Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

scooter

Practically Family
Lincsong, we see the problem in microcosm right here in America every day. In point of fact, I think that is what got us in trouble with the real estate/mortgage crisis. Certain fools in our legislative branch want to make believe that we are all entitled to a nice house in the 'burbs. They believe that the barista at Starbucks, or the cashier at Burger King are entitled to the same benefits and rewards as someone such as myself, who invested 21 years earning a military pension and has worked my entire life at a variety of decent paying jobs, taking great care to spend wisely and save money, etc. I, by no means, intend to belittle these other folks, but the simple truth is, they haven't paid their dues and earned the rewards that I have. We cannot legislate these rewards to one and all, as Nancy Pelosi would have us believe. They must be earned thru hard work and sacrifice. In the real world, the rule is simple. If you don't work, you don't eat.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Sometimes it will come back to get you before you leave. Working as a supermarket cashier in high school, we did some pretty sneaky things to people who were rude to us

I work in a university, and some faculty treat the support staff like dirt. Having worked as a support staff member, I saw first hand how the very little things that can be done to make someone's life hell. All technically within the guidelines of appropriate behavior. And believe me, if you do it to one person on staff, you've done it to everyone they know. Your payback will be swift in arriving and long in the running.

It's really not that hard to be nice to people, is it? (Apparently, yes, it is.)`

I'm convinced that everybody who is on a power trip of rudeness actually feels powerless in their everyday lives. They have no control over their daily lives, they feel so powerless, that they need to do something. So they try to control, to have power over people through rudeness. It is how they define their sphere of influence. I've known a number of people well enough to believe that this is true in most cases of people who are rude all the time. And this is sad for everyone, including them.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Lincsong, we see the problem in microcosm right here in America every day. In point of fact, I think that is what got us in trouble with the real estate/mortgage crisis. Certain fools in our legislative branch want to make believe that we are all entitled to a nice house in the 'burbs. They believe that the barista at Starbucks, or the cashier at Burger King are entitled to the same benefits and rewards as someone such as myself, who invested 21 years earning a military pension and has worked my entire life at a variety of decent paying jobs, taking great care to spend wisely and save money, etc. I, by no means, intend to belittle these other folks, but the simple truth is, they haven't paid their dues and earned the rewards that I have. We cannot legislate these rewards to one and all, as Nancy Pelosi would have us believe. They must be earned thru hard work and sacrifice. In the real world, the rule is simple. If you don't work, you don't eat.

This morning I was scanning the radio stations and came across these boneheads, (turned out it was a sports station, so no wonder they have no brain) but anyway one of the idiots was complaining that at age 32 his 401K was only worth $400 a month. The fool had the gall to say; "oh I don't want to work for another 35 years and die, I want to retire and be able to snowboard on every continent, but I can't do that on $400 a month"!!!!!

I wish I was near that radio station so I could have walked up and kicked him in his rear.

It's almost as if nobody understands working for a living anymore. My buddy told me he wanted to retire in 30 years, we're 20, because that's when our plant will finally qualify you for retirement benefits. I explained to him that it'd dry up long before he died. He failed to understand. With the world the way it is today, I'd guess my generation won't be able to retire comfortably until age 75 or 80.

This morning I was scanning the radio stations and came across these boneheads, (turned out it was a sports station, so no wonder they have no brain) but anyway one of the idiots was complaining that at age 32 his 401K was only worth $400 a month. The fool had the gall to say; "oh I don't want to work for another 35 years and die, I want to retire and be able to snowboard on every continent, but I can't do that on $400 a month"!!!!!

I wish I was near that radio station so I could have walked up and kicked him in his rear.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Well Tom, now we're starting to get into politics and that's banned here on The Lounge. No talking about idiot's at the UAW and United Steelworkers who sunk Detroit and Pittsburgh with "30 and out" contracts or public employee's milking the taxpayers dry with age 55 and 80-100% retirement pay.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
No talking about idiot's at the UAW and United Steelworkerswho sunk Detroit and Pittsburgh with "30 and out" contracts or public employee's milking the taxpayers dry with age 55 and 80-100% retirement pay.
I saw how you did that......it's an old political trick..........:p

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up

Good points, scooter, and thanks for your military service.

Pompidou

One Too Many
Every culture has its pros and cons, boiling down in my mind to imperialism vs barbarism, and I'm sure everyone thinks their own culture is #1, and I'm no exception. I have my complaints, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. After all, all of my complaints are largely philosophical for the most part and have no bearing on my day-to-day quality of life, which is very good.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I feel a certain decline in standards right here on this forum!
Somebody puts up a post with a question, other people try to give answers. Try to help this someone out. Some even spend time digging up old threads and posting links or links to other sites, where this someone might find answers to his problem/question.
And what happens? Nothing! Not even a thank you.
I am rather fed up with that, and I am really thinking: Why bother?
Sorry. End of rant!

Pompidou

One Too Many
The best reason to bother is to accumulate guru points in the minds of the general membership. Even when no recognition of a right answer is given, it's still at least subconsciously recorded. Pretty soon, you're a name to look for in discussions. Name recognition is its own reward.

You raise a really good point. I've never thought of it that way, and have probably done exactly what your complaint is here. To anybody I've done that to, I whole-heartedly apologize!

I feel a certain decline in standards right here on this forum!
Somebody puts up a post with a question, other people try to give answers. Try to help this someone out. Some even spend time digging up old threads and posting links or links to other sites, where this someone might find answers to his problem/question.
And what happens? Nothing! Not even a thank you.
I am rather fed up with that, and I am really thinking: Why bother?
Sorry. End of rant!

Pompidou

One Too Many
You raise a really good point. I've never thought of it that way, and have probably done exactly what your complaint is here. To anybody I've done that to, I whole-heartedly apologize!

Spitfire's complaint and your apology form an interesting discussion as to how real world values translate to the internet. I think it's actually a discussion, because, taking me as an example: I'm pretty good about saying thank you - I arguably do it unnecessarily in real life. I thank officers for speeding tickets. It's just a reflex. I don't have to think to say thanks. On the other hand, ET could count on one hand the number of times I've posted in a message board just to say thanks. If I've got more to say on the topic, I'll throw a thanks in the bigger message, but I don't, for the most part (exceptions could be dug up I'm sure) like making spammy I agree, thanks, smiley, etc types of replies. I probably won't change my habit in that regard, but it's good to know some people object.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The best reason to bother is to accumulate guru points in the minds of the general membership. Even when no recognition of a right answer is given, it's still at least subconsciously recorded. Pretty soon, you're a name to look for in discussions. Name recognition is its own reward.
Sure, you might gain a reputation as somebody willing to share their knowledge and there's a certain warmth attained from that but it pales in comparison to receiving a big fat heartfelt Thank You!

But then I was taught to acknowledge an effort put forth on my behalf with eye contact, a smile, a handshake and a Thank You.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Why should anyone say "thank-you" on this or any discussion thread??? It's just that; a discussion board, not like someone is asking for help changing a tire. Makes no sense and appears rather condescending in much the same way white people go into a Chinese restaurant and bow to the waitress or busboy. WTF???? They'll bow, but then stiff them on the tip. Yeah, you're really equal to them. No, that's being a condescending tight wad.

Last edited:

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Why should anyone say "thank-you" on this or any discussion thread??? It's just that; a discussion board, not like someone is asking for help changing a tire.
No - it's not like changing a tire (Couldn't do that anyway) but when someone asks: "Where do I buy this or that?" "With what do I treat my leatherjacket, so it becomes softer?" "How do I get the fleece on my bomber jacket more curly and not long and fluffy?" "Where can I read more on the Underground movement in Norway or Denmark during WWII?"
It's questions like that. They might not be as important as a flat tire to you, but I believe they deserve an answer, and I have up till now, done what I could to help.
Maybe it's just because people are to damn lazy to do the search themselves...so they just shout out like a spoiled teenager.
I don't think this forum as a discussion forum- but more like a place where you can have - yes - discussions, but also a place where you can seek inspiration, knowledge and information. But maybe I am wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic