Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward

Bartender
Hey now. Some of my favorite role models were Uppity Women in 1948. It's the people who insist there *were no* uppity women until the sixties who need to be filtered out.

Well, quite. Along with all the twits who think everybody was a raving monarchist before 1977, and who affect all sort of bizarre attitudes they think are "vintage" (or use vintage as an excuse for the same). The "everybody was a racist" camp are very far from being the only revisionists kicking around.

Flicka

One Too Many
Oh, absolutely. There are one too many folks around the vintage set who are into it because they wish it was still 1948 "before women and ethnics got uppity". The easier it is to filter them out the better.

Hey now. Some of my favorite role models were Uppity Women in 1948. It's the people who insist there *were no* uppity women until the sixties who need to be filtered out.

I think you both mean "the people who insist there were no uppity women until the sixties and think that's a good thing". They baffle me.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I don't pay much attention to the men's-oriented sections of the Lounge, and I don't really know anything about the vintage "scene," but just from the overall way discussions tend to go in the areas of the Lounge that I do frequent I fortunately don't see too many of that sort around here. If ever they did show up, they wouldn't last long -- we're too uppity.

Flicka

One Too Many
To be fair, most of those people I've met have been what I would call general conservatives (quite often upper class) who wouldn't know vintage from their uncle, so I wasn't really thinking about 'the vintage scene' either.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
...Without the video, the four Mounties who fatally tazered the unfortunate Polish visitor at Vancouver’s airport would have walked away from their exceptionally egregious behaviour scott free.

Don't believe everything you think you know about that incident either. I can tell you from the inside scoop that the public's perception of that incident is far from accurate or informed.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Oh, absolutely. There are one too many folks around the vintage set who are into it because they wish it was still 1948 "before women and ethnics got uppity". The easier it is to filter them out the better.

Ha ha ha you should have met my grandmother. She was born in 1899, the daughter of a Dutch bargee, she stood 5' 11" in her stocking feet and if you didn't pay her due respect she would punch your lights out. After reading you your horoscope in a very frank manner.

Last edited:
All video can be edited and that can change the perception of the viewer. Here in LA Rodney King was speeding and resisted arrest plus the tazers did not take him down. The cops were afraid that he was on PCP and took action based on his actions. On TV you did not see any of the non-compliance and resistance so RK was Saint Rodney, not a criminal.

All video can be edited and that can change the perception of the viewer. Here in LA Rodney King was speeding and resisted arrest plus the tazers did not take him down. The cops were afraid that he was on PCP and took action based on his actions. On TV you did not see any of the non-compliance and resistance so RK was Saint Rodney, not a criminal.
It's a common occurrence. The latest was the "Stand your ground" case in Florida where they only showed the accused (Zimmerman) in his mug shot vs a six-year old pic of the (Martin) victim. It's sadly the way the media gets its way in shaping public opinion...

Feraud

Bartender
It's a common occurrence. The latest was the "Stand your ground" case in Florida where they only showed the accused (Zimmerman) in his mug shot vs a six-year old pic of the (Martin) victim. It's sadly the way the media gets its way in shaping public opinion...

Do the photos really matter when an armed man in a truck who was told by 911 NOT to engage someone stalks and shoots an un-armed man?
The murder of Trayvon Martin has absolutely nothing to do with "standing your ground".

Edward

Bartender

Criminal or no, he seemed pretty subdued already while they carried on beating him on the ground. Guess I just hold the police to higher standards than a bunch of criminal thugs. [huh]

Feraud

Bartender
Rodney King was more than subdued as the police continued to beat him. They had plenty of time to slap the cuffs on him. No one debates King was resisting arrest at the time and the idea that "the video didn't show the whole story" is asinine.
The day four armed policemen cannot subdue one man is when your police deparment needs a serious evaluation.

Rathdown

Practically Family
Do the photos really matter...
Yes, as they present a blatantly false image of the person Mr. Zimmerman is accused of shooting.
when an armed man in a truck...
Mr. Zimmerman was on foot, not in a vehicle at the time the alleged shooting occurred.
...who was told by 911 NOT to engage someone
By "someone" you refer to the 17 year old Trayvon Martin; when told it was not necessary to follow Martin by the 911 dispatcher, Mr. Zimmerman turned away from Mr. Martin and attempted to return to his vehicle.
... stalks
A highly emotional and very inaccurate word.
...and shoots an un-armed man?
The unarmed man, Trayvon Martin, had attacked Mr. Zimmerman from behind as he attempted to return to his vehicle, knocked him to the ground and was hitting him when Mr. Zimmerman drew his pistol and shot his assailant.
The murder of Trayvon Martin...
Murder? "Killing" would be a more accurate, and far less inflammatory word in this instance.
... has absolutely nothing to do with "standing your ground".
I'd suggest that you read the Florida "Stand Your Ground" statute. The minute that Mr. Zimmerman broke off contact with Trayvon Martin (as was requested by the 911 dispatcher) and returned to his vehicle, his status was the same as Mr. Martin's prior to Mr. Zimmerman engaging him on the public sidewalk. That Trayvon Martin decided to attack Mr. Zimmerman as he returned to his vehicle made Martin the aggressor, and once he knocked Mr. Zimmerman to the ground and began to pummel him, Mr. Zimmerman had every right to defend himself from that attack.

Not that the facts matter much to those armchair judges presiding over the kangaroo court of sound bites that surrounds this case.

Last edited:

Rathdown

Practically Family
Rodney King was more than subdued as the police continued to beat him. They had plenty of time to slap the cuffs on him. No one debates King was resisting arrest at the time and the idea that "the video didn't show the whole story" is asinine.
The day four armed policemen cannot subdue one man is when your police deparment needs a serious evaluation.
Spoken like someone who has never been a policeman, and who has never had to subdue a suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff