Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The exacting nature of leather jacket fits

deswaaf

One of the Regulars
I completely recognise what your saying. For me personally, my weight fluctuates a lot I've noticed. Also I'm quite tall, I kept falling for regular sized jackets, and ones that fit really tight too. Looked horrible on me, almost gave up but this Lost worlds 42L fit's really good: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/fit-pics-lost-worlds-suburban-42l-grainy-4-5-oz-fqhh.101666/

I'm at my heaviest now I've been in a while and this jacket fits me good now, I'm sure it will fit nice if I loose some gut, but it's nice to know this jacket can have me at this weight, makes it a real keeper for the long run IMO.

I keep eyeballing jackets by Japanese makers, but I'm pretty sure for my build they won't be comfortable (also almost no long sizes available)

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Have you found that certain patterns/styles seems to fit best for you? Or a certain manufacturer seems to be suit your build more frequently than others?

I definitely like the more v-shaped patterns best.
Since I am quite tall, but less wide, rather slim and have narrow hips, the boxy patterns do not suit me.
From the point at which I could financially afford it, all of my clothes (excluding jeans) are either made2measure or altered at the waist and hips by a tailor.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
The importance of sizing and patterning goes beyond even just your standard basic measurements. Many of my Freewheelers jackets have incredibly similar "basic" measurements such as chest, shoulder, back length, etc, but they look quite different when worn.

A pattern is so much more than that and that is why I have learned how much more important good patterns are than I used to think they were back in the day. Something else that I always preach is that it is important for you to know your own body measurements, but giving your measurements to a maker and having them make a custom jacket off of that does not often go well. I have had far greater success with jackets fitting well when I give exact jacket measurements or choose a jacket based off of the measurements of other jackets.

Freewheelers jackets fit me well, but I think other jackets have fit me well too. I just really think their patterns are the best out there.

Which one is that?
This one.
ACEF72A2-7A9F-49D1-ABCB-201D076B0A7B.jpeg

JCSD

Practically Family
The importance of sizing and patterning goes beyond even just your standard basic measurements. Many of my Freewheelers jackets have incredibly similar "basic" measurements such as chest, shoulder, back length, etc, but they look quite different when worn.

A pattern is so much more than that and that is why I have learned how much more important good patterns are than I used to think they were back in the day. Something else that I always preach is that it is important for you to know your own body measurements, but giving your measurements to a maker and having them make a custom jacket off of that does not often go well. I have had far greater success with jackets fitting well when I give exact jacket measurements or choose a jacket based off of the measurements of other jackets.

Freewheelers jackets fit me well, but I think other jackets have fit me well too. I just really think their patterns are the best out there.
Totally agree with you regarding the importance of patterns. I definitely don’t have the body type that fits every cut and its been a steep learning curve since I’ve been on the forum.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I too have learned a whole lot about fit since I found the lounge. I used to wear all of my jackets at least one or two sizes too big, with baggy jeans to match. It never occurred to me how sloppy that looked until I got seriously into leather jackets and trying to find ones that fit me well. It actually took some getting used to wearing jackets that fit me because my first impression was that they were too tight and I needed at least one size larger.
I now have a pretty good idea of what will fit me based on the numbers and I am rarely wrong, although sometimes I still err on the side of ordering something larger than I should.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Something else that I always preach is that it is important for you to know your own body measurements, but giving your measurements to a maker and having them make a custom jacket off of that does not often go well. I have had far greater success with jackets fitting well when I give exact jacket measurements
True. That was actually a misconception I had. I thought of you just gave all your body measurements, they would alter the pattern to perfectly fit your body. What most of them actually do is see which standard size comes closest and use the basic pattern for that standard size and solely adjust body and sleeve length.

Like you say, it's therefore best to specify the jacket measurements.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
True. That was actually a misconception I had. I thought of you just gave all your body measurements, they would alter the pattern to perfectly fit your body. What most of them actually do is see which standard size comes closest and use the basic pattern for that standard size and solely adjust body and sleeve length.

Like you say, it's therefore best to specify the jacket measurements.
Yeah I had to learn the hard way... as recently as last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk