Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardH

One of the Regulars
I didn't have a clue as to what song I would like at my funeral (we don't really have that in my religion). But, if my friends get together for a drink a while later, I would like them to play "I'll be seeing you." Kind of creepy, but that's the point (sort of a joke with my friends).
What religion do you follow? (Just curious)
I wan't "Hallowed Be Thy Name" by Iron Maiden in my funeral. Either that or "Estranged" by Guns 'n' Roses. Those songs gives me the chills everytime i hear 'em.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I've seen two news articles in a very short span about people waking up at their own funerals. The first, which I think happened in Eastern Europe, the old lady woke up in her casket during the funeral, then died for real in shock after letting out a scream. The second, which only happened a few days ago, happened in South Africa, and the man woke up in the morgue refrigerator after a couple days, then started banging to be let out, and supposedly the attendants thought "Ghost!" and ran away. He got let out eventually and is apparently doing just fine. I suppose, if people are going to throw me a funeral, the polite thing to do would be to wake up and say thanks. I don't know what music I'd have playing, but I'm pretty sure nobody would like it.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
When President Roosevelt died, people had common sense when it came to dressing, because most of them had been brought up right...by their parents. Now people (kids) have been brought up by the tv, others at school, etc, because their parents either didn't have time to raise them or didn't care to. So they act as others do, based on what they see each day.
A family member and her husband raised their 2 kids while working full time jobs, the husband worked 16 and sometimes 19hr days with 2 days off (which he spent resting out of neccessity). Even during this 15yr period, they made sure at least one was at the childrens school for meetings, with the children for homework each night, and with the children when they got in trouble to make sure they understood WHY that act wasn't proper. I see it in the kids as they've grown older (now in their 20's). They are responsible, take initiative to do for others as well as themselves (instead of waiting for something to be given to them), and take pride in their appearance when they deem it neccessary (church, work, family events, etc). The decline in standards whether it be language, dress, or what have you, is based on upbringing and the effort that went into it (or the lack thereof).

Ianthepilot

New in Town
I agree with Gregg and pretty much everyone who's posted that standards have went down because of upbringing. I'm just 19, but I like to think of myself as a 'reasonably good' individual. I take myself and what I do seriously, and although I'm not the epitome of manners and professionalism, I'm more than polite and serious enough to turn the heads of my older peers.
I can say with certainty that what parents do rubs off on their children. If the parent doesn't care enough to act when a kid comes home with a straight 'D' report card, the kid won't care enough to do any better. The same goes for manners and respect. Kids need motivation. Now personally I'm against hitting a kid, no matter the reason, but there's always another way to motivate. It doesn't make too much sense to expect a kid to have principles when the parents don't. My father motivated me to follow the straight path in life by doing the exact opposite, and showing me exactly what I didn't want to be. However way you get it, whether it's by teaching the kid better, showing them examples, or Maker forbid beating it into them, it's the upbringing that makes them into who they will be in the end. Simple sociology.

Last edited:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
And it's not just what they are wearing. You can see by their faces that they are mourning and showing reverence. I can't tell you the number of church weddings and funerals where the clothing was totally inappropriate but the actions of the congregation were totally disrespectful. Talking, taking pictures, texting, drinking from water bottles, etc.

I work at a large metropolitan church and have for years, so I see several weddings & funerals each month. I could curl hair with stories about some of the things I've seen worn & done. Weddings are typically worse... but not always!

PoohBang

Suspended
I don't see any decline in "standards" today.

Kids and adults did bad things since the dawn of man. I think most of the views seem to romanticize the past a little too much and forget the bad that happened back in the day.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I don't see any decline in "standards" today.

Kids and adults did bad things since the dawn of man. I think most of the views seem to romanticize the past a little too much and forget the bad that happened back in the day.

Right, but people were better about being bad back then. ;)

PoohBang

Suspended
lol. Murder, Rape, Vandalism all happened back in the day too. They just didn't happen to have instant access to reading/watching it like we do today.

And they dressed like what everyone dressed like in the day.

Kids today dress just like everyone dress like today. And I'm not referring to people on this forum. I'm using the majority of Americans.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Yes those crimes occured back then, in fact since the earliest recordings of man's beginning.
However, the number of them has increased, the intensity of them has increased, and the number of those concerned about the crimes has decreased.
It's not so much romanticising as it is an observation by many on here, some of which have studied the "golden age" and realized this.
Yeah I'd love to think that in the next 10 years people will murder, rape, rob, steal, and who knows what else LESS, but they won't.
Allowing the tv to teach instead of the parent, has resulted in a society concerned about "me" and not their neighbor.
This IMHO has become the root of what we face today, a decline in standards.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Allowing the tv to teach instead of the parent, has resulted in a society concerned about "me" and not their neighbor.

I would add to that a general lack of consequences for young people too (children and teens) because TV doesn't dole out consequences.

And when something actually happens, it becomes a blame game as to who is responsible and who could have stopped it. The teachers, the government, their friends, their addictions, their neighborhood, anything but take responsibility for their actions and deal with the consequences. I include in this not only the young person taking responsbility, but parents taking responsibility for their minor child's actions.

Note: I am talking about a general trend, not every single teen, child, or parent out there. And I think this trend started long ago- in some cases you see families of 3 generations where there have been no consequences taught in childhood.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I think it also may be that how in today's social structure, we have a few generations of parents that have to both work, have been given too many "guidelines" as to what they can and cannot do regarding discipline, and in part, some families actually live their life for their "children", rather than to be a loving happy married couple that instead of allowing the children to be the boss and run life, will put the spouse above all else and give a child a positive role to follow.

In reading about what teachers have to put up with, I could not do the job they do and give them credit for the tolerance they have. In school in my day, the last thing you wanted was for Mom or Dad to be called that you did something wrong in school. Today, it seems parents will desire to blame the teachers for what their brats may do. I raised my children to be fully accountable for what they do and was fairly lucky they learned to be respectful and helpful to adults and especially teachers. Lord knows if I was a teacher, I would beyond a doubt be in jail for lambasting some smart mouthed aggressive child and/or parent.

I totally think things are far from as proper as they used to be. A current "theme" is, if the glove fits, LIE about it! Deny what you can and blame anyone else whenever possible. It is more than what the T.V. programs have forwarded into our lives. As a group socially, we have allowed it to happen. The " Don't spank your kids", all of it is what we have allowed to take place.

PoohBang

Suspended
no, not young. I just don't wear rose colored glasses.

Keep in mind in 1940 there was 2/3 less people in the US... so yes, crime has increased since then, in terms of numbers but I don't think in terms of amount per people.

rue

I don't wear rose colored glasses. I come from a family that all sorts of problems during the 'golden era', but even those people admit that it was better then. Maybe it wasn't perfect, but your kids could play in the yard, people talked to one another and the world was run by adults, not children.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana