Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I am generally not hard to get along with, but I will not stand for that. I was never a regular Walmart shopper, but I was accosted once and asked for my receipt. I politely told the fellow no and he threatened to call the police. I pulled out my phone and told him I would call for him. He asked me to leave. We must all collectively stand up to this foolishness where ever it happens or it will only increase.

Here, here. I whole-heartedly agree. I've gotten into the habit of shopping Wal-Mart late at night when they usually don't have a person assigned to receipt checks. But on the rare occasion that I have to go there during the day, I've taken to politely say "no" when they ask to see my receipt. Most of the time they'll let it go unchallenged, but if they insist, I'll say, "No Sir, because that's an insult and I'm in no way obligated under law to show you my receipt. If you have reason to suspect I've committed a crime then call a cop. Otherwise I'll be on my way."

Might have said this before..but my youngest child(Son) went to a small Christian school ..for many good reasons. One of which is: The teachers personally cared. The younger kids looked up to the upperclassmen..and in turn they helped the younger kids and established their friendship and respect. Best thing I ever did. My son is now in his second year of college. In my view..the relationships he made in that type of school are invaluable.
My three older Daughters went to a big public school..and had mixed feelings about what they experienced. A whole different atmosphere and not all so pleasant.
HD

Might have said this before..but my youngest child(Son) went to a small Christian school ..for many good reasons. One of which is: The teachers personally cared. The younger kids looked up to the upperclassmen..and in turn they helped the younger kids and established their friendship and respect. Best thing I ever did. My son is now in his second year of college. In my view..the relationships he made in that type of school are invaluable.
My three older Daughters went to a big public school..and had mixed feelings about what they experienced. A whole different atmosphere and not all so pleasant.
HD

Your son experienced the same thing my sons experience now. I like it---as I have said before. :p It may cost more now but it will cost less later in therapy sessions. :p

I'm not saying my own high school experience was all roses. But overall I think it was more good than bad. I was neither a "popular" kid, nor an outcast, but fell somewhere comfortably in between.

That might have been the case long before I graduated but it sure wasn't when I was there. I was neither as well nor did anyone pick on me but the experience stunk. The teachers were inadequate and couldn't teach. The counselors were useless and couldn't counsel. The administrators were worthless and couldn't administer. They got me mixed up with a similarly named juvenile deliquent and sent me his detention slips. Oh, that was fun getting out of that......:rolleyes:
It has only gotten worse since I graduated as well. My son was plagued by a bully whose parents stuck up for him at every turn. The teacher, counselors and administration were useless in dealing with it so I told him to punch him out. That ended that problem but created others. I am done with government education because it is worth exactly what you pay for it. He got yanked out of there as fast as possible.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Absolutely right. The whole idea of intoxication-as-fun-social-outlet is the root of the problem. And that's what has to go.

As I recall from history class, a bunch of ladies got together and suggested something like this once before . . . it led to the passing of the 18th Amendment. Prohibition wrecked havoc on our nation for 13 years. It was a failure, as is the current war on marijuana.

I'm not entirely pro-dope, but from a practical standpoint, you cannot keep the populous from doing something they are bound and determined to do. Billions upon billions of dollars are spent on the war on drugs. 80% of our prison population are there on non-violent drug charges. How much does it cost to house and feed them? All for what? Anyone who wants pot can get it as easily as going into a liquor store and buying a bottle of booze - even easier than buying booze if you happen to be underage.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
As I recall from history class, a bunch of ladies got together and suggested something like this once before . . . it led to the passing of the 18th Amendment. Prohibition wrecked havoc on our nation for 13 years. It was a failure, as is the current war on marijuana.

I'm not entirely pro-dope, but from a practical standpoint, you cannot keep the populous from doing something they are bound and determined to do. Billions upon billions of dollars are spent on the war on drugs. 80% of our prison population are there on non-violent drug charges. How much does it cost to house and feed them? All for what? Anyone who wants pot can get it as easily as going into a liquor store and buying a bottle of booze - even easier than buying booze if you happen to be underage.

Actually, Prohibition worked very well in Maine for over eighty years. And you'll still find people here, from old Maine families, who will tell you that Repeal was a mistake. I am one of them, and I see evidence of it around me every day of the year in lives destroyed by the culture of intoxication.

As far as jailing drug users are concerned, I don't favor that. I favor compulsory detoxification. And I don't advocate jailing drug dealers, either. I advocate *shooting* them.

And now I'm going back to lurking, because I can see that I'm not ready to be "debating" this. God help the stinking pothead who approaches me with a legalization petition.

Last edited:

vintageTink

One Too Many

Maybe instead of jailing them and us paying for their upkeep, we could send them to Sheriff Joe in Arizona. Pink undies, manual labor, living in tents.
Or send them to fields to pick fruits and veggies, make them earn their freedom. See if they want to go back to jail. :D
Or send them to Europe.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/police-co...law-over-drunken-violence-20130330-2h03q.html

Sydney is currently in major trouble because of the binge-drinking culture that has erupted in the teeange to 25 year age group.
Drunken violence is a nightly part of the nightlife in the George St entertainment strip and Kings Cross. Basically, it's gotten to the point where it's out of control.

Last October my wife and I went with some friends to see the Glenn Miller orchestra perform in the City. Afterwards we went looking for a late supper and were greeted with a scene of thousands - and I mean thousands - of drunken girls, many under age, vomiting in the street, or wobbling up the street in ridiculous high heels, wearing skirts up to their navels, or lying moaning in the entrance to alleyways, while bands of young guys roamed the streets looking for someone to punch. A kid was stabbed across the road from where we walked, and then later at a cafe while we tried to eat, a girl behind me started to vomit into a paper McDonald's bag.

The whole situation was a disgrace.

vintageTink

One Too Many
I don't either. I did back in my late teens, but then realized it wasn't a good idea. Now that I'm older I just don't care to celebrate that much, especially with wine...costs too much. :D

You could just put some grapes in a bathtub, stomp on them, pour it in a mason jar, dump in some sugar, bury it in your backyard to ferment. Voile, wine!
:D

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The youth binge drinking and violence culture has been a regular news item here over the past few years, but to actually see it in person is truly shocking. It was like a dangerous carnival for idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou