Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The fall of the phone

Carlisle Blues said:
There is only resistance when people do not want any advances or there can be no improvement; for example the wheel...it is still turning and the design has not changed. :)

Certain fundemental machinces can't be improved as a basic design but wheels have changed- you no longer put wooden wheels on your vehical. Today regular tires have benefitted from racing technology: last longer, handle well and deal with the rain better than those of 10 years ago.

I think one problem is that people are doing things that need their focus like driving or being the engineer of a train and insist on doing other things like texting. When it takes their attention away from what they should focus on that's when the bad things happen.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John in Covina said:
Certain fundemental machinces can't be improved as a basic design but wheels have changed- you no longer put wooden wheels on your vehical. Today regular tires have benefitted from racing technology: last longer, handle well and deal with the rain better than those of 10 years ago.

I think one problem is that people are doing things that need their focus like driving or being the engineer of a train and insist on doing other things like texting. When it takes their attention away from what they should focus on that's when the bad things happen.

John, I was referring to shape.

Your next statement clearly speaks to carelessness. I agree wholeheartedly.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues said:
John, I was referring to shape.

Your next statement clearly speaks to carelessness. I agree wholeheartedly.

Exactly...Carelessness has happened with all new technology..regardless of the -speed- at which such new things enter our lives.

How many people were careless with gas lighting when it came out.....?

and how many people are -still- careless with natural gas appliances...

People's lack of care with things is no reason to -not make improvements-

It's merely survival of the fittest and most careful... ;)

Add to the sense of essentials, or as a must have item.

I am reminder of the time when the concept of a Walkman appeared on the scene, while not an essential, it was seen as a marvelous item. With in a short period of time traffic laws came in that said you can't wear headphones while driving because of accidents.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
Gas for lighting, heating and cooking are in a way an essential service with delivery that is efficient.

In a way cell phones and the associated texting, MP3 etc are sold as essentials but are they really?

Let me tell you a story....

Way back in 1998 when I started my first post university job, I got a cell phone because I would be driving about 40 miles each way to work....

on day 3 of my new job, I was heading home and I got in a car accident, severe enough that I could not exit my vehicle easily. I was not seriously injured, but I was able to take my new cell phone out and phone the police from -inside- my car, ensuring their speedy arrival and help with getting out of the vehicle, etc.

I was also able to contact family members so they knew what happened, and were able to come fetch me from the towing yard and take me home. (my car was totalled)

That day...my cell became an essential. Period.

(ps...I know the 'related texting etc' is a different thing...but guess what...this thread is about the demise of the -phone-...not the other nonsense)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
Makes you wonder how people got along without them.

Just like we got along without a million other things...

The point is....arbitrarily deciding a 'this progress is good' but that progress over there...we don't need that.....

is a very rough call...and considering we are all sitting here using computers.....bashing the cell phone...seems rather hypocritical....we dont -need- computers to get along on a personal level either......now do we.

That said....we also technically do not -need- electricity, running water, etc.....as the billions of earth's inhabitants that do not have such things can attest to.

Fire in a cave with some roasted boar anyone?

Uff Da

New in Town
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
But the vast majority of my communicating is done via text. It's just portable email, far as I'm concerned: a way to communicate on your own time and send or respond any time you want, rather than taking time to have a phone conversation that isn't necessary to have at that very moment.

Yes! I totally agree!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
Just like we got along without a million other things...

The point is....arbitrarily deciding a 'this progress is good' but that progress over there...we don't need that.....

is a very rough call...and considering we are all sitting here using computers.....bashing the cell phone...seems rather hypocritical....we dont -need- computers to get along on a personal level either......now do we.

That said....we also technically do not -need- electricity, running water, etc.....as the billions of earth's inhabitants that do not have such things can attest to.

Fire in a cave with some roasted boar anyone?

:eek: There are enough forest fires blazing. It's insects and berries for me and mine. :p

For my part, I might not care to have the latest thing, but I don't care if others use it(responsibly).

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Maybe we need to start a thread "Show us your vintage telephones".

I actually have a vintage 50's era payphone that was a Christmas present from my wife. It was refurbished by a local restorer and looks and works like new. It hangs on the wall in my kitchen right now but I have contemplated building a booth for it. My only other home phone is a 40's/50's era desk phone. Both are rotary of course.

The irony here is I don't currently have home phone service. My wife and I both have our cells and found a land-line to be an expense we could do without.

docneg

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie said:
I was also able to contact family members so they knew what happened, and were able to come fetch me from the towing yard and take me home. (my car was totalled)

That day...my cell became an essential. Period.

Thank goodness, Miss Neecerie, that you had a signal where you had your accident. Every time I have had car trouble, it has been between towers. A short wave radio is still a great emergency tool, so cell phones didn't exactly originate this life saver, it just put it in the hands of more people.

The thousand advantages of the new technology I would not dispute; the thing that has not been said is that it is not unreasonable to want the things you had before to remain and not be replaced. The guy who said "There are still dial phones" is ignoring the fact that Verizon will someday end pulse dial service. Yes, there are also "still" beautiful 1939 Plymouths, if you can find and afford one!

I have had miserable service and quality with my cell phone in the last week, simply because all the college students are back in town. And even when it is normal, I can never hear as well as on a land line. My problem with "progress" is that it so often is a step back in quality while a step forward in utility.

Roquentin

New in Town
I have pretty terrible telephone anxiety when I'm using normal phones, let alone cell phones. This is one of the many reasons why I don't own one despite being in a demographic that almost uniformly seems to. Economics is another reason- why should I spend money on something I'd hate to use? And who on earth would I call?

I get by just fine. I'll concede that I've never been in an emergency that might have called for a cell, but as far as my daily life goes there just aren't any moments when I find myself wishing I could call or be called at any time.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
A cell phone is a convenience, and certainly handy in emergencies. What's not 'a necessity' is yacking on one constantly, while driving, and in the company of others. People have really forgotten how to be quiet in their own head, as well as how to focus on one thing, without being endlessly distracted/amused by two or three other things.
In my book, the human in your presence comes first; hang up and deal with one situation at a time.
How many times do you see a couple, or even a group of several people, dining together, with at least one always on their phone?
Just last night I attended a gathering for a friend's birthday, on the rooftop of the art museum downtown - drinks, a band, sunset over the city, lovely people to interact with. Several attendees might as well have been sitting home alone, with all their attention on their clever phone devices, messaging, twittering, checking who-knows-what?

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Roquentin said:
I have pretty terrible telephone anxiety when I'm using normal phones, let alone cell phones. This is one of the many reasons why I don't own one despite being in a demographic that almost uniformly seems to. Economics is another reason- why should I spend money on something I'd hate to use? And who on earth would I call?

I get by just fine. I'll concede that I've never been in an emergency that might have called for a cell, but as far as my daily life goes there just aren't any moments when I find myself wishing I could call or be called at any time.

I'm a telephonophobe too! Sometimes the only reason I answer the phone is knowing I'll have to return a call, which is even worse than receiving one! ;)

raven_retro

New in Town
I hate how the mobile has made so many people more isolated from each other. Hearing about how someone would rather run a bill of texts rather than go out and have lunch with a person is silly. Plus, the way it takes priority over everything and everyone. I've seen couples at restaurants where one is on the phone (at the table!) and the other is doing nothing. It's incredibly rude and inconsiderate. I'm glad I still see my family use the phone often. My mother still chats with her friends for hours. I speak to my relatives through the phone and it's always been that way.

Nobody really needs to text/tweet/blog/e-mail anyone 24/7. If you never spoke to that person that much before texting was a big deal, why is it more of a big deal now? I don't get it, if you like the person that much just give him a ring every once in a while.

Personally, I think long distance communication is great because families are so much more spread out nowadays. The only thing that bothers me is how a lot of people became complacent and forgot that a personal touch is tons better than a text. Everything has its place, time, and limit.

Side note: I don't like the pay phones in London, I think nearly each one is riddled with call girl ads. It's amusing, but too disturbing to make an actual call in. lol

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a group of friends while I was in high school. Songs talking about "sitting by the phone" or "waiting by the phone" don't have that depth of meaning anymore. It's quite a thought provoking topic the phone.

J.L. Picard

One of the Regulars
Forgotten Man said:
We need to slow things down people! Why? Because fast only becomes faster and then that inevitable brick wall comes that cannot be dodged and then WHAM! A crash of a kind the world has not seen the likes of!

Interesting point Forgotten Man.

My understanding is that:

- What differentiates the new technologies (computer, nanotech, genetic engineering) from the ones that preceded them is their capacity of autocatalysis and self acceleration. The later technologies would go through a phase of growth and stop. This would give a chance to society to transform and catch up. This is predictable, reliable and stable.

- For the new technologies, the product of their own processes enables them to develop more rapidly. This creates conditions that are unstable, unreliable and unpredictable.

- Changes that are too fast can be divisive: if only an elite can keep up, the rest of us will loose the sense of how the world works, and become dependant on the elite for its survival.

My belief is that:

- It does not make any sense to fight against a tool that can greatly enhance our daily life.

- The real danger is not the technologies, but the ideas and ideologies behind them. [huh] Just my 2 C...

Geronimo

One of the Regulars
Is it permitted for one's first post to be partial heresy? lol
If so, I'll continue. I never cared for cell phones until the IPhone came out. "Ooh, internet on a cell phone!"
Before that, it was another hunk-of-junk to put in the pocket. Now it's a way to get stock reports, email, latest internet news, and so on.
As for calls, I don't like talking on a cell phone. Or a landline. Too many people talk for way too long on the things. Small talk should be reserved for face-to-face meetings. Or Facebook. ;)
Texting may be the most vintage feature of a cell phone. It's very similar to the telegraph - a great way to send quick, short messages like serial numbers, addresses, anything you'd need to take down with a notepad and pencil. When you see someone texting, you can chuckle to yourself that they are using 'stone-age' technology. :p
I like being able to get on the internet, check stocks, and so on. It's good to make yourself ignore the phone sometimes - I tend to set it on vibrate whenever I go in somewhere (sort of like hat etiquette - on outdoors, off indoors). That way I can know if it's ringing and it won't disturb anyone else. I can ignore it if I'm occupied, and any important message will go to voicemail for later listening.

Use the phone. Don't let the phone use you.

Oh. One more use for cell phones - the camera. Sometimes you need a copy of something, and don't have a copy machine handy. Snap a picture of that document, note, or serial number and you're good to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot