Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right here, is a huge problem! Everyone wants to just do whatever they want and it can be okay. My great-aunt was with child before she was wed and her family shunned her. This would be unheard of nowadays. If you go out and get wild and crazy and do whatever you want all the time, you're 'fun' not irresponsible. Promiscuity? Who cares? You're just out having fun! Well, you're getting older and wanna get married, a little bit down the road, it's not working out? Divorce is easy now!

I know, I sound like some Puritanical Quaker, but I think that morality and common sense and respectful behavior is lacking, and very much so.

People want free choice *without* consequences, and there's no such thing.

Steven180

One of the Regulars
If you go out and get wild and crazy and do whatever you want all the time, you're 'fun' not irresponsible. Promiscuity? Who cares? You're just out having fun! Well, you're getting older and wanna get married, a little bit down the road, it's not working out? Divorce is easy now!

I know, I sound like some Puritanical Quaker, but I think that morality and common sense and respectful behavior is lacking, and very much so.

No puritanical Quaker - you're right on target! It get's worst when you actually attempt to hold people to a standard, then your the insensitive barbarian.

No attempt to bring politics into this, but let's just look at who and what sets the example out there...and unfortunately with social media, and media as a business and not a service, poor role models and valueless standards are normalized and exemplified.

M.

Yes, if you tell someone that you think what they're doing is wrong, you're judgmental, outdated, and bigoted. I guess that's the definition of morality by 21st century standards.

No puritanical Quaker - you're right on target! It get's worst when you actually attempt to hold people to a standard, then your the insensitive barbarian.

No attempt to bring politics into this, but let's just look at who and what sets the example out there...and unfortunately with social media, and media as a business and not a service, poor role models and valueless standards are normalized and exemplified.

M.

I saw an interesting sight this weekend. Driving down a residential street, I saw two young ladies walking with each other, in gym clothes, apparently excersizing. Both were on cell phones.

What ever happened to conversation between 2 people? What is this fascination with constant cell phone use?
Drives me crazy!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Yes, if you tell someone that you think what they're doing is wrong, you're judgmental, outdated, and bigoted. I guess that's the definition of morality by 21st century standards.

I think it's important to draw a difference between individuals and society. It's not my business what individuals choose to do -- it's their own affair, and as long as they stay off my lawn I stay out of their business. All I'm saying is that society would be better off if people weighed the consequences of the individual choices they make, not just as they relate to themselves, but as to how they relate to society. Because in the end, none of us are really "individuals," unless we live alone in a cave on top of a mountain drinking rainwater and eating grubs.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up

Are you suggesting that you know what's best for everyone else as far as their personal lives and that it's your duty to inform them of your conclusions?

I'm all for high quality merchandise made in America, clever advertising, bringing back the Sears of yesterday, well-mannered people who show respect for one another and themselves within the law and reason, but I love most that I live in a free country.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I think it's important to draw a difference between individuals and society. It's not my business what individuals choose to do -- it's their own affair, and as long as they stay off my lawn I stay out of their business. All I'm saying is that society would be better off if people weighed the consequences of the individual choices they make, not just as they relate to themselves, but as to how they relate to society. Because in the end, none of us are really "individuals," unless we live alone in a cave on top of a mountain drinking rainwater and eating grubs.

Lizzie, see, we agree on 99% of things!

scooter

Practically Family
Well, I think the notion that casual sex didn't exist in yesteryear, is patently flawed. People then simply took greater care to disguise their actions and observers went to some trouble to turn a blind eye.
My own mother was "with child" before wedlock, and that child turned out to be me. People have been participating in extramarital affairs and casual sex for time immemorial, they just made greater efforts to hide their behavior. I am not taking a position on the right or wrong of this behavior, I am simply stating facts. The belief that marriage is an unbreakable union is also fallacy. Women often stayed in abusive marriages in days of old, simply because they had no other option. Society stigmatized an unwed mother or a divorcee, with the unfortunate consequence of a woman being trapped in a marriage that led to her being beaten, humiliated, threatened, or many other forms of abuse. Women like my mother were trapped! I know, I lived in one of those homes until I left and joined the Marines. Women had little relative education, even fewer employment opportunities, not to mention society wanted to play "a man's home is his castle" and "what goes on behind closed doors". Again, I know, my adopted father beat me for sport in drunken rages, or simply to work out some minor irritation because I was another man's child. My current wife, was married to drunken wife beater and when she finally said enough, her family, good Catholic folks that they were, STRONGLY encouraged her to remain in the marriage and try to push through their difficulties. The difference was,back then, no one else wanted to intrude on the sanctity of our home.
The argument that people behaved differently back then just doesn't hold water. We just weren't as aware of, nor were we inclined to become involved, as some today.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Are you suggesting that you know what's best for everyone else as far as their personal lives and that it's your duty to inform them of your conclusions?

I didn't see him suggesting that at all. What I did see him pointing out is that if you happen to object to something someone is doing and actually say something, you're likely to have it thrown back in your face, be called a name, etc.

Case in point. Yesterday, my daughter and I were walking in the park. A group of young adults were sitting at a picnic table. A girl walked by and they proceeded to call her very nasty names, which the girl thankfully ignored. But my daughter heard it loud and clear. I didn't say anything to these kids largely because my daughter was with me and I had no desire to get into a shouting match and/or altercation with a bunch of disrespectful thugs.

I did talk to my daughter about it, though, and told her how disrespectful it was.

I guess my point is this: when we see things like this and we know it's wrong, should we just decide that since it's none of our business, we don't need to say and/or do anything about it? In so doing, aren't we encouraging the behavior? Because in this instance, they WERE doing something "wrong."

I remember once that there was a girl throwing rocks at a moving train close to my house. I stopped my car and rolled down my window and suggested that the girl should stop because it was dangerous not only to her, but to others in the neighborhood (one full of kids). She proceeded to tell me off and kept throwing rocks.

I'm not suggesting we become a bunch of nosy, holier-than thou's getting up in everybody's business, but there has to be some kind of check and balance at some point.

Last edited:

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I didn't see him suggesting that at all. What I did see him pointing out is that if you happen to object to something someone is doing and actually say something, you're likely to have it thrown back in your face, be called a name, etc.

Case in point. Yesterday, my daughter and I were walking in the park. A group of young adults were sitting at a picnic table. A girl walked by and they proceeded to call her very nasty names, which the girl thankfully ignored. But my daughter heard it loud and clear. I didn't say anything to these kids largely because my daughter was with me and I had no desire to get into a shouting match and/or altercation with a bunch of disrespectful thugs.

I did talk to my daughter about it, though, and told her how disrespectful it was.

I guess my point is this: when we see things like this and we know it's wrong, should we just decide that since it's none of our business, we don't need to say and/or do anything about it? In so doing, aren't we encouraging the behavior because really...those kids KNOW that no one is going to say something to them because they are intimidating.

I remember once that there was a girl throwing rocks at a moving train close to my house. I stopped my car and rolled down my window and suggested that the girl should stop because it was dangerous not only to her, but to others in the neighborhood (one full of kids). She proceeded to tell me off and kept throwing rocks.

We were discussing adults choosing to engage in premarital sex and other behaviors that others may deem unseemly and then telling them you think it's immoral, etc. That can't compare to someone breaking the law (throwing rocks at a moving train. You should call 911 to report it) and advising your daughter about what is right or wrong and stepping in to prevent harassment. Minding my own business when it comes to again, adults engaging in behaviors with which I don't agree doesn't mean I condone it or an somehow encouraging it.

...I remember once that there was a girl throwing rocks at a moving train close to my house. I stopped my car and rolled down my window and suggested that the girl should stop because it was dangerous not only to her, but to others in the neighborhood (one full of kids). She proceeded to tell me off and kept throwing rocks.

I'm not suggesting we become a bunch of nosy, holier-than thou's getting up in everybody's business, but there has to be some kind of check and balance at some point.

Bingo. Could not agree more. The only one's who don't have free speech are the ones who don't think "Anything and everything is OK" and dare speak up.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
You edited after I posted, so I want to comment on this:

Checks and balances: yes. I find that keeping myself in check and balancing my life is a full-time job, and that includes community service. I couldn't imagine having the time or interest to be a busybody. I used to be a counselor, and even in that profession ethics prevented me and others from imposing our ideas of morality onto our clients, and I agree with that. Again, I am speaking of adults engaging in legal behaviors. if I see illegal activity or something unethical in my community I speak out when I can and leave the policing to the cops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk