Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Fedora Lounge Guide to Mackinaw coats

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That 1938 Macinaw reminds me a bit of a coat I've been searching for for ages. Back in Baltimore where I went to highschool in the 1960's practically every guy I knew had what we called a "Lawman" coat. It was reversible, with a scroll collar and Harris tweed on one side (or dark serge) and canvas on the other. They were absolutely beautiful coats and were immensely popular, but I've never seen one since. Also, I've no idea if they were made anywhere else, as that period was right at the end of the time for locally manufactured clothing. Anyone help me with this?

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Is there a name for that strap on the wrist of the guy standing with his arms crossed. Maybe a specific design moniker? I love old wool coats, but I have always strongly disliked the look of that strap. I see a lot of jackets that I otherwise feel are sharp, but I cannot want to own them if they have it. A dealbreaker as they say.

clarinetplayer

Familiar Face
I am interested in finding a hunting coat/mackinaw coat made by Chippewa Woolen Mills (Wisconsin). On eBay, there are just a couple listed--that I could find. Are there good vintage sources? Are these coats made today? Thanks for any information.

skydog757

A-List Customer
Thank you for all of the great info. Being born and raised in Michigan in the 50's/60's I grew up with these coats. They wore like iron. I have to say, though, I very seldom saw one without a game pouch built into the back and loops for shotgun shells built into the pockets. But then, I was a country boy.

Last edited:

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
1930s Double Duty

a7ugabe3.jpg

5asymaju.jpg

9ejeva4u.jpg

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I purchased this Drifter coat shawl collared mackinaw from River Junction Trading Company in Iowa, last week. They're made to order and the wait time is 6 to 8 weeks. I like the leather trim on the pockets, but asked them to leave it off of the cuffs.

$299.95 USD

coat-drifter-lrg.jpg

- Ian

Last edited:

Nyah

One of the Regulars
Love that Double Duty. The buttons on the belt have me curious though. Do they serve some kind of adjustment purpose?

Ian, I look forward to your take on the cuffs and back of your drifter.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Love that Double Duty. The buttons on the belt have me curious though. Do they serve some kind of adjustment purpose?
Yes, of course. You could attach a full belt over the half belt. On most coats the belt is missing (on mine too) but it doesn't bother me that much.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The buttons would have originally have attached to two belt quarters, which could be buttoned on to form a full belt. This is also true of most surcoat length half-belt leather jackets. Like Flo says, most lost the belts over time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24