Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Fedora Lounge Guide to Mackinaw coats

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I've had a lot of these shawl collar mackinaws over the years, but this one's pretty special. There are lots of subtle variations from one maker to another, and changes in pattern from the late 1920s, when this style was introduced, to the early 1940s, when it was discontinued- I think I have yet to see two that are identical. The buttoned, sharply pointed pocket flaps on this one, its high button stance, the design of its epaulettes, are all unique to this example, and are wildly different than the standard patter, which you can see a number of examples of in this thread. I would say this one dates to the mid 1930s.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
1930s Jack Frost

still-of-chris-cooper-in-seabiscuit-(2003)-large-picture.jpg

I think we have a match.

Cheers!

Dan

Peacoat

Bartender
Good collection, D Man. These appear to be patterned after the WWI era peacoat. Interesting deviation is the shawl collar on most of them, rather than the notched lapel. A good example of fashion following military clothing.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I'd say their evolution was parallel, rather than one coming from the other.
The design on the shawl collar models goes back to the 19th century, with their main period of popularity coming between 1912-1916.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Hey Dinerman... love this thread... does anyone make a vintage style double breasted Mackinaw today. I've several Filsons and a Pendelton but nothing like what's shown above.... Thanks in advance...

Worf

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The past three were all pretty big, 42, 44 and 44. I've had a hard time finding these in the more desirable smaller sizes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana