Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Fedora style

Russ

One of the Regulars
I do like a lot of traditional styles, but not old stuff. Some old designs were very practical and had a touch of class. My hats are basically traditional style, so are my pocket watches, my wire rim glasses, fountain pens and button suspenders. But they are all new items made in the 20th century. Okay, I have heard we are officially in the 21st century but I'm holding out for some proof.

And when my stuff gets lost or worn out or broken, I'll replace them quickly and cheaply. Try doing that with real vintage stuff!

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
I wear a fedora almost everyday with casual wear, and I am very interested in all sartorial matters. However, I wear no vintage clothing.

I do have a love of history, which makes FL a very interesting place.

M8

LeeB

Familiar Face
Not necessarily vintage.

I usually try to find things, especially clothes, that are more traditional or classically styled. I'm not, nor have I ever been, trendy. That said, I do enjoy some modern conveniences. I am most definately in the "21st" century as I am a computer professional.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
LeeB said:
I usually try to find things, especially clothes, that are more traditional or classically styled. I'm not, nor have I ever been, trendy. That said, I do enjoy some modern conveniences. I am most definately in the "21st" century as I am a computer professional.

I think we all take a few years to find out what's "us". In my case, when I think of classy casual, it's khakis, loafers, an oxford shirt - that kind of ivy league look. Much of my business attire is built around the same theme - pleated slacks, shirt, and often a blazer or sport coat.

In the summer, I'm pretty devoted to golf shirts or short sleeve sport shirts with slacks, and I'm starting to wear linen slacks on hot days, or twill (khaki or olive) shorts when I'm on my own time.

But no wrinkled, neglected shirts, and no scuffed shoes. (I think I'll start a thread on shoes.)

And since I'm a child of the 60's, much of the time when I'm around the house you'll find me in jeans and a rugby shirt or T-shirt. When it comes to sweatshirts I like half-zips with stand-up collars.

RedPop4

One Too Many
Whew, thank goodness. Most of you reflect my own view, I some times feel well out of my element reading The Observation Bar, and the lengths some folks there go. I appreciate vintage and older things, I like the sense of timelessness and the union of today to yesterday in common history.

I've never dressed vintage, and don't plan to any time soon. I get the "old man" comments as well from MrsRedPop4, but it seems everyone else we associate with like my hats. My little niece even noticed the other night. We were at "In-Law Night" at my MIL's house, and I was looking at a hat on eBay. She asked me, "why are you looking at that? You going to buy it?" I responded that I was interested in it, possibly, to which she said "Oh yeeeeeeeeah, you like those hats. I like you in them, I think it looks good." She's only 8.

LeeB

Familiar Face
Not necessarily vintage.

My favorite outfit consists of : 1 pair rumpled khakis (dk brown), 1 denim work shirt, 1 well-worn pair of work boots and my custom hat. The look is propably somewhat old fashioned, but it's not intentional. That is simply how I am most comfortable. For my job I usually wear the requisite dress pants, shirts and shoes (and occasionally a necktie) as it is a professional office.

I find khakis more comfortable and easier to move in than jeans, especially when hiking or riding bikes with my kids. All my children are fascinated with my hats, even my daughter has tried to swipe one of them to wear.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
LeeB said:
My favorite outfit consists of : 1 pair rumpled khakis (dk brown), 1 denim work shirt, 1 well-worn pair of work boots and my custom hat. The look is propably somewhat old fashioned, but it's not intentional. That is simply how I am most comfortable. For my job I usually wear the requisite dress pants, shirts and shoes (and occasionally a necktie) as it is a professional office.

I find khakis more comfortable and easier to move in than jeans, especially when hiking or riding bikes with my kids. All my children are fascinated with my hats, even my daughter has tried to swipe one of them to wear.

Similar for me: 1. khakis 2. long-sleeved lightweight shirt 3. Rockport thick-soled walkers 4. Canvas fedora. That's pretty much my casual attire and the same for when I working out in the field with clients.

Otherwise it's suits or 'dressy' casual.

M8

LeeB

Familiar Face
Not necessarily vintage.

My wife will, on occasion, try to get me to dress more "up to date" but I dislike trendy. I prefer my clothing to be simple, practical and comfortable. Nothing flashy or outlandish and definately no slogans or logos splashed across.
Although, in the current dearth of people wearing brimmed hats, that in itself might be considered, dare I say, outlandish.

Anders

One of the Regulars
It's odd, I started with an interest purely in hats, but the more I wear mine, the more I feel the want of a vintage suit to go with it.

LeeB

Familiar Face
Not necessarily vintage.

Don't get me wrong. I have a number of tweed sportcoats, coordinated vest and some ties to match and a classic trench coat to top it all off that I do enjoy wearing when the occasion warrents. But, on my own time, I'm either outdoors, working in my workshop (carpentry) or playing with my kids. Those activities usually require more practical clothes.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
This website is very aptly named. The "Hats" section is by far the most viewed in the entire Lounge. Vintage clothing and accessories are appreciated and used by some folks around here, but we're far from becoming "The Vintage Lounge." Around here, hats (old or new, custom or mass-produced) were, are, and will continue to be King.

LeeB

Familiar Face
Not necessarily vintage.

I think the original intent of the post was to find if there was a perception of a style of dress that would not facilitate the wearing of a fedora style hat. I can safely say that we've all seen those or have friends who insist on wearing a favored article of clothing that doesn't always match their current mode of dress. Some things just don't go together.
Having said that, I would put forth that a fedora hat complements more varied styles of dress than just about any other accessory.

Pat_H

A-List Customer
As part of this, I wonder at what point some familiar hats pass into the truly vintage category.

I wouldn't regard fedoras as necessarily vintage, and they get a fair amount of use in some locations. Indeed, on inclement days you'll see the tv weatherman on the Today Show out wearing them. I suppose, however, there are some types of fedoras that were more popular in former eras, and begin to take on sort of an antiquated look in comparison to others.

By the same token I wouldn't regard newsboys as vintage at all, even though they were a cap in much wider use in a prior era. I wouldn't regard any style of cowboy hat as vintage, save perhaps for a Boss of the Plains hat.

But the bowler, which was in some sort of specialized use a few decades ago, really looks vintage now, as well as antiquted. I guess that's just because it's passed out of general use.

Rafter

Suspended
I've always loved fedoras. It probably started with my romanticized idealization of an earlier era in America, but they really are swell hats: brim all the way around, yet not overwhelmingly large like a cowboy hat. And they look so good as they age!

The problem that I see with fedoras (and other kinds of non-ballcap hats) is that they can appear costume-ish or affected. Wearing a fedora requires you to own it, as opposed to just affecting it and in this day and age is about commitment. It's also about the time and care you take in presenting yourself.

A t-shirt with a fedore won't cut it, in most cases. A t-shirt doesn't have the right lines to complement the hat. Something with buttons. It can still be very casual, but unless it's got a flat hem, tuck it in. Again, the line has got to look right all the way down.

Jeans would be okay, in fact might help offset the costume perception. But a nice pair of flatfronts would be a better choice.

I'm a little torn about the jacket thing. My favorite weekend jacket is a navy Vortex softshell that fits me very well and does everything I need it to. It's subdued enough to go with the right fedora, but my Marx & Haas-Korrekt navy and black weave wool suit in vertical stripe completes the look.

And no sneakers. No matter how much they cost, sneakers with a fedora will make you look like a New Wave revivalist. No boots either. A classic Nunn Bush only.

When all is said and done you have to have some appreciation for vintage to
own the total look if your wearing Fedora style hats.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Is it wrong that I can wear a black homburg with a pair of ripped up jeans, chucks and a paint splattered t-shirt and no one notices?

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Go for It

Dinerman said:
Is it wrong that I can wear a black homburg with a pair of ripped up jeans, chucks and a paint splattered t-shirt and no one notices?

Wrong? Not at all. If you like the look, then go for it! :eusa_clap

nulty

One of the Regulars
It's all in the perception of the person wearing the item. We all percieve the norm to be one thing but in most cases it doesn't make a difference. Scott Fitzgerald sais that " one's perception of what others think of him is never as severe as what one thinks of himself" or something to that effect.

Wearing a fedora with a pair of jeans and a t-shirt for me is as natural as wearing socks with shoes. It's not how I think I look , it's how I feel that I look.

I've been dressing like an "old man" since I was 23 and I like it. I agree that some vintage stuff is just not practical and that part of my attire is more for collection purpose. I do every day try and fit in something that's from another day and age. It's a hobby as much as anything else..

Is vintage a requisite for wearing a fedora..Heck no....

It's about having fun and trying to find the you in all of it......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass