Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
1672599403141.png

Hydrate, son. Best way to fight it. And steer clear of any "hair of the dog" inclinations. That'll only defeat the purpose of drinking water.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Jan_2__1943_.jpg

("Ya gotta wonder," observes Sally, "if Sinkwich woulda eveh got his name inna papeh if he'd just kept 'is yap shut." "I'm glad you ain't inna movies," sighs Joe. "I ain' made out f'tat Hollywood life." "DInn' I eveh tell ya?" begins Sally. "I was inna movie oncet." "G'wan," dismisses Joe. "Ya wunnei'teh." "Strike me dead," declares Sally. "I was jus' a kid, foeh yeeahs ol', an' Ma took Mickey an' me, he was jus' a baby in a carriage t'en, downa Coney Islan' f't day, an' we seen t'is crowd -- t'ey was makin' a pitcheh wit' Fatty Awrbuckle, remembeh him? An' t'e'eh was'sis scene of a p'rade goin' by, an' t'ey made pitchehs o't'crowd, an' Ma an' Mickey an' me was right t'eah inna pitcheh." "G'wan!" gawps Joe. "My woid to you," insists Sally. "I don' remembeh eveh seein' t' pitcheh myse'f, but Ma t'tis day sweahs she seen us. Go ask 'eh!" "Well," shrugs Joe. "I'm glad y'din' stay wit'it. Show bus'ness like 'at ain' no life f'a kid.")

Governor Thomas E. Dewey began his first day of official duties today by declaring that he will cooperate to the fullest possible extent with the Roosevelt Administration in the prosecution of the war in New York State, but also pledged that in doing so, the State "will neither evade nor surrender its responsibilities." He further stressed that veterans returning home after the war will find jobs, setting postwar employment as a "cardinal objective" of his adminstration, pledging that veterans are entitled to "expect something better than the hopeless period of Government-made work and relief that they have known for the past decade." Mr. Dewey, the 40-year-old former racket-busting Manhattan District Attorney, was sworn in New Year's Day as the first Republican governor in New York in 20 years. He is already widely rumored as a likely presidential candidate in 1944.

President Roosevelt began the New Year by declaring a three-fold mission for the United Nations in the year ahead -- to press on with "the massed forces of free humanity until the present bandit assault upon civilization is completely crushed," to organize future relations among nations so that such forces of barbarism can never again break loose, and to "cooperate to the end that mankind may enjoy in peace and in freedom the unprecedented blessings which Divine Providence, thru the progress of civilization, has put within our reach."

King George VI, in a New Year's message to President Roosevelt, expressed appreciation for all that the United States has achieved "in the common cause under your inspiring leadership," and expressed confidence that "the recent victories of the United Nations are but forerunners of heavy blows which in the coming year will strike at the enemies of civilization."

Nazi Fuehrer Adolf Hitler, in his New Years' message to the German people, blamed the present war on "international Jewry, Roosevelt's Jewish brain trust, the Jewish press of America, Jewish broadcasting systems which are nothing else but an equally Jewish framework of the leadership of the Soviet Union." Hitler further stated that "the day will come when one of the contending parties of this struggle will collapse. That it will not be Germany, we know."

Six people are dead, five are seriously hurt, and thirteen are recovering from minor injuries, as Brooklyn, Queens, and Long Island close out their books on the New Year's holiday. The four counties extending from Greenpoint to Greenport were right in step with the national trend toward a safer and saner New Year's Eve, with casualty figures considerably lower nationwide. Though hotels, nightclubs, restaurants, and neighborhood bars and grills did a capacity business, strict enforcement of curfews, coupled with the gasoline shortage, led to far fewer incidents than last year. Police also reported far fewer drunks on the streets, at least by New York standards, and attendance at church holiday services was reported to be up. Most of the fatalities were related to auto accidents, but one of the victims, 60-year-old laborer Hugh J. Williamson of the Bronx, died by drowning, after falling off Pier 1, at the foot of 58th Street, just before dawn. Police say he had tripped in the darkness, lost his footing, and fell to his death.

A Queens policeman was treated for a gunshot wound to his leg, after his service revolver fell out of its holster and discharged. Patrolman James McDonald of the Glendale precinct had just returned to his Elmhurst home after his night's duties, and the gun snagged as he was taking off his coat.

Brooklyn's New Years Baby for 1943 is a six-pound girl, not yet named, born to Mr. and Mrs. Jack Brand of 474 Quincy Street, Bedford-Stuyvesant, at Beth Moses Hospital. Young Miss 1943 arrived a few seconds after midnight on New Years Day.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Jan_2__1943_(1).jpg

(We'll see.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Jan_2__1943_(2).jpg

(If by chance you found your way to the Times Square Paramount on New Year's Eve, you would have witnessed the very moment when this kid ceased to be Tommy Dorsey's former boy singer and burst forth upon an unexpecting world as FRANKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE., and also you would have witnessed the precise moment when "bobby soxers" became a force to be feared by the usual "kids today" cultural critics. We'll no doubt hear much from them all in the new year ahead.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Jan_2__1943_(3).jpg

("I mean, how do you fill a paper bag with water, anyway?")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Jan_2__1943_(4).jpg

("Yes Mr. Durocher, my boy, I said Yale," thunders Mr. Rickey. "Yale University! Old Eli! Soon my boy, soon, you and all your fierce young men shall matriculate!" "What??" sneers Leo. "And break trainin'?")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Jan_2__1943_(5).jpg

(KEEP EM FLYIN'!!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Jan_2__1943_(6).jpg

("Hippy?" Well, actually, if you want to be particular, her shoulders are much wider than her hips.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Jan_2__1943_(7).jpg

("Hah, don't worry Dan, I've got a whole box of cartridges in -- my -- suit -- coat....")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Jan_2__1943_(8).jpg

(WHEN YOU'RE A HERO DOG YOU'RE BOUND TO MAKE ENEMIES!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Jan_2__1943_(9).jpg

(SLAPPY! NO!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sat__Jan_2__1943_.jpg

There isn't enough soap in the world to clean up after Captain Edward Neinken.

Daily_News_Sat__Jan_2__1943_(1).jpg

You've got a better chance of building a 100,000-seat domed stadium in Flushing.

Daily_News_Sat__Jan_2__1943_(2).jpg

"Besides, I can't AFFORD to take them out to lunch! You know I'm a dollar-a-year man!"

Daily_News_Sat__Jan_2__1943_(3).jpg

Just please don't humiliate everybody by asking for chop suey.

Daily_News_Sat__Jan_2__1943_(4).jpg

Just how big of a town IS this?

Daily_News_Sat__Jan_2__1943_(5).jpg

AVENGE HIM!

Daily_News_Sat__Jan_2__1943_(6).jpg

You didn't bring your plane-spotting cards?

Daily_News_Sat__Jan_2__1943_(7).jpg

Look, at least call up Emmy Plushbottom and ask her how it worked out for HER.

Daily_News_Sat__Jan_2__1943_(8).jpg

I mean, seriously. You really need to ask her.

Daily_News_Sat__Jan_2__1943_(9).jpg

Meet Cute.

Nazi Fuehrer Adolf Hitler, in his New Years' message to the German people, blamed the present war on "international Jewry, Roosevelt's Jewish brain trust, the Jewish press of America, Jewish broadcasting systems which are nothing else but an equally Jewish framework of the leadership of the Soviet Union." Hitler further stated that "the day will come when one of the contending parties of this struggle will collapse. That it will not be Germany, we know."

What are you really trying to say, Adolf? It had to be news to the Jews in Russia that they were part of the "framework of leadership" in their country.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Jan_2__1943_(2).jpg

(If by chance you found your way to the Times Square Paramount on New Year's Eve, you would have witnessed the very moment when this kid ceased to be Tommy Dorsey's former boy singer and burst forth upon an unexpecting world as FRANKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE., and also you would have witnessed the precise moment when "bobby soxers" became a force to be feared by the usual "kids today" cultural critics. We'll no doubt hear much from them all in the new year ahead.)

All much to the reigning crooner Bing Crosby's chagrin and prompting this famous quote from Mr. Crosby, "Sinatra is the kind of singer that comes along once in a lifetime. Too bad it had to be my lifetime.”

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Sat__Jan_2__1943_.jpg

There isn't enough soap in the world to clean up after Captain Edward Neinken.

Is that 37 trysts with 37 different women? If so, you do have to give the guy some respect, that's not easy to do.

Has anyone checked on the whereabouts of the governor's wife as it sounds as if Leona might have amnesia?

Daily_News_Sat__Jan_2__1943_(5).jpg

AVENGE HIM!

As you've noted, of all our comicstrip writers, Gould is the best man for that job. Panel four is very sad making.

Daily_News_Sat__Jan_2__1943_(6).jpg

You didn't bring your plane-spotting cards?

Unfortunately, they can't afford to be wrong.

I hope the car drop off went well, Lizzie.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well, the good news is it's covered by a recall warranty - the bad news is it could take anywhere from two weeks to two months to get the part. They gave me a rental to drive home, and because it's a safety thing they'll cover the rental fee until the repair job is done. But the rental is an automatic, and I hate driving automatics because I keep stomping the brake with my clutch foot. I could drive the Plodge, but it doesn't like cold weather much. So I'm hoping for "two weeks" instead of "two months."

Well, the good news is it's covered by a recall warranty - the bad news is it could take anywhere from two weeks to two months to get the part. They gave me a rental to drive home, and because it's a safety thing they'll cover the rental fee until the repair job is done. But the rental is an automatic, and I hate driving automatics because I keep stomping the brake with my clutch foot. I could drive the Plodge, but it doesn't like cold weather much. So I'm hoping for "two weeks" instead of "two months."
"... they'll cover the rental fee until the repair job is done."

Hallelujah

All I got from Apple when my previous iPhone had a battery recall was the right to buy a new battery as a discounted price and I had to stand in Apple for two hours while they replaced the faulty battery that I was still paying something to replace.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Sold my Civic w/ 5 speed manual before we moved in 2019 and I really miss shifting. Especially on those rare (out here) ice and snow days. I have more control with a manual when things are slippery.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jan_3__1943_.jpg

("Sleepin' wit' a ovehcoat on!" grumbles Joe. "I ask ya!" "If it's 50 degrees innis jernt,"growls Sally, "I'll tap dance naked onna fieh escape." "Don' do t'at," sighs Joe. "You seen what happened t' Mawrgie Hawrt." "Leonora!" interjects Sally. "Stop puttin'nat farina in ya eeahs." "She's col'," observes Joe. "She's tryin' t'wawrm 'em up.")

Governor Thomas E. Dewey paused yesterday during his first working day in office to welcome Brooklyn Republican leader John R. Crews, whose fifteen minute visit was sandwiched between a limited number of others at the state executive offices in Albany. A host of Republican visitors who made their way to the capital for the inauguration stayed to bask in the reflected glory of the state's first GOP governor in twenty years. Other than making time for such political calls, the Governor spent the bulk of his first day on the job working on the message he will deliver to the new session of the Legislature when it opens on Wednesday.

The story of a naval battle in far northern waters began to take shape last night as Germany admitted the loss of an auxiliary cruiser and a destroyer, while the British admitted the loss of a corvette. A German communique stated that the battle took place on Thursday near Bear Island, about 315 miles south of Cape South, Spitzbergen, that it lasted several hours, and that over the course of that battle, German vessels damaged "several" Allied cruisers and destroyers. The British Admiralty also reported that a 10,000 ton enemy merchantman was seized by Allied patrols while attempting to evade the Atlantic blockade, and that after the crew was captured, the ship itself was scuttled.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jan_3__1943_(1).jpg

(For those keeping score at home.)

Police in Marlboro, New Jersey are seeking a woman described as "a dangerous psychopathic case," who escaped from the New Jersey State Hospital there on New Years' Eve. The woman, identified as Mrs. Edna Janssen Gilsenan, is believed to have escaped in an automobile driven by a man who had called twice at the hospital to visit her. The search has extended to and is centering in the city of Dover, where the man is believed to have lived. Police state that Mrs. Gilsenan had two husbands and a child who died under "mysterious circumstances," while a second child "mysteriously disappeared." She was committed to the hospital in 1937, after her baby Claire Gilsenan was found dead in a suitcase near a swimming pool in Philadelphia. Her primary accuser in that case was her oldest child, Mrs. Dorothy Imming, born in 1924. Mrs. Imming's father, who was Mrs. Gilsenan's first husband Casper J. Imming, was reported by his wife to have been killed in a railroad accident in Long Island City, but no records confirmed that death. She subsequently married Paul Janssen of Jersey City, and the couple's child Richard disappeaared in 1933, with a body never found. Mr. Janssen committed suicide that same year under suspicious circumstances. She married Vincent Gilsenan in 1935, and their daughter Claire was born the following year.

A stay of execution from Governor Dewey will keep Louis "Lepke" Buchalter out of the electric chair for the time being. Lepke had been scheduled to die at Sing Sing Prison on January 4th for the 1936 murder of Brownsville candy-store man Joseph Rosen, and former Governor Charles Poletti had declined to act in his case. It was indicated that the stay is in keeping with the terms of a writ issued by the U. S. Supreme Court, and will remain in force until the Court acts in the case.

Predicting the approach of another "jazz age" far worse than the one which followed World War I, the Women's Christian Temperance Union yesterday released a report urging "intelligent planning" before peace comes, and the enforcement of new laws intended to avert recurrence of "postwar mania." Meanwhile, a letter received by the Eagle from Dr. Maxwell H. Lanes, dentist, of 100 Clark Street, blamed the current rise in juvenile delinquency on "gangster movies," and demanded the suppression of such films. Dr. Lanes declared in a statement to the Eagle that dealing with the menace of "suggestive crime" should be considered of greater importance than seeking improvement in school facilities or home environment. "It is our duty," he maintained, " to find out where these gun-toters where and when they received their initial ideas of killing and robbing. I am positive that it can be traced to the movies. We have given them social workers, settlement houses, playgrounds, and a lot of other things we didn't have in our youth. And yet we have an increase in juvenile delinquency. We have got to look further for the cause, and if we look far enough I am sure we will find it in the gangster movies."

The Eagle Editorialist endorses the recommendation from Police Commissioner Valentine that pedestrians abroad at night should always wear something white, if only a white handkerchief tied around the arm, to enhance visibility in the dimout. "Under present conditions," the EE warns, "the hazard is multiplied."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jan_3__1943_(2).jpg

("And here, my boy," thunders Mr. Rickey, as he hands Mr. McDonald a small parcel, "is something which will stand you well in your new position, my boy! A phrase book, a French phrasebook. It has always been my position that learning the language of the locals is the first step to securing a solid and positive relationship in one's work. 'Ya bum ya!' You see? Even I am hard at it, dear boy, hard at it seeking to understand the language spoken by the fine citizens of this community." "Lemme see that," mutters Mr. McDonald, snatching the parcel from Mr. Rickey's hand, and tearing away the wrapper. "Save that paper, my boy," warns Mr. Rickey. We must account for every expenditure to the stockholders." "Yeah, sure," rattles Mr. McDonald as he riffles thru the book. "I had this call this morning, from that woman in Bensonhurst. I don't know how she found out, but she did. And she said to me 'adieu, cornichon', an' I wanna know what it means. How does a woman like that even know French? I ask ya! See, they've even got ME doing it!" "Ahhh," declares Mr. Rickey, "there is no end to the passion of the Brooklyn fan, dear boy. Remember this as you perform your duties, sir, and take comfort in the knowledge that your deeds in the far north will reflect well upon those of us remaining here in what many have been pleased to call 'the garden spot of the woild.' You notice, my boy, that I have adopted the local pronunciation. And now, sir, I bid you well, and I join with our passionate fans everywhere in saying to you, from the heart, sir, 'adieu, cornichon!" Oh, and would you drop this letter in the box on your way out?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jan_3__1943_(3).jpg

(The guy in Shamokin, Pa. who blew up his own house has to be my favorite crazy story of 1942, if only to prove that crazy stuff doesn't just happen in Brooklyn.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jan_3__1943_(4).jpg

("HMPH," hmphs Irwin Higgs. "MY GRANDPA TOLD ME ALL ABOUT HIS DAYS IN THE OLD WEST AND IT WAS NOTHING AT ALL LIKE THIS. SO THERE.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jan_3__1943_(5).jpg

(Yes, it's true -- Mr. Rickey never attends a Sunday game. But he always calls in to check the turnstiles. Oh, and where do you get skeleton wallpaper, anyway? I don't think they've got it at Sears.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jan_3__1943_(6).jpg

(Maybe you oughta give up this adventure-strip business and get a job in animated cartoons!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jan_3__1943_(7).jpg

(For Christmas, Phil got a backstage pass to "Star and Garter." Hey, where's Bobby Clark?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jan_3__1943_(8).jpg

(Wait, you were in "Tale of Two Cities??" Hey, what was Edna May Oliver really like? And yeah, "Secret Agent? I've heard of yuh!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jan_3__1943_(9).jpg

(That 4004 BC date was calculated by Archbishop James Ussher in 1664-65, based on the comparison of various births and deaths given in the Bible with known lists of ancient kings. To this day it is often found in the marginal notes of editions of the King James Version, where it forms the foundation for so-called "young Earth creationism.")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sun__Jan_3__1943_.jpg

Well, we know it isn't Babs from Long Island, because they know her on sight at Bellevue.

Daily_News_Sun__Jan_3__1943_(1).jpg

"Gerald MacArthur Eisenhower Pincus!" Solly's got a nephew!

Daily_News_Sun__Jan_3__1943_(2).jpg

AH HAH!!!!!!

Daily_News_Sun__Jan_3__1943_(3).jpg

"Slowwwwwly I turned..."

Daily_News_Sun__Jan_3__1943_(4).jpg

"We're putting on a road company show of 'Arsenic and Old Lace,' and you're just in time for opening night!'"

Daily_News_Sun__Jan_3__1943_(5).jpg

Actually, I think that's more of a rat.

Daily_News_Sun__Jan_3__1943_(6).jpg

SHOOT HIM NOW DON'T WAIT FOR JACK TO BOTCH IT UP

Daily_News_Sun__Jan_3__1943_(7).jpg

Hey Pop! You married yet?

Daily_News_Sun__Jan_3__1943_(8).jpg

Well, they do say Sharing the Ride is important.

Daily_News_Sun__Jan_3__1943_(9).jpg

Obviously, the dope who's doing the microfilming this week is in league with these spies, trying to keep us from finding out that they're looking for Doc Zaney's secret formula which ANNIE MUST'VE HIDDEN IN THE HOUSE because, after all, what else would you do with a secret formula? Oh, and Sandy -- really? A castle? That doesn't sound SCREWY AS ALL HELL to you????

Predicting the approach of another "jazz age" far worse than the one which followed World War I, the Women's Christian Temperance Union yesterday released a report urging "intelligent planning" before peace comes, and the enforcement of new laws intended to avert recurrence of "postwar mania." Meanwhile, a letter received by the Eagle from Dr. Maxwell H. Lanes, dentist, of 100 Clark Street, blamed the current rise in juvenile delinquency on "gangster movies," and demanded the suppression of such films. Dr. Lanes declared in a statement to the Eagle that dealing with the menace of "suggestive crime" should be considered of greater importance than seeking improvement in school facilities or home environment. "It is our duty," he maintained, " to find out where these gun-toters where and when they received their initial ideas of killing and robbing. I am positive that it can be traced to the movies. We have given them social workers, settlement houses, playgrounds, and a lot of other things we didn't have in our youth. And yet we have an increase in juvenile delinquency. We have got to look further for the cause, and if we look far enough I am sure we will find it in the gangster movies."

Just put LaGuardia in charge of post-war planning as he'll take away all the things that made the jazz age fun.

Yes, it's the gangster movies (that have been around since, at least, the 1920s) that explains the current rise in juvenile delinquency.

The Eagle Editorialist endorses the recommendation from Police Commissioner Valentine that pedestrians abroad at night should always wear something white, if only a white handkerchief tied around the arm, to enhance visibility in the dimout. "Under present conditions," the EE warns, "the hazard is multiplied."

Did this really require an editorial? Wouldn't a notice have been at least as effective as you're probably just making people aware more than swaying opinion or fighting an opposing point of view.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jan_3__1943_(3).jpg

(The guy in Shamokin, Pa. who blew up his own house has to be my favorite crazy story of 1942, if only to prove that crazy stuff doesn't just happen in Brooklyn.)

Not that any sentient adult should need another lesson, but the guy with a bite mark on each cheek is another example of why you should never pick up a hitchhiker (nor be one for that matter).

Daily_News_Sun__Jan_3__1943_(6).jpg

SHOOT HIM NOW DON'T WAIT FOR JACK TO BOTCH IT UP

As a reminder, The Fedora Lounge Rulebook for Killing a TV, Movie or Comic-Strip Enemy states: "Always kill your enemy as fast as you can and, then, check carefully to make sure he or she is dead."

It will be interesting to see if Mosley will have Cindy, no matter how justified, shoot a man when he's passed out. I'm guessing he won't.

Daily_News_Sun__Jan_3__1943_(9).jpg

Obviously, the dope who's doing the microfilming this week is in league with these spies, trying to keep us from finding out that they're looking for Doc Zaney's secret formula which ANNIE MUST'VE HIDDEN IN THE HOUSE because, after all, what else would you do with a secret formula? Oh, and Sandy -- really? A castle? That doesn't sound SCREWY AS ALL HELL to you????

The microfilmer is killing us this week - I couldn't really read Page Four and I wanted to learn more about the amnesia girl - but having done a similar job, many years ago, the tediousness of it hour and hour can cause you to become sloppy and not even really know it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
What's interesting is that it's only the even numbered pages that are blurred, which must have something to do with the way they're set up on the platen. The last time it happened it went on for nearly a month, which was highly irritating, but it's also proof of why you should never throw away the originals after doing a microfilm job. Too many papers exist *only* in this kind of degraded form.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Here's a look at how the pages we're looking at were shot, using the Kodak "Recordak" microfilm system, which became extremely popular from the 1930s to the 1970s.

microfilm.jpg

Note that the platen has crank adjustments for tilting to adjust the focal plane, and a foot control for taking the exposure. Mr. Operator should be checking his focus with every exposure but he is not doing so because it's a Friday and he wants to beat the rush on the BMT.

Here's a look at how the pages we're looking at were shot, using the Kodak "Recordak" microfilm system, which became extremely popular from the 1930s to the 1970s.

View attachment 478078
Note that the platen has crank adjustments for tilting to adjust the focal plane, and a foot control for taking the exposure. Mr. Operator should be checking his focus with every exposure but he is not doing so because it's a Friday and he wants to beat the rush on the BMT.

There is a scene in the 1944 movie "The Mask of Dimitrios" were a spy uses a set up very much like that one to make a copy of a map he's stealing, but unfortunately, I can't find a picture of it from the movie.

In one of my first jobs on Wall St, one of its tasks was reading microfiche film and writing down numbers (they were mortgage "factors" that drove bond pricing) from it.

Working with that flimsy film, a cumbersome machine and reading small numbers from long tables of numbers was mind-numbing, so you had to force yourself to be constantly alert as one mistake, even just one (transpose just one number wrong out of hundreds you did in a day) and the wrong price would be put on a trade ticket and that, pretty obviously, was a huge problem.

I was very happy to move on from that job, which of course no longer exists as the "factors" are now sent electronically and fed directly into the trading systems without a human ever touching them. So no one has to do that tedious but nerve-racking job anymore.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jan_4__1943_.jpg

("Whozis guy Beechwood," snorts Joe, "an' howzee get t'at way? I neveh seen HIM at Ebbets Feel!" "Maybe he's got culcheh," sniffs Sally, "but when WE get invited out ta eat, we don' tell off t'people feedin' us!" "Not most'a t'time, anyway," notes Joe. "T'at was on'y t'at one time," sighs Sally. "Anney haddit comin'. Sayin'nem t'ings about Petey! I ASK YA!")

Psychiatrists today will examine a 42-year-old waiter, accused by police in Mineola of fatally stabbing his daughter and his wife's sister and wounding her husband, and their daughter. Louis Valle is charged in a crazed knife attack that took place around midnight Saturday at the home of Nicholas and Olivia Seelig, 305 Jericho Turnpike, where the Seeligs maintained a furniture store with an apartment in the rear. Vallee's fifteen year old daughter Florentina had been living with the Seeligs since Valle separated from his wife a year ago. He had taken his daughter to his home at Port Richmond, Staten Island, and was returning him to the Seelig home when an argument broke out. According to Nassau County District Attorney Edward J. Neary, Mrs. Seelig upbraided Valle for his treatment of her sister, while Valle accused the Seeligs, in turn, of failing to properly supervised his daughter. Police say Valle then grabbed a large knife and chased Mrs. Seelig from the store to the apartment and plunged the blade into her back. She then staggered into a hallway, collapsed, and died. Mr. Seelig grabbed Valle by the throat, but Valle stabbed him in the neck and abdomen. When eleven-year-old Eleanor Seelig, awakened by the noise, rushed into the room, Valle then stabbed her. Florentina Valle ran into the street, clad in a nightgown and high-heeled shoes, but tripped and fell into a gutter, and her father fell on top of her, stabbed her in the back, and fled. Neighbors summoned police, who found Valle in some bushes, with the knife lying nearby on the ground.

United States and Australian troops under the personal direction of General Douglas MacArthur moved today against Japan's last stronghold in the Papuan area of New Guinea, with a small, desperate Japanese force pocketed in a salient around Cape Sanananda alone remaining to offer resistance after a savage weekend drive in which jungle-hardened American and Austrialian forces stormed and captured the government station at Buna. In a general assault led by General Stuart tanks, Allied troops with bayonets, hand grenades, and tommy guns slashed into the enemy thru swamps, coconut groves, and on the beaches, littering those beaches with Japanese dead. It was estimated that nearly 650 Japanese soldiers were killed in the drive, most in fierce hand-to-hand fighting.

The girl leader of a Soviet guerilla band personally led Red Army detachments into the midst of the German stronghold of Velikie Luki on the central Moscow front, it was reported by the Moscow radio today. Tamara Sumchakova identified the location of key German positions, it was stated, and at the head of her own guerilla detachment, led the Soviet attack.

Five of nine youths who have been operating together are jailed today in connection with the holdup last night of the Sea Beach Liquor Store, 311 Kings Highway, with the four others facing arraignment in Adolescent Court. Six of the nine are directly charged with the robbery, while two others are charged with supplying the guns used in the stickup, and the ninth youth is charged with grand larceny in the theft of a car used for the getaway. Police say three of the youths entered the store, forcing a delivery boy into a back room at gunpoint and robbing proprietor Mark Glaf of $70. Becoming panicky, one of the gunment then struck Glaf over the head with the butt of his pistol and the group fled, leaving behind $100 in the till.

A 45-year-old policeman from Bay Ridge is charged with killing a man and wounding another in a drunken argument early yesterday morning. Patrolman Harry A. Anderson of 375 87th Street was still incoherent from the effects of alcohol when he was arraigned yesterday afternoon before Magistrate Charles E. Ramsgate for the fatal shooting of 30-year-old Frank McCrink of 387 87th Street and the wounding of 28-year-old Sidney Murphy of 417 86th Street on the sidewalk outside Sheehan's Bar and Grill, 8702 4th Avenue. Police believe the incident stems from a longstanding feud among the three men. McCrink, a war worker with the Sperry Gyroscope Company, was to be sworn into the Navy as a chief petty officer tomorrow. His mother told police that her son and Murphy acted as "bodyguards" for Sheehan's bartender Jack Lyons, who had, it was learned, refused to serve Anderson on at least two occasions. Anderson was arrested at his home, where he was calmly preparing to go to bed. His service revolver was found on his dresser, with two cartridges fired.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jan_4__1943_(2).jpg

(I was just thinking we haven't had a good milk feud in a while...)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jan_4__1943_(3).jpg

("Helen O'Hara?" huffs Lois DeFee. "More like Helen O'Handbasket!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jan_4__1943_(9).jpg

(Hitler actually declared *both* the Japanese and the Chinese to be "Honorary Aryans". This is what is known as "hedging your bet." And then the Chinese indicated they weren't too impressed by that "honor.")

Longtime reader Biddy Briggs says there's more than enough blame to go around for the present problem of juvenile delinquency, with both parents and teachers entitled to claim a share. "There are no bad children," she maintains. "There are incompetent teachers and lax parents."

A nickel soft drink consumed by a 41-year-old Bay Ridge man at a drugstore counter on Saturday night cost him a total of $25.05 after he was found guilty of disorderly conduct in Weekend Court. William Wilbur of 205 71st Street stopped into David Loeb's pharmacy at 9402 5th Avenue for a soda, and then went on a rampage, picking fights with other customers and then, when Loeb ejected him from the store, he kicked in the plate glass window. Magistrate Charles Solomon fined Wilbur $10 for disorderly conduct, and charged him $15 for the broken window, and a nickel for the soda. "What would you do," wondered the Magistrate, "if you had a really strong drink?"

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jan_4__1943_(10).jpg

(As John McDonald sleeps the sleep of the just, he is roused by a jingling telephone. "WHAT'S THIS NONSENSE I HEAR ABOUT YOU GOING TO MONTREAL?" roars an unmistakable bellow before he can bring the receiver to his ear. "YOU CAN'T ABANDON YOUR STATION, IT'S RIGHT THERE IN THE ARTICLES OF WAR, PAGE NUMBER -- OH, I CAN'T BE BOTHERED LOOKING THINGS UP IN BOOKS, DON'T YOU KNOW THERE'S A WAR ON?" "Colonel," stammers Mr. McDonald. "I told you I don't work for..." "YOU COULD BE SHOT FOR THIS! SHOT FOR THIS!" "Colonel, it's two in the morning, and I've got a lot of packing to do tomorrow..." "I'M ARRANGING TO HAVE YOU TRANSFERRED TO MY PERSONAL STAFF! OH IT'LL MEAN PULLING SOME STRINGS, BUT YOU KNOW WHAT WE SAY IN THE ARMY, R. H. I. P.!" "Colonel..." "EXPECT YOUR ORDERS BY WIRE IN THE MORNING! OH, AND SEND DRESSEN IN HERE, I HAVE A MISSION FOR HIM TOO! TOP SECRET! BEHIND THE LINES! THAT'S ALL! DISMISSED! " And poor John McDonald buries his head in the pillow and wonders if there'll ever be any escape.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jan_4__1943_(4).jpg

(And please welcome our new guest star, glamorous Miss Joan Crawford.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jan_4__1943_(5).jpg

("Look, this guy Dunn just isn't cutting it," says Mrs. Kay Harrington, Secret Operative 49. "How'd you like a job?")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jan_4__1943_(6).jpg

("And ordinary sherrifs don't like wise guys from th' city pokin' into their rackets! Get'm up, chin boy!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jan_4__1943_(7).jpg

("DON'T WORRY FOLKS, TRIX IS NOT REALLY A COWARDLY CRAVEN CUR, IT'S JUST THAT EVERY NUMBER ONE HERO DOG NEEDS A GOOD FOIL.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jan_4__1943_(8).jpg

("It's just another stupid secret lair. Everybody's got one, yeah yeah yeah!")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__Jan_4__1943_.jpg

"Well known playboys" eventually get what's coming to them.

Daily_News_Mon__Jan_4__1943_(1).jpg

"Besides," says the Sergeant, "crap games are no fun if you don't have any money."

Daily_News_Mon__Jan_4__1943_(2).jpg

An AUTHOR? DON'T TRUST HIM!

Daily_News_Mon__Jan_4__1943_(3).jpg

That's enough, Mr. Gould. We don't need to see the poor little dog anymore.

Daily_News_Mon__Jan_4__1943_(4).jpg

Yeah, but the trip home is brutal.

Daily_News_Mon__Jan_4__1943_(5).jpg

"One moment. We have this handy reference booklet by the American Mr. Caniff on how to recognize a Japanese soldier. Please trouble us to remove your shoes."

Daily_News_Mon__Jan_4__1943_(6).jpg

"Arthur Murray Taught Me Dancing In A Hurry."

Daily_News_Mon__Jan_4__1943_(7).jpg

Better knock and see if anyone's home first.

Daily_News_Mon__Jan_4__1943_(8).jpg

Willie's stronger than he looks.

Daily_News_Mon__Jan_4__1943_(9).jpg

"Smart's the name. Alec Smart. Call me 'Shadow.' Ummm, not fooling you, am I?"

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jan_4__1943_.jpg

("Whozis guy Beechwood," snorts Joe, "an' howzee get t'at way? I neveh seen HIM at Ebbets Feel!" "Maybe he's got culcheh," sniffs Sally, "but when WE get invited out ta eat, we don' tell off t'people feedin' us!" "Not most'a t'time, anyway," notes Joe. "T'at was on'y t'at one time," sighs Sally. "Anney haddit comin'. Sayin'nem t'ings about Petey! I ASK YA!")

Since, I assume, the original pants bandits are either in jail or out on bail, but if out, not brazen enough to be committing crimes while waiting for their trial, it appears we have a copycat pants burglar.

It will feel like old home week when Waxy Gordon goes back to jail. One also assumes it will be for several years, as you have to believe the parole board will make him serve his full sentence for the income-tax issue since he committed a crime while out on parole. I've watched enough film noir movies to know that's a big no-no.

The girl leader of a Soviet guerilla band personally led Red Army detachments into the midst of the German stronghold of Velikie Luki on the central Moscow front, it was reported by the Moscow radio today. Tamara Sumchakova identified the location of key German positions, it was stated, and at the head of her own guerilla detachment, led the Soviet attack.

Her accomplishments will be the inspiration for a new Pravda comicstrip, "Little Comrade Annie."

(As John McDonald sleeps the sleep of the just, he is roused by a jingling telephone. "WHAT'S THIS NONSENSE I HEAR ABOUT YOU GOING TO MONTREAL?" roars an unmistakable bellow before he can bring the receiver to his ear. "YOU CAN'T ABANDON YOUR STATION, IT'S RIGHT THERE IN THE ARTICLES OF WAR, PAGE NUMBER -- OH, I CAN'T BE BOTHERED LOOKING THINGS UP IN BOOKS, DON'T YOU KNOW THERE'S A WAR ON?" "Colonel," stammers Mr. McDonald. "I told you I don't work for..." "YOU COULD BE SHOT FOR THIS! SHOT FOR THIS!" "Colonel, it's two in the morning, and I've got a lot of packing to do tomorrow..." "I'M ARRANGING TO HAVE YOU TRANSFERRED TO MY PERSONAL STAFF! OH IT'LL MEAN PULLING SOME STRINGS, BUT YOU KNOW WHAT WE SAY IN THE ARMY, R. H. I. P.!" "Colonel..." "EXPECT YOUR ORDERS BY WIRE IN THE MORNING! OH, AND SEND DRESSEN IN HERE, I HAVE A MISSION FOR HIM TOO! TOP SECRET! BEHIND THE LINES! THAT'S ALL! DISMISSED! " And poor John McDonald buries his head in the pillow and wonders if there'll ever be any escape.)

:)

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Mon__Jan_4__1943_.jpg

"Well known playboys" eventually get what's coming to them.

I think a few pieces are still missing from this story as the ones we have don't make a complete picture, yet.

Daily_News_Mon__Jan_4__1943_(9).jpg

"Smart's the name. Alec Smart. Call me 'Shadow.' Ummm, not fooling you, am I?"

The tables had to turn on Harold as things had been going too well for him for too long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto