Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Thu__Jul_18__1940_.jpg
That's actually one of the best Dali pastiches I've ever seen. The clips from "Ferdinand the Bull" are a nice touch.

Daily_News_Thu__Jul_18__1940_(1).jpg
"Champagne taste on beer budget!" Yeah, and I suppose that's Miss Rheingold?

Daily_News_Thu__Jul_18__1940_(2).jpg

So the News is for FDR and the Eagle will undoubtedly endorse Willkie. Let the chips fall....

Daily_News_Thu__Jul_18__1940_(3).jpg
Oh please let this be a "bomb" storyline.

Daily_News_Thu__Jul_18__1940_(4).jpg
Well now aren't you just the high-handed cop. "Fourth Amendment? Never heard of it."

Daily_News_Thu__Jul_18__1940_(5).jpg
Oh, Terry, say what you really mean.

Daily_News_Thu__Jul_18__1940_(6).jpg
Yeah, wait'll you see the roaches under the sink.

Daily_News_Thu__Jul_18__1940_(7).jpg
"Yeah, Eugene got me reading Havelock Ellis. He's got a lot to say about polyamory."

Daily_News_Thu__Jul_18__1940_(8).jpg
C'mon, kid. You've got almost a whole year's experience working in a butcher shop. You mean this is the best you can do?

Daily_News_Thu__Jul_18__1940_(9).jpg
Seriously? 85 cents for supper? What, Moon, you think you're too good for Childs?

...Boxing fans flooded the National Broadcasting Company's switchboards with complaints last night when coverage of the Democratic National Convention pre-empted the scheduled broadcast of the bout between Henry Armstrong and Lew Jenkins from the Polo Grounds. The fight broadcast was scheduled to begin at 10 PM, but the network declined to cut away from the convention until Senator Robert Wagner had completed reading the Democratic Party platform. The Senator finally concluded his remarks at the very moment Jenkins failed to come out for the seventh round of the fight, giving the victory to Armstrong....

An early indication of the value that sports broadcasting would become. Also, it has a faint pre-echo of the Heidi Bowl:

From Wikipedia:The Heidi Game or Heidi Bowl is the name given to a 1968 American Football League (AFL) game between the Oakland Raiders and the visiting New York Jets. The contest, held on November 17, 1968, was notable for its exciting finish, in which Oakland scored two touchdowns in the final minute to win the game 43–32.[1][2] However, a decision by the game's television broadcaster NBC to break away from its coverage on the East Coast to broadcast the television film Heidi resulted in many viewers missing the Raiders' comeback

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jul_18__1940_(2).jpg
(Whoa! Not one but TWO guys with hair, but I bet they're both wearing rugs.)...

Heck, I was so surprised that I almost forgot to read the punchline.

....Today, Curt Davis goes for the Dodgers against Big Bill Lee for the Cubs....

And, in front of his locker, sits our good friend Freddie Fitzsimmons who, while reading the Eagle, can be heard muttering to himself, "Big, now that's a good adjective." Poor Freddie.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jul_18__1940_(5).jpg (And Mary has just described the exact plot of "John's Other Wife," a rather dopey radio soap opera riding a crest of popularity in the summer of 1940. Maybe you should tune in sometime, John, and pick up some pointers.)...

Also, while a bit different in this case, you can see a hint of an early version of the jealousy many an "office wife" has cause the real wife (it works the same with office husbands).

...[ The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jul_18__1940_(6).jpg ("Dan Dunn, Phantom of Disguise!" He gets a lot of mileage out of that moustache he ordered out of the Johnson-Smith catalogue.)

I'm having a hard time understanding the "scale" of this racket. It seems like a lot of people involved in stealing just a handful of suits each time, which then have to be fenced, probably, for well-less-than fifty cents on the dollar. I can understand robbing a warehouse or even the store of all/most of its inventory via a break-in, but this "few suits at a time" seems inefficient and unprofitable.

... Daily_News_Thu__Jul_18__1940_.jpg That's actually one of the best Dali pastiches I've ever seen. The clips from "Ferdinand the Bull" are a nice touch....

Re the horrible Stewart story: There's more to come out in this one.

Re the Neighbors: "I refuse to join any club which would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

Re the Clerk and the Forger: Kudos to the clerk, hoping on the running board and then punching the guy out is a scene out of the movies. And seriously Mr Forger, the day your parole was up!?

Also, 120 E 86th, the original destination for the groceries, is still there. Years back, I had a friend who rented an apartment in that building. Built in 1920, it was a nice, bright - wonderful Northern light - apartment (small, but so are most NYC apartments).
4789.jpg

.. Daily_News_Thu__Jul_18__1940_(1).jpg "Champagne taste on beer budget!" Yeah, and I suppose that's Miss Rheingold?...

First time I remember Bloomingdale's advertising in the Eagle.

Clearly the name had changed from "Bloomingdale Brothers" to "Bloomingdale's" by 1940. You can still see the original name and the original combined-townhouses store today (it's right across the street from the big Bloomingdale's store). It's a very cool step back in time. I'll snap a pic next time I'm down in the area. This pic must be older as the townhouse stores are looking a bit shabby now.

https://ephemeralnewyork.wordpress.com/2019/05/13/the-1868-rowhouses-built-into-bloomingdales/

bloomingdalesrowhouses.jpeg

... View attachment 247950
So the News is for FDR and the Eagle will undoubtedly endorse Willkie. Let the chips fall.......

Not as exciting as the Dodgers 1940 pennant run as I truly don't know how that turned out.

... Daily_News_Thu__Jul_18__1940_(7).jpg "Yeah, Eugene got me reading Havelock Ellis. He's got a lot to say about polyamory."...

Back then, the "college boy" thing was a big deal. Nina's no fool, she knows exactly what to do to make Skeezix jealous.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I can't imagine there's any connection between this hokey racket in "Dan Dunn" and the fact that Tracy seems now to be starting a storyline about some kind of clothing-related scam. Maybe they're two legs of the same pair of pants, so to speak, and we'll be subjected to thirteen weeks of bickering over jurisdiction.

I remember watching "Heidi" the night of that game -- it was a big deal, we'd been looking forward to it for weeks, and were annoyed when they ran a crawl across the screen announcing the outcome of the football game. I mean, it wasn't like it was baseball or anything...

And speaking of which, we're so focused on the National League race here that there's been little mention of what's going on in the American League. Get a load of that race -- and remember that the whole "Cleveland players try to overthrow their manager" thing is still simmering. A lot has been written about how great the 1941 season was, but 1940 has to be right up there.

I can't imagine there's any connection between this hokey racket in "Dan Dunn" and the fact that Tracy seems now to be starting a storyline about some kind of clothing-related scam. Maybe they're two legs of the same pair of pants, so to speak, and we'll be subjected to thirteen weeks of bickering over jurisdiction.

I remember watching "Heidi" the night of that game -- it was a big deal, we'd been looking forward to it for weeks, and were annoyed when they ran a crawl across the screen announcing the outcome of the football game. I mean, it wasn't like it was baseball or anything...

And speaking of which, we're so focused on the National League race here that there's been little mention of what's going on in the American League. Get a load of that race -- and remember that the whole "Cleveland players try to overthrow their manager" thing is still simmering. A lot has been written about how great the 1941 season was, but 1940 has to be right up there.

Since both Dunn and Tracy have a corrupt-dress angle, it is possible something - some dress "ring" or something like that - was in the news. It's clear these guys, appropriately IMHO, often crib their storylines from the headlines, so no surprise.

I have a vague memory of the event - which I admit might be from hearing the story and not really remembering it - but my father was none too pleased when they broke away to Heidi. He still complained about it twenty years later.

I'm just glad I don't remember who won in '40, so the Dodgers effort has some of the fun of a "live" season for me.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Adolf Hitler today warned Great Britain that it faces "an attack with all the forces at the command of the Axis Powers" if it rejects his latest "appeal to reason." In a speech to the German Reichstag, the Nazi fuehrer declared that it has never been his objective to "destroy the British Empire," and that his two cardinal aims in foreign policy have been "friendship with Britain and with Italy." Hitler went on to predict that Prime Minister Winston Churchill will flee to Canada in the face of the coming German invasion of Britain.

Meanwhile, two British merchant ships have been sunk in the region of the West Indies by a German raider "known to be at large in the Atlantic." The area where the ships were destroyed is well within the formal Neutrality Zone laid down by a conference of 21 American nations.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Jul_19__1940_.jpg

Following the nomination of the Roosevelt-Wallace ticket, Brooklyn's delegation to the Democratic National Convention is back home, without direct comment on the convention proceedings, or the chances of the party ticket in the fall election. As the delegates alighted from their train at 10:15 this morning, Kings County Democratic leader Frank V. Kelly brushed aside reporters' questions, stating only that answers will have to wait until the local Party Committee has had a chance to meet and formally ratify the ticket. However, Borough President John Cashmore, who attended the convention as an observer, did not hesitate to predict that the Roosevelt-Wallace ticket will sweep to victory in November. "It'll be a landslide!" Cashmore declared.

In accepting the nomination in a radio speech last night, the President stated that he had "hoped earnestly to avoid" running for a third term, but he accepted the decision of the Democratic Party to draft him as its candidate due to the current global crisis. In accepting the draft, he declared that he will not personally campaign for reelection, confining his remarks during the campaign season to occasional newspaper interviews and radio speeches intended to refute "deliberate or unwitting falsifications of fact which are sometimes made by political candidates." The President spoke from the oval diplomatic cloakroom on the ground floor of the White House, with his remarks relayed to the convention floor in Chicago by direct wire.

A balloonist based at Lakehurst Naval Air Station triggered a mild panic in Westchester early this morning, when he was spotted soaring low over Briarcliff Manor. Lieutenant Willard M. Hanger was flying the balloon when it became caught in strong wind currents and blew off its specified course. Briarcliff Manor resident Gus Durham fly over the village barely forty feet above the roof of the local garage, and notified police that a "parachuting fifth columnist" was rampant in the area. Rumors quickly began to circulate that saboteurs were on their way to destroy the Croton Dam, key to New York City's water supply, and authorities milled in the streets in an attempt to foil the invasion. Meanwhile, Lt. Hanger decided that it was simply too windy to continue his flight, and let the balloon down without further incident. The pilot and his two assistants deflated the bag and made arrangements to transport it back to Lakehurst.

A campaign to prevent Brooklyn Christian Front leader John F. Cassidy from gaining membership at the bar has been launched by former city magistrate Joseph Goldstien. Cassidy was one of nine defendants recently dismissed in the Christian Front seditious conspiracy trial, and Cassidy has resumed his efforts toward certification as an attorney. Goldstien, who recently instituted the lawsuit that kept Bertrand Russell from a position on the faculty of City College, has asked the character committee of the Brooklyn Bar Association to allow him to present evidence against Cassidy when that body considers Cassidy's application for admission.

Mothers in Midwood are organizing a campaign to have a heavy, stout fence built along the BMT right of way as a memorial to Richard Allison, the five-year-old boy who was killed in a third-rail accident while playing along the rail embankment. The mothers are circulating a petition thruout the neighborhood demanding that action be taken by the city to build such a fence, replacing the current sketchy iron-and-concrete picket fence thru which anyone could easily pass. City Councilman Edward Vogel endorsed the petition campaign, calling the section of right-of-way near the Avenue M station on the Brighton Line "Death Avenue" for the number of fatal third-rail accidents it has seen over the years.

Brooklyn's night life just got a bit swankier with the opening of the new Blue Sky Bar Lounge atop the Hotel Pierrepoint. The ultra-modernistic night spot offers a spectacular view of the harbor and the Manhattan skyline as a background for fine dining and dancing designed to accommodate up to 300 persons.

(Sitting on their fire escape under a hazy July moon, listening to the radio playing thru the open kitchen window as their legs dangle out over the alley three stories below, Joe and Sally munch on crisp, sour pickles Joe brought home from the plant in a soggy wax-paper bag, and wonder how the Blue Sky Bar Lounge could possibly offer anything better than this.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Jul_19__1940_(4).jpg

(Thru a rift in space and time Mr. Lichty caught onto all the bald jokes, and decided not to play along.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Jul_19__1940_(5).jpg

Exotic blonde vocalist Yola Galli is all the rage these nights with the supper crowd at the Rainbow Room, but back home in Bath Beach they know her as Aeole Gamberelli from down the block. Her father's a judge who doesn't approve of having a singer in the family, much less one who cavorts about in a scanty outfit, hence the name change.

The Dodgers, powered by the strong Lithuanian arm of Vito Tamulis, held back a late Chicago attack to beat the Cubs yesterday 7-5. Jimmy Wasdell, who has been standing in for Dolph Camilli since Camilli was trampled in Boston by Buddy Hassett, proved once again to be the biggest bargain of the season, having driven in ten runs over his last ten games. Jimmy went 3-for-4 yesterday adding another 2 RBIs to his total, and made Larry MacPhail look like a genius for picking him up off the Senators' scrap pile for $15,000. Yesterday's win brought the Flock up to the .500 mark for the current Western tour, taking some of the edge off earlier defeats at the hands of the Reds and Pirates.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Jul_19__1940_(6).jpg

The Dodgers wrap it up in Chicago this afternoon, sending Whit Wyatt to the mound against Claude Passeau. Looming up to conclude the Western tour, no less than the St. Louis Cardinals, with hard feelings still simmering over the Medwick beaning.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Jul_19__1940_(1).jpg
(No jury would convict.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Jul_19__1940_(2).jpg
("....because if you are, I got a few words to say about that moustache!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Jul_19__1940_(3).jpg
(Sulky Irwin in panel two ought be spun off into a strip all his own. He could be the Everett True of 1940.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Fri__Jul_19__1940_.jpg
Jeezus.

Daily_News_Fri__Jul_19__1940_(1).jpg

Imagine how you'd feel if you went to the Childs in your neighborhood and found out it was one of the ones that ISN'T air conditioned.

Daily_News_Fri__Jul_19__1940_(2).jpg

It really was that close -- and then it wasn't.

Daily_News_Fri__Jul_19__1940_(3).jpg
Soon as Nick is out of the picture, all the little punks move in.

Daily_News_Fri__Jul_19__1940_(4).jpg
("No, wait, it's not a picture. Seems to be words. Let's see now -- 'Ho--tel New Yor--ker.'"

Daily_News_Fri__Jul_19__1940_(5).jpg
Yeah, Bim, if only you had, I dunno, billions of dollars and a worldwide organization at your disposal or something...

Daily_News_Fri__Jul_19__1940_(6).jpg

Nah, just par for the course.

Daily_News_Fri__Jul_19__1940_(7).jpg
And here's the old Alley bunch, together again. You know Walt Wallet there, and the fellow in the black suit is Doc, who cared for Skeezix as a wee infant. And the moustache and cigar belong to Avery, neighborhood tightwad, and Walt's "closest" friend. The cap and cigarette are the trademarks of Bill, the machinist who can fix anything. With the handlebars and the check suit, we find Mr. Ambrose Wicker, president of the Wicker Furniture Company, makers of fine wicker furniture, for whom Walt works as general sales manager. And in the background, a glimpse of Rachel, Walt's housekeeper, who must be getting very close to retirement by now.

Daily_News_Fri__Jul_19__1940_(8).jpg
You're going with GOOFY???? Poison, definitely. Beezie I could understand, or even Lilacs. But GOOFY????

Daily_News_Fri__Jul_19__1940_(9).jpg
Don't count your checks before they're cashed.

A very 1940 Fedora Lounge pic.

...A balloonist based at Lakehurst Naval Air Station triggered a mild panic in Westchester early this morning, when he was spotted soaring low over Briarcliff Manor. Lieutenant Willard M. Hanger was flying the balloon when it became caught in strong wind currents and blew off its specified course. Briarcliff Manor resident Gus Durham fly over the village barely forty feet above the roof of the local garage, and notified police that a "parachuting fifth columnist" was rampant in the area. Rumors quickly began to circulate that saboteurs were on their way to destroy the Croton Dam, key to New York City's water supply, and authorities milled in the streets in an attempt to foil the invasion. Meanwhile, Lt. Hanger decided that it was simply too windy to continue his flight, and let the balloon down without further incident. The pilot and his two assistants deflated the bag and made arrangements to transport it back to Lakehurst....

Calling Orson Welles and his Mercury Theatre.

...(Sitting on their fire escape under a hazy July moon, listening to the radio playing thru the open kitchen window as their legs dangle out over the alley three stories below, Joe and Sally munch on crisp, sour pickles Joe brought home from the plant in a soggy wax-paper bag, and wonder how the Blue Sky Bar Lounge could possibly offer anything better than this...

And Sally asks Joe if they should check it out some night anyway, to which Joe responds it's nothing special as it doesn't revolve like the really swanky hotel rooftop bars do in Manhattan. Sally is confused and amazed that Joe knows this.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Jul_19__1940_(4).jpg
(Thru a rift in space and time Mr. Lichty caught onto all the bald jokes, and decided not to play along.)....

:) (And good punchline today.)

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Jul_19__1940_(5).jpg
Exotic blonde vocalist Yola Galli is all the rage these nights with the supper crowd at the Rainbow Room, but back home in Bath Beach they know her as Aeole Gamberelli from down the block. Her father's a judge who doesn't approve of having a singer in the family, much less one who cavorts about in a scanty outfit, hence the name change....

Life imitates art as Leona sniffs, "that's nothing, you should have seen me in my Club-Buccaneer days"
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Feb_7__1940_(3)-2.jpg

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Jul_19__1940_(3).jpg (Sulky Irwin in panel two ought be spun off into a strip all his own. He could be the Everett True of 1940.)

Panel three: Apparently, everybody attended the Black-Hood School for Posture.

... Daily_News_Fri__Jul_19__1940_.jpg Jeezus.....

No kidding Lizzie.

Re: Mother-son murder combo: Perhaps the most surprising thing in this gruesome story is that the wife's husband took her back after her prison sentence - Really!!!

... Daily_News_Fri__Jul_19__1940_(1)-2.jpg
Imagine how you'd feel if you went to the Childs in your neighborhood and found out it was one of the ones that ISN'T air conditioned....

That really would be a downer.

Also, apparently, the Childs' Marketing Department pleaded for another chance as the horrible, overwrought and all-over-the-place copy is back.

... View attachment 248231
It really was that close -- and then it wasn't.....

As with anything WWII, there are many opinions, but one popular one is that without air superiority - which Goring promised but never deliver - Hitler didn't want to attempt it. He figured he'd deal with Russia and, then, return to finish off England. Man plans and God...

.. Daily_News_Fri__Jul_19__1940_(6).jpg
Nah, just par for the course.....

That's quite the in-your-face move by Hu Shee to Pat. I'm very excited to see what happens in tomorrow's strip.

... Daily_News_Fri__Jul_19__1940_(7).jpg And here's the old Alley bunch, together again. You know Walt Wallet there, and the fellow in the black suit is Doc, who cared for Skeezix as a wee infant. And the moustache and cigar belong to Avery, neighborhood tightwad, and Walt's "closest" friend. The cap and cigarette are the trademarks of Bill, the machinist who can fix anything. With the handlebars and the check suit, we find Mr. Ambrose Wicker, president of the Wicker Furniture Company, makers of fine wicker furniture, for whom Walt works as general sales manager. And in the background, a glimpse of Rachel, Walt's housekeeper, who must be getting very close to retirement by now.....

Thank you.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
German bombers launched a blitzkrieg attack on a south England harbor today as a grim reminder of Adolf Hitler's demand for "subjugation or destruction." Seventeen bombers escorted by Messerschmitt fighter planes pounded anchored ships as other raiding parties struck at supply depots, anti-aircraft defenses, and ships at sea. German reports claim that one 5000-ton merchant ship was sunk, and a total of twenty-seven British planes shot down, with Nazi losses of only three planes. British reports, in contrast, state that a total of fifteen Nazi raiders have been downed in the past twenty-four hours.

As it battled the aerial onslaught, Great Britain today ignored Hitler's "final appeal for peace," indicating by its actions that it is ready for a "test of strength" against the Nazi war machine. A scornful silence was the British Government's official response to Hitler's demands made in a speech to the Reichstag this week, although there is some expectation that Prime Minister Winston Churchill may have some comment to make in the House of Commons next Thursday.

A British newspaper claims a plan is circulating in the Nazi foreign office that would award Canada "as a gift" to the United States in the event that the British Empire falls to Germany. The plan, supposedly conceived by Foreign Minister Joachim von Ribbentrop, was outlined in an article appearing in the London Sketch, also is said to include "a solemn pledge" from Hitler that he will not "interfere in the affairs of the United States" after he has "finished with Britain."

In New Orleans, leaders of the Louisiana sugar industry are reported ready to bolt the Democratic Party in favor of Republican Presidential candidate Wendell Willkie as a show of their dissatisfaction with the nomination of Agriculture Secretary Henry A. Wallace as candidate for the Vice Presidency. Charles A. Farwell, spokesman for the American Sugar Cane League, donned a "Willkie For President" button as he told reporters that "Wallace did all in his power to destroy the Louisiana sugar industry," and declared that "Republicans are the sugar industry's only hope." The sugar industry in Louisana strongly opposed the Roosevelt Administration's quota system on sugar production as administered by the Department of Agriculture under Wallace.

A candy box labeled "Explosives" found in a motion-picture theatre at the British Pavilion at the World's Fair yesterday turned out to contain about four pounds of "junk," according to investigators from the police Bomb Squad. The box was removed from the pavilion by detectives and taken to the same location behind the Polish Pavilion where a real bomb detonated on July 4th, where it was determined to be a fake. Police have revealed no further information about the box or who might have placed it in the Pavilion.

Meanwhile, two detectives wounded in the July 4th bombing are reported to be continuing their recovery at Flushing Hospital. Doctors report that Detectives Joseph J. Gallagher and William J. Federer are "not yet entirely out of danger, but fairly well on the road to recovery." Federer suffered a fractured left leg in the explosion, while Gallagher is still suffering from shock.

Initial steps toward the demolition of the Fair this fall are underway, with exhibitors already making arrangement for the removal of their display materials. Fair officials have urged exhibitors to "negotiate your demolition contracts as early as possible," with plans calling for the grounds to be completely razed to a depth of four feet below the surface once the Fair concludes, thus clearing the way for the long-planned Flushing Meadow Park.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Jul_20__1940_.jpg

("$2.20 an hour!" says Sally. "We could move to Flatbush!" "I should load dynamite an' allat?" snorts Joe. "I got trouble enough with pickles!")

The Eagle Editorialist takes a bold stand and joins with the angry mothers of Midwood in demanding that the right-of-way of the BMT Brighton Line be blocked off from any unauthorized access, and that means more than weak picket fences and a few signs. "Five year old children can't read," he declares, "and fences mean nothing to them."

Washington columnist Ray Tucker crawls far out on his limb and predicts that "the sorry mess which President Roosevelt's political managers" made of the Democratic National Convention "makes the election of Wendell Willkie inevitable."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Jul_20__1940_(1).jpg

(And that's the baldheaded truth!)

The Cubs smacked the Dodgers 11 to 4 to close out the Wrigley Field series yesterday, and the end of the game saw more than its share of action between Hugh Casey -- making his first appearance since he was beaned in an exhibition game during the All Star break -- and his opposite number, Chicago pitcher Claude Passeau. Casey was being treated roughly by the Cubs when Passeau came to bat in the eighth, and Hughie came in high and tight with a real chin-shaver. Passeau proposed to visit the mound, bat in hand, for a discussion of the fine points of control, but was restrained from doing so, promising in a loud voice that he would cut Casey's uniform off. Hugh replied cordially, offering to give Passeau every chance, and followed up with a fat one right down the center of the plate. Passeau laid down a bunt, no doubt hoping to set Casey up for a good spiking at first base, but the ball rolled foul. Hughie wasted the next pitch for a ball, and then very purposefully nailed Passeau flat in the middle of the back. Passeau instantly responded by firing his bat in a perfect strike right thru the pitchers' box, but Casey ably dodged it and the bat flew into center field. The two pitchers then headed for each other, fists ready, but Dodger Joe Gallagher materialized as if from nowhere and flung Passeau to the ground. Passeau sprang back up and grabbed Gallagher by the throat, only to find himself in a stranglehold courtesy of Leo Durocher. Cub coach George Uhle then inserted himself into the proceedings, clapping his own arms into the available vacancy around Leo's throat. Durocher let go of Passeau and wrestled Uhle around the infield in what appeared to spectators to be a perfect old-fashioned waltz. When the police and umpires restored order, the entire left sleeve of Passeau's undershirt was missing, and Gallagher's uniform was torn asunder at the shoulder. Joe also displayed a rough spot on his right cheek where he had been kicked or stepped on in the melee, and the Dodgers say Chicago's Al Todd did it. Passeau was tossed out of the game, but no Dodger got the thumb.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Jul_20__1940_(2).jpg

Thus warmed up, the Dodgers roll into Sportsman's Park today for the opening of a three game series against the Cardinals, during which scores are expected to be settled for the beaning of Joe Medwick last month and the subsequent exchange of fistic greetings between Leo and Cards catcher Mickey Owen.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Jul_20__1940_(3).jpg
(George makes Page 4 in the Daily News.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Jul_20__1940_(4).jpg
(Yeah, sure, John, but you grabbed the wrong hat. That one's about six sizes too big for you.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Jul_20__1940_(5).jpg
(Stick around, fella. You haven't met Dan yet.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sat__Jul_20__1940_.jpg
I hope that Miss de Havilland, noodling around on the internet some afternoon, doesn't come across this post, because I fear she might find it a bit beneath her dignity.

Daily_News_Sat__Jul_20__1940_(2).jpg

Besides, it took him two years to grow the thing.

Daily_News_Sat__Jul_20__1940_(1).jpg
That certainly didn't take long.

Daily_News_Sat__Jul_20__1940_(3).jpg
Awww, Annie has a way of affecting people like that.

Daily_News_Sat__Jul_20__1940_(4).jpg

So, Tracy -- just how do you plan to track these two down once they get off the train? You didn't even get their names.

Daily_News_Sat__Jul_20__1940_(5).jpg
And the reunion tour continues as Skeez catches up with his boyhood pals. During high school he and his best pal Gootch owned a jalopy together, and selling out his share last summer financed Skeezix's trip to the big city. And Spud, ahhhh, poor Spud. He was the poorest kid in the neighborhood and lived in a unheated shack with his consumptive mother. He seems to be doing OK now, but things never go well for Spud for very long.

Daily_News_Sat__Jul_20__1940_(6).jpg
TROLL

Daily_News_Sat__Jul_20__1940_(7).jpg

In 1940, there were over 7000 soda fountains in New York City. Hope you're thirsty. Oh, wait, I forgot. Shadow's always thirsty.

Daily_News_Sat__Jul_20__1940_(8).jpg
I can't stop looking at Plushie's posture in panel one. Try using a footstool like that and see how you like it.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Jul_20__1940_.jpg
("$2.20 an hour!" says Sally. "We could move to Flatbush!" "I should load dynamite an' allat?" snorts Joe. "I got trouble enough with pickles!")...

In the early '90s, I worked for an investment bank whose NYC headquarters was right next to the Waldorf Astoria hotel. For a couple of years, in early January, we'd have a "New Year Business-Plan Launch" (or some name close to that) at the Starlight Room in the Waldorf, as, surprisingly, it was not that expensive (relatively) to rent it for a few hours late in the afternoon (when we held the launch).

The Starlight Room in its heyday.
9.5.42.starlight-room-waldorf-astoria.jpg

And what it looked like when a bunch of traders and investment bankers went there in the early '90s.
18125248555_0ee22fde3f_b.jpg

N.B., Mr Evans might want to cut back on the number of Henny Youngman jokes.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Jul_20__1940_(1).jpg
(And that's the baldheaded truth!)...

We'll have to start paying attention, maybe it's mainly "fat-cat" business men that get the bald-head treatment all the time. Also, can't image what businessman in 1940 would wear that loud windowpane-pattered suit or sport coat to, what looks like, a serious senior-level meeting.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Jul_20__1940_(4).jpg (Yeah, sure, John, but you grabbed the wrong hat. That one's about six sizes too big for you.)..

Well, whatever physics is at work in panel four also seems to have shrunk Screed down by about 50%.

... Daily_News_Sat__Jul_20__1940_.jpg I hope that Miss de Havilland, noodling around on the internet some afternoon, doesn't come across this post, because I fear she might find it a bit beneath her dignity.....

A lot of hopping on running boards followed by fisticuffs lately. That entire scene could have fit into half a dozen Warner Brothers movies from the '30s.

And Assuming Miss de Havilland has even twice the internet-surfing skills of my 87-year-old mother, we have nothing to fear.

Besides, it took him two years to grow the thing....

As you imply, I think this young man is really upset about something else.

... Daily_News_Sat__Jul_20__1940_(1).jpg That certainly didn't take long.....

They moved into the same town!? Also, Edson seems to have the same aversion to thought bubbles that Marsh has.

... Daily_News_Sat__Jul_20__1940_(3)-2.jpg Awww, Annie has a way of affecting people like that.....

Just starting to allow for the possibility that this guy's okay, which is right when you usually get screwed.

... Daily_News_Sat__Jul_20__1940_(5).jpg And the reunion tour continues as Skeez catches up with his boyhood pals. During high school he and his best pal Gootch owned a jalopy together, and selling out his share last summer financed Skeezix's trip to the big city. And Spud, ahhhh, poor Spud. He was the poorest kid in the neighborhood and lived in a unheated shack with his consumptive mother. He seems to be doing OK now, but things never go well for Spud for very long.....

Perhaps Skeezix doesn't understand what the term "sold" means, but when you sell something to someone, the new owner gets to keep any future gain or loss. Interestingly, former owners only seems to complain when the new owner realizes a profit.

Nina seems to be forgetting about college boy quite quickly.

... Daily_News_Sat__Jul_20__1940_(6).jpg TROLL....

Seriously, you have to applaud her, I believe the word is, chutzpah. She's one confident young woman.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
1941 -- the models of which are just a few weeks away -- will be the last year in which outside running boards are a common feature on American-made cars. Ad-hoc crimefighting will never be the same.

It's amazing how quickly Hu Shee has picked up on exactly which buttons to push with Mr. Ryan, which strongly suggests that her mentor, the D. L., is closer at hand than ever before.

Meanwhile, poor April has fallen completely off the map. No doubt that dynamic young firebrand Crispin is keeping in her in a state of high and constant excitement.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Royal Air Force pursuit planes today fought to break up German bomber attacks over the British Isles sent as an evident prelude to Adolf Hitler's promised blitzkrieg invasion. Hundreds of planes were reported engaged along the southern coast of England, but German raiders managed to penetrate as far north as Scotland in resumption of air raids that have killed a total of 336 civilians over the past month. The British Air Ministry announced that twelve Nazi planes were downed in today's action, with "several others known to be severely damaged."

Vice President John N. Garner was cleaning out his office in Washington yesterday, and is expected to quit the capital entirely, returning home to Texas to sit out the coming Presidential campaign. The Vice President, an ardent opponent of a third term for President Roosevelt, is expected to offer no assistance whatever to the President, new Vice Presidential nominee Henry Wallace, or the Democratic Party itself during the campaign season. The Vice President, who had himself been a candidate for the 1940 Democratic nomination, declined to say if he had sent a message congratulating Mr. Roosevelt on his renomination at last week's Democratic National Convention, but friends of Mr. Garner understood that "he had not."

A five year old boy is dead and twenty-eight other persons were sickened by tainted smoked fish sold in the Bensonhurst, Borough Park, and Marine Park sections last week. The boy, identified as Sanford Upbin of 40 Tehama Street, died Wednesday night in Madison Hospital after having been taken ill at his home after eating the fish last Sunday. Mrs. Ceil Upbin, the boy's mother, was also sickened by the fish, and is reported in "improving" condition at Kings County Hospital. Health Department officials say the wave of food poisonings is the result of salmonella contamination of the fish, and the Department has seized some 2000 pounds of smoked white fish from retail shops in the three neighborhoods to determine the origin of the tainted fish.

The mother of the five-year-old boy killed in a third-rail accident on the BMT tracks in Midwood last week is pledging her earnings "to save the life of some other child." Mrs. Marie Allison, whose son Richard was killed when he fell across the tracks behind the Avenue M station while chasing a ball, works as a nurse employed by the Health Department, gave her full endorsement to the campaign to block off the embankment along the Brighton Line rail right of way and prevent other children from potentially experiencing the same fate as her own child.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_21__1940_.jpg
(Pssst! Summer's almost over!)

The Reverend John H. Esquirol of Trinity Parish, Southport, Connecticut writes in to the Old Timers page to see if anyone remembers the championship game of the 1915 Brooklyn Eagle Midget Division Baseball League. The Rev certainly does -- for he played in that game at Ebbets Field, for the Uncas Athletic Club team, in a hard-fought seventeen inning 4-3 victory over the Deerfoot A. C. Several future major leaguers appeared in that game, including Waite Hoyt, Eddie Goebel, Clint Blume, Eppie Barnes, and Walter "Bid" McPhee.

Reader Tom Ireland writes in to demand that something be done about little boys hitching rides on the back of the trolley cars on Rogers Avenue. The police don't do anything about it since it "isn't in their jurisdiction." Someday somebody's going to get killed.

_Sun__Jul_21__1940_.jpg

The Dodgers blew an early lead to the Cardinals, losing the opener of their three-game series in St. Louis by a score of 3-2. An early two-run homer by Joe Medwick, greeted by a rousing wave of boos by the Sportsman's Park crowd, went to waste -- even though veteran St. Louis sportswriters said it might have been the longest ball Ducky ever hit in his former home park. The Cardinals came from behind when a long hit by Joe Orengo was misplayed into a triple when Dixie Walker botched his throw into the infield. It was the only hit the Cardinals got against Curt Davis, in to relieve Tex Carleton, but it was enough to give him the loss. Lon Warneke went the distance to get the win for St. Louis.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_21__1940_(1).jpg

The Dodgers and Cards play two today to close out both the series and their Western trip, which now stands at an uninspiring five wins and seven losses, leaving the Flock a distant four games behind the Reds. It's the worst deficit the Dodgers have logged all season.

Don't forget -- if you can predict the correct line score for the first game of today's doubleheader, you could win $50 in the Eagle's big Dodger contest!

(Joe: BKN 000 000 009 -- 9 9 1
STL - 321 010 100 -- 8 16 0
Sally: BKN 999 999 999 -- 27 30 0
STL 000 000 000 -- 0 1 15)

National League President Ford Frick has fined Cubs pitcher Claude Passeau $75 for throwing his bat at Hugh Casey in Friday's game at Wrigley Field, after Casey came in high and tight against the Chicago hurler. Frick also fined Dodger outfielder Joe Gallagher $50 for "mixing in something that was none of his business." Gallagher tackled Passeau as the two pitchers were preparing to settle their dispute with fists.

Running boards on cars are unpopular on the West Coast -- but East Coast motorists prefer cars that have them. So concludes a survey of sales statistics for the 1940 Cadillac and LaSalle cars which offered running boards as an optional feature. It is noted that even before the offering of a no-running-board option, it has been a common habit of California motorists to remove the running boards from their cars.

Mortgage foreclosures in Brooklyn have dropped by half from 1939 figures, according to the president of the Brooklyn Real Estate Board. Only 1019 foreclosures were recorded in the borough over the first six months of this year, compared to 2031 over the first six months of 1939.

Tennis star Jean Borotra, taken from the courts to a position in the Vichy government is the front of Trend this week...

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_21__1940_(2).jpg

("Bounding Basque?" roars Sally. "That's PETEY'S nickname! He wouldn't work for no fashies, neither!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_21__1940_(4).jpg
(Look, you get me all hyped up that Red Ryder is gonna rassle a lion AND a tiger and I wait all week to see it, and then Red Ryder does NOT rassle a lion AND a tiger, and instead just tells his sidekick to grift the reward money, and you got to admit I'm justified in feeling JUST A BIT CHEATED.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_21__1940_(5).jpg

(Yep, more baldheaded financiers.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_21__1940_(6).jpg

(Arrested after the war and questioned by the Nuremberg Commission, Arthur Kannenberg stated that Hitler's favorite song was "Who's Afraid Of The Big Bad Wolf.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_21__1940_(7).jpg
(Yeah, well, you wait till John is elected Governor and Bill becomes chief of staff. Just TRY and get away with anything THEN!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_21__1940_(8).jpg
(So what we're looking at here is at least a week or two of Irwin being trolled by Dan Dunn Phantom Of Disguise? Because I gotta say I'm kinda up for that.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_21__1940_(9).jpg

(Speaking of trolling...)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_21__1940_.jpg
The "reducing pill" story isn't as strange as it sounds. There were many different weird drugs being sold in the Era promising weight loss, and many of them had dangerous side effects. Schlink and Kallett's "100,000,000 Guinea Pigs," published in 1932, describes many such products.

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_21__1940_(1).jpg

Haven't checked in on this page in a while, and there's plenty that's interesting. The movie star stills ad for Irving Klaw omits his far more profitable sideline as the nation's leading provider of under-the-table fetish porn. And I just don't get how you're supposed to convince Doggie to stay on his Doggie Seat while the car is in motion.

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_21__1940_(2).jpg
I've been in this exact waiting room. Mr. Hill is an uncanny observer of reality.

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_21__1940_(3).jpg
And do you have jurisdiction in the case, Tracy? You're nothing but a city cop. This is a job for the State Police. Or, if interstate transport is involved, the feds.

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_21__1940_(4).jpg
You twerps really need to reevaluate your business plan.

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_21__1940_(5).jpg
Who needs Superman when you've got Annie?

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_21__1940_(6).jpg
You can tell he's an evil megalomaniac because he has a monogrammed chair.

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_21__1940_(7).jpg
Bob Kane is reading this strip and wishing he could make "Batman" half as good.

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_21__1940_(8).jpg
In a movie, this is the part just before the bear, the werewolf, or the insane clown with a meat cleaver attacks.

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_21__1940_(9).jpg

If Kayo can ride down an escalator like that, he has a bright future in the roller derby.

...The mother of the five-year-old boy killed in a third-rail accident on the BMT tracks in Midwood last week is pledging her earnings "to save the life of some other child." Mrs. Marie Allison, whose son Richard was killed when he fell across the tracks behind the Avenue M station while chasing a ball, works as a nurse employed by the Health Department, gave her full endorsement to the campaign to block off the embankment along the Brighton Line rail right of way and prevent other children from potentially experiencing the same fate as her own child....

She's a one-woman early version of Mothers Against Drunk Driving. As we note all the time, very little is new; everything has its antecedents.

...Reader Tom Ireland writes in to demand that something be done about little boys hitching rides on the back of the trolley cars on Rogers Avenue. The police don't do anything about it since it "isn't in their jurisdiction." Someday somebody's going to get killed....

He's right, but sadly, it usually takes a tragedy to change things. I wouldn't be surprised if, when it does, it gives brith to another Mothers-Against-Drunk-Driving-style moment.

...Running boards on cars are unpopular on the West Coast -- but East Coast motorists prefer cars that have them. So concludes a survey of sales statistics for the 1940 Cadillac and LaSalle cars which offered running boards as an optional feature. It is noted that even before the offering of a no-running-board option, it has been a common habit of California motorists to remove the running boards from their cars....

Lizzie, yesterday, you perfectly summed up what that means to impromptu crime fighting.

...Tennis star Jean Borotra, taken from the courts to a position in the Vichy government is the front of Trend this week...

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_21__1940_(2).jpg
("Bounding Basque?" roars Sally. "That's PETEY'S nickname! He wouldn't work for no fashies, neither!")...

Being 56, I think I am part of the last generation who witnessed the debate between "playing for the honor of the game" versus "playing for money" (staying amateur versus going "pro") when it was still a really, really big deal.

Oh, and that's quite the opening paragraph.

.. The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_21__1940_(5).jpg
(Yep, more baldheaded financiers.)...)

Maybe it's some of the same guys from yesterday, but a year later after the ATF got wind of their scheme to make and sell new "pre-war" whisky.

...[ The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_21__1940_(6).jpg
(Arrested after the war and questioned by the Nuremberg Commission, Arthur Kannenberg stated that Hitler's favorite song was "Who's Afraid Of The Big Bad Wolf.")...

By far, the oddest "Private Lives" we've seen to date.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_21__1940_(8).jpg (So what we're looking at here is at least a week or two of Irwin being trolled by Dan Dunn Phantom Of Disguise? Because I gotta say I'm kinda up for that.)...

As we noted before, once you think of "Dan Dunn" as comic-strip opera, it all makes sense and is quite enjoyable. Otherwise, hard to believe the top brass is losing sleep over a few clothing stores being modestly robbed or that the lower-level mob's answer to their boss manipulating a dumb cop is to kill the cop. But as opera - sing on Mr. Marsh.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_21__1940_(9).jpg
(Speaking of trolling...)

It would have been quite something had he pulled up Sugarfoot or not-Tootsie.

... Daily_News_Sun__Jul_21__1940_(1).jpg
Haven't checked in on this page in a while, and there's plenty that's interesting. The movie star stills ad for Irving Klaw omits his far more profitable sideline as the nation's leading provider of under-the-table fetish porn. And I just don't get how you're supposed to convince Doggie to stay on his Doggie Seat while the car is in motion.....

Oh God yes, the crazy doggie seat jumped out even in a page of madness.

... Daily_News_Sun__Jul_21__1940_(2).jpg I've been in this exact waiting room. Mr. Hill is an uncanny observer of reality.....

"If it were a city doctor's office, a chemical blonde office nurse would be doing the honors." Nice.

And here's one now:
826e2ba9041c89f605b0acb95e91a931.jpg
A popular '30s movie trope as well.

... Daily_News_Sun__Jul_21__1940_(7).jpg Bob Kane is reading this strip and wishing he could make "Batman" half as good.....

Best strip going right now.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
President Roosevelt today asked Congress to authorize the Export-Import Bank to lend a total of $500,000,000 for the purchase of Latin American surpluses as the first step in an economic offensive against totalitarian penetration into the New World. In a message coinciding with the Pan American consultative conference in Havana, Mr. Roosevelt asked that the capitalization and lending power of the Federal Bank be increased by a half-billion dollars, and that present restrictions on the nature of loans be lifted. At present, Export-Import loans are made only to facilitate the purchase of American goods by foreign governments, but Mr. Roosevelt has asked that directors of the bank be given full discretion as to the purpose of loans.

Great Britain has called for a speedup of industrial production as its response to Adolf Hitler's peace ultimatum, with Minister of Labor Ernest Bevin calling on munitions factory workers to keep up a high rate of output in order to "finish this wretched business on our terms. Bevin declared that workers, soldiers, sailors, and airmen will all fight together to "show the Hitlers and Mussolinis we can not only work and fight but be cheerful doing it."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_22__1940_.jpg

Another three persons have fallen ill from salmonella poisoning in Brooklyn, raising the total to fifty, as state Health Department officials today seized a truckload of fish brought into the city from upstate. Dr. James E. Perkins of the Division of Communicable Diseases reported that the load of smoked whitefish, butterfish, and cod was tainted by handling, and was distributed by the Monticello Smoked Fish Company, a wholesale company having operations in both Brooklyn and in Sullivan County. The initial outbreak of poisoning cases in the Borough Park section led to a sweep of grocery and delicatessen stores in the neighborhood, with all poisoning victims identified so far having bought smoked fish from one of nine retail outlets. All requests by the Eagle for a statement from the fish firm were refused.

The five-year-old boy killed in a third-rail accident along the BMT Brighton Line in Midwood was buried today at Holy Cross Cemetery. Funeral services for Richard Allison were held at his mother's home at 2359 E 15th Street. Meanwhile, Borough President John Cashmore, returning to Brooklyn from Chicago, has announced that steps are being taken to build a six foot wire fence along the right of way in order to keep children away from the tracks. A cost estimate on the project is expected to be on the Borough President's desk by tomorrow.

If you take sulfa drugs, stay out of the sun. So recommends Dr. Charles Pabst, a dermatologist and the presdient of the Kings County Medical Society. Dr. Pabst says sulfanilamide and sulfapyradine, widely used in battling infections, tend to make those using the medications over-sensitive to sunlight, causing severe sunburns, illness, and in some cases, death.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_22__1940_(1).jpg

(She ain't kiddin'.)

Two men and a woman accused of selling fake diamonds made of polished glass were sentenced today to indeterminate prison terms. 50 year old Harry Rosen of 1463 St. John's Place, who has an extensive police record including 26 arrests and 16 convictions for disorderly conduct and petty larceny; 45 year old Louis Gold of 293 S. 9th Street, with a record of four arrests and one conviction for larceny; and 45 year old Mrs. Lily Gunches of 2971 W29th Street, whose only police record involved a stay in the workhouse for prostitution,were charged with attempting to sell the bogus gems to Mrs. Molly Biderman of 487 Bartlett Street. Two detectives had been observing the trio, and moved to arrest them when they observed the transaction taking place.

The "Wall Of Death" motorcycle-riding attraction at the World's Fair was closed today following the death of a rider in a collision Saturday night, but the operator of the daredevil exhibition hopes to reopen tonight. Forty year old John Luck of 11-04 Santell Avenue in Corona was killed in the Saturday crash with another motorcyclist, who was shaken but not otherwise badly injured. The accident, coupled with an earlier incident in which another rider was hospitalized after being bitten by a lion used in the act, has reduced the exhibition to just the operator, Joseph Dobisch, and his wife.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_22__1940_(2).jpg

(What a half-baked ad for such a high-powered picture. You can't do better than clip-art head shots?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_22__1940_(3).jpg

(And so began the long, slow decline of the traditional department store.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_22__1940_(4).jpg
It's do or die for the Dodgers when they set up shop at Ebbets Field tomorrow after an unsatisfying 13-10 road trip that's left them five full games off the top in the National League pennant race. The homestand opens tomorrow against none other than the league-leading Reds, putting the Dodgers on the spot in what stands as the most critical series of the season. The grueling matchup begins with a doubleheader tomorrow, followed by a night game on Wednesday. Durocher plans to send Whit Wyatt and Curt Davis out tomorrow against Paul Derringer and Junior Thompson.

The Dodgers got out of St. Louis yesterday with a doubleheader split, with Fat Freddie Fitzsimmons raising his season record to 9-1 with his 201st career victory in the first game by a score of 3-1, but the Flock couldn't keep up the momentum and dropped the nightcap 5-2 thanks to Luke Hamlin's uncontrollable home-run-ball habit. Luckless Luke dished up a pair of circuit clouts to Enos Slaughter, one of which came with two on. Slaughter continued his personal field day by knocking off a run against reliever Vito Tamulis to cap the Cardinal victory.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_22__1940_(5).jpg

The Cardinal series was surprisingly free of fireworks, with players on both teams restraining themselves from raising the issues left unresolved by the beaning of Joe Medwick and Durocher's brawl with Mickey Owen. Medwick gave the Cards his personal reply by slapping another home run in the fourth inning of yesterday's first game, his second homer of the series.

The winner of the Eagle's $50 Dodger contest will be announced tomorrow. More than 4000 entries were received, and the contest was so successful that we'll do it again with next Sunday's twinbill against the Cardinals at Ebbets Field. Get busy now -- same rules as before, and entries must be postmarked by midnight Friday.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_22__1940_(6).jpg
(MOVE TO A NEW CITY)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_22__1940_(7).jpg
("She won't be able to resist me in my new Harold Lloyd hat!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_22__1940_(8).jpg
(In "Dan Dunn -- The Opera," Irwin is a piercing tenor, Dan is the manly baritone, and the Chief is a thundering, imperious bass.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_22__1940_.jpg
("The family had been an honorable one with not a single actor in it." Hmph. Bet you wouldn't say that to Nelson Eddy's face.)

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_22__1940_(1).jpg
("Maybe if we try a two-tone effect in the headline lettering! C'mon, gimme a chance! I got six kids to support!")

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_22__1940_(2).jpg

Say, you're not foolin' me. This is the same art as the blackberry pie, with the filling changed to cherries. Just because Childs has given up doesn't mean you can get lazy.

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_22__1940_(3).jpg
"Bet you didn't expect to see ME again, Annie!" Nick chuckled as the door swung open.

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_22__1940_(4).jpg
"His kind is rather eccentric," says the voice of completely well-adjusted normality.

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_22__1940_(5).jpg
"Andrew Gump, huh? Say lissen, you goose-faced piker, when you gonna pay up what you..."*CLICK*

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_22__1940_(6).jpg

"But son, about this fellow Wilmer you keep talking about. Word of advice for you -- don't ever go into business with him."

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_22__1940_(7).jpg
And just WHO could be waiting for you there?

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_22__1940_(8).jpg
Ahhh, Mamie. Always with the mot juste.

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_22__1940_(9).jpg
It's looking a bit sad there, kid. Better put it out of its misery.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_22__1940_(1).jpg
(She ain't kiddin'.)...

Growing up, every house in my neighborhood had a jar up of Noxzema, through the '70s anyway. The funny thing is, back then, you'd go over to a friend's house and four out of five things in the medicine cabinet were the same brand as you had in your house. Vicks, Noxzema, Listerine, Bayer Asperin, etc. - everyone seemed to have nearly the same brands (less so with foods).

...Two men and a woman accused of selling fake diamonds made of polished glass were sentenced today to indeterminate prison terms. 50 year old Harry Rosen of 1463 St. John's Place, who has an extensive police record including 26 arrests and 16 convictions for disorderly conduct and petty larceny; 45 year old Louis Gold of 293 S. 9th Street, with a record of four arrests and one conviction for larceny; and 45 year old Mrs. Lily Gunches of 2971 W29th Street, whose only police record involved a stay in the workhouse for prostitution,were charged with attempting to sell the bogus gems to Mrs. Molly Biderman of 487 Bartlett Street. Two detectives had been observing the trio, and moved to arrest them when they observed the transaction taking place....

So as Mrs. Lily Gunches aged out of the oldest profession, her next career move was selling fake diamonds. One wonders what Mr. Gunches thinks of his wife's resume?

... View attachment 248728
(What a half-baked ad for such a high-powered picture. You can't do better than clip-art head shots?)...

No kidding, that is some serious star firepower. Wouldn't (just me guessing) the studios have sent out all the necessary (and high-quality) promotional material to the theaters ahead of time?

Oh, and for a 1940 movie experience, "Susan and God" is on TCM on 8/3 at 7:15AM ET, my DVR is now set.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_22__1940_(6).jpg (MOVE TO A NEW CITY)...

I genuinely laughed out loud at the first line in the first panel - it's past trolling, it's out-right, in-your-face provocation.

...[ The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_22__1940_(7).jpg ("She won't be able to resist me in my new Harold Lloyd hat!")...

:)
MV5BMjA0ODc5MTIyOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDgxODIwMjE@._V1_UY317_CR20,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Leona made the mistake many men make, but in her case, she married an air-headed pretty boy. Cut your losses early Leona.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_22__1940_(8).jpg (In "Dan Dunn -- The Opera," Irwin is a piercing tenor, Dan is the manly baritone, and the Chief is a thundering, imperious bass.)

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_22__1940_.jpg ("The family had been an honorable one with not a single actor in it." Hmph. Bet you wouldn't say that to Nelson Eddy's face.)....

A very 1940s day with Navy Blimps from Lakehurst Air Station, a visit to the World's Fair and a phalanx of laundry trucks deployed in the search for a baby.

Did the baby who disappeared just crawl away? Kinda sloppy reporting on that one.

At least Farley still has his impressive Post Office in NYC, with a section of it now in the process of being converted to use as part of an expanded Penn Station.

It's an absolutely gorgeous classical architecture building. The pics don't do it justice as you have to be walking up the stairs to appreciate the scale and proportions of this behemoth of a building. Despite its size, it doesn't make you feel small; just the opposite, you feel lifted up just walking up to its entrance.
farley post office1.jpg

... View attachment 248737 ("Maybe if we try a two-tone effect in the headline lettering! C'mon, gimme a chance! I got six kids to support!")....

... Daily_News_Mon__Jul_22__1940_(2).jpg
Say, you're not foolin' me. This is the same art as the blackberry pie, with the filling changed to cherries. Just because Childs has given up doesn't mean you can get lazy.....

Agreed, but to be fair, they at least made the effort to change the filling (and added the cute looking cherries with stems on top). H&H marketing continues to leave Childs' addled effort in its dust.
Daily_News_Tue__Jul_9__1940_(1).jpg

And once again, I ask, did a 1940 audience get the double entendre of H&H's talking pie? By the 1980s - example number 8 billion of how much crasser a culture we have become - Warrant's "Cherry Pie" left nothing to the imagination.

... View attachment 248742 "Bet you didn't expect to see ME again, Annie!" Nick chuckled as the door swung open.....

If only. :(

... Daily_News_Mon__Jul_22__1940_(7).jpg And just WHO could be waiting for you there?....

Artwork, story, suspense - T&TP is on fire. Time for LOA and MW to up their current games.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
German planes rained bombs today on half a dozen major British ports, airfields, and a naval base, according to the Nazi High Command, as an authorized German source stated "there is nothing more to discuss. The die is cast." The opening rounds of the "all out war" against Britain, if in fact they have not already begun, merely await the signal from Adolf Hitler, it was indicated.

Meanwhile, the British Government has raised their nation's income tax to 42 1/2 percent in order to fund an emergency war budget equalling over $13.8 billion US dollars. The new tax will be deducted arbitrarily from the wages of all employed persons in Great Britian.

Acting Secretary of State Sumner Welles today condemned the absorption of Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania into the Soviet Union as "deliberate annihilation," and pledged that, even though the Parliaments of those nations voted to join the USSR, the US will continue to recognize ministers representing three Baltic republics as representatives of independent states.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jul_23__1940_(3).jpg

The Brooklyn Council of the Veterans of Foreign Wars has joined the campaign to block access to the BMT Brighton Line right of way thru Midwood, even as Brooklyn Borough President John Cashmore announced that it will cost $21,000 to build barrier fences along the tracks from Avenue J to Sheepshead Bay. Cashmore stressed that since the BMT only came under city control six weeks ago under transit unification, the Board of Transportation cannot be blamed for inaction in addressing the longstanding problem that has led to several deaths over the decades, most recently that of five-year-old Richard Allison.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jul_23__1940_.jpg

In a surprising move, the Dodgers yesterday recalled the phenom of their 1939 spring training camp from the Elmira club in the New York-Pennsylvania League, and put him the starting lineup this afternoon at Ebbets Field, as the Dodgers kicked off a crucial series against the Cincinnati Reds. Harold "Pete" Reiser joined the club this morning, and is starting the first game of today's doubleheader as the Brooklyn right fielder. Reiser, drafted from the Cardinals organization in 1939, terrorized the Brooklyn training camp that spring, going eight-for-eight in an exhibition series against the Yankees, with three of those hits home runs, and made several spectacular plays in the field. He was sent to Elmira for seasoning, and became one of the NYP League's most dynamic players last year. To make room for Reiser on the Brooklyn roster, rookie outfielder Charley Gilbert was optioned to Montreal of the International League. Gilbert had been expected to do big things this year, but he fizzled early and has lately seen little action.

Thirty thousand fans are packed into Ebbets Field for today's twinbill, and at press time the Dodgers and Reds are tied 2-2, with Brooklyn batting in the bottom of the fifth inning. The two Dodger runs came on a third-inning double by Dolph Camilli. Whit Wyatt is on the mound for Brooklyn, against Junior Thompson for Cincinnati.

The Sheffield Farms Company has agreed to accept half of a damage payment awarded as a result of a one-day wildcat strike by milk wagon drivers following a recommendation from the "impartial chairman of the milk industry." Sheffield had originally been awarded $10,000 in damages by arbitrator Arthur S. Meyer following the February 24th strike, but the company today agreed to Meyer's recommendation that they accept only half as a "settlement of all differences" between the dairy firm and Local 584 of the Milk Wagon Drivers, A. F. of L. The money will be set aside by the company for a pension fund intended to benefit "deserving long-time employees."

A twelve-year-old boy was killed and nine other persons injured when a fire truck speeding to a blaze at the Bush Terminal Building collided with a South Brooklyn trolley car at the height of last night's brief, slashing rainstorm. The boy, William Torres of 244 54th Street, was killed instantly when the truck struck the trolley at the intersection of 3rd Avenue and 39th Street. Police say the operator of the fire engine lost control of the vehicle while crossing the wet trolley tracks and the rear end of the truck skidded around and into the trolley car. The fire at Bush Terminal, which began in a pile of oily rags, was extinguished without significant damage.

The outbreak of fish-borne gastroenteritis that killed a 5 year old boy and sickened 33 other persons is now under control according to the Health Department. The seizure of 1800 pounds of smoked fish distributed by the Monticello Wholesale Fish Company by Department authorities before it could reach retail markets in Brooklyn determined that the contamination of the fish did not occur at the retail level, and all food-handling employees of the Sullivan County branch of the firm have been suspended from work pending further investigation.

D.G. writes to Helen Worth wondering if it's all right for a man's wife or a man's girl friend to kiss her boyfriend every time they meet. Helen says it's not the kisses you see that mean trouble -- it's the ones you don't.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jul_23__1940_(1).jpg

(When it comes to the big downtown showplace theatres, the Metropolitan is the place to go for the high-class prestige pictures. The Fox, however, takes a different tack.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jul_23__1940_(2).jpg

(He's not bald yet, but give him time.)

If the Dodgers want to remain serious contenders over the last two months of the pennant race, they've got to sweep Cincinnati in the current three-game series. That's all there is to it, warns Tommy Holmes as the clubs take the field today for a doubleheader at Ebbets Field. But if Bill McKechnie's defending NL champs sweep the Flock, you might as well throw in the towel for 1940, as there's nothing that will be able to stop the Reds from romping to their second consecutive flag. Only the Dodgers are even in the running at this point in the pennant chase, and it's going to take a full sweep of the present series to really give them a solid chance the rest of the way, but even two-out-of-three will keep them in the running. The Dodgers and Reds have played fifteen times so far this season, with seven left to play between them going into today's games, with the Reds holding the edge so far, 8 games to 7.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jul_23__1940_(4).jpg

Thirteen-year-old Stuart Erickson of Bay Shore is the winner in the Eagle's $50 Dodger contest, coming the closest of more than 4000 entries to exactly matching the line score of last Sunday's first game against the Cardinals. Stuart received his prize from Dodger shortstop Pee Wee Reese in a presentation today at the Eagle office.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jul_23__1940_(5).jpg
("Wait," says Joe. "Which one is the kid?" "Pee Wee's just a slow blooma," says Sally. "Give him a coupla years, he'll catch up.")

"The Light Of The World," a daytime serial based on Bible stories, is an unexpected radio success this summer, but sponsors were apprehensive at first about adapting the Scriptures to "modern daytime serial terms." They went ahead after receiving the endorsement of the Union Theological Seminary, which provides an advisory board to ensure that the scripts contain nothing inappropriate to the material.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jul_23__1940_(6).jpg
(Have you considered hypnotherapy?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jul_23__1940_(7).jpg
("Aunt Mary?" Wait, she's your grandmother! IT'S NOT THE REAL DENNIE! HE'S JUST ANOTHER CLEM SWILLER STOOGE! RUN, JOHN, RUN!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jul_23__1940_(8).jpg
(Deep down, Irwin Higgs knew that he was heading for a bad end, that his life of incompetent comedy-relief bumbling was drawing to its inevitable violent close. But when anyone, even this freakish temptress in the dime-store wig, called him "lovely boy," suddenly none of it seemed to matter...)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_23__1940_.jpg
Even at the age of 9, Jackie is fodder for Page Four. Get used to it, kid.

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_23__1940_(1).jpg

The draft is coming. Skeezix and Wilmer and Harold and Shadow and all the gang down at the Sugar Bowl are about to face a whole new world.

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_23__1940_(2).jpg
Odds that Kindly Sam Loved By All is about to run afoul of gangsters, spies, or international assassins now running at 1-1.

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_23__1940_(3).jpg
I don't know what's up with Hu Shee, but I do know one thing. If Pat sucks that pipe any harder, he's going to have an awful case of heartburn.

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_23__1940_(4).jpg
Hmph. If this turns out to be nothing but a common swami racket, I for one will be very disappointed.

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_23__1940_(5).jpg
"So how 'bout a roll in the hay?"

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_23__1940_(6).jpg
Behold the Gump ex Machina.

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_23__1940_(7).jpg
And back at the Sugar Bowl, they're all wondering who to send to go looking for Shadow.

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_23__1940_(8).jpg
With his wardrobe, Moon will fit right in in Hollywood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo