Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And also..

Daily_News_Sat__Aug_7__1943_(4).jpg

"In some cases." HEAR THAT SANDY?

And finally...

Daily_News_Sat__Aug_7__1943_(5).jpg

"HAH!" hahs Sally. "HE'D BE RIGHT AT HOME!"

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Aug_7__1943_(1).jpg

("Whatcha lookin' at?" queries Joe, as he watches Leonora toy with a stack of nickels while Ma ponders an official-looking paper. "Lettar from the Provost Maarshal," she sighs. "Aboout me Michael. Says here thaat prisonaars of war in Garrmany are receivin' 'fair treatment' undarr the Geneva Convention, and thaat if any furthaar infarmation is received, they will send anotharr lettar. And then it says all this aboot how I will receive instructions on how to wroit to him when plaace of intarrnment is known, an' tharrs a farrm t'use when wroitin' an' all that. An' that his parrsonal effects will be sent to me as soon as transpaartation can be arranged. Aand thar's lots of othar stuff here, about Red Craas packages and what not. Says a lot, boot it doon't say much." Ma hands Joe the letter and the mimeographed circular that came with it, and he skims it over as Ma twists a dishrag in frustration. "Guess t'eh doin' what t'eh doin'," he shrugs. "Butcha know he's awright, an'nat'seh impoehtn' t'ing, right?" "I suppose," sighs Ma. "Seems sometimes I spent haalf me life woonderin' if Michael's gon' t' be aaalright." "He awrways is," nods Joe. "I neveh see nobody could get outta trouble like Mickey. Sal says he's got moeh lives'na cat. She says one time one time when he was a kid he was hitchin' a ride onna back've a trolley an' fell awf an' when he got up he was staggehrin', an' got knocked down again by a wagon, an'nen'a hawrse stepped on 'im." "He punched the haarse," recalls Ma, "an' got in an aaahful foit with the droivarr. Twelve yaars old, he was." "T'em Goimans don' know what t'ey got hold of," agrees Joe. "They'll foind out," hopes Ma.)

I've seen those leaflets before, but my very quick Google search only produced this one ⇩ from the summer of '42. Still, it will give you a sense of what they were like and how freakin' frightening it must have been for the average German reading them after they floated to the ground.

From the leaflet:
“We are bombing Germany, city by city, and ever more terribly, in order to make it impossible for you to go on with the war. That is our object. We shall pursue it remorselessly. City by city; Lübeck, Rostock, Cologne, Emden, Bremen, Wilhelmshaven, Duisburg, Hamburg — and the list will grow longer and longer. Let the Nazis drag you down to disaster with them if you will. That is for you to decide. We are coming by day and by night. No part of the Reich is safe. People who work in [factories] live close to them. Therefore we hit your houses, and you.”

The death of a 30-year-old oil heiress was caused directly by her fall from a 16th story window, according to the reports of the city's Chief Medical Examiner and Chief Toxicologist. Manhattan District Attorney Frank Hogan indicated today that the reports rule out foul play in the death of Mrs. Janet Snowden Gill, who plunged from a window of her apartment in the Savoy Plaza Hotel on June 1st. The District Attorney did not reveal whether he intends to continue to investigate the case, as has been requested by the dead woman's family. Her husband, Capt. William Sherman GIll of the Army Intelligence Service, stated that he had just induced her to abandon plans to divorce him, and was asleep in another room when she fell from the window.

Okay, I guess. Could be true. All the same, I'll be just as happy if my sister doesn't go out with the widower Gill.

The Eagle Editorialist rebukes those who feel that Dolph Camilli owes it to the Giants to try and play for them this season, following the unfortunate waiver trade that took him out of Brooklyn. "He feels that his baseball days are over," notes the EE, "and he has a California ranch that needs his attention. Why should he stay here to prolong the agony? He takes with him the affection and admiration of thousands. All of us wish him well and know that though he is now old for baseball, he is still young enough to be as successful in a new career as he was in the old. All Brooklyn says 'Good luck, Camilli!'"

cary-grant-coroca.gif

("Foueht' place!" erupts Sally. "Foehteen'a half games out! An'awl Leo c'n do is KICK T'UMPIEH! I ASK YA!" "Least he c'd do," grumbles Alice, "is TACK'L 'IM!" "Whe'zat Frankie Ge'mano guy when ya need 'im?" Sally agrees. "I met'im oncet," nods Alice. "When I was goin' wit' Hig. We met'im inna 'Ol' Reliable' one night. Cute kid, but nawt me type, y'know? Kin'a shawrt." "Hmph," hmphs Sally. "Y'like'm tawl, do ya? What's Krause, five foot t'ree?" "Sid is," declares Alice, with a wrinkle of her Pert Irish Nose, "lawrgeh t'en life." "He'd hafta be," shrugs Sally. "What?" "Nut'n.")

While I'm sure he's no catch himself, I'm thinking Krause might want to take your "live alone and like it!" advice.

Nice to see Sally using Joe's line on Alice.

National League President Ford Frick declared yesterday that all waiver transactions are made at the buyers' own risk, indicating that the Giants are owed no refund of the $7500 they paid for Dolph Camilli. Asked if the Dodgers did not have a "moral obligation" to refund the money now that Camilli has declared his retirement from baseball, the league president declared that that judgement "is up to Mr. Rickey."

Rickey's assistant: "President Ford ruled in your favor."
Rickey: "Of course he did!"
Rickey's assistant: "He did note it was up to you if you felt a moral obligation to refund the money to the Giants."
Rickey: "Bahahahahahaha, cough!, cough!"
Rickey's assistant: "Can I get you a glass of water, Sir?"
Rickey [Catching his breath] "Yes, thank you. In the future, please don't make me laugh that hard."
Rickey's assistant: "Yes, Sir."

Daily_News_Sat__Aug_7__1943_(6).jpg

"Dear, have you cleaned out the basement? That old refrigerator is taking up space!"

How many people in '43 really had old refrigerators not in use?

Can't you imagine a young Ian Fleming taking notes.

Daily_News_Sat__Aug_7__1943_(9).jpg

"And preferably something waterproof. You know how they like to rinse!"

"Anything by Ursula Parrott should do the trick, ma'am. You have heard of Miss Parrott?"

And also..
Daily_News_Sat__Aug_7__1943_(4)-2.jpg

"In some cases." HEAR THAT SANDY?

"I appreciate the compliment and won't say anything disparaging about Bo at this time."
354075-32377569fc0f2c618ba11c4ec4268395.jpg

World's Number One Unaware Dog

Daily_News_Sat__Aug_7__1943_(5).jpg

"HAH!" hahs Sally. "HE'D BE RIGHT AT HOME!"

Within in one year, he'd have sold off the best half of Camilli's herd.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Aug_8__1943_.jpg

("Nine inna row," groans Joe, as Stella the Cat regards him with her bright green eyes from her perch on the windowsill. "Whatcha gonna do?" he adds, with a rhetorical shrug. Stella slowly blinks her eyes in response, and Joe accepts her point with equanimity. "Yeh, ya right," he agrees. "Ain' much ya CAN do." "I wouldn' say t'at," interjects Sally, bustling in from the bedroom arrayed in a trim summer suit, a clipboard in one hand, and Leonora, also crisply dressed, carried on her hip. "Uh oh," uh ohs Joe. "Wheah yeh goin awl dressed up?" "Choich," declares Sally. "You neveh go t'choich," dismisses Joe. "You neveh been t'no choich since I knowed ya." "I ain' goin' t' choich f'me," Sally continues. "I'm goin' t' choich in Fawrest Hills." At this statement, Joe leans back in his chair, a look of concern flicking across his usually-placid features. "What kin'a choich ya goin' to in Fawrest Hills?" he inquires, his eyes narrowing. "What kin'a religion t'ey got in Fawrest Hills?" "I'm gonna meet somebody t'eh," Sally replies, tying a lace bonnet over her protesting daughter's curls. "I'm gonna give 'im a message." "Ah," ahs Joe, pausing to absorb this information. "For he has sown t'wind," prophesies Sally, "an' he shall reap t'whoilwind!" "Huh," huhs Joe. "Hey, who said t'at, anyways?" "*I* did," affirms Sally, as she kisses her husband on the top of his head and strides purposefully out the door. As her clattering steps recede down the stairs, Joe turns to Stella, who returns his gaze. "What," he shrugs, "awr ya gonna do?")

War plane production lagged behind schedules during July, but still set a new production record of 7373 military aircraft. Figures released yesterday by the War Production Board noted that production exceeded June's output, both by weight and numerically, by four percent. WPB Chairman Donald L. Nelson and Executive Vice Chairman Charles E. Nelson further disclosed in their joint statement that production of heavy bombers was up 13 percent over June. However, the statement noted, this heavy production failed to meet quotas, due largely to manpower shortages on the West Coast. Wilson intends to leave Washington for the Coast next week to investigate personally what might be done to eliminate those factors keeping production from meeting its goals.

Hand-to-hand fighting between French patriots and German occupation troops is reported today in the streets of Paris. The French Committee of Liberation reported from its headquarters in Algiers that daylight attacks by the underground against German personnel and installations in Paris are increasing, with unrest reported thruout France. Twelve Germans were reported killed by grenades at La Vallois, where streets were cordoned off by Gestapo agents backed by Nazi troops, and an arms depot at St. Cloud was raided by French partisans in broad daylight, with three German sentinels killed. All leaves for German personnel in Paris were canceled, and machine gun nests have been placed in the middle of Paris's broad boulevards.

Air reconnaissance photos were officially reported today to have confirmed that railroad traffic thruout southern Italy has been brought to a virtual standstill by Allied bombing. Bomb craters block most of the tracks at Bologna, and the Littorio yards at Rome have moved no traffic since the American bombing raid of July 19th.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Aug_8__1943_(1).jpg

(Brooklyn is the world, the world is Brooklyn.)

OPA investigators yesterday ordered the closing of Toots Shor's Restaurant in Manhattan after overturning a prior decision by Chief Hearing Commissioner Harry B. Chambers allowing the popular bar and steak house to continue operating despite being in arrears on ration points. In a decision issued July 2nd, Chambers allowed the establishment to remain open, but gave its management 12 months to make up the point shortage. In issuing that decision, Chambers declared that it was his policy to "penalize violators of OPA regulations, but not destroy them." That ruling was appealed immediately by chief OPA district enforcement officer Mitchell Jeline, and yesterday that appeal was upheld in Washington by acting hearing commissioner Talbot Smith. In his ruling, Smith declared that Jeline had no authority to exercise such discretion in enforcing OPA regulations, and ordered the restaurant closed until the 103,193-point shortage is made good.

A new citywide fat salvage campaign begins tomorrow, offering prizes ranging from war bonds and stamps to a night club dinner as the personal guests of Broadway comedians Olsen and Johnson. That prize, along with two tickets to the August 24th performance of "Sons o' Fun" and a $25 war bond, will go to the Brooklyn resident who turns in the most fat to their neighborhood meat dealer by August 14th.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Aug_8__1943_(2).jpg

(He fooled Harding?? So did a lot of people.)

The Eagle Editorialist fumes at comments by Parks Commissioner Robert Moses in a New York Times article concerning the efforts some time ago to move the equestrian statue of General Grant at Brooklyn's Grant Plaza to Manhattan as an accoutrement of Grant's Tomb. Commissioner Moses mocked Brooklyn people for forcing the abandonment of this proposal, and the EE takes strong offense at the tone of his comments, declaring that "yes, Brooklyn DOES insist on keeping its statue of General Grant. And it's probably a good thing that it would be impractical to move the imposing Brooklyn Museum or our new Central Library across the East River. It may even be fortunate that the eastern end of the Brooklyn Bridge is permanently embedded in the soil of this borough, else there might be a desire in Manhattan to shift the span elsewhere, so that the good people there would not be contaminated by such close contact with a place so provincial as Brooklyn." The EE concludes that the Grant statue incident in itself is merely one example of an attitude "typical of Manhattanites toward Brooklyn, against which it is necessary to fight if we are not to be walked over constantly."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Aug_8__1943_(3).jpg

("NOOOOOOO!" wails Mr. Owen. "NOT THAT ARROW AGAIN!")

Tommy Holmes reviews Mr. Rickey's public statements that he would not tolerate a pitcher on his club who resorts to the deliberate beanball, and finds them wanting when measured against certain hurlers who worked for Mr. Rickey in St. Louis. The names of Burleigh Grimes and Dizzy Dean head the list of Cardinal pitchers known to favor the high hard one. After noting that Boily pitched a Rickey club to a pennant and a World Series, Tommy notes that "we saw enough of Grimes around here to know that he'd throw at his grandfather if he thought it would help him win a ball game." As for Dean, Tommy notes that he spoke to the pitcher-turned-broadcaster during the Dodgers' most recent trip to St. Louis, and lovable Ol' Diz told him to his face that nobody would get eight straight hits off him, as the Cards did off the Dodgers, "because somebody would be carried off the field on a stretcher before that could happen." After recalling one particular game during which Dean fired four straight pitches at Dodger catcher Clyde Sukeforth's head before finally knocking him cold in the dirt, Tommy observes that "Dean's batterymate at the time was Mr. James Wilson, now manager of the Cubs, and perhaps the loudest yelper about Dodger terrorism in the league."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Aug_8__1943_(4).jpg

(Here kitty kitty kitty...)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Aug_8__1943_(5).jpg

(That's a mighty sturdy restaurant stool.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Aug_8__1943_(6).jpg

(Yeah, well, wait'll YOU get past thirty and you say goodbye to that 22-inch waist!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Aug_8__1943_(7).jpg

(Nobody picnics there anymore, it's too crowded. And there's no way this foolishness in Alhambra will ever catch on.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Aug_8__1943_(9).jpg

(Most MANIPULATIVE LITTLE KID EVER. And speaking of kids, take a tip from Dan Dunn -- and don't play with scissors!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_8__1943_.jpg

"I tell ye, Nora," huffs Uncle Frank, a forkful of breakfast eggs held in abeyance to allow for the remark, "the Warrr Prodooction Baard wants to make it impaaasible f'ra man to arrrn an honnest livin'." "Ahhh," dismisses Ma Sweeney, between bites of toast, "ye'll get by." "P'raps," acknowledges Uncle Frank. "As loong as they stay oota me g'rage in Bushwick..." "Sivin hundred gallons a week now, is it?" comments Ma, sipping her tea. "Eight," chuckles Uncle Frank. "Joost like th' oooold days." "Yaarrr as yoong as ya feel," grins Ma. "Yooonger," laughs Uncle Frank with an insouciant wink as he flicks a speck of egg off his bathrobe lapel.

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_8__1943_(2).jpg

"Hey Gran'ma, show us again about the nickels!"

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_8__1943_(3).jpg

I mean, you do have to admire the ingenuity.

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_8__1943_(4).jpg

And you better leave a good tip!

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_8__1943_(5).jpg

Aren't there any kindly old ladies in 1943 who are, you know, actual kindly old ladies?

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_8__1943_(6).jpg

"I'm changed - and just as unpredictable as ever! In other words I haven't changed a bit! RIGHT?"

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_8__1943_(7).jpg

We'll look up your credentials later. And I call it a "scalpel," but it's really a butter knife.

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_8__1943_(8).jpg

Dimples was one of Shadow's many high school girlfriends, and things haven't changed a bit.

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_8__1943_(9).jpg

Judy doesn't realize what strip she appears in.

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_8__1943_(10).jpg

Somewhere in the Mullins family there's a hard-working sober-sided solid citizen, but we'll never meet him.

("Nine inna row," groans Joe, as Stella the Cat regards him with her bright green eyes from her perch on the windowsill. "Whatcha gonna do?" he adds, with a rhetorical shrug. Stella slowly blinks her eyes in response, and Joe accepts her point with equanimity. "Yeh, ya right," he agrees. "Ain' much ya CAN do." "I wouldn' say t'at," interjects Sally, bustling in from the bedroom arrayed in a trim summer suit, a clipboard in one hand, and Leonora, also crisply dressed, carried on her hip. "Uh oh," uh ohs Joe. "Wheah yeh goin awl dressed up?" "Choich," declares Sally. "You neveh go t'choich," dismisses Joe. "You neveh been t'no choich since I knowed ya." "I ain' goin' t' choich f'me," Sally continues. "I'm goin' t' choich in Fawrest Hills." At this statement, Joe leans back in his chair, a look of concern flicking across his usually-placid features. "What kin'a choich ya goin' to in Fawrest Hills?" he inquires, his eyes narrowing. "What kin'a religion t'ey got in Fawrest Hills?" "I'm gonna meet somebody t'eh," Sally replies, tying a lace bonnet over her protesting daughter's curls. "I'm gonna give 'im a message." "Ah," ahs Joe, pausing to absorb this information. "For he has sown t'wind," prophesies Sally, "an' he shall reap t'whoilwind!" "Huh," huhs Joe. "Hey, who said t'at, anyways?" "*I* did," affirms Sally, as she kisses her husband on the top of his head and strides purposefully out the door. As her clattering steps recede down the stairs, Joe turns to Stella, who returns his gaze. "What," he shrugs, "awr ya gonna do?")

Give a little thought to where you are going to get the bail money (for Sally and Alice) and then just go about your day, Joe. They'll get in touch with you when they need you.

War plane production lagged behind schedules during July, but still set a new production record of 7373 military aircraft. Figures released yesterday by the War Production Board noted that production exceeded June's output, both by weight and numerically, by four percent. WPB Chairman Donald L. Nelson and Executive Vice Chairman Charles E. Nelson further disclosed in their joint statement that production of heavy bombers was up 13 percent over June. However, the statement noted, this heavy production failed to meet quotas, due largely to manpower shortages on the West Coast. Wilson intends to leave Washington for the Coast next week to investigate personally what might be done to eliminate those factors keeping production from meeting its goals.

"We are coming by day and by night."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Aug_8__1943_(5).jpg

(That's a mighty sturdy restaurant stool.)

Nobody promoted his personal brand more than Hitchcock and at a time when directors, for the most part, were all but unknown to or unthought of, anyway, by the public.

So, Anthony Eden's mother encourage her son to go to college...dog bites man.

And in the Daily News...

"I tell ye, Nora," huffs Uncle Frank, a forkful of breakfast eggs held in abeyance to allow for the remark, "the Warrr Prodooction Baard wants to make it impaaasible f'ra man to arrrn an honnest livin'." "Ahhh," dismisses Ma Sweeney, between bites of toast, "ye'll get by." "P'raps," acknowledges Uncle Frank. "As loong as they stay oota me g'rage in Bushwick..." "Sivin hundred gallons a week now, is it?" comments Ma, sipping her tea. "Eight," chuckles Uncle Frank. "Joost like th' oooold days." "Yaarrr as yoong as ya feel," grins Ma. "Yooonger," laughs Uncle Frank with an insouciant wink as he flicks a speck of egg off his bathrobe lapel.

Why is Frank in his bathrobe? Hmm.

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_8__1943_(3).jpg

I mean, you do have to admire the ingenuity.

But let us not forget The Fedora Lounge Rulebook for Killing a TV, Movie or Comic-Strip Enemy, which states: "Always kill your enemy as fast as you can and, then, check carefully to make sure he or she is dead."

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_8__1943_(6).jpg

"I'm changed - and just as unpredictable as ever! In other words I haven't changed a bit! RIGHT?"

It's nice to see that actresses, like Anita Ekberg, who got their start in comicstrips, could later make the career jump to motion pictures. You know Sandy's thinking about this. "What has she got that I don't?" "Well, umm, er, uh, oy."
12ekberg01-superJumbo.jpg

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_9__1943_.jpg

("Hah!" snorts Sally, slapping the paper with the back of her hand. "T'ey can' even GIVE tickets away! Soives t' fathead right!" "I still t'ink he was at t'at choich yes'tday," fumes Alice. "Somebody musta tipp'd 'im t'at we was comin'. He hadda be in disguise. T'at one fella t'eh wit' t' lawng whiskehs -- I betcha t'at was him. A'maybe t'at fat lady sitt'n alone inna back. T'at coulda been him." "It don' matteh," dismisses Sally. "He's onna run now, y'can see it awl oveh town. Awla papehs is on 'is neck. How many names we get onnat petition? An' t'es a doz'n utteh p'titions goin' aroun'. He ain' gotta chance. Nex' t'ing ya know it's gonna be Branch Fathead, pres'dn't of t' St. Louis Browns. You wait'n see." "T'at was a pretty good soimon, t'ough," muses Alice. "At choich, I mean. Awlabout f'giveness. T'at guy up t'eh preachin' awmos' makes me wanna f'give Hig f'bein' such a joik. He can' help it, he was bawrn t'at way." "I ain' f'givin' Rickey t' fathead, t'ough," growls Sally. "Y'ain' bawrn a fathead, y'gotta woik hawrd t'BECOME a fathead. He made his oatmeal, now lie innit. Afteh awl, what he done t'Petey..." "I t'ought MacPhail done'at," points out Alice. "Well," grumbles Sally, "Rickey could'a undone it, an'ee didn't. T'at's whatcha cawl ya sin of omission. Means when ya coulda done t'right t'ing, but di'n't." "Ah," nods Alice. "Like t'at time I coulda hit Hig wit' t'at pot roast, an' I miss't." "Yeh," eyerolls Sally. "Sump'n like t'at.")

Rumors that a military coup mounted by high-ranking German officers may soon topple Hitler from power are rampant in Europe today, even as informed sources indicate that major diplomatic moves will develop this week, possibly toward the goal of removing Italy from the war. Allied observers are discounting reports that a sudden conference last week of German military officials and high officers of the Nazi Party at Hitler's headquarters presaged Hitler's fall from power but it was generally believed that the subject of the conference was the worsening situation for Germany on both the military and home fronts. Meanwhile, President Roosevelt and Prime Minister Churchill were understood today to be considering new peace proposals from Italy, and the possibility -- remote though it may be -- that Hitler might be ousted has led to speculation that the President and the Prime Minister may soon confer with Premier Stalin to determine future Allied policy.

Finland is expected today to try and extricate itself from the war as a result of Germany's deteriorating position on the Russian Front and the psychological effect of Sweden cutting off Nazi transit across the country. Evidence was reported that the situation is building to a climax in Helsinki, with important conferences reported in the highest levels of the Finnish Government, with Finland's position expected to become untenable if the Nazis contemplate a general withdrawal from exposed positions in Russia. It is expected, however, that Russia will accept peace terms from Finland only on the basis of a return to the 1940 boundaries between the two countries and the replacement of the present Nazi-friendly Finnish government with one more "neighborly" to Russia.

A California clergyman predicted yesterday that the end of the present war will be followed by "a mad jazz age" that will make the one that followed the First World War "seem like a knitting bee." Speaking before a congregation in Poland Spring, Maine the Reverend Charles Forbes Taylor of Pasadena, Cal. made his prediction on the basis of the "mad pursuit of pleasure now evident in the large cities," with thousands of Americans said to be "subscribing to the philosophy of 'eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we may die."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_9__1943_(1).jpg
("And for my next number, I shall perform 'Bella Figlia dell'Amore!' All four parts!")

Charges that the U. S. Government was overcharged by $480,000 by the contracting firm that built the Sperry Gyroscope Company's Nassau County plant were leveled in a lawsuit filed today in Manhattan Federal Court. The action, brought by subcontractor Theodore Weilant, alleges that the Stone and Webster Engineering Corporation illegally assumed the expenses of subcontractors in order to reap illegal profits on a cost-plus basis. Under the terms of its contracts with the Defense Plant Corporation, Stone and Webster was barred from making a profit on any work performed by or any materials used by subcontractors on the project. Stone and Webster let out $8,000,000 in subcontracts on the $45,000,000 plant in Great Neck. The suit charges that those subcontractors were required to enter into arrangements with Stone and Webster under which the subcontractors' employees were listed on the books as employees of the engineering firm, and that false bills, receipts, claims, and affadavits were submitted on that basis. If found liable under the suit, Stone and Webster will pay double damages -- half to the Government and half to Weilant as the informer who brought the case.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_9__1943_(2).jpg

(Mike Todd produces Gypsy's new play -- and George S. Kaufman directs?? What's next, she runs for Congress? TAKE THAT CLAIRE BOOTHE LUCE!)

Reader Virginia B. Parsons writes in to plead with drivers of horses to please remember to water and sponge down their animals more often during these days of intense heat. "I hear far too often the faltering step of the weary horse pressed beyond his strength."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_9__1943_(3).jpg

("And leave poor Mr. Rickey alone, he's doing the best he can!")

Sunspots were held responsible for the complete blackout of shortwave radio reception from Europe which began yesterday afternoon and continued thru the night. Conditions were reported returning to normal today at the Columbia Broadcasting System's New York listening post. The RCA Communications listening post reported loss of reception around 3pm yesterday, and it was reported that the BBC's shortwave service to America disappeared around 5 pm yesterday -- for the first time in memory. There was no disruption reported to domestic broadcasting.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_9__1943_(4).jpg

("Those women!" mutters Mr. Rickey. "Will I know no respite? Will I know no relief? Judas Priest! Coming to my CHURCH! The very idea! Do you think they recognized me?" "Of course not, dear,"sighs Mrs. Rickey. "Even *I* didn't recognize you." "Must I resort to such subterfuge from here on?" trembles Mr. Rickey. "Shall my life be forfeit should I appear in public as myself? Is this to be the horror of my fate?" "I don't know, dear," replies Mrs. Rickey, sipping a cool lemonade. "But next time, I insist that you wear your own girdle.")

Freddie Fitzsimmons is operating in Philadelphia with a short staff. The dismissal of coach Earl Whitehill, longtime friend of former manager Bucky Harris, by owner William Cox leaves the Phillies with no full-time coaches at all. Fitz himself and veteran outfielder Chuck Klein have been forced into duty as base coaches for the rest of the season. Fitz says it's too late in the season to bring in a replacement for Whitehill, so he'll make do until he can recruit a new coach after the season ends.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_9__1943_(5).jpg

(You're not fooling us, 'Mary Worth," we know you're Branch Rickey in disguise!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_9__1943_(6).jpg

(How do you retire from being a multi-millionaire? I always thought it was a matter of 'either you is or you ain't.')

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_9__1943_(7).jpg

(Badge wallet? "Sorry Dan, you had to turn that badge in when you quit the Secret Operatives, remember? And that one you got in the cereal box keeps falling out of the wallet!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_9__1943_(8).jpg

("NOW WE'RE ROLLING BACKWARDS!" "Yeah, I've been meaning to fix that.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_9__1943_(9).jpg

(Oooh! Pull up a chair!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_9__1943_.jpg

"NORMANDIE!" yelps Pat Ryan. "WHERE?? Oh -- you mean the boat. Never mind."

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_9__1943_(2).jpg

"What we need is a good Wheeler and Woolsey picture! Like "Diplomaniacs!" Or would that be 'globaloney' now?'"

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_9__1943_(3).jpg

Yeah, there's a lot of that going around.

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_9__1943_(4).jpg

A non-stereotypical railroad porter? Good for you, Mr. Gray. There's a new world coming.

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_9__1943_(6).jpg

"He's been SCALPED!"

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_9__1943_(7).jpg

Hazing? How juvenile.

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_9__1943_(8).jpg

Military strategy.

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_9__1943_(9).jpg

At this point, you might as well just put her on salary.

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_9__1943_(11).jpg

You know the neighborhood's changing when the burglars knock first.

Yeah, the end of the Normandie is tragic. Such a colossal ship. But in the end, she still lives with some of her interieurs existing all around the world.

("Hah!" snorts Sally, slapping the paper with the back of her hand. "T'ey can' even GIVE tickets away! Soives t' fathead right!" "I still t'ink he was at t'at choich yes'tday," fumes Alice. "Somebody musta tipp'd 'im t'at we was comin'. He hadda be in disguise. T'at one fella t'eh wit' t' lawng whiskehs -- I betcha t'at was him. A'maybe t'at fat lady sitt'n alone inna back. T'at coulda been him." "It don' matteh," dismisses Sally. "He's onna run now, y'can see it awl oveh town. Awla papehs is on 'is neck. How many names we get onnat petition? An' t'es a doz'n utteh p'titions goin' aroun'. He ain' gotta chance. Nex' t'ing ya know it's gonna be Branch Fathead, pres'dn't of t' St. Louis Browns. You wait'n see." "T'at was a pretty good soimon, t'ough," muses Alice. "At choich, I mean. Awlabout f'giveness. T'at guy up t'eh preachin' awmos' makes me wanna f'give Hig f'bein' such a joik. He can' help it, he was bawrn t'at way." "I ain' f'givin' Rickey t' fathead, t'ough," growls Sally. "Y'ain' bawrn a fathead, y'gotta woik hawrd t'BECOME a fathead. He made his oatmeal, now lie innit. Afteh awl, what he done t'Petey..." "I t'ought MacPhail done'at," points out Alice. "Well," grumbles Sally, "Rickey could'a undone it, an'ee didn't. T'at's whatcha cawl ya sin of omission. Means when ya coulda done t'right t'ing, but di'n't." "Ah," nods Alice. "Like t'at time I coulda hit Hig wit' t'at pot roast, an' I miss't." "Yeh," eyerolls Sally. "Sump'n like t'at.")

Today's conversation deserve a Kermit
AggravatingAnimatedHarrierhawk-max-1mb.gif

Charges that the U. S. Government was overcharged by $480,000 by the contracting firm that built the Sperry Gyroscope Company's Nassau County plant were leveled in a lawsuit filed today in Manhattan Federal Court. The action, brought by subcontractor Theodore Weilant, alleges that the Stone and Webster Engineering Corporation illegally assumed the expenses of subcontractors in order to reap illegal profits on a cost-plus basis. Under the terms of its contracts with the Defense Plant Corporation, Stone and Webster was barred from making a profit on any work performed by or any materials used by subcontractors on the project. Stone and Webster let out $8,000,000 in subcontracts on the $45,000,000 plant in Great Neck. The suit charges that those subcontractors were required to enter into arrangements with Stone and Webster under which the subcontractors' employees were listed on the books as employees of the engineering firm, and that false bills, receipts, claims, and affadavits were submitted on that basis. If found liable under the suit, Stone and Webster will pay double damages -- half to the Government and half to Weilant as the informer who brought the case.

If found liable, let's hope the gov't pursues criminal action again the perpetrators of this fraud.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_9__1943_(2).jpg

(Mike Todd produces Gypsy's new play -- and George S. Kaufman directs?? What's next, she runs for Congress? TAKE THAT CLAIRE BOOTHE LUCE!)

As noted earlier in the week, I think the Eagle's photo editor has his/her issues as that doesn't look like 25-year-old Ann Shirley to me. Could be if it's a really weird picture of her, but I don't think so.

Freddie Fitzsimmons is operating in Philadelphia with a short staff. The dismissal of coach Earl Whitehill, longtime friend of former manager Bucky Harris, by owner William Cox leaves the Phillies with no full-time coaches at all. Fitz himself and veteran outfielder Chuck Klein have been forced into duty as base coaches for the rest of the season. Fitz says it's too late in the season to bring in a replacement for Whitehill, so he'll make do until he can recruit a new coach after the season ends.

That all seems to be going well. I hope Fitz, at least, signed a big fat contract.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_9__1943_(6).jpg

(How do you retire from being a multi-millionaire? I always thought it was a matter of 'either you is or you ain't.')

That made me laugh, too. I think Stamm is confusing a personal career with personal wealth.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_9__1943_(7).jpg

(Badge wallet? "Sorry Dan, you had to turn that badge in when you quit the Secret Operatives, remember? And that one you got in the cereal box keeps falling out of the wallet!")

I'm not being snarky as I'm really curious, did I miss Dan truly quitting being a Secret Operative? I know he's now also a private detective, but I thought that was in addition to his Secret Operative work. It seemed being a gov't agent was a big part of Dan and the strip's identity, so if it's change, I wonder why?

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_9__1943_(9).jpg

At this point, you might as well just put her on salary.

I'm more than ready to move on from this kid; what's Harold been up to lately?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think Mr. Andriola went out of way to reboot the entire strip when he took over -- he didn't just dump Irwin, he got rid of Kay and Babs and the FACE EATING DOG and all the rest of it, along with the whole Secret Operative No. 48 concept. Nothing was ever explicitly said, it all just disappeared. And I do miss it all -- it's an entirely different strip now, and while the art is better and the stories are more coherent, it's nowhere near as fun as it was when Norman Marsh was at the peak of his eccentricities. BRING BACK THE SKULL!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Aug_10__1943_.jpg

("See t'eh, honey," assures Joe, as he places a hot bowl of Campbell's Vegetable before a skeptical Leonora. "T'ez guaranteed not t'be no butt'ns in ya soup t'eh. Now take a spoonf'l, t'at's it..." But Leonora remains unconvinced, spitting a large object in her long-suffering father's general direction. "T'at ain'a butt'n, kid," sighs Joe. "T'at's a lima bean." "BLAAAA!" blaahs Leonora. "Da eat!" Obligingly, Joe closes his eyes and prepares to make that sacrifice, but Leonora adds a codicil to her request. "FOWW!" she commands with a giggle. "FOWWW!" And just as Joe, most obliging father ever, tosses the lima bean upward and yawns wide to catch it, the door bangs open. "NICE CATCH!" barks the iceman. "NOW DO A FISH!" "FISH!" claps Leonora. "Eatcha soup," sighs Joe.)

The recent appearance by a fictitious personality operating under the name of John Durfee on a foreign-language overseas broadcast by the Office of War Information has triggered questions from a House subcommittee investigating allegations that the OWA and the Federal Communications Commission have been coercing foreign-language radio stations in the hiring and firing of specific announcers, unlawfully using the FCC's licensing authority to cause those stations to do their bidding. Eugene L. Garey, counsel for the subcommittee read into the record a report by Robert K. Richards of the Office of Censorship, who stated that he had been advised by the OWI that the only way to deal with "subversive personnel" on foreign-language stations was to conduct an exhaustive investigation of them, find out what their past associations have been, and convict them on that. Richards also stated that he was told by an official of the FCC that that agency would act on a complaint by the OWI by putting pressure on the station involved at license-renewal time to dismiss the announcer in question, whether his name was "John Durfee," "Leopold Hertsky,"" or something else. Richards stated that the FCC official admitted that this procedure was "extralegal," but it seemed the only effective way of dealing with such a situation.

Fear of an imminent coal shortage this winter appeared to be unfounded, according to a consensus of independent coal dealers around Brooklyn. Spokesmen for those dealers indicated, with only a few exceptions, that all their customers are getting the coal they've ordered, although some companies, in filling large orders, are reported to be providing fifty percent of the tonnage ordered now, with the balance to be delivered by the end of the month. Coal dealers agreed the real problem locally is not the amount of coal available, but the need for manpower to work in the coal yards and drive the trucks to deliver the orders. With more drivers and helpers going into the service or into war work every day, it is reported that many deliveries have fallen behind.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Aug_10__1943_(1).jpg

("No, Mr. Petrauskas," assures the Sperry nurse, "you don't have an infected tonsil." She reaches into Joe's throat with a long pair of forceps to extract a suspicious obstruction "It's just," she declares, "...a lima bean?")

The former French luxury liner Normandie now rests within 41.5 degrees of normal, as efforts continue to right the ship, which has rested on her side in the mud of the Hudson River since she burned and capsized a year and a half ago. As the vessel floated free this afternoon, her port-side portholes again emerged into plain view, and parts of the promenade deck windows reappeared for the first time since the ship burned. Promenade decks on the port side were reported to be clear of the water. Captain Bernard E. Manseau, in charge of Navy salvage operations on the ship, indicated today that although 70,000 tons of water have been pumped out of the Normandie's hold, another 30,000 tons remain.

Charges of cooperative clock-punching at the Brooklyn Navy Yard which enabled some employees, with the assistance of others, to stay home while still drawing overtime pay have put 33 workers, including two women, at risk of ten year prison terms and fines of $5000 each if convicted. Thirty of those accused in the scheme have already pleaded guilty. Federal agents arresting the workers estimated that the conspirators had obtained approximately $5000 from the Government to which they were not entitled, and U. S. Attorney Harold M. Kennedy stressed that cheating the Government out of even a small sum is a serious matter.

An attorney representing bondholders for the Childs Company, operator of a prominent restaurant chain, today claimed in Manhattan Federal Court that the firm has earned profits this year of $160,000 a month, and has $1,500,000 in cash in the bank. Three involuntary petitions for bankruptcy against the firm were filed by alleged creditors last year, but attorney Archibald Palmer argued today that the petitions are a company scheme to freeze out security holders, noting that one of the "creditors" is actually employed by Childs as a night watchman at $25 a week.

Dixie Walker and Mickey Owen of the Dodgers and Lt. Cmdr. Jack Dempsey, former boxing champion, were among the celebrities on hand to entertain two thousand orphans this morning at Grand Army Plaza in the 13th Annual Orphans Outing sponsored by David F. Soden. Clown Joe Bumstead, radio announcers Sam Taub and Nick Kenny, and a band of Hopi Indians under the leadership of Chief Little Spinning Son were also on hand for the occasion.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Aug_10__1943_(2).jpg

("Jerry Colonna, comedy star of the Bob Hope radio program!" You've really got to work hard to get billing like that.)

Restaurateur Toots Shor declared today that he is "shocked" at the Office of Price Administration's ruling this week refusing to allow him to pay off his 103,000 point ration debt on time. The operator of the popular Manhattan bar and grill had been told by the New York ration board that he could amortize the debt accumulated between April and June, but that decision was overruled by the OPA in Washington. OPA officials stated today that they are merely enforcing nationwide policy in requiring that Shor pay his ration debt in full before he will be permitted additional meat, fats, and oils, and explained that allowing such amortization would only serve to make "chiseling more attractive."

A 55-year-old World War I veteran from Park Slope apologized last night in Brooklyn-Queens Night Court for slugging an Army major who had gotten into an argument with a trolley motorman. August Webel told Magistrate Nicholas Pinto that he wasn't sure if Maj. Ernest E. Dreher was a real major, "since there are so many phonies around," so when he saw Maj. Dreher reprimanding the motorman for failing to stop for him, he intervened and punched the major in the face. After explaining his reasoning to the magistrate, Webel offered Maj Dreher a snappy military salute, and the charges were dropped.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Aug_10__1943_(3).jpg

("I t'ought you on'y had one brot'eh," notes Alice. "T'at's whatchacawl misdirectin'," chuckles Sally. "See, when ya write a 'nonymous letteh, y'neveh wanna make it so t'ey c'n trackya down. Y't'row in stuff t' t'row'm awf t' trail, like y'say y'got two brot'ehs when y'on'y got one." "It don' eve'n soun' like you," shrugs Alice. "It awrmos' souns reasonab'l." "What?" "Nut'n.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Aug_10__1943_(4).jpg

(PRETTY GOOD ACTING, HUH? JUST LIKE NORMA SHEARER, HUH?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Aug_10__1943_(5).jpg

("Let me think it over. How about we get together tomorrow for coffee?")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Aug_10__1943_(6).jpg

(And for the first time, Mr.Andriola gets his name on the credit slug. He celebrates by giving us SPECTACULAR MILE A MINUTE ACTION WITH A FAT MAN ON A BICYCLE! Somewhere, Irwin sighs.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Aug_10__1943_(7).jpg

(I DONT JUST CHASE CARS I DO IT SCIENTIFICALLY!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Aug_10__1943_(8).jpg

(AND HERE'S THE SHOES TO GO WITH IT!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_10__1943_(1).jpg

Best headline of 1943: CHURCH ACTS TO EVICT BROTHELS.

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_10__1943_(2).jpg

And just for the record, the correct response is "Alaykum Salam," or "Unto you be peace." Not "Gimme the opener!"

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_10__1943_(3).jpg
The shrink-your-art edict has taken full effect on Mr. Gray, which, perhaps, will mean no more long philosophical speeches for the duration. Isn't that right, Sandy? "ARF!"

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_10__1943_(4).jpg

While Mr. Caniff says, "I'll just use a finer pen point, that's all!"

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_10__1943_(5).jpg

Sloppy work, Mrs. Pruneface. It'll miss his heart, bit it won't do his lymph nodes any good.

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_10__1943_(6).jpg

"But there's a show in ten minutes! Only one thing to do -- give me his toupee!"

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_10__1943_(7).jpg

I'LL KILL YOU ALL

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_10__1943_(8).jpg

In THOSE shoes?

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_10__1943_(11).jpg

Plushie is the saddest sack in the comics.

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_10__1943_(12).jpg

"Meet my uncle! HE'S 4-F!"

The recent appearance by a fictitious personality operating under the name of John Durfee on a foreign-language overseas broadcast by the Office of War Information has triggered questions from a House subcommittee investigating allegations that the OWA and the Federal Communications Commission have been coercing foreign-language radio stations in the hiring and firing of specific announcers, unlawfully using the FCC's licensing authority to cause those stations to do their bidding. Eugene L. Garey, counsel for the subcommittee read into the record a report by Robert K. Richards of the Office of Censorship, who stated that he had been advised by the OWI that the only way to deal with "subversive personnel" on foreign-language stations was to conduct an exhaustive investigation of them, find out what their past associations have been, and convict them on that. Richards also stated that he was told by an official of the FCC that that agency would act on a complaint by the OWI by putting pressure on the station involved at license-renewal time to dismiss the announcer in question, whether his name was "John Durfee," "Leopold Hertsky,"" or something else. Richards stated that the FCC official admitted that this procedure was "extralegal," but it seemed the only effective way of dealing with such a situation.

It's not hard to draw parallels to today's charges of government interference with large social media companies. As we see all the time, very, very little is new.

("No, Mr. Petrauskas," assures the Sperry nurse, "you don't have an infected tonsil." She reaches into Joe's throat with a long pair of forceps to extract a suspicious obstruction "It's just," she declares, "...a lima bean?")

Poor Joe.

One large company I worked for in the early '90s had a full-time registered nurse on staff, but with trends in liability and heath insurance being what they were, that was the tail end of the days when companies did that.

Charges of cooperative clock-punching at the Brooklyn Navy Yard which enabled some employees, with the assistance of others, to stay home while still drawing overtime pay have put 33 workers, including two women, at risk of ten year prison terms and fines of $5000 each if convicted. Thirty of those accused in the scheme have already pleaded guilty. Federal agents arresting the workers estimated that the conspirators had obtained approximately $5000 from the Government to which they were not entitled, and U. S. Attorney Harold M. Kennedy stressed that cheating the Government out of even a small sum is a serious matter.

That was an obvious weakness in that system - a system you see in use in an incredible number of movies from the era.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Aug_10__1943_(2).jpg

("Jerry Colonna, comedy star of the Bob Hope radio program!" You've really got to work hard to get billing like that.)

Neat to read about "Double Indemnity" in its early stages of development as it would go on to become one of the seminal film noirs. Edward G. Robinson, IMHO, also created one of the most-memorable characters he ever did in the quirky but brilliant (and annoyingly persistent) insurance inspector. His scenes with Fred MacMurray are movie gold.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Aug_10__1943_(4).jpg

(PRETTY GOOD ACTING, HUH? JUST LIKE NORMA SHEARER, HUH?)

No kidding, Ms. Shearer never really lost her silent film mannerisms even in the "talkie" era.

So, we still have no word on what this illness is that shows no symptoms at all, even as the patient approaches death, but one for which 1940s medicine can declare, weeks in advance, the exact day it will cause death.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Aug_10__1943_(5).jpg

("Let me think it over. How about we get together tomorrow for coffee?")

"If it helps you to make up your mind, later in life, when I play Yoda in 'Star Wars,' I'll cut you in on my royalties."

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Tue__Aug_10__1943_(1).jpg

Best headline of 1943: CHURCH ACTS TO EVICT BROTHELS.

Agreed, great headline, but the story all but belies it as we have the same situation often in NYC where the lessor of the ground lease, usually, has no control over the leasing of the buildings on the property, but then gets pulled into a scandal when it's political convenient for their enemies to do so.

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_10__1943_(2).jpg

And just for the record, the correct response is "Alaykum Salam," or "Unto you be peace." Not "Gimme the opener!"

Living in NYC, you learn many Jewish and Yiddish expressions, which is why I went to Wikipedia to confirm something I thought:

Shalom aleichem (/ʃəˌlɒm əˈleɪxəm, ˌʃoʊləm-/;[1][2] Hebrew: שָׁלוֹם עֲלֵיכֶם, šālōm ʿalēḵem; Hebrew pronunciation: [ʃaˈloːm ʕaleːˈxem]) is a spoken greeting in Hebrew, meaning "peace be upon you". The appropriate response is aleichem shalom ("unto you peace") (Hebrew: עֲלֵיכֶם שָׁלוֹם).[3][4]

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_10__1943_(3).jpg

The shrink-your-art edict has taken full effect on Mr. Gray, which, perhaps, will mean no more long philosophical speeches for the duration. Isn't that right, Sandy? "ARF!"

"Arf" in Sandy means "thank God I'm finally safe from the bombers. Now, I wonder what the food situation's like with the Spangles?"

Re you comment on Gray and Caniff. The difference is Caniff is an artist and storyteller; whereas, Gray is, often, a bloviating pseudo intellectual.

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_10__1943_(5).jpg

Sloppy work, Mrs. Pruneface. It'll miss his heart, bit it won't do his lymph nodes any good.

Where's Joe and Sally's ice guy when you need him?

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_10__1943_(7).jpg

I'LL KILL YOU ALL

Somethings you learn over time, but even as a kid, I thought hazing was stupid and mean. It always has been and thankfully, it is not acceptable in most places or situations anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner