Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flicka

One Too Many
DSCF7785.jpg

You know; that sign could mean "alcohol, drug & free motel".

O2BSwank

One of the Regulars
Well at least the sign indicates that the management is going to take responsibility to enforce their own policies; by ensuring that only the allowed number of occupants are using the room, no loud behavior that annoys the other patrons, no under age use of alcohol, no mini-rave in the rooms. At least they are trying.

The great difficulty is kids today are often not socialized by their parents and many are also spoiled to a degree that a people 40 years old or more might have difficulty understanding. It may not be all kids but it sure seems like a high percentage.

In the recent past there was a couple that had 2 kids a boy about 4 and a girl that was 2. The kids were holy terrors. The parents did not believe in adominishing or correcting their children more than the willie wonka stop don't do that. The kids would come thru like a tornado knocking over stuff and breaking things, the little darlings they were. If you yelled at them to stop the parents got mad and chastise you.
If any of yyou are familiar with Star Trek and the concept of not contaminating emerging civilzations amongst friends i refered to the parents as the Prime Directive Parents. Let your kids be raised like the Goodall chimps and don't worry if they act like animals they will be wonderful enlightened hippie people in the future.

In the 80's Bill Cosby did some HBO comedy specials mostly about raising kids -how he was raised and how he raised his kids. It takes loving parents to disipline children.

Last edited:

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
My husband and I were in a restaurant for brunch on Sunday. The boy sitting in the booth behind me looked to be about ten. He was banging on the table, singing aloud and horribly and being a general nuisance. His parents did nothing to stop him. Then a couple they knew came over to their table and the mother boasted about how his teachers all say how polite he is and all kinds of accolades.

Now I'm sure he's a nice child, but how could she have been so oblivious to how rude her son was being and ruined my dining experience not to mention that of others?

Low standards.

Feraud

Bartender
Now I'm sure he's a nice child, but how could she have been so oblivious to how rude her son was being and ruined my dining experience not to mention that of others?

Low standards.

I'd guess those parents have an un-realistic impression of their child. Many parents do.
If they are lacking the kind of standards that say your 10 year old should not be a nuisance in public how could they accurately judge their child's behavior?

I've bowed out of more than one conversation on defining standards when I realize the other person has a completely different set of morals and values than I. There is no point in continuing a conversation when two people can never reach a base reference point to judge what is acceptable.

You'll never convince some parents their little angels are anything but. Even when the parents are at the local police station collecting their darlings from a holding cell.

I'd guess those parents have an un-realistic impression of their child. Many parents do.
If they are lacking the kind of standards that say your 10 year old should not be a nuisance in public how could they accurately judge their child's behavior?

I've bowed out of more than one conversation on defining standards when I realize the other person has a completely different set of morals and values than I. There is no point in continuing a conversation when two people can never reach a base reference point to judge what is acceptable.

You'll never convince some parents their little angels are anything but. Even when the parents are at the local police station collecting their darlings from a holding cell.

It is the myopict double standard that is most amazing. In LA it's way too often the mom's lil gangsta bit off more than he could chew. Recently a junoir high girl in San Berdoo or Riverside had her classmates break-in to kill her mom because the mom was telling her who she could not hang out with!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner