety percent of the charges of adulterated coal investigated by his men have proven to be justified, stated the Mayor, and in 249 cases "the matter has been settled to satisfaction by the dealers." He called for more stringent government inspection of all coal before it is allowed to leave the mines.

The Mayor made no comment or any reference at all to the twelve-minute talk by Republican leader Thomas J. Curran which preceded his WNYC broadcast, a talk given at the recommendation of Federal Communications Commission Chairman James L. Fly after the Mayor criticized the Republican Party for its role in the recent election to a county judgeship of Thomas Aurelio, known friend of underworld figure Frank Costello. Curran in his speech criticized the Mayor, and declared that "the real tragedy is that a man of the unassailable material honesty of Mayor LaGuardia cannot at the same time show a little intellectual honesty to match it."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Nov_22__1943_(1).jpg

(The Voice With A Scowl.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Nov_22__1943_(2).jpg

("I wisht I could cook," sighs Alice. "I neveh loint how, y'know. T'sistehs tried t'teach me when I was innat awrfphn'nasylum, but I neveh caught awn. One time I boint a chicken right down to a cindeh, anney hadda 'vacuate t'jernt f'm awla smoke. I made a run fawr'rit in awla confusion, but t'ey caught me." "Cookin' ain' hawrd," declares Sally. "Ya jus' loin' a few basic t'ings an'nen ya know how t'do whateveh else t'at comes up." "Meh," mehs Alice. "Lot easieh t'go t' Hawrn 'n Hawrdart. Let somebody else do t'cookin'. Awlt'ough, I know Siddy likes a home-cook meal. Why, one time he made one f'me. He op'n't up two cans'a chili an' heat'ed'm up onna toppa t'berleh, right inna basem'nneh, an' we set on boxes an' ate by t'fiehlight. Ain'nat roman'nic?" "Heartwarmin'," eyerolls Sally. "Yeh," nods Alice. "It was. But I took some Alkeh-Seltzeh afteh, fixed it right up.")

The Eagle Editorialst criticizes the deGaullist policy in Lebanon for its "heavy handedness" in attempting to crush the Lebanese independence movement by the arrest of its leading members. He points out the complete irrelevance at this stage of the war of the "French Empire," which at this point is hardly more real than that of Italy, and declares that "the United Nations cannot permit the policies of the French Committee of National Liberation to interfere in even the slightest degree with the prosecution of the war." Restoration of French imperial prestige may be important to deGaulle, "but they are not of first importance to the United Nations."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Nov_22__1943_(3).jpg

(Down in the basement of 1720 63rd Street, Krause the Super glances at Mr. Lichty's drawing, rubs his palm across his sweaty scalp, and tosses the paper into the furnace.)

In Hudson, N.Y., the 39-year-old wife of a Justice of the Peace is being held on first degree murder charges in connection with the death of her mother in law. Mrs. Ruth Simons was arrested after the body of 60-year-old Mrs. Beulah Simons was found buried in a haystack on her farm in the nearby town of Acram. Also held is 19-year-old farmhand Arthur Decker, who is charged with hacking Mrs. Simons to death with an axe at the instance of the victim's daughter in law.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Nov_22__1943_(4).jpg

(With seasons like this, pro football will never catch on.)

We're still waiting for word on what ever became of that picture, "Whistling in Brooklyn," that Red Skelton and his crew shot at Ebbets Field last spring. Such vanished Dodgers as Joe Medwick and Dolph Camilli shot scenes for the film, but the real attraction, if the picture is ever released, will be the sight of Luis Olmo done up in a luxuriant false beard.

Speaking of Mr. Medwick, the beefy outfielder, now with the Giants, has for the first time in his career taken an off-season job. Yussel the Muscle is now working in the Personnel Department at the Curtiss-Wright aircraft plant in St. Louis.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Nov_22__1943_(5).jpg

("Well yes, I'd say it is. It absolutely is.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Nov_22__1943_(6).jpg

("That snippy little creature!" Hey, what say we forget about boring old Mary and follow this gal for a while.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Nov_22__1943_(7).jpg

(CUTE KIDS.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Nov_22__1943_(8).jpg

(A job worth doing is worth doing well.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Nov_22__1943_(9).jpg

(HAPPY THANKSGIVING)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__Nov_22__1943_.jpg

Ahhh, the aaart of the theaaatah.

Daily_News_Mon__Nov_22__1943_(1).jpg

Mr. Kaltenborn is wearing a rug here. C'mon, Hans, it's radio!

Daily_News_Mon__Nov_22__1943_(2).jpg

Hey, that's good. Do the Kingfish next.

Daily_News_Mon__Nov_22__1943_(3).jpg

"Well, actually, I was really hoping for a breakfast nook..."

Daily_News_Mon__Nov_22__1943_(4).jpg

"Don't wake him up yet, I wanna roll him first..."

Daily_News_Mon__Nov_22__1943_(5).jpg

"All right, I'll put in another layer of cardboard. But it'll cost ya!"

Daily_News_Mon__Nov_22__1943_(6).jpg

Jozsef the Hungarian is on borrowed time.

Daily_News_Mon__Nov_22__1943_(7).jpg

So is Trisha.

Daily_News_Mon__Nov_22__1943_(8).jpg

Well, do you even HAVE any other friends?

Daily_News_Mon__Nov_22__1943_(9).jpg

And yet she graduated from high school in 1939. Oh Shadow, you're so gullible.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Nov_23__1943_.jpg

("Izzat what t'Awrmy's like?" frowns Joe. "Gen'rals goin' aroun' slappin' guys t'at's been shot? Who'see t'ink he is, Rommel a' sump'n?" "Shameful," declares Ma with a shake of her head. "Y'know," continues Joe, "Sal's got a book at home awlabout -- you r'membeh whenney had'dat Bonus Awrmy? Allem unemployed vet'rans an' awlat durin'a Depression? You remembeh t'at? Well, innis book Sal's got, it says t'is guy Patton was onna hawrse an' wen' chawrgin right in agains' t'ese guys. An' it was MacArt'eh tol'im t'do it. C'nya 'maginen'at? Sal says t'at's like bein' a Fascis' a' sump'n, an' when I go inna Awrmy, I betteh watch out f'gen'rals an' awlat, 'cause t'eh what she sez is 'tools a' capital," whateveh t'at means." "Ye really think ye gonna get drafted soon?" queries Ma. "I ain' got me reclassification yet, but I figgeh it's comin' any day now. T'ey had me inna poissonell awfice downa plant t'ot'eh day, ast me a buncha questions 'bout me job, an' what I do an' awlat. I ain' said nut'n t'Sal about it yet, but I know she's worried 'bout it. We been tawkin' 'bout what she's gonna do wit' Leonoreh when I ain' arouna house inna mawrnin'. You know t'ey said t'ey'd rat'eh we not put'eh inna noissery t'ey got out t' Sal's plant, t'ey she's disruptive. An' we do'wanna leave 'eh heeh wit'you awl day, what wit' you --- you know, havin'at stroke an' awl. So we dunno..." "Well, Joseph, fonny ye should mention thaat," interjects Ma. "Oi'm thinkin' a' takin' aaahn some help here inna store....")

Any hope of a last minute flood of turkeys appearing on the market today and tomorrow before Thursday's holiday was banished by Markets Commissioner Henry M. Brundage, who declared with finality that there aren't enough of the traditional Thanksgiving birds available for any dumping operations. With nine out of ten householders prevented by the scarcity from celebrating Thanksgiving in the old style, Brundage, waryy that frustrated gourmets would be tempted to buy turkeys at any price, assigned 50 department inspetors to see that ceilings are observed. An eye is being kept on such substitutes as chicken in the event that some merchants might take advantage of the turkey shortage by raising prices on other poultry.

(And if you soak up enough gravy with it, you'd never k
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Nov_23__1943_ (1).jpg
now it isn't turkey.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Nov_23__1943_ (3).jpg

(And once again, we have a winner. I wonder how much turkey you get for 75 cents?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Nov_23__1943_ (4).jpg

("You know what would really be savage, Herbert? A face full of hot turkey fat.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Nov_23__1943_ (5).jpg

("God was on the Packers' side." Ah, but did He beat the point spread?)

The fate of the Philadelphia Phillies franchise now that owner William Cox has been banished from baseball by Commissioner Landis looms as a significant uncertainty. Cox purchased the team last winter after the National League seized the franchise following the insolvency of former owner Gerry Nugent, and the ultimate disposition of the team now that Cox has been forced to step down as team president remains to be determined. Also in question is the future of Phils manager Freddie Fitzsimmons, hired by Cox last summer following the dismissal of Bucky Harris.

The Giants won't lose their shortstop/team captain to the draft after all. Bill Jurges, recently classified 1-A by his local board, was rejected yesterday after reporting for his physical examination. Somewhat surprisingly, the 4-F wasn't given for the lingering effects of his beaning by Bucky Walters of the Reds at the Polo Grounds in 1940, but because of an almost forgotten leg injury -- Jurges had broken his leg while playing for a Cubs farm club at Reading in 1929.

Johnny Vander Meer will be getting a second look from his draft board in Midland Park, New Jersey. The Reds fireballer had been classified 4-F in Septemeber, but he received notice this week that he is to report again for reclassification.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Nov_23__1943_ (6).jpg

(Love Will Find A Way.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Nov_23__1943_ (7).jpg

(If this is true, I'm in big trouble.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Nov_23__1943_ (8).jpg

("OH SHE HAS HAS SHE?" How did Ned Sparks miss out on this part?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Nov_23__1943_ (9).jpg

(There's nothing more romantic than a war marriage.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Nov_23__1943_ (10).jpg

(It's all a clever ruse. Trix is actually working for the ducks.)

I'd have to go back and check, but I think H&H or one of the Chinese restaurants have won every year. H&H's "mass production" model does give it a pricing advantage.

The "Grin and Bear It' husband got in a good shot today.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Tue__Nov_23__1943_.jpg

"Whassat buy us," sighs Sally. "A few mont's?" "I bet Mame G. would take Leonoreh,' suggests Alice. "She t'inks she's a cute kid." "She's awlso a han'ful," replies Sally. "Mrs. Ginsboig is too ol' t'handle'h. I dunno what we'eh gonna do whenney take Joe. I dunno what JOE's gonna do when'ney take 'im. You know as well as I do he ain'na soljeh type." "Maybe he'll get a 4-F," Alice counters. "Maybe he's got flat feet a'sump'n." "No," sighs Sally. "Joe is a lotta t'ings but I'll tell ya right now, he ain' no 4-F." "Ah," ahs Alice. "Ah," agrees Sally with an enigmatic smile.

Daily_News_Tue__Nov_23__1943_ (1).jpg

A January trial? Well now, something to look forward to.

Daily_News_Tue__Nov_23__1943_ (2).jpg

"I hate to sound ungrateful, but I was kind of hoping for hardwood floors..."

Daily_News_Tue__Nov_23__1943_ (3).jpg

Now do some sound effects! BRRRRRRRROOWWWWWW!

Daily_News_Tue__Nov_23__1943_ (4).jpg

Go easy on the ammo, now.

Daily_News_Tue__Nov_23__1943_ (5).jpg

"Oh, I suppose I can do this show. I have nothing better to do." -- Gypsy.

Daily_News_Tue__Nov_23__1943_ (6).jpg

"I dunno, he's got Ground Crew written all over him..."

Daily_News_Tue__Nov_23__1943_ (7).jpg

NOW WHO'S LAFFIN'?

Daily_News_Tue__Nov_23__1943_ (8).jpg

Poor poor Plushie. Denied even the slightest bit of joy.

Daily_News_Tue__Nov_23__1943_ (9).jpg

Never shoulda come home, kid.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Matrimonial and criminal law practice certainly appear dovetail specialties in the States.
And separating wheat out of the chaff wherein homicide and larceny are concerned a lucrative sub specialty.

Cordarre is simply tragic. The child whom he abused and slew, her parents' unimagined grief.
And his own mother's anguish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic