1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

The Flathead Rider Jacket (Last Ever?)

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Arizor, May 10, 2019.

1. Arizor

Arizor New in Town

Just received the Flat Head rider jacket; perhaps the last now they're closing up shop. Awesome quality as ever, just need to soften up the shoulders to deal with the usual quirky shoulder-chest ratio of FH stuff. This is a size XXL; I'm 6'2, 190lbs-ish.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With the zip up a few days later, shoulder softening.
    [​IMG]

2. hondurasdave47

hondurasdave47 One of the Regulars

Looks great! Love the boots too - Wesco Axe Breakers?

I had heard that The Flat Head was closing. Maybe this was already discussed, but do we know why?

3. Carlos840

Carlos840 One Too Many

Have you tried an XL?
    This one looks ok but it is definitely big on you, and very long too.

ton312 and navetsea like this.
  4. Graemsay

Graemsay Practically Family

From what I heard, the Japanese scene has moved away from workwear and onto fast fashion. So there aren't the customers for the products.

Giles @ Iron Heart reckons there'll be a shakeout of these brands.

5. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

It's certainly a very cool jacket. I agree with carlos maybe a size down for optimal fit (if available). Certainly not a bad fit but a bit too loose for my personal preference with this style.

6. Edward

Edward Bartender

I'm ot much up on the Japanese scene these days because $$$$$$ and they tend to have small size ranges, but it'll be interesting to see wat comes up on sales. This may be where some of the Chinese brands like Bronson will begin to excel within the niche.

7. navetsea

navetsea Call Me a Cab

honestly for asian build, all that period workwear fit and hat and scarf and stuff looks kind of weird, as weird as undercut hairstyle on typical asian round face, or scarce fuzzy beard some asian guy try to grow to look hard.

always look obviously costume.

Corky Corcovado likes this.
  8. Mich486

Mich486 Practically Family

I guess the folks at Iron Heart are pretty happy about TFH stopping to trade. To me they seem two very very similar brands: solid well made workwear stuff with a focus on heavy fabrics and with very conservative/basic designs. Iron heart seems like a bigger operation (in relative terms) and more available in the west.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ton312 likes this.
  9. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Iron Heart delivers anything in their stock to Chicago (from the UK) in 3 days. If I order Monday, I'll have it Wednesday. Hard to ignore and/or compete with that!

10. Boyo

Boyo One Too Many

That could be true, but I also think they may be shitting their pants a bit, If a brand like The Flat Head can close up shop due to changing tastes/declining sales .. could IH be far behind? I've seen IH release a unique item/denim/jacket that doesn't sell and they're stuck with a large inventory.. they do try to move them on in their "Outlet" but I'm sure once discounted they would be lucky to break even.

@Arizor ..sorry to derail the thread.. I like the jacket, the fit looks comfortable.. I know I could live with a jacket that looked like that on me..

Mich486 likes this.
  11. Colin G

Colin G Practically Family

IH Outlet? Do tell...

Online?

Boyo likes this.
  12. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab

I like it and it looks great on you. To me, it looks very similar to Aero's Highwayman, perhaps cut a bit slimmer I don't know Flat Head's full product line, but I assume they must offer some more distinctive styles as well, which will be missed when they close down.

nick123 likes this.
  13. Boyo

Boyo One Too Many

"IH Outlet? Do tell...

Online?"

yes..I hate to do this to you but.. take a look at the bottom right of the IH home page..

upload_2019-5-10_12-41-14.png

ton312 likes this.
  14. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Moving on from workwear....
    I’m gonna be actively watching yahoo auctions.jp !!!!
    Can’t wait for Freewheelers and Rainbow Country at closeout prices! :D

15. red devil

red devil One Too Many

I would hope that these are here to stay, their workmanship is known to be the best in Japan (the rainbow country factory produces Freewheelers jackets)

hondurasdave47 and Guppy like this.
  16. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Yeah, but if the masses are moving forward, hopefully they will “dump” these fantastic jackets on the used market.

ProteinNerd and red devil like this.
  17. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

in a size 44":)

18. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

Nice jacket. If they're moving on from "workwear" to "fashion", categories in many ways diameterically opposed to each other, I have to wonder...I know it's a business and maybe it's a way to keep producing jackets with evolving consumer tastes, but a bit of an odd jump. I suppose in some ways this "workwear" revival was mostly fashion and posteuring all along. Prefer the simple "vintage inspired leather jacket" over the whole lifestyle thing.

19. breezer

breezer A-List Customer

damn FH is one of my faves.......though I only have one piece. Much nicer than IH in my humble opinion. Nice jacket BTW, sleeve length look just right.

20. ProteinNerd

ProteinNerd My Mail is Forwarded Here

My Flat Head CR is one of my favourites....its such a nice jacket...what a shame they are going under!

@Arizor nice looking jacket in a relaxed fit....I think its the angle in the first picture that makes it look long, in the last picture its not covering his jeans front pockets.

Benny Holiday likes this.