Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

Yep, Walt and Phyllis were married in 1926 when Skeezix was five years old, and it was quite an event. Phyllis moved into the neighborhood just after Walt found Skeezix as an infant on his doorstep, and very quickly ingratiated herself into the situation. Walt's alley friends were suspicious, but were proven wrong when it turned out that Phyllis knew the woman who dropped the baby on the doorstep -- and had gotten involved with Walt specifically to ensure he was taken care of.

There was more to it than that. Skeezix's birth mother was a famous European opera singer, Madame Octave, alongside whom Phyllis had served as an Army nurse during the war. His birth father was a famous wartime aviator named Colonel Coda, and when Coda left Madame Octave while she was carrying his child, she despaired and left the baby on Walt's doorstep. Later she reconsidered and sued Walt to try to get Skeezix back, but the court awarded custody to Walt -- who by then had married Phyllis -- and all seemed settled.

Still later it was revealed that Madame Octave wasn't just Phyllis's friend from the war -- they were blood sisters, making Phyllis Skeezix's real aunt as well as his adopted mother, and explaining just why she was hanging around him in his infancy.

Phyllis died in 2004, at the age of well over a hundred, but poor old Walt is still plugging along at 120+. In the Gasoline Alley universe he is the last surviving veteran of World War I and the oldest man in the United States.

Judy's real parentage, by the way, was never revealed. It wasn't uncommon for babies to be abandoned on the street during the Depression, and she just got lucky. She's still alive at 85, and ran a donut shop for many years, but was last seen in the strip at Phyllis's funeral.

Corky is still alive as well, and has been running a diner since 1950. Poor old man, still flipping burgers at 92.

"Gasoline Alley" still runs in the Daily News, but it's barely recognizable. It's on its second artist since Frank King died in 1969, and I doubt it'll make it to the third. But I heartily and emphatically recommend the "Walt and Skeezix" book series by Drawn and Quarterly in Canada -- which is gradually reprinting the entire King run of "Gasoline Alley" in volumes covering two years apiece. The books are not cheap, but they're a wonderful presentation of a brilliant piece of comic-strip storytelling. The series is now up to 1933-34 and the start of Skeezix's fumbling adolescence.

I think the deal with stories showing up in the News a day after the Eagle is that the Eagle, being an evening paper, gets the drop on anything that happens after about 2 pm, when the News puts its five-star final to bed. The earliest edition of the News -- the "pink" edition -- comes out about 9 pm the night before the masthead date, so occasionally it beats the evening papers on things that happen in the early evening hours.

Annie's hair standing on end in panel one there is one of the funniest things I've seen all month.

Thank you, great GA background. Took a second read to take it all in. "Madame Octave -" :).

And, yes, there were several movies about abandoned babies back then like "Bachelor Mother" from '39 (I think we saw it released in the theaters in last year's Day by Days) staring Ginger Rogers, David Niven and Charles Coburn, which is a fun, somewhat Christmasy movie:
bmmffltsrn.jpg

Re the Eagle vs the News getting stories: Makes sense, thank you.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Here's some original art from the storyline where Phyllis was first trying to figure out exactly what Walt knew about Skeezix's true origins. Skeez is a little over a year and a half old here. The expanded image is actual size.

King-Frank-GA-10-13-22.jpg
Walt is ahead of his time here in being careful to save the original packaging.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
An official statement by the Nazi high command now claims that German naval actions, presumably directed from Norwegian waters, have breached the British blockade. "Units of the German Navy can now operate on the high seas," says the statement, "without the English fleet being able to prevent the Germans from conducting the trade war in Atlantic and other waters." At the same time "responsible quarters" ridiculed the announcement of the British Admiralty that it had cut off Germany from the Atlantic by a mine belt from the Shetland Islands near the Norwegian coast to Greenland. The high command reported the sinking of 24,767 tons of "enemy cargo space" by one submarine, and claimed semi-officially that 40,000 tons of British shipping were damaged by German air force action alone.

Italy claimed tonight that it has eliminated Malta as a potential offensive threat after bombing a British Mediterranean battle fleet into three parts. Fascist sources also stated that the heavy bombardment of British air bases on the Mediterranean coast are preventing some 1300 British planes from being deployed against German raiders over the British Isles.

Assurance that the United States is being made independent from foreign sources of vital materiel for national defense was given today by the chairman of the Defense Advisory Commission. Former U. S. Steel Corporation chairman Edward L. Stettinius Jr. stated in the report that adequate supplies of such materials as rubber, aluminum, tin, and armor plate will be available as needed by defense industries. The report continued by stating that Government agencies as industry, with "full White House support," are "getting things done."

The entire Kings County Democratic Party delegation left for Chicago today, standing squarely behind a third term for President Roosevelt. The sixteen Brooklyn delegates and additional party leaders standing alongside County Democratic Chairman Frank V. Kelly, will support a first-ballot nomination for the President. The President himself is not expected to attend the convention.

A careful examination of a purported bomb found yesterday on the steps of a Jewish community center in Union City, New Jersey revealed that it was a "dud," and police have concluded that the device was either intended as "a warning," or as an elaborate hoax. Lieutenant James Pyke of the New York Police Department Bomb and Forgery Squad, who led a delegation to Union City to aid in the handling of the device, stated that it contained neither a battery nor an explosive charge -- but that it was clearly assembled by someone who understood the mechanical principles required to construct a working bomb. The device consisted of an alarm clock wired to a coil spring, and connected to, not dynamite, but a white building brick.

Bandleader Benny Goodman underwent surgery today at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota to relieve a protruded intervertebrale disc, a procedure commonly known as "a slipped disc operation." The swing favorite will be kept in the hospital for about two weeks.

A tall man with shaggy black hair will be arraigned tomorrow in Brooklyn Felony Court for the burglary of a bar and grill at 217 5th Avenue in Park Slope. Police charge that twenty-one-year-old George Hazen acted as a "Fagin" to a group of young boys whom he induced to commit robberies on his behalf by boosting them between the pried-open bars of windows in order to loot more than ten businesses in the section. Hazen was arrested Friday after police were informed by a passerby of a "tall, shaggy man" leading a group of boys out of an alley with a load of bundles.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_14__1940_.jpg

("Fifty bones!" says Joe. "Gimme a pencil!" "I can't!" says Sally. "Why not?" "'Cause I'm usin' it!")

Parks Commissioner Robert Moses has come out in opposition to a campaign to keep the World's Fair subway spur in regular operation after the Fair closes this fall. Residents of the area between Forest Hills and Flushing Meadow are calling for the Independent Subway extension to remain as a convenience for the future development of the Flushing-Hillcrest area, and they insist that keeping the spur running would be less expensive to the city than the cost of pulling up the tracks. But Commissioner Moses maintains that the spur loses money for the city even with the Fair in operation, and it would be an even greater liability on the books once the Fair is over.

The actual demolition work on the Fulton Street L is expected to begin this fall, but the Board of Transportation is taking steps to ensure that the work will not prove an impediment to the Christmas shopping season. Acting on the suggestion of downtown Brooklyn merchants, the Board is expected to begin the heavy work on outlying sections of the line such as Rockaway Avenue and Fulton Ferry rather than those areas where business activity is most concentrated. Officials say that because of "complex problems involved," it is unlikely the work of bringing down the L structure could begin any earlier than October.

The Eagle Editorialist says there's a reason why some have misgivings about the possibility of a third term for President Roosevelt, suggesting that it's understandable, given the situation in Europe, that some may feel that the abolition of the two-term tradition may be a step along the road to Fascism.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_14__1940_(1).jpg

($99 is out of Joe and Sally's league, even if Solly Pinkus pays off everything he's borrowed.)

The Dodgers and Reds split two at Crosley Field yesterday, with the Flock dropping the first game in a heartbreaker. The Reds led that game at one point 7 to 0, but the Dodgers picked up two runs in the seventh and the eighth, and then rallied in the ninth on the strentgh of a walk by Pee Wee Reese, singles by Charley Gilbert and Jimmy Wasdell, and a mammoth home run by Joe Medwick. That left the Brooklyns one run behind and nobody out -- but Paul Derringer wiped his forehead and retired the next three batters without further incident, and that was the end of that. But in the second game, Curt Davis held the Rhinelanders to a single run, and a double by Babe Phelps in the top of the ninth provided the margin of victory.

Reese got to play, despite Durocher starting at short, because Lippy was banished from the scene following an exchange of words with umpire Ziggy Sears over a base-running incident. The discussion proved a zesty one, with Sears summing up his argument with "You'll get ten days for this!" and "meet me after the game and say that!" For good measure, Sears also chased Dolph Camilli -- who wasn't even playing, but thought to add a few observations of his own from the safety of the Dodger bullpen.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_14__1940_(2).jpg

The Dodgers depart for Pittsburgh grateful for the end of their four-game losing streak, and that they are only a game and a half out of first place and not three and a half out.

The "boss of Bleeding France" gets the front of Trend this week --

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_14__1940_(3).jpg

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_14__1940_(4).jpg

(Big hits from 1934 and 1935 for drive-in movie fun. It's like if Davega ran a theatre.)

"The Catcher" writes in to the Old Timers page to remember the days when you had to chase horses off the field before you could play "base ball" under the old walnut tree at 52nd Street and 2nd Avenue. Remember the "South Brooklyn Young Stars," taking the field in uniforms made from the sails of Sir Thomas Lipton's famous yacht "The Shamrock?"

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_14__1940_(5).jpg
("How was your day, Red?" "Wallllll, lemme tell yuh...")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_14__1940_(7).jpg
(And now Dennie's all set to go after Clem Swiller's bunch of political thugs, while John sits on his can wondering how they got those *terrible* pictures.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_14__1940_(8).jpg
(Sure, Irwin's a boob, but the store dicks can't be very competent either if they don't notice four guys parading around in heavy overcoats in the middle of July.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_14__1940_(9).jpg
(That's the same kind of umbrella those guys on the sidewalk sell in Times Square.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News --

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_14__1940_.jpg
Artie is presently the bandleader on the Burns and Allen radio show, where he resents having to act as a comedy stooge. You do get the sense that he takes himself just a wee bit too seriously.

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_14__1940_(1).jpg

And if you don't have a uniform, why, there's a pawnshop close by that can help!

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_14__1940_(2).jpg
One unfortunate sign of the modern decline of the print media is that it's getting harder and harder to find discarded newspapers to read in the station or on the train.

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_14__1940_(3).jpg
Um, I don't think this is how massive bone trauma really works.

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_14__1940_(4).jpg
Science fiction is not represented in any of the strips we follow, so it's good to get a chance to have a sci-fi story. But I wasn't expecting "The Gumps" to be the strip that does one, or that Napoleon with a ray gun would be the villian. Too bad Mama's not along for this trip.

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_14__1940_(5).jpg
Kayo is a remarkably strong six-year-old, especially for his size, and I fear he will need every ounce of that strength in the life that awaits him.

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_14__1940_(6).jpg
Yeah, the Invader picked up that trick from the British.

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_14__1940_(7).jpg
Fat Beezie there is the neighborhood rich kid, son of Covina's most prominent banker/businessman. So you got to respect him for being out there hustling for pocket change. Either that or his old man disinherited him for hanging out with the riff raff.

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_14__1940_(8).jpg
This is what happens when you let your kids read "Dan Dunn."

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_14__1940_(9).jpg
"Slug" huh? A member of Nick's far-flung organization?

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_14__1940_.jpg
("Fifty bones!" says Joe. "Gimme a pencil!" "I can't!" says Sally. "Why not?" "'Cause I'm usin' it!")...

Of the two, I'd say Sally has a better chance, but both of them are too Dodgers bias to approach it rationally.

.. The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_14__1940_(1).jpg
($99 is out of Joe and Sally's league, even if Solly Pinkus pays off everything he's borrowed.)...

Even if they could afford it, I doubt Joe and Sally would be particularly excited about planing another "Dodgers" vacation after how the Boys played for their recent day-excursion to Boston.

.... For good measure, Sears also chased Dolph Camilli -- who wasn't even playing, but thought to add a few observations of his own from the safety of the Dodger bullpen....

"Observations -" nicely put Eagle writer.

... View attachment 247050
(Big hits from 1934 and 1935 for drive-in movie fun. It's like if Davega ran a theatre.)...

:)

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_14__1940_(8).jpg
(Sure, Irwin's a boob, but the store dicks can't be very competent either if they don't notice four guys parading around in heavy overcoats in the middle of July.)...

Why resign just cause he's getting married? Also, no need to resign, if he keeps handling this case as well as he is, the department should take care of that decision for him.

...[ The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_14__1940_(9)-2.jpg (That's the same kind of umbrella those guys on the sidewalk sell in Times Square.)

New Yorkers have a complex relationship with their umbrellas. Everyone has his or her own strategy - from buy often, but very cheap at the moment of need so that you don't have to carry one or worry about it, to invest in a really good one as it will be more economical in the long run than buying a bunch of cheap ones.

And there are all sorts of variations of those plays - own an okay one for when you know you'll need it, but always keep a few cheap ones around so you can toss it if the weather improves or if the weather looks so bad you don't want to risk your "good" one. And on it goes.

Also, the discussions about who has the "best value" of the cheaper ones - Duane Reade vs "the subway guy" on 53rd vs the "Korean" grocery on 89th etc. - can absorb many hours of conversation. And let's not even get into the games played around promotional or company umbrellas - some people need an entire closet for the number of those they, umm, have "acquired."

As noted, it's a complex or, more likely, a stupid and insane relationship.

View attachment 247055 Artie is presently the bandleader on the Burns and Allen radio show, where he resents having to act as a comedy stooge. You do get the sense that he takes himself just a wee bit too seriously....

Re Shaw and Turner: below are the boxscores on these two lovebrids' marriage records (16 annulments and divorces combined):

Shaw
Evelyn Keyes (1957 - 1985) ( divorced)
Doris Dowling (19 June 1952 - 16 April 1956) ( divorced) ( 1 child)
Kathleen Winsor (28 October 1946 - 3 December 1948) ( annulled)
Ava Gardner (17 October 1945 - 25 October 1946) ( divorced)
Elizabeth "Betty" Jane Kern (3 March 1942 - 10 October 1945) ( divorced) ( 1 child)
Lana Turner (13 February 1940 - 12 September 1940) ( divorced)
Margaret Allen (16 August 1934 - 1937) ( divorced)
Jane Cairns (1932 - 1932) ( annulled)

Turner
Ronald Dante (9 May 1969 - 26 January 1972) ( divorced)
Robert P. Eaton (22 June 1965 - 1 April 1969) ( divorced)
Frederick May (27 November 1960 - 15 October 1962) ( divorced)
Lex Barker (8 September 1953 - 22 July 1957) ( divorced)
Henry J. Topping, Jr. (26 April 1948 - 12 December 1952) ( divorced)
Stephen Crane (14 March 1943 - 21 August 1944) ( divorced) ( 1 child)
Stephen Crane (17 July 1942 - 4 February 1943) ( annulled)
Artie Shaw (13 February 1940 - 12 September 1940) ( divorced)

Re the the fight to the death: yes and sadly, if it is as we think, Mr. Fischer is guilty of murder, but in cosmic terms, Lee Dills is far from innocent.

And no surprise, there will be many film-noir plots that pivot around one woman pitting two men against each other.

For example, in 1949's "Criss Cross" (comments here: #27595)

She ........................................⇩
tumblr_phz0j0eBhS1usvc2io1_1280.jpg

drives both of these men ⇩ to jealous rages that end in murder.
CrissCross.jpg

... View attachment 247057
And if you don't have a uniform, why, there's a pawnshop close by that can help!...

And yes, there is a movie where a WWI "hero" actually buys his "captured" German souvenirs from a NYC pawnshop after he returns from his non-combat role in France. In "I Want You" form 1951 (comments here: #27718), the scene when the "hero's" wife finally calls him on it is gut-wrenching and memorable.

...[ Daily_News_Sun__Jul_14__1940_(2)-2.jpg One unfortunate sign of the modern decline of the print media is that it's getting harder and harder to find discarded newspapers to read in the station or on the train....

So much is true here. I've stood there frantically checking every pocket I have seven times for my monthly pass as the thought of paying again is way more agonizing than the actual one-way, one-time fare in question. In truth though, I was pretty careful and it only happened two or three times and, each time, I was lucky that there was a regular conductor working the car who knew me and let it go. I doubt they even allow them to do that anymore, but I don't know as my train-commuting days ended in my early 20s in the '80s.

... Daily_News_Sun__Jul_14__1940_(3).jpg Um, I don't think this is how massive bone trauma really works....

One, why won't she get the chair? Two, Fat Freddie still feels some sympathy. And, three, while the policewoman looks like she knows her business, one arm handcuffed is not enough.

... Daily_News_Sun__Jul_14__1940_(9)-2.jpg "Slug" huh? A member of Nick's far-flung organization?

Our modern-world view has me insanely suspicious.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_15__1940_.jpg

The Democratic National Convention is underway today in Chicago, with President Roosevelt standing by in Washington to accept the nomination for a third term, expected to be offered to him by acclamation. Although the President has no plans to attend the convention in person, a direct wire from the convention floor to the White House has been installed for the President's use. This morning, Chicago mayor Edward J. Kelly, leader of the draft-Roosevelt drive in the host city, took the rostrum at Chicago Stadium to whip up the delegates. Although there is a scattering of delegate support for such candidates as Postmaster General James Farley, Vice President John Garner, and Senator Burton K. Wheeler, there is no doubt now that the President will be easily renominated on the first ballot.

Twenty-three persons, most of them women, were injured today when two trolley cars collided at the intersection of Lafayette Avenue and Fulton Street, shattering windows and sending more than sixty-five passengers tumbling into the aisles. The accident occured when the Fulton Street car jumped a switch, turned onto Lafayette, and crashed head-on with an oncoming Putnam Avenue car. Ambulances rushed to the scene as a BMT work crew pulled the Fulton Street car, which had been derailed, back onto the track. A nearby real-estate office was set up as a field hospital to treat the injuries, many of which resulted from flying glass fragments. A Board of Transportation investigation is underway.

Reports from Rome state that Italy and Germany will present an ultimatum to Great Britian within the next few days offering the choice between immediate surrender and destruction. Those reports come as authorized German sources stated that London will be considered "a legitimate military target" in view of announced British plans to defend the capital city "street by street." The question was raised in a speech in the House of Commons by Prime Minister Winston Churchill, in which he stated that Britons would rather see London in ashes than fall to an invasion force.

Two more firms have pleaded guilty in the Amen Office's ongoing investigation of contract fraud in the Brooklyn paving industry. The Brooklyn Alcatraz Asphalt Paving Company and the Pomonok Asphalt Paving and Material Company pleaded guilty today to all charges brought against them for conspiring with nine other corporations and eight individuals in rigging bids on city contracts, and for contributing to a $25,000 slush fund maintained to pay bribes to city officials.

An escaped chimp is rampaging thru Green-Wood Cemetery today after startling housewives around Windsor Terrace. Mrs. Marie Hagan of 42 Seeley Street opened her front door around 8:30 this morning to see the ape standing on the steps. The monk went on a spree thru the neighborhood, swinging from a 50-foot peach tree as Mrs. Peter Corrigan of 40 Selley Street tried to lure him down by offering him a bunch of bananas. Police were summoned, but at their approach, the ape scurried across McDonald Street and into the cemetery where, at press time, the pursuit continues. In the confusion, Mrs. Corrigan reported that neighborhood kids ate the bananas.

A box found in Prospect Park yesterday marked "Bomb -- Danger!" was revealed today as having contained nothing but mud. The box was discovered about 3:35 PM yesterday by Patrolman Harry Rosenstock of the Coney Island Precinct, who was walking in the park with his wife and children. Patrolman Rosenstock immersed the box in a pail of water before opening it to discover the mud inside. A crowd of three thousand persons gathered as Rosenstock and Patrolman Herman Baier of the Prospect Park Precinct inspected the parcel.

Because of the sudden increase in bomb threats in the city, the Police Department has reorganized the Bomb and Forgery Squad into a dedicated Bomb Squad. Hereafter forgery investigations will be handled by the Main Office.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_15__1940_(1).jpg

(Looks like somebody overstocked on huckleberries.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_15__1940_(2).jpg
(Who does your mascara there, Coop?)

This week at the REFRESHINGLY COOL Patio, it's Eddie Cantor in "Forty Little Mothers," and Ray Milland in "French Without Tears."

The Eagle Editorialist is deeply offended by a letter from a reader proposing to question Wendell Willkie's fitness to run for President due to his German ancestry, and points out that German immigrants and their descendants have always been known for their industry and their loyalty to America. (You can understand why Mr. Schroth should take this personally.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_15__1940_(3).jpg

(In the Country of the Bald, the one-haired man is king.)

The tallest man in the world has died at the age of 22 as a result of an infected ankle injury. Robert Wadlow, the 8-foot 9 1/2 inch giant from Alton, Illinois, had been hospitalized in Michigan for two weeks after he injured his ankle while making a personal appearance on behalf of a shoe manufacturer at the National Forest Festival. Doctors administered blood transfusions and performed a surgical operation on his foot in a vain attempt to save his life.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_15__1940_(4).jpg

Fat Freddy Fitzsimmons celebrated with a cold bottle of pop yesterday as the stout and stylish knuckleballer won his 200th career victory with a 2-0 shutout of the Pirates in game two of yesterday's twinbill at Forbes Field. Fitz had to settle for soda, since Pittsburgh blue laws disallow the sale of alcoholic drinks on Sunday, but he was smiling nonetheless as his teammates presented him with a solid gold tie chain to mark the occasion. Fitzsimmons upped his season record to 8-1, surpassing his record for 1939, and even though he's only a spot starter, he leads the Brooklyn staff in victories.

The Dodgers weren't so fortunate in the first game, falling to the Bucs 6-2 as blooper-balling Rip Sewell held them to six hits. Luke Hamlin, who hasn't won a game in a month, was unsteady in a losing effort, and threw a home-run ball to Sewell, who was just as surprised as anyone when it flew over the wall.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_15__1940_(5).jpg

The split yesterday drops the Dodgers to 2 1/2 games behind the Reds in the National League pennant chance. Today, the Flock continues to make up games lost to rain in April with another doubleheader against the Pirates. Tot Presnell and Tex Carleton will start for Brooklyn against Max Butcher and Bob Klinger for Pittsburgh.

The Bushwicks swept the Black Yankees 5-1 and 10-9 out at Dexter Park. Solly Mishkin went seven for nine over the two games to pace the Bushwicks' attack.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_15__1940_(6).jpg
(Where's Abe Frosch when you need him?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_15__1940_(7).jpg
(Hey, at least they're wholesome blackmailers.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_15__1940_(8).jpg
(The Duchess needs to stop wearing a stovelid for a hat. It's crushing her cranium.)

View attachment 247302
The Democratic National Convention is underway today in Chicago, with President Roosevelt standing by in Washington to accept the nomination for a third term, expected to be offered to him by acclamation. Although the President has no plans to attend the convention in person, a direct wire from the convention floor to the White House has been installed for the President's use. This morning, Chicago mayor Edward J. Kelly, leader of the draft-Roosevelt drive in the host city, took the rostrum at Chicago Stadium to whip up the delegates. Although there is a scattering of delegate support for such candidates as Postmaster General James Farley, Vice President John Garner, and Senator Burton K. Wheeler, there is no doubt now that the President will be easily renominated on the first ballot....

Any idea if that "direct wire" was a telegraph wire or a phone line (sounds like a telegraph wire, but a phone line might have made more sense)?

...An escaped chimp is rampaging thru Green-Wood Cemetery today after startling housewives around Windsor Terrace. Mrs. Marie Hagan of 42 Seeley Street opened her front door around 8:30 this morning to see the ape standing on the steps. The monk went on a spree thru the neighborhood, swinging from a 50-foot peach tree as Mrs. Peter Corrigan of 40 Selley Street tried to lure him down by offering him a bunch of bananas. Police were summoned, but at their approach, the ape scurried across McDonald Street and into the cemetery where, at press time, the pursuit continues. In the confusion, Mrs. Corrigan reported that neighborhood kids ate the bananas....

Maybe he'll run into Tootsie and the two of them can stay on the lam together.

View attachment 247302 ...A box found in Prospect Park yesterday marked "Bomb -- Danger!" was revealed today as having contained nothing but mud. The box was discovered about 3:35 PM yesterday by Patrolman Harry Rosenstock of the Coney Island Precinct, who was walking in the park with his wife and children. Patrolman Rosenstock immersed the box in a pail of water before opening it to discover the mud inside. A crowd of three thousand persons gathered as Rosenstock and Patrolman Herman Baier of the Prospect Park Precinct inspected the parcel.

Because of the sudden increase in bomb threats in the city, the Police Department has reorganized the Bomb and Forgery Squad into a dedicated Bomb Squad. Hereafter forgery investigations will be handled by the Main Office....

It seems that policeman, while perhaps heroic, wasn't following guidance given recently on proper police procedure to address a potential bomb situation.

And, good move, the Bomb Squad-Forgery kludge never sounded like a logical fit.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_15__1940_(1).jpg
(Looks like somebody overstocked on huckleberries.)...

Indeed, but as long as the icing-to-cake ratio is high, I'm a go on a huckleberry cupcake (says the guy who's never had a huckleberry anything). Also, I'm already excited about crumb-bun Thursday.

...The Eagle Editorialist is deeply offended by a letter from a reader proposing to question Wendell Willkie's fitness to run for President due to his German ancestry, and points out that German immigrants and their descendants have always been known for their industry and their loyalty to America. (You can understand why Mr. Schroth should take this personally.)...

My dad's family came from Germany in the 1880s (best guess) and told stories of anti-German racism in America that got amplified during both World Wars (even though family members also fought for America in both of them). They also loved this country for the opportunity it gave them. We'll have a lot to unpack if correcting all past sins is our mission.

.. The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_15__1940_(4).jpg

Fat Freddy Fitzsimmons celebrated with a cold bottle of pop yesterday as the stout and stylish knuckleballer won his 200th career victory with a 2-0 shutout of the Pirates in game two of yesterday's twinbill at Forbes Field. Fitz had to settle for soda, since Pittsburgh blue laws disallow the sale of alcoholic drinks on Sunday, but he was smiling nonetheless as his teammates presented him with a solid gold tie chain to mark the occasion. Fitzsimmons upped his season record to 8-1, surpassing his record for 1939, and even though he's only a spot starter, he leads the Brooklyn staff in victories....

Reading the Eagle's account, Mr. Fitzsimmons, somewhat optimistically, noted to himself that "stout" is better than "fat." When you're finding victory in less-offensive adjectives, you know you've lost the bigger battle.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_15__1940_(6).jpg (Where's Abe Frosch when you need him?)...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_15__1940_.jpg
Great pics of the rescue, but I wanna see the dog!

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_15__1940_(1).jpg

You've got to be careful when screening secretarial applicants in Hong Kong.

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_15__1940_(2).jpg

Awwwwwwwwwwwww.

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_15__1940_(3).jpg
Sure, kid, get in a truck with a random stranger.

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_15__1940_(4).jpg
Goatee of Evil? Check. Cigarette Holder of Evil? Check. Turban of Evil? Check. Pay the dry-cleaning bill, Tracy, or else.

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_15__1940_(5).jpg
For a guy who was sued twice for breach of promise before he finally went thru with getting married, Bim sure is a romantic.

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_15__1940_(6).jpg
Walt and Skeezix aren't blood related, but somehow they have exactly the same cowlick. That has always bothered me.

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_15__1940_(7).jpg
So does the story she told Raven square with the story she told Connie?

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_15__1940_(9).jpg
I'll sure be glad when Black Stereotype Month is over. It does get wearisome.

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_15__1940_(10).jpg
"Gentlemen, I demand an explanation!"

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_15__1940_(2).jpg
Awwwwwwwwwwwww...

... Daily_News_Mon__Jul_15__1940_(3).jpg Sure, kid, get in a truck with a random stranger....

Note similar comment yesterday - this would never fly in today's world.

... View attachment 247330 Goatee of Evil? Check. Cigarette Holder of Evil? Check. Turban of Evil? Check. Pay the dry-cleaning bill, Tracy, or else.

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_15__1940_(4).jpg For a guy who was sued twice for breach of promise before he finally went thru with getting married, Bim sure is a romantic....

How freakin' perfect would it have been had the woman had her back to us when Tracy spilled the drink, then, still with her back to us, the woman imperiously demands payment for the ruined dress, then, we meet her escort, goatee-of-evil man, and, then, the woman turns around and it's...wait for it...Senga.

.... Daily_News_Mon__Jul_15__1940_(5).jpg For a guy who was sued twice for breach of promise before he finally went thru with getting married, Bim sure is a romantic....

Do as I say, not as I do.

Also, poets and lyricists have not missed the "two hearts beating as one" metaphor:

(One of many examples)

Two Hearts Beat As One
U2

I don't know
I don't know which side I'm on
I don't know my right from left
Or my right from wrong
Say I'm a fool
Say I'm nothing
But if I'm a fool for you
Oh, that's something
Two hearts beat as one
Two hearts beat as one
Two hearts
I can't stop the dance
Honey, this is my last chance
I said, can't stop the dance
Maybe this is my last chance
Two hearts beat as one
Two hearts beat as one
Two hearts
Beat on black, beat on white
Beat on everything don't get it right
Beat on you, beat on me, beat on love
I don't know
How to say what's got to be said
I don't know if it's black or white
There's others see it red
I don't get the answers right
I'll leave that to you
Is this love out of fashion
Or is it the time of year
Are these words distraction?
To the words you want to hear
Two hearts beat as one
Two hearts beat as one
I try to spit it out
I try to explain
The way I feel
Oh, yeah
Two hearts
I can't stop the dance
I said I can't stop the dance
I said don't stop the dance
I said I can't stop the dance
Maybe this is our last chance
I said don't stop the dance
Maybe this is our last chance, oh oh

Haversack

One Too Many
Indeed, but as long as the icing-to-cake ratio is high, I'm a go on a huckleberry cupcake (says the guy who's never had a huckleberry anything).

If you are ever out Portland, Oregon way, head out east on Hwy 26 towards Mount Hood. In the town of Government Camp is the Huckleberry Inn. Besides being a lodge catering to skiers, the diner there serves a variety of Huckleberry dishes: Pie, Milkshakes, Pancakes. They apparently no longer make the Huckleberry Strudel that I remember from back in the late '80s.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A possible anti-third term move at the Democratic National Convention is being spearheaded by Senator Burton K. Wheeler of Montana, who is pushing for the addition of such a plank to the party platform, as the conventions moves into its second day at Chicago Stadium. Wheeler, himself a candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination, also has the support of Senator Pat McCarran of Nebraska who stated that he doesn't know if the plank will actually be formally proposed, but if it is, he says he will back it. Senator Wheeler declared that he was opposed to a third term back in 1928, when a movement surfaced to draft then-President Calvin Coolidge, and endorsed at that time the LaFollette Resolution by the Senate coming out in formal disapproval of such a move. Says Wheeler, "I haven't changed my position."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jul_16__1940_.jpg

Despite such movements, however, the renomination of the President is viewed as a near-certainty by most observers at the convention, and Secretary of Labor Frances Perkins openly forecast that renomination before a meeting of several thousand convention women. But there is still much controversy over who will take second place on the ticket, with Postmaster General James Farley, chairman of the convention, and a frustrated Presidential candidate himself, backing Federal Loan Administrator Jesse Jones for the vice-presidential nomination. The President himself, who is not at the convention, but is monitoring proceedings by a direct telephone wire to the White House, is known to favor Secretary of State Cordell Hull for the position, and yesterday conferred with Hull for more than three hours in an effort to induce him to accept that nomination. Hull is believed to prefer to remain in his current job, but it is reported that if "convinced that it was his duty," he would accede to the President's wishes.

Brooklyn's delegation to the Democratic National Convention is in a state of high anticipation, not merely due to the history-making Presidential politics unfolding before them, but also due to the incipient arrival of the Dodgers in the Windy City. Amidst talk among the local delegation of placing Leo Durocher's name in nomination for the Presidency, convention delegates were laying plans to meet and greet the Flock tomorrow upon its arrival in Chicago for its series against the Cubs.

Diplomatic circles in Rome today heard that Adolf Hitler is preparing to make a "last three-point offer of peace" to Great Britain before taking steps toward a "devastating attack" on the British Isles. Diplomatic reports from Berlin suggest that Hitler may outline his proposal in a speech to the Reichstag within the next three days.

Meanwhile, a French newspaper reports that diplomatic quarters in Switzerland have heard that the invasion force of more than 600,000 Nazi troops has been held back from the planned assault on Britain by internal disputes among the German High Command. It is anticipated in Swiss quarters, however, that the invasion could begin as early as this Friday night.

The chimpanzee that led police and animal-welfare officers on a merry chase thru Windsor Terrace yesterday is still at large, having found conditions to his liking at Green-Wood Cemetery, where he seems ready to set up housekeeping. The ape, christened "Windsor" by his pursuers, decided this morning to have breakfast with the cemetery caretaker and his family, calling at their front door to receive a meal of bananas, oranges, and plums. Windsor did not care for the white bread, however, and angrily tore it into small pieces and threw it back. The marauding monk first appeared in the neighborhood yesterday, when caught in the act of stealing a bottle of milk off a Seeley Street doorstep, but there is no indication as yet of how it is that Windsor happens to be on the loose.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jul_16__1940_(1).jpg
("Whattaya think?" asks Sally. "Neh," says Joe. "It's no good. I owe th' ice man two bucks. He'd think I wuz tryin' ta duck 'im." "Howcum you owin' th' ice man two bucks?" scowls Sally. "I bet 'im," stammers Joe. "I bet him two bucks we'd never get Medwick. Lass winta. How wuz I ta know? That MacPhail. It's all his fault. Let him pay th' two bucks." )

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jul_16__1940_(2).jpg

(Among all broadcasters of the Era, Red Barber was unique in that he refused to use any sort of sound effects or practice any sort of concealment of reality when he was doing a telegraphic recreation of a road game -- he insisted that the microphone be placed near the ticker, to make sure his listeners knew he wasn't actually at the game. He considered tricking up recreations to be a violation of a reporter's journalistic integrity.)

Helen Worth is back from her vactation in time to dive right into Ruth S. N.'s dilemma -- her husband's mother is "clever and scheming" when it comes to getting her own way, and she has come to know of a number of "underhanded dealings" she has used in order to manipulate events in her own favor. Ruth says this is bad enough, but she is now attempting to interfere with Ruth's children, and that is a bridge too far. And now, mother-in-law is ill and is demanding to be taken into her son's home. What to do? Helen says DON'T EVEN CONSIDER HAVING THIS WOMAN LIVE WITH YOU. Pay whatever it takes to keep this from happening and consider it money well spent.

Ona Munson you used to know for her work on the musical comedy stage. But her role as Belle Watling in "Gone With The Wind" is her bridge to a new career as a straight actress, and her success in that role has left her a bit angry with reporters who chatter about her "comeback." She doesn't feel that she's ever been away -- having spent most of the year before GWTW working regularly in radio, especially on such prestigious broadcasts as "The March of Time" and "The Cavalcade Of America." Those roles proved to her that she could act -- and act well -- without the need of song-and-dance accompaniment.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jul_16__1940_(3).jpg

(Well, good, Ona, but gee whiz. Fourth billed in a B-western is kind of a comedown from "Gone With The Wind.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jul_16__1940_(4).jpg

(I can't remember -- has Mr. Lichty *ever* drawn an adult male with a full head of hair?)

Just after Pirates manager Frankie Frisch complimented Pee Wee Reese's acumen on the base paths, the fast-moving Dodger rookie got picked off second with two out in the ninth, bringing an abrupt end to a Brooklyn rally and handing the final game of yesterday's doubleheader at Forbes Field to the Pirates, 4-3. Adding insult to injury, Ducky Medwick was at the plate, and the potential winning run was standing on first base. Sharp-eyed Pirate catcher Al Lopez spotted Pee Wee taking just too long a lead, and flashed a quick signal to second baseman Frankie Gustine that a pitchout was coming. It came, and in the blink of an eye, Reese had egg on his face and humiliation in his heart.

That loss took a bit of the fun out of the first game, where the Dodgers breezed to an easy 10-1 win on the strength of Whit Wyatt's arm. Tot Presnell had been slated to go in the opener, but when Wyatt arrived at the ballpark just before 1 pm, freshly returned from visiting his newborn son back home in Georgia, Durocher asked him if he was ready to go, and when the answer came in the affirmative, out he went. Wyatt held the Pirates scoreless until the eighth, after having scarcely even had time to get his uniform on before the game started. As if his pitching performance wasn't gaudy enough, Whitlow rapped a long home run over the left field wall in the ninth, after rapping a double and a single in prior at-bats.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jul_16__1940_(5).jpg

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jul_16__1940_(6).jpg
(You can't say this story isn't true to life...)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jul_16__1940_(7).jpg
(I still don't trust Mr. Luke Screed, and neither should John. But we all know how cagey and insightful John is.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jul_16__1940_(8).jpg

(Better step lively, Dan -- they're already measuring Irwin for his torture chair.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_16__1940_.jpg
Yeah, it's sweet and sentimental now, but wait'll they try to give that puppy a bath in the kitchen sink....

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_16__1940_(1).jpg

Somewhere in Green-Wood Cemetery, Windsor the Chimp wonders where he could get a pocket full of nickels, if he had a pocket.

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_16__1940_(2).jpg

And Mr. Jemail went home that night with a spring in his step unable to banish Miss Ann Harris of W 137th Street from his thoughts.

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_16__1940_(3).jpg

A child psychologist would have a field day with the sudden appearance of quotation marks around "Uncle" and "Auntie."

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_16__1940_(4).jpg
Hm. That shadowy figure appears to be Pat, or someone wearing Pat's jacket.

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_16__1940_(5).jpg
An insight into Tracy's private life I wasn't expecting to get.

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_16__1940_(6).jpg
So, Tilda, how'd it go again with your truck driver?

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_16__1940_(7).jpg
Gonna come clean with her, Skeez? Because, you know, her father and all...

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_16__1940_(8).jpg
The rapidly shifting expressions between panels three and four are beautifully done.

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_16__1940_(9).jpg
Odds that Shadow loses his entire bankroll to crooked sidewalk characters before sunset now running at 2-1.

...The President himself, who is not at the convention, but is monitoring proceedings by a direct telephone wire to the White House...

Thank you.

...The chimpanzee that led police and animal-welfare officers on a merry chase thru Windsor Terrace yesterday is still at large, having found conditions to his liking at Green-Wood Cemetery, where he seems ready to set up housekeeping. The ape, christened "Windsor" by his pursuers, decided this morning to have breakfast with the cemetery caretaker and his family, calling at their front door to receive a meal of bananas, oranges, and plums. Windsor did not care for the white bread, however, and angrily tore it into small pieces and threw it back. The marauding monk first appeared in the neighborhood yesterday, when caught in the act of stealing a bottle of milk off a Seeley Street doorstep, but there is no indication as yet of how it is that Windsor happens to be on the loose....

It would be interesting to see what our finicky chimp thinks about Childs' 55 cent meal. And considering his apparent dislike of carbohydrates (maybe he's on that diet), I'd like to see his reaction to Childs' famous muffins.

.. The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jul_16__1940_(1).jpg ("Whattaya think?" asks Sally. "Neh," says Joe. "It's no good. I owe th' ice man two bucks. He'd think I wuz tryin' ta duck 'im." "Howcum you owin' th' ice man two bucks?" scowls Sally. "I bet 'im," stammers Joe. "I bet him two bucks we'd never get Medwick. Lass winta. How wuz I ta know? That MacPhail. It's all his fault. Let him pay th' two bucks." )...

I'm sure they could find something similar (older, sketchier) and cheaper at Devega.

And Joe needs to up his gambling skills: first the dice game and now this.

... View attachment 247523
(Among all broadcasters of the Era, Red Barber was unique in that he refused to use any sort of sound effects or practice any sort of concealment of reality when he was doing a telegraphic recreation of a road game -- he insisted that the microphone be placed near the ticker, to make sure his listeners knew he wasn't actually at the game. He considered tricking up recreations to be a violation of a reporter's journalistic integrity.)...

I know MLB discussed using "simulated" crowd noises for its broadcasts of the crowd-less pandemic games (if MLB actually has some sort of rump season this year). That said, I don't know what MLB ultimately decided on doing re the "crowd noise."

...Helen Worth is back from her vactation in time to dive right into Ruth S. N.'s dilemma -- her husband's mother is "clever and scheming" when it comes to getting her own way, and she has come to know of a number of "underhanded dealings" she has used in order to manipulate events in her own favor. Ruth says this is bad enough, but she is now attempting to interfere with Ruth's children, and that is a bridge too far. And now, mother-in-law is ill and is demanding to be taken into her son's home. What to do? Helen says DON'T EVEN CONSIDER HAVING THIS WOMAN LIVE WITH YOU. Pay whatever it takes to keep this from happening and consider it money well spent....)

Good advice, but only if you have the money - that is usually the challenge.

... View attachment 247530
(Well, good, Ona, but gee whiz. Fourth billed in a B-western is kind of a comedown from "Gone With The Wind.")...

:) Noticed that as well. Sometimes life offers irony up on a platter.

(I can't remember -- has Mr. Lichty *ever* drawn an adult male with a full head of hair?)...

Seriously, what's his deal with bald heads? We'll have to keep an eye out for this. And again, the guy himself seemed to have a full head of hair (unless it was a toupee he was wearing in the pic).

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jul_16__1940_(6).jpg (You can't say this story isn't true to life...)...

After a way-too-long and boring slog, this storyline is finally picking up.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jul_16__1940_(7).jpg (I still don't trust Mr. Luke Screed, and neither should John. But we all know how cagey and insightful John is.)...

Agreed on Screed, but in this case, he gave John spot-on advice: tell Leona now, right now, before it comes out. Today, that pic would already be trending on Twitter.

... Daily_News_Tue__Jul_16__1940_(1).jpg
Somewhere in Green-Wood Cemetery, Windsor the Chimp wonders where he could get a pocket full of nickels, if he had a pocket....

He seems more of an "opportunistic" grab-&-go Chimp.

I guess if the pies don't sell well, we'll be seeing peach cupcakes next Tuesday.

...[ Daily_News_Tue__Jul_16__1940_(2).jpg
And Mr. Jemail went home that night with a spring in his step unable to banish Miss Ann Harris of W 137th Street from his thoughts.....

:) Despite her protests, you never know, there could be a follow-up story here. Regardless, her response argues he certainly perked up when she answered the question - "come again?." Or she could always give this guy a call:
51z5fSlI2QL._AC_.jpg

...[ Daily_News_Tue__Jul_16__1940_(4).jpg Hm. That shadowy figure appears to be Pat, or someone wearing Pat's jacket.....

Looks to be, but whoever it is, panel four is film-noir perfect.

.. Daily_News_Tue__Jul_16__1940_(5).jpg An insight into Tracy's private life I wasn't expecting to get....

God I hope not, I don't need those thoughts and images in my head. I think he smells a scam and that's all it is about (please dear God).

...[ Daily_News_Tue__Jul_16__1940_(6).jpg So, Tilda, how'd it go again with your truck driver?...

Panel four went seriously dark. As you say, "hey kiddies, comics!"

... Daily_News_Tue__Jul_16__1940_(7).jpg Gonna come clean with her, Skeez? Because, you know, her father and all......

The artwork today is a little awkward / not up to King's usual standards.

... View attachment 247549 Odds that Shadow loses his entire bankroll to crooked sidewalk characters before sunset now running at 2-1.

LittleMarlowe

New in Town
Hello, everyone. I don't mean to interrupt, but I'd just like to say one thing. One of my most favorite things to do is to read old newspapers and comics and re-read them and keep up with the stories and all. I'm beyond thrilled that there's an entire website/forum dedicated to the very thing I do all day! This is amazing! :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Welcome to Brooklyn USA, 1940. A place where Murder-for-Hire and escaped chimpanzees run rampant, but all life revolves around the Dodgers. Where you can go to Davega to buy anything you didn't know you needed, where the pie at the Automat won't stop talking, where George Bungle lives his life in an existential hellscape four flights up, and where Joe Punchclock sits with his feet in the oven wondering who's giving the best odds on the election.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Democratic National Committee chairman James Farley today issued a sharp rebuke to the convention faction pushing for the nomination of President Roosevelt for a third term by acclamation, emphasizing that any attempt by third-termers to close the convention floor to other nominees could "wreck the party's chances" to win in November. Farley himself is a declared candidate for the nomination, and intends to ensure, as party chairman, that his name is placed in nomination. "I can't imagine anyone being so silly," declared Farley, "as to prevent all the names from being nominated. I am sure that the President wouldn't want that done. Nothing should be done to create the impression that this is not a free and open convention."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jul_17__1940_.jpg

Meanwhile, President Roosevelt delivered a statement by proxy during last night's keynote speech by Senator Alben W. Barkley, with the Senator relaying the President's message that he has "no desire to be a candidate" in 1940. That statement is seen as a tacit endorsement of the "draft Roosevelt" movement and as a signal for that movement to take the necessary steps on the convention floor to ensure that the President is renominated.

Brooklyn's convention delegation deserted Chicago Stadium early today to greet the Dodgers with a large banner as they arrived in the Windy City to begin a series against the Cubs at Wrigley Field. One such delegate, Borough President John Cashmore, telephoned Dodger road secretary John McDonald as soon as the team arrived at its hotel to make arrangements to provide at least seventy-five box seats for the use of the Brooklyn delegation during the series. County Democratic leader Frank Kelly is expected to lead the local delegation's cheering section at the ballpark if he can be spared from his duties on the convention floor.

Japan today announced an agreement with Great Britain to close the Burma Road, in a continuing effort to cut off all supply routes to the Chinese Government at Chungking. A spokesman for the Japanese Foreign Office stressed that the agreement between the Japanese Government and Britain is "no concern of the United States." The agreement also bars the routing of arms shipments, trucks, or gasoline to China by way of Hong Kong, and will permit Japanese consular authorities in Hong Kong and Rangoon to remain in contact with British authorites to ensure that these provisions are observed.

German bombers today resumed daylight raids over Britain in apparent retailation for continuing RAF sorties over Germany, the Low Countries, and France. British anti-aircraft guns have downed three Nazi planes in the last twenty-four hours, and a fourth is believed to have gone down over southwest England during the night.

A forty-four-year-old Astoria man pleaded guilty to Federal drug charges after police found fifty-four grains of heroin hidden in his wife's handbag. Walter R. Haslam of 30-59 33rd Street will be sentenced on Friday by Federal Judge Robert A. Inch. Haslam admitted that he hid the narcotic in his wife's purse to avoid detection when they were stopped and arrested by police on June 18th.

A twenty-year-old welterweight boxer is dead following a bout last night in Long Island City. Pete Asero of 315 E. 25th Street in Manhattan had just defeated his opponent, Pete Muscanera of Williamsburg at the Queensboro Arena, when he collapsed and died in the ring before medical aid could reach him. Authorities believe Asero may have suffered a heart attack. Investigators made it clear that no action is contemplated against Muscanera. Asero is believed to the first and only boxer in the city in memory to have actually died in the ring.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jul_17__1940_(3).jpg

A mural of the American Flag shaped like the United States will be removed from display at the World's Fair after a complaint that the mural is "a desecration." The mural was part of an exhibit at the American Bureau of Medical Aid to China's pavilion, and came under fire last month from a group called "American Women Against Communism, Inc." That organization wrote a letter to Fair President Harvey D. Gibson calling the map an "insult to the Flag," and Gibson responded by pointing out that the organization itself features an image of the Flag on its letterhead, in spite of the fact that the use of the Flag on letterheads or other advertising matter is prohibited under the U. S. Flag Code. The Larchmont-based United States Flag Association then joined the controversy, threatening "drastic action" against the pavilion unless the mural was removed. The director of the Bureau, Bruno Schwartz, stated today that his organization has no wish to offend anyone, and promised the thirteen-foot by seven-foot artwork would be painted over.

R. D. writes to Helen Worth wanting to know of any good sports for a woman over forty. Helen says tennis is probably too strenuous at that age, but golf, swimming, bowling, bicycling, and horseback riding should be fine.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jul_17__1940_(1).jpg

("Childs Sets A Good Table.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jul_17__1940_(2).jpg

(The Packard Spitfire -- Ask The Man Who Owns One.)

"New Pins and Needles," the current edition of the Labor Stage musical revue put on by members of the International Ladies Garment Workers Union, begins its national tour with a week-long stop at the Brighton Theatre, complete with its Broadway cast of seamstresses and cutters, its sharp-edged social satires by Joseph Schrank, and the sparkling, witty melodies of composer Harold Rome. The old favorite tunes "Sunday In The Park," "Nobody Makes A Pass At Me," "Sing Me A Song Of Social Significance," and "One Big Union For Two" are all accounted for along with more recent additions to the show like the Odettsian parody "Paradise Mislaid," and the ribald "Bertha The Sewing Machine Girl -- Or, It's Better With A Union Man."

The Dodgers need to get back down to business when they take on the Cubs this afternoon at Wrigley Field, because their weak performance so far on the current western tour has cost them dearly in the race for the National League pennant. The Flock is now three and a half games behind the Reds, the furthest they've lagged all season, and they desperately need to regain lost ground if the Reds are to be kept from running away with the flag. Losing three games out of five to the Pirates did not show the Brooklyns to their best advantage. Yesterday's 5-3 loss to the Pirates to close out that series featured a duplication of the picked-off-second bumble that cost the Dodgers Monday's game, with Babe Phelps, no callow rookie, the hapless victim. The bases were loaded at the time of the fatal pitchout, and there can be no excuse for the Dodgers failing to keep a hawk eye on Pirate catcher Al Lopez after what he did to Pee Wee Reese the day before.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jul_17__1940_(4).jpg

Curt Davis, who has performed well since joining the Dodgers from St. Louis last month, will be the likely starter in the first game of the Chicago set today. Hugh Casey is still not ready to pitch, but he will be in uniform today and may be fit to go later this week. Dolph Camilli is also not quite ready to return to action as he continues to recuperate from being run over by Buddy Hassett in Boston last week.

One-armed outfielder Pete Gray is hitting .455 for the Bay Parkways, and will be the focus of attention when the Parkways meet the Bushwicks tonight at Dexter Park. Gray, who was the Parkways' MVP in 1939, swings a powerful left-handed bat.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jul_17__1940_(5).jpg
(Why not just leave well enough alone? Oh, I keep forgetting, that isn't the Bungle way.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jul_17__1940_(6).jpg
(Cousin Sue and Ted! I was just wondering how they were doing. Certainly -- ah -- better than Leona...)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jul_17__1940_(7).jpg
("AS SOON AS I CAN GET A CLUE." He said it, not me.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Wed__Jul_17__1940_.jpg
What a depressing page, except for "The Neighbors."

Daily_News_Wed__Jul_17__1940_(1).jpg
One of those kids, Doug, will grow up to play major league ball himself. Over an eight-year career he will attain a lifetime batting average of .199. Sometimes it takes more than just Wheaties.

Daily_News_Wed__Jul_17__1940_(2).jpg

That's good. Now let's talk about your inability to form lasting emotional bonds with others.

Daily_News_Wed__Jul_17__1940_(3).jpg
Some cartoonists make gratuitous cheesecake seem effortless -- Milton Caniff, Carl Ed, Dale Connor. Others should never attempt it -- Norman Marsh, Harold Gray, Chester Gould.

Daily_News_Wed__Jul_17__1940_(4).jpg
"Is that a gun in your hand, or are you just unhappy to see me?"

Daily_News_Wed__Jul_17__1940_(5).jpg
I never had an older brother, but I imagine Skeezix is a pretty good example of one.

Daily_News_Wed__Jul_17__1940_(6).jpg
Looks like they moved into Harold's old room. Good thing Senga's gone.

Daily_News_Wed__Jul_17__1940_(7).jpg
Moon could solve all of his problems by just settling down to what he's good at. The Sears catalog desperately needs male sportswear models.

Daily_News_Wed__Jul_17__1940_(8).jpg
And he was never seen or heard from again.

...Brooklyn's convention delegation deserted Chicago Stadium early today to greet the Dodgers with a large banner as they arrived in the Windy City to begin a series against the Cubs at Wrigley Field. One such delegate, Borough President John Cashmore, telephoned Dodger road secretary John McDonald as soon as the team arrived at its hotel to make arrangements to provide at least seventy-five box seats for the use of the Brooklyn delegation during the series. County Democratic leader Frank Kelly is expected to lead the local delegation's cheering section at the ballpark if he can be spared from his duties on the convention floor....

Who pays for these seats - the Dodgers, the Brooklyn delegation? If the former, is it a campaign contribution? If the latter, do the contributors to the Party know that their hard-earned dollars (say Joe and Sally's) are being spent on this? Or, and I doubt this, do the delegates pay out of their own pocket?

I get that stuff like this was the norm back then - and plenty still goes on now - but at least in Corporate America today, the review process - having legal and compliance approve and document this stuff - is crazy complicated.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jul_17__1940_(2).jpg
(The Packard Spitfire -- Ask The Man Who Owns One.)...

Again, not a full head of hair in sight. Even the guys with caps on look bald.

... Losing three games out of five to the Pirates did not show the Brooklyns to their best advantage. Yesterday's 5-3 loss to the Pirates to close out that series featured a duplication of the picked-off-second bumble that cost the Dodgers Monday's game, with Babe Phelps, no callow rookie, the hapless victim. The bases were loaded at the time of the fatal pitchout, and there can be no excuse for the Dodgers failing to keep a hawk eye on Pirate catcher Al Lopez after what he did to Pee Wee Reese the day before....

Exciting play regardless. But this is serious now. The only baseball we have this year is rooting for the 1940 Dodgers - they have to make the postseason.

... Dolph Camilli is also not quite ready to return to action as he continues to recuperate from being run over by Buddy Hassett in Boston last week....

We need a pic or more description or something of the most-violent collision to ever happen and not be discussed in detail at first base.

.. The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jul_17__1940_(5).jpg (Why not just leave well enough alone? Oh, I keep forgetting, that isn't the Bungle way.)...

And let's not forget we have some elephant and estate issues unsettled as well. First, the owner of not-Tootsie will come calling at some point. Second, Tootsie is still out there somewhere. And, three, the estate pivots on Tootsie dying a natural death. Right now, it looks like not-Tootsie died a not-natural death. All this is going to be hard to untangle.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jul_17__1940_(6).jpg (Cousin Sue and Ted! I was just wondering how they were doing. Certainly -- ah -- better than Leona...)...

While John didn't do anything wrong regarding his marriage, Leona should use this as an excuse to get out now. She might even be able to finagle an annulment - it's not been that long - to keep her record clean. John's not a bad guy, but Leona is too smart to be married to him and life is too long to go through it married to a dope.

... Daily_News_Wed__Jul_17__1940_-2.jpg What a depressing page, except for "The Neighbors."...

Yes it is.

The Stewart-Cupiolo story is far from over.

... Daily_News_Wed__Jul_17__1940_(1).jpg One of those kids, Doug, will grow up to play major league ball himself. Over an eight-year career he will attain a lifetime batting average of .199. Sometimes it takes more than just Wheaties.....

I assume that pic was taken before the worst collision ever at first base happened.

... Daily_News_Wed__Jul_17__1940_(2).jpg
That's good. Now let's talk about your inability to form lasting emotional bonds with others.....

"They don't need us if you can't kick in with your end o' th' load, anybody's got a lot o' crust spectin' to move in an/ be one o' th' family."

Man, great wording ("lot o' crust" :)) and, separately, impressive for a kid her age to, not only have learned that lesson, but to appreciate its morality.

... Daily_News_Wed__Jul_17__1940_(3).jpg Some cartoonists make gratuitous cheesecake seem effortless -- Milton Caniff, Carl Ed, Dale Connor. Others should never attempt it -- Norman Marsh, Harold Gray, Chester Gould.....

Agreed on the cheesecake - that's awkward. Caniff, Ed and Connor have done some really impressive cheesecake considering the medium they are working in: Think April falling out or her dress, Leona in the club or anything Senga.

It looks like Tracy already gave them the money - rookie mistake if he did.

And our prisoner would have already taken a swing at the policewoman by now.

... Daily_News_Wed__Jul_17__1940_(8).jpg And he was never seen or heard from again.

QED

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I imagine that Mr. Cashmore (the best name for a politician that ever was), as borough president, has a "discretionary fund" of some kind that allows for this sort of thing. Or maybe it's just an "understanding" with the Dodger office. Every visiting club is alloted a bloc of tickets by the host team to dispose of as they wish, so if Mr. McDonald cared, in the interest of good civic relations, to make a gift of the tickets to the Brooklyn delegation, I'm sure everyone back on Montague Street would understand.

Babe Phelps, a man who willingly answers to the name of "Blimp," should under no circumstances be taking big leads. Durocher needs to have a remedial baserunning class.

John has been a sap ever since he first showed up, and I thought it was ridiculous that Leona married him instantaneously "on the rebound" from Ted. Watch her try to stir something up on that front -- and see where Sue puts her. None of this can end well. No wonder Mary and Bill never got married.

Dolph Camilli is another example of how the Dodgers have the best-looking infield in the National League, if Durocher isn't playing, and allowing for Reese being a kid. I hope Hassett didn't mess him up too bad.

I have a feeling who ever is connected to that arm putting the drop on Pat is someone we haven't seen before. Blaze wouldn't need to resort to such methods, Singh-Singh has no business in Hong Kong, and Cue-Ball, as far as we know, is defunct. Unless it's Terry, finally overwhelmed with jealousy and taken leave of his senses.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Secretary of Agriculture Henry A. Wallace -- a one-time Republican -- is President Roosevelt's choice for vice-presidential running mate in 1940.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jul_18__1940_.jpg

The announcement was made by Florida Senator Claude Pepper, who emerged today from the Chicago hotel room of Secretary of Commerce Harry A. Hopkins, where the matter of a running mate had been under intense discussion among party leaders. Both Secretary Hopkins and Senator Jimmy Byrnes of South Carolina had been touch with the President himself via direct telephone wire to the White House. Wallace was tapped as the President's running mate after Byrnes withdrew himself from consideration for the position. Secretary of State Cordell Hull, widely reported to have been the President's first choice, flatly refused to be considered.

Meanwhile, the President himself will address the convention -- and the nation -- by radio direct from the White House, tonight at 10 PM. The President, who is at this hour awaiting official notification from the convention floor of his renomination by the Democratic Party, is expected to give his "yes" or "no" answer to his being drafted as a candidate, and is expected to be preceded in his remarks by a brief speech by the First Lady, Mrs. Eleanor Roosevelt.

With the renomination of the President for a third term expected today, a prominent Democratic senator has announced he will bolt the party and endorse Republican candidate Wendell Willkie. Senator Edward R. Burke of Nebraska has been a prominent critic of the President in recent years, and has been an outspoken opponent of a third term for Mr. Roosevelt. The Senator is also an intimate friend of Vice President John N. Garner, who was dropped from the party ticket after making an unsuccessful run for the Presidency.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jul_18__1940_(1).jpg

A five year old Midwood boy was killed yesterday afternoon when he stepped on the exposed third rail of the BMT's Brighton Line. Richard Allison had climbed an embankment behind the Avenue M station to retrieve a ball, and was killed instantly by 600 volts of direct current when he fell off the embankment and landed on the rail. The accident has rekindled debate over safety on the line, with the boy's death only the latest in a series of third-rail accidents dating back decades. The Avenue M area is especially vulnerable to such accidents, with the area frequented by large numbers of unsupervised children who are easily capable of penetrating the insufficient barriers along the tracks. The executive secretary of the Flatbush Chamber of Commerce declared today that his organization will do all that it can to aid the outraged parents of the Midwood neighborhood in seeing that something is done to protect children from this hazard. Officials of the BMT state that they have done "everything possible" to keep children off the track embankment, and believe that the current "picket fence" is an adequate barrier. But they also note that the Long Island Rail Road is responsible for maintenance of the east side of the right of way, and the BMT has no say in enforcing security on that side of the line.

Organizers of a ceremony marking the first anniversary of the disappearance of crusading longshoremen's union activist Peter Panto have asked District Attorney William O'Dwyer to provide police protection, out of concern that mobsters might attempt to disrupt the event. Peter Mazzle, a union member who has taken Panto's place as leader of the rank-and-file opposition to mob infiltration of the labor organization, signed the request after he was assaulted by racket goons during a meeting several weeks ago. The ceremony is to be held tomorrow at 8 PM at the VFW Hall, 385 Union Street. Representative Vito Marcantonio and Rev. Edward F. Swanstrom of the Brooklyn Catholic Charities will be the principal speakers, with Mazzle serving as chairman.

Boxing fans flooded the National Broadcasting Company's switchboards with complaints last night when coverage of the Democratic National Convention pre-empted the scheduled broadcast of the bout between Henry Armstrong and Lew Jenkins from the Polo Grounds. The fight broadcast was scheduled to begin at 10 PM, but the network declined to cut away from the convention until Senator Robert Wagner had completed reading the Democratic Party platform. The Senator finally concluded his remarks at the very moment Jenkins failed to come out for the seventh round of the fight, giving the victory to Armstrong.

Bob Hope is at the top of his form in "Ghost Breakers," now showing at the Brooklyn Paramount. Herbert Cohn calls the film "hilarious nonsense," and a worthy followup to last year's "Cat And The Canary," in which Mr. Hope first turned his talents to the investigation of supernatural spooks. Paulette Goddard again co-stars with Hope, and additional fun arrives in the person of Willie Best, appearing as Hope's Rochester-like valet.

At the AIR COOLED Patio, see James Cagney and Ann Sheridan in "Torrid Zone," accompanied by Baby Sandy in "Sandy Is A Lady."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jul_18__1940_(2).jpg

(Whoa! Not one but TWO guys with hair, but I bet they're both wearing rugs.)

Pee Wee Reese faced Jake Mooty yesterday for the first time since his beaning June 1st, and smacked the first pitch he saw into center field for a clean single. That should put an end to any talk that the rookie shortstop has been left plate-shy by the skulling, and the base hit led to the Dodgers' first run of the day when Reese took second on a passed ball and then scored on a base hit by Ducky Medwick. Final score, Brooklyn 2, Chicago 1 -- but with the Reds also victorious in their game against Boston, the Flock remains 3 1/2 games out of first. Luke Hamlin got the win, giving him his first victory in over a month.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jul_18__1940_(3).jpg

Brooklyn's delegation to the Democratic National Convention whooped it up in grand style out at Wrigley Field yesterday, prominently displayed in box seats along the first-base side. "Our slogan," declared Borough President John Cashmore, "is 'A Dodger Pennant in October -- and a Democratic landslide in November!'"

Today, Curt Davis goes for the Dodgers against Big Bill Lee for the Cubs.

The cream of Brooklyn's semipro teams will face the most dominant squad in Negro baseball in the third annual M. B. A. Hospitalization Fund benefit game, tonight at Erasmus Field. Joe Press, manager of the Bushwicks, and Harry Hesse, pilot of the Bay Parkways, will jointly manage the All Star squad against the fearsome Baltimore Elite Giants, defending champions of the Negro National League.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jul_18__1940_(4).jpg
(It's the landlord. "Bad enough you turn my place into a menagerie, bringing low elephants around, but now you're a jailbird too? OUT YOU GO!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jul_18__1940_(5).jpg
(And Mary has just described the exact plot of "John's Other Wife," a rather dopey radio soap opera riding a crest of popularity in the summer of 1940. Maybe you should tune in sometime, John, and pick up some pointers.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jul_18__1940_(6).jpg
("Dan Dunn, Phantom of Disguise!" He gets a lot of mileage out of that moustache he ordered out of the Johnson-Smith catalogue.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points