Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ernest Hemingway Thread

clementishutin

Familiar Face
I'm not sure why Hemingway like bullfighting, and I'm not sure why I enjoy it either, but it appears to be more fair than deer hunting in that the guy in the arena may be killed by the animal.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I grew up on a farm and still raise some stock, and have been a hunter since I was pretty young. But I do not understand the appeal of bull fighting at all, and I don't have any particular fondness for bulls, either.

From the perspective of the animal, would you rather die quickly and relatively peacefully in the woods, or in an oversized pen surrounded by a yelling mob, stabbed and bleeding in multiple places, and mad as all hell at being tormented? Were I to witness a staged bullfight, I'd be rooting for the bull.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It’s 100 years since the publication of Hem’s first work in Paris in 1923. This is a pretty good article that, I think, captures the CURRENT thinking about Hemingway. I guess the thing that makes a person historically enduring is if he left enough material behind to allow for never ending reevaluation. Goes without saying that, since his death, we’ve seen Hemingway go through several reevaluations; from hero figure to much despised macho caricature, to the latest round of sexual ambiguity which —perhaps not surprisingly— also happens to mirror society’s own handwringing. Funny how, looking back, each reevaluation seems to say as much about the then-current thinking of society as it does about Hemingway.

https://lithub.com/what-hemingway-means-in-the-21st-century/

I grew up on a farm and still raise some stock, and have been a hunter since I was pretty young. But I do not understand the appeal of bull fighting at all, and I don't have any particular fondness for bulls, either.

From the perspective of the animal, would you rather die quickly and relatively peacefully in the woods, or in an oversized pen surrounded by a yelling mob, stabbed and bleeding in multiple places, and mad as all hell at being tormented? Were I to witness a staged bullfight, I'd be rooting for the bull.
There is absolutely no justification for bullfighting. However, I do love it. One of the grandest spectacles. I also love the ballet and to me bullfighting is akin to ballet except there is blood and one of the parties dies in the end......I guess more like opera only for real not just theatrics.

The most thrilling bullfight I ever attended was in Pamplona only one of the 3 bullfighters was able to finish. One was flipped by the bull and either sprained or broke a wrist so he was unable to kill the bull. The second matador was gored ...ripped open from the ankle to the knee.

But this was on the last day of the festival of San Fermin and (their names escape me) all 3 matadors were headliners possessing great skill and bravado.

I have been to the bullfights in Madrid at the end of the season when the novilleros try to earn their stripes. Unskilled matadors make for a dull/tedious afternoon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ