Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Final Federation

...How about vendors?...
As far as I know the Fed IV is a Hats Direct/The Hattery exclusive, so that settles that.

...Does anyone have Campdraft and Fed 4? Comparison comments?
I have two of each (all standard/Imperial Quality felt) and I like 'em all. The quality of the construction is consistent, as is the felt (though one of my Campdrafts apparently had a lot more stiffener applied). In my experience the expected "shrink to fit" of the sweatband was consistent as well, but both of my Campdrafts were about half-a-size more snug out of the box than the Fed IVs even though they're all size 60, so by the time they had finished "snugging down" they were a little tight for my tastes; a few hours on a hat jack solved that, and now all four hats are very comfortable. Other than that, it depends on which style you prefer; in my opinion you can't go wrong either way.

Akubra_Fed_IV_CD_zps06be449d.jpg

Last edited:

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Al,

Thanks for the photos - they give a very good basis for comparison between the CD and Fed. While I like the CDs very much, I am thinking that having a Fed in the stable would be a good thing.

Now the question is which one? What I am really trying to get is the difference between the quality levels. Not sure what the extra $40 dollars for the Deluxe in Heritage buys when the quality of the basic Imperial is so good. I am not cheap, but also not wasteful. Is there a significant cost benefit?

Fed

...Thanks for the photos - they give a very good basis for comparison between the CD and Fed...
You're very welcome Sir! As the adage goes, "A picture is worth 1,000 words", and I'm long-winded enough as it is. ;) Between those four photos and my current avatar (in which I'm wearing Cane's Creations hat #36, a beautiful Whiskey felt with a 2-3/4" brim made by our own Cane Rod Maker) you can see my entire collection of fedoras so far. It's also pretty obvious that I like my fedoras shaped a certain way. lol

By the way, despite the way they photographed the Tawny Fawn Fed IV in the lower left photo in post #41 is actually slightly lighter in color and slightly warmer than the Taupe Fawn Campdraft on the lower right. I think this photo is a better representation of how the colors look in person in direct sunlight:

Akubras_04_zps381ff3a6.jpg

...While I like the CDs very much, I am thinking that having a Fed in the stable would be a good thing...
I couldn't agree more. Once you own one, you'll probably want another...and another...and another.

...Now the question is which one? What I am really trying to get is the difference between the quality levels. Not sure what the extra $40 dollars for the Deluxe in Heritage buys when the quality of the basic Imperial is so good. I am not cheap, but also not wasteful. Is there a significant cost benefit?
I wish I could help you there, but I've never seen or held a deluxe/Heritage Quality Fed IV in person. Based on comments I've read here the deluxe/Heritage Quality felt appears to have a slightly better finish/hand, and the deluxe hats have a better quality sweatband which doesn't shrink quite as much, so I think it really comes down to personal preference. But there are surely people here who own both and can speak from personal experience to give you a more accurate assessment.

RJR

I have both,I'd say the sweatband is the only real difference and I'm not at all sure its worth the difference in price.

MCrider

A-List Customer
Now the question is which one? What I am really trying to get is the difference between the quality levels. Not sure what the extra $40 dollars for the Deluxe in Heritage buys when the quality of the basic Imperial is so good. I am not cheap, but also not wasteful. Is there a significant cost benefit?

Fed

I also have one of each. For me the Deluxe is nice but quite a bit stiffer. The felt is better and you can tell that right off, but the sweatband felt less conforming and it took awhile to warm up to it. The standard Imperial grade felt is soft and it seems in no time that it's buttery soft. So after experiencing both grades I stick to the standard grade and have bought two more since . The truth is, you'll be happy no matter which you buy. Good luck on your choice.

milliedog

Familiar Face
"I was wondering whether the Deluxe is worth the extra money. Any comments on the differences and value of the two options?"

"Does anyone have Campdraft and Fed 4? Comparison comments?"

I went into the shop in Katoomba to buy a Fed IV fully expecting to buy the standard deluxe. I have two Campdrafts in the deluxe and like them alot. I walked out with the Heritage Fed. When you have a chance to compare the two side by side and try both on you quickly find the $40 extra is worth it. The comfort, the way the color seems somehow deeper and the feel all make the Heritage worth it. The fed IV is the most comfortable Akubra I own.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
For me, it would be if they added 1/4" to the brim width and flanged the brim with a bit more curl/cupping so that it wasn't quite so flat. Since that's not likely to happen any time soon (or ever), I'll happily wear the ones I have. :D

The Fed IIIs have about that much more brim than the IVs, and it is noticeable.

I have one brown Fed III, which is my most oft worn hat. I also have 3 Fed IVs - brown, tawny, and carbon, all standard Imperial. I've had the brown IV the longest, and put it through hell for the better part of a year so it is the softest of the IVs. My tawny and carbon are much stiffer in comparison, but I don't wear them much, so the softening process is taking a long time.

The III is a huge hat in comparison with the IVs. My III was bought very well used and broken in, so I don't know how stiff it was when it was new, but it's very soft now. The brim holds its shape because I have quite a severe turn in it. Since owning it, I have taken it apart, reblocked it, and it back together in the reverse direction due to thinning at what was the front pinch. It is still my go-to hat.

After it is no longer serviceable (whenever that is), my other hats, including my tawny, will get more head time.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
After deciding that here was not enough reason to depart upwards for the deluxe, I ordered one anyway. A Camp Draft in gray was just calling out. Sadly, the Glen Gray is no longer available, so a Moonstone is on its way. The Fed will need to wait a bit longer.

Fed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112