Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.
A not general decline in standards moment.

I grabbed a quart of milk for my girlfriend's coffee at the supermarket this morning (a brief Fading Fast household crisis occurred when she realized there was no milk - she is a wonderful person when she has had her morning coffee - 'nough said) and got in the express line behind a guy who had +/- 10 items (the allowed number) and he immediately offered to let me go in front when he saw I had one item. I declined, but he then persistent so nicely and enthusiastically that I did.

Then I noticed that the gentleman in front of me was deep in his nineties, had some sort of combination walker and cart and was not fully aware. The checkout clerk was incredibly helpful to him - very politely scanning his credit card and signing on his behalf (she did all she could to explain to him what to do and kept asking if what she was doing was okay). This entailed helping him get out and put his credit card back in his wallet. With his bags on the end of the counter, she started to ring me up when I noticed that he could not get his bags in his cart.

So I slid down and started to load his cart for him - at which point he started given me directions in a loud (my guess his hearing isn't great) and slightly commanding voice of where to put what. As nice as I could, I try to accommodate him and loaded up his cart. He then started to shuffle off and I went back to my purchase. After paying, I saw another store employee was very nicely helping him navigate his way out of the store.

I walked away thinking about how much I complain about the decline in civility - and there is a marked decline - and how, once in awhile, the right people - the two employees in the supermarket were awesome - are involved and civility triumphs. And the guy who really, sincerely wanted me to go first was another "hey, the world still has it moments" moment.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
My dad was 95 & could no longer drive. I would take him to his favorite restaurant.
And each time he would tell me how to get there.
I could've told him that I already knew the way.
But I never did. Instead I would show appreciation that he helped me.
I felt good that he felt like he was able to help me .
I miss him every day.

And I still like to open the door for the ladies...not because they are helpless,
but because I feel good & I don't expect a thank you or anything.
Their smile if it's there, is my reward...:eek:

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We have this lady in her nineties that comes to the operas -- her late husband was himself a composer, and she keeps up with the music world -- and she's one of the sweetest people to deal with you'll ever meet. Never complains, never kicks, never fusses, and is always very kind and grateful for any help we give her. It's people like her that make up for all the whining, entitled, impatient sixtysomethings in our audience who think the world revolves around their getting evertything they want *now.*

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
It's people like her that make up for all the whining, entitled, impatient sixtysomethings in our audience who think the world revolves around their getting evertything they want *now.*

This is why, when I'm old enough to get the free tuition perk at 65, I will attend college classes for credit, work toward another degree, sweat for my "A" like everyone else, and never merely audit classes. The horror stories I have heard from my younger friends regarding seniors auditing classes way above their knowledge base, and then monopolizing a teacher's time with questions that reveal that they haven't a clue as to what's going on!

If you take a 300 level course in advanced musical theory, you're supposed to possess the basic knowledge that such a course presumes by requiring prerequisites before you sign up. It isn't Music Appreciation Part 2, and holding things back for everybody else by asking questions that a prereq would answer does a great disservice to those who actually have to pay for their schooling.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Stories about old shoppers....

Last year I was in line behind a couple in their nineties. The old man was complaining that the bananas were too green, he didn't like them at all. His wife ignored him.

"Why do you buy those bananas, I can't eat green bananas, I want blah blah to infinity"

Finally I said " be a sport and buy the green bananas. You will probably live long enough to eat them."

He laughed.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My favorite Overentitled Upper Middle Class Retiree story of the moment --

We did a survey this week of patrons asking for comments and concerns, and this one took the cake:

"All of your Metropolitan Opera broadcasts need to be scheduled to end 30 minutes sooner so that I can catch the last ferry to Islesboro."

Yes ma'am, I'm right on the horn to Peter Gelb about that. "Tell Netrebko to shake a tonsil on that last aria, there, Pete -- we got this lady here needs to catch her boat."

My favorite Overentitled Upper Middle Class Retiree story of the moment --

We did a survey this week of patrons asking for comments and concerns, and this one took the cake:

"All of your Metropolitan Opera broadcasts need to be scheduled to end 30 minutes sooner so that I can catch the last ferry to Islesboro."

Yes ma'am, I'm right on the horn to Peter Gelb about that. "Tell Netrebko to shake a tonsil on that last aria, there, Pete -- we got this lady here needs to catch her boat."

:rofl: Riiigghhttt.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
A not general decline in standards moment.

I grabbed a quart of milk for my girlfriend's coffee at the supermarket this morning (a brief Fading Fast household crisis occurred when she realized there was no milk - she is a wonderful person when she has had her morning coffee - 'nough said) and got in the express line behind a guy who had +/- 10 items (the allowed number) and he immediately offered to let me go in front when he saw I had one item. I declined, but he then persistent so nicely and enthusiastically that I did.

Then I noticed that the gentleman in front of me was deep in his nineties, had some sort of combination walker and cart and was not fully aware. The checkout clerk was incredibly helpful to him - very politely scanning his credit card and signing on his behalf (she did all she could to explain to him what to do and kept asking if what she was doing was okay). This entailed helping him get out and put his credit card back in his wallet. With his bags on the end of the counter, she started to ring me up when I noticed that he could not get his bags in his cart.

So I slid down and started to load his cart for him - at which point he started given me directions in a loud (my guess his hearing isn't great) and slightly commanding voice of where to put what. As nice as I could, I try to accommodate him and loaded up his cart. He then started to shuffle off and I went back to my purchase. After paying, I saw another store employee was very nicely helping him navigate his way out of the store.

I walked away thinking about how much I complain about the decline in civility - and there is a marked decline - and how, once in awhile, the right people - the two employees in the supermarket were awesome - are involved and civility triumphs. And the guy who really, sincerely wanted me to go first was another "hey, the world still has it moments" moment.

I have found that most young people are pretty nice, hold the door for others and say at least "thanks". It's the few that make the many look bad!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
This is why, when I'm old enough to get the free tuition perk at 65, I will attend college classes for credit, work toward another degree, sweat for my "A" like everyone else, and never merely audit classes. The horror stories I have heard from my younger friends regarding seniors auditing classes way above their knowledge base, and then monopolizing a teacher's time with questions that reveal that they haven't a clue as to what's going on!

If you take a 300 level course in advanced musical theory, you're supposed to possess the basic knowledge that such a course presumes by requiring prerequisites before you sign up. It isn't Music Appreciation Part 2, and holding things back for everybody else by asking questions that a prereq would answer does a great disservice to those who actually have to pay for their schooling.

I was lucky to go to one collage that had a lot of WWII Veterans that were hitting 65 and auditing classes. They were often over their heads, but, they still brought a lot to the classes. I had one Professor that started each semester by saying, "I don't take attendance, I don't think I have the right to ask a Veteran of Iwa Jima for a note from his mommy!"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I have found that most young people are pretty nice, hold the door for others and say at least "thanks". It's the few that make the many look bad!

We had a show last night attended almost entirely by kids from 16 to 20. Many of them walked around the theatre after the show picking up trash. If one of our sixty-plus crowds ever did this I'd fall down dead from shock -- the opera crowds, by far, are the most inconsiderate bunch of people I've ever had to deal with.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
We had a show last night attended almost entirely by kids from 16 to 20. Many of them walked around the theatre after the show picking up trash. If one of our sixty-plus crowds ever did this I'd fall down dead from shock -- the opera crowds, by far, are the most inconsiderate bunch of people I've ever had to deal with.

As a member of the sixty-plus bunch...some times it's embarrassing to bend down & not be able to get up without making a "ballet" out of it. :eek:

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's not the not-picking-up so much as it is having-the-consideration-not-to-throw-it-on-the-floor in the first place. I've seen five year olds who know better than these people do. And I won't even get into the horror they leave behind in the bathrooms.

Believe me, you don't know how genuinely vile some people can be until you deal with them in a service capacity. The more "upscale" they are, the worse the mess they leave behind.

Last edited:
They are doing their part to keep the economy afloat by creating jobs. Without their contribution the hoi polloi would have nothing to do and this country would degenerate into anarchy.
Gawd you people are so ungrateful.

:p

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
It's not the not-picking-up so much as it is having-the-consideration-not-to-throw-it-on-the-floor in the first place. I've seen five year olds who know better than these people do. And I won't even get into the horror they leave behind in the bathrooms.

Believe me, you don't know how genuinely vile some people can be until you deal with them in a service capacity. The more "upscale" they are, the worse the mess they leave behind.

In my college years, I took on several jobs. One of them was as a butler in Beverly Hills.
Believe me...I know how "vile" some people can be. And although there is no excuse for being inconsiderate...it has no age limit.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Must be all the dope there that mellows them out. Over here it is the many that make the few look bad.:doh:
Both old hippies and young punks. :laser: Fixed a few of them just now....

Which reminds me James, why do you still live there? I am quite sure, all you neighbors have moved here! Then again, most of your state has moved here, probably why the pot law made it through.

My sister cleaned houses for a number of years to supplement her income. While sharing some general observations one day, she commented that her "more intelligent" (and usually more affluent) clients were complete slobs, while her "less intelligent" (and usually less affluent) clients maintained much tidier and orderly homes. [huh]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points