Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
here's another old idiot with crazy hair and a sweatshirt...

Albert-Einstein.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
One thing to note with all this longhair stuff is that in Einstein's time the long-grey-hair look was a trademark of the intellectual, especially the European intellectual. (It was especially popular with musicians -- Stokowski, Toscanini, etc.) They weren't trying to be slobs, they were trying to look professorial.

Interestingly, sweatshirts were also a symbol of the college-oriented intellectual in the 1940s, and a number of young would-be geniuses in Hollywood cultivated that style. The radio director Arch Oboler, for example, was notorious for showing up at broadcasts -- where everyone else might be in evening clothes -- in a sweatshirt.

I guess the problem with that is that you come across as a pot stirrer and most people don't like that even if they do share your opinion. You've also been pretty insulting.

Before you say we have.... I hardly think Mr. Mullet is reading our posts at the FL. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Rue..it's nothing new. He despises those that disagree with HIM so much(or those that seem to have different ideaologies) that he cares little about resorting to rude tactics to get a point across. The point is...he just doesn't like the group's opinions...therefore they are only worthy of his crudeness and little else. Putting himself in the position of victim then excuses any misbehavior on his part. A skill that he has exhibited on other forums.
HD

rue

One thing to note with all this longhair stuff is that in Einstein's time the long-grey-hair look was a trademark of the intellectual, especially the European intellectual. (It was especially popular with musicians -- Stokowski, Toscanini, etc.) They weren't trying to be slobs, they were trying to look professorial.

Interestingly, sweatshirts were also a symbol of the college-oriented intellectual in the 1940s, and a number of young would-be geniuses in Hollywood cultivated that style. The radio director Arch Oboler, for example, was notorious for showing up at broadcasts -- where everyone else might be in evening clothes -- in a sweatshirt.

That's really interesting Lizzie! It makes complete sense though.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Wow, Sheen is hot!
There are many viewpoints on this site, however I've never noticed an all out attack on one person.
Oh sure, you can find a lot of sites to get that, if you enjoy such activity, but this is not one of them.

rue

Rue..it's nothing new. He despises those that disagree with HIM so much(or those that seem to have different ideaologies) that he cares little about resorting to rude tactics to get a point across. The point is...he just doesn't like the group's opinions...therefore they are only worthy of his crudeness and little else. Putting himself in the position of victim then excuses any misbehavior on his part. A skill that he has exhibited on other forums.
HD

Ahhhh.... things have become suddenly clearer. Thanks HD :)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I love that kind of idiosyncrasy. I find it endearing!

I go Einstein with boxer shorts. I buy a dozen pairs and when they begin to wear out I pitch them all and buy another dozen; always a different color/pattern/material. When I was in my Derek Rose polka dot phase a young lady I was dating questioned my hygiene after seeing the same shorts night after night. It took a visit to my underwear drawer to quell her suspicions.:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff