Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
pillsbury_doughboy_wallpaper-320x480.jpg
I drink those at home with friends not among the Croissant Crunchers. :p
You drink your special beer, but won't invite this guy over to join you?
Oh I admit, after a few beers he tends to swell up a bit, with that "yeast" problem and all. :D

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
The decline in standards today... it's so refreshing when someone proves all is not lost. My daughter and I are staying with friends right now in their Victorian home, a historical landmark that seems to have once been a boarding house- it has little mail slots at the bottom of the doors- and they've been gracious, welcoming, and in every way deserving of this old home. Because the way they have about them suits the hospitality of certain past eras.

I'm not sure. Older folks are typically the kindest folks I meet.

My opinion is, regardless of the generation, there's just people who are jerks, pompous, arrogant, etc, etc. There's been good and bad folks throughout history.

Going the other way certainly is the better option of the two!

The artist seemed to have an awfully high opinion of himself. Maybe people care less about being polite as they grow older. I am going the other way!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Mail slots still exists however not sure how much longer the USPS will exist.

CCJ

Postal rates for first class mail are going up a penny again to 46c. Who built the USPS business model? There's less demand, so let's make it more attractive by offering the same service for more money!

But then again, I'm figuring they know there won't be any significant jumps is postal usage any time soon so they might as well try to make some money on what's left.

Postal rates for first class mail are going up a penny again to 46c. Who built the USPS business model? There's less demand, so let's make it more attractive by offering the same service for more money! But then again, I'm figuring they know there won't be any significant jumps is postal usage any time soon so they might as well try to make some money on what's left.

The USPS has one of the most enviable retirement packages in the US. Many USPS has a large number of people that have already retired from the military and are receiving a military pension. One of my brother's brother in law's is in the UPSP and has his Navy retirement he has got the $$$$$. (Bought a Rausch Mustang a couple of years back.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I can grouse about a lot of things, but I can't get worked up into a dudgeon over the postal service. Forty-six cents to mail a letter that will get to its destination in a couple of days 99 percent of the time is one of the best bargains going. Considering in all the years I've used the mail I've lost exactly two items -- a letter in 1977 and a package in 2002 -- I have absolutely nothing to complain about. I'll trust them over FedEx or UPS any day of the week. The only change I'd make if it were up to me is to have them do passport applications someplace else. I always seem to get to the Post Office when some family of six is applying for papers to visit their cousin in Canada.

For some reason Arizona seems to be a black hole when it comes to mail because so many things I've shipped there somehow got lost. :eusa_doh: The funniest was shipping a package from California to Seattle. I was tracking it and at one point in its journey it ended up in Florida!

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I can grouse about a lot of things, but I can't get worked up into a dudgeon over the postal service. Forty-six cents to mail a letter that will get to its destination in a couple of days 99 percent of the time is one of the best bargains going. Considering in all the years I've used the mail I've lost exactly two items -- a letter in 1977 and a package in 2002 -- I have absolutely nothing to complain about. I'll trust them over FedEx or UPS any day of the week. The only change I'd make if it were up to me is to have them do passport applications someplace else. I always seem to get to the Post Office when some family of six is applying for papers to visit their cousin in Canada.
They do appointments at the post office I go to daily.
But the nice thing is you can get your picture taken at Walgreens, and the USPS accepts that.
BTW I'm starting to see the effects of "downsizing" at the PO I go to.
Lines are getting longer, and this is at 8:30am!
The reason being, there is only ONE clerk working. Lovely....poor girl she does what she can and somehow manages to be nice about it, despite the rude comments from others in line behind me.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A good friend of mine has been a postal clerk for many years. Because of these cuts she works three shifts a day at three different post offices in three different towns twenty miles apart. I don't know what her pension will be if she lives long enough to retire, but she'll have earned every penny.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
A good friend of mine has been a postal clerk for many years. Because of these cuts she works three shifts a day at three different post offices in three different towns twenty miles apart. I don't know what her pension will be if she lives long enough to retire, but she'll have earned every penny.
That last part is the key...sadly.
Somehow the 18yrs I have left until retirement, after already putting in almost 25 already, doesn't seem as bad as your friend's situation.

I never have had an issue with USPS, either. I don't trust them too much with fragile packages, but the same can be said of any shipping company. My letters always get there fast, and my packages on time. I really don't think their letter prices are all that extreme. I mean, you can't hardly buy a can of soda pop for under 50 cents anymore.

I kinda think the same thing, but it's the dimensions that get you, there. Well, they're a business just like any other and they're all gonna try to get you one way or another. My service is always good at mine, and as long as the service stays good, I don't mind the prices so much.

It cost over $9.00 to send a Fedora via USPS without insurance. That seems high for such a light weight object.

Just my 02 cents.

Best regards
CCJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24