The Flathead Rider Jacket (Last Ever?)

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Arizor, May 10, 2019.

1. Imuricecreamman

Imuricecreamman A-List Customer

This is all shaping up really nicely :)

Arizor likes this.
  2. Captain Sensible

Captain Sensible A-List Customer

What’s the bag? Filson?

3. Arizor

Arizor Familiar Face

4. ai00344

ai00344 One of the Regulars

Always been a fan of this one as well, love the cafe halfbelt Frankenstein effect. It’s a 42 if I remember right? Would you mind providing the chest and shoulder measurements when you have a few minutes?

5. Arizor

Arizor Familiar Face

Since this thread has a bit of a resurrection, jacket at 6 months.

Attached Files:

Tommer45, RL204, Ayeteael and 9 others like this.
  6. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck Call Me a Cab

Still looks killer!

Arizor likes this.
  7. Imuricecreamman

Imuricecreamman A-List Customer

Leather looks amazing. The grain is really popping now.

Arizor likes this.
  8. Colin G

Colin G Practically Family

I have to ask. How much wider are the shoulders on this jacket compared to what you normally wear?

The reason I ask is I am looking at a jacket from a Japanese maker and the measurements are all spot on except the shoulders are 1" wider than I normally wear.

I am at 18" shoulder width and this jacket is at 19". Do any of you guys think 1" more width in the shoulders will be too big? I went through all my jackets and all I have is a levis trucker with a 19" shoulder width and it fits pretty good with just a bit of seam overhang over the edge of my shoulders.

9. ai00344

ai00344 One of the Regulars

I have jackets with both 18 and 19 inch shoulders, 18 is a touch tight on me. You can feel the difference when wearing the jacket but visually it’s barely noticeable (particularly when the jacket is broken in)

Colin G likes this.
  10. Arizor

Arizor Familiar Face

hey mate, I agree with @ai00344 , you won’t notice it too much. Plus having a bit more wiggle room in your shoulders allows mobility and actually feels better.

I normally wear jackets with 19”, and this is 20”, and I probably prefer this.

11. Colin G

What is your actual shoulder width at? 19" or under?

12. Arizor

Arizor Familiar Face

Last time I checked it was just under 19", but I'm doing a lot of shoulder work at the gym so it might be bigger now.

13. Colin G

Thanks Arizor.

I am trying to gauge your shoulder size to the pics of you in your jacket. In the pics it almost seems you have 1" overhang on each shoulder. You're a 19" shoulder while the jacket is at a 20" shoulder, correct?

I think 1" too wide on the shoulders of the jacket I'm looking at may be a bit large.

14. Arizor

Arizor Familiar Face

Correct @Colin G . I think you’ll be fine with it, look at @dudewuttheheck ’s pics too, he has similar over hang and it looks good.

dudewuttheheck likes this.
  15. Arizor

Arizor Familiar Face

My Flathead Rider and Racer jackets have been worn quite a lot these past few months, thought whilst I have a decent camera in my hands I'd snap some pics.

First 3 pics are of the Rider, next 3 are of the racer. Stitching is immaculate throughout, as you might expect.

I have to say, even for Shinki leather, the Rider leather is on some other planet.

The extra "greasing" process Flathead put this one through (if anyone speaks Japanese - https://www.flat-head.com/items/srj-07c/ ) has resulted in just the juiciest leather I've ever handled, and I've been to Tokyo and handled, bought and worn tonnes of Shinki.

The Racer leather is also gorgeous; a much more familiar Shinki kind of leather for those who've owned any.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck Call Me a Cab

Holy smokes that leather is indeed on a different planet. Some of the most intense and (IMO) beautiful arm creases I've ever seen.

Arizor likes this.
  17. Arizor

Arizor Familiar Face

Yeah it’s a completely different hand to any leather I’ve ever felt or seen. In person even folks utterly disinterested in our nerdy obsession instinctively reach out and run their hand over it and start asking questions.

Whatever this “greasing” process is, now Flathead have went under (good ep on the issue btw @dudewuttheheck ), they need to share the secret!

dudewuttheheck likes this.
  18. Tommer45

Tommer45 One of the Regulars

Jacket looks great! The leather looks amazing. And yeah I've been enjoying the D&B Podcast as well.

Arizor likes this.
  19. Ayeteael

Ayeteael New in Town

Killer jacket. Japanese leathers are calling me. Just nothing like it.

Arizor and Powerband like this.
  20. Powerband

Powerband Practically Family

Agreed... at least in my scope of experience with two Japanese makers. Just incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ayeteael and Arizor like this.