Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is an invalid excuse. It is so prevalent today that the office would too quickly overflow with offenders. As the person in charge with dealing with discipline we have many alternatives which work pretty well. But with a population of 120, it is much easier maintain some sense of order.

Times sure have changed. That kind of language is distracting in a classroom atmosphere.:eusa_doh:

It's used in various ways.

Often people would lapse into vulgarity in an argument where they were frustrated in trying to get across the idea and their emotional attachment to their position. I believe that today's schooling has represented a lack in both judgement and reasoning abilities making many unable to clearly argue a point and lacking a reasonable nature simply go to vulgarity first for impact alone.

Others use it to escalate the emotional value in certain places and with certain people.

The thing is that with the social skills and judgement of a growing number of people they use it in inappropriate places with people that should not have to hear it.

As an example I'd say places you don't use profanity - religrous places such as church or temple.
Where there are a lot of children. With the judge in court, a police officer, IRS guy or the like.

Today people don't see the difference when they go on a tirade in front of the Pope or at the kindergarden class.

There was a time when one had standards of how one spoke with Grandparents, a nun, uncles and aunts, family, mom, friends as opposed to at work or at war. Now there are those that can't or won't distinguish because they feel it maybe disrepectful to expect them to restrain themselves. Now there kids are not admonished for using the language.

A friends used the term ghetto and how it was authentic speach as in keeping it real and did not see is as a loss of any kind but a simple cultural difference. Well it has spread thru cble tv and is seen as expectated now. People gravitate to the slouching side very easily.

Slouching Towards Gomorrah

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A friends used the term ghetto and how it was authentic speach as in keeping it real and did not see is as a loss of any kind but a simple cultural difference. Well it has spread thru cble tv and is seen as expectated now. People gravitate to the slouching side very easily.

Funny how most of the people I hear call it "ghetto" are the sort of weedy middle-class white kids who'd drop dead in fear if they were ever set down in an actual ghetto.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
All this is a definite decline in standards. It is either acceptable, or not worth doing something about by somebody (can you say 'parents'? I knew you could!)

Ultimately, it is all about the parents. There are so many influences on everyone these days, and so many have fallen into the 'lowest common denominator' category that it's hard to bring back any semblance of public behavior as so many of us remember it.

Everyone watches all these stupid shows on TV. It's everywhere - people being outright rude and mean, especially kids, and most adults watch it and think, 'How cute!' I find it disgusting, quite frankly.

Kids open up mouthes today with impunity whereas in 'the old' days, some adult would administer some form of discipline, and when the kid got home, s/he'd get it all over again, and worse, from a parent. Today, the parent is running around looking for someone to castigate for looking at their little darling the wrong way.

Believe me, just about everyone I know thinks I'm nuts, but when I ask what can be done to bring back a little civility and respect, I either see shrugged shoulders, or the standard line about 'we have to keep trying by talking and repeating' because we don't want to hurt the little darlings' feelings.' Well, I have news for everyone. Sometimes a little hurt feelings go a long way toward making a bad experience a learning experience.

All this is a definite decline in standards. It is either acceptable, or not worth doing something about by somebody (can you say 'parents'? I knew you could!)

Ultimately, it is all about the parents. There are so many influences on everyone these days, and so many have fallen into the 'lowest common denominator' category that it's hard to bring back any semblance of public behavior as so many of us remember it.

Everyone watches all these stupid shows on TV. It's everywhere - people being outright rude and mean, especially kids, and most adults watch it and think, 'How cute!' I find it disgusting, quite frankly.

Kids open up mouthes today with impunity whereas in 'the old' days, some adult would administer some form of discipline, and when the kid got home, s/he'd get it all over again, and worse, from a parent. Today, the parent is running around looking for someone to castigate for looking at their little darling the wrong way.

Believe me, just about everyone I know thinks I'm nuts, but when I ask what can be done to bring back a little civility and respect, I either see shrugged shoulders, or the standard line about 'we have to keep trying by talking and repeating' because we don't want to hurt the little darlings' feelings.' Well, I have news for everyone. Sometimes a little hurt feelings go a long way toward making a bad experience a learning experience.

Stop swearing and acting foolish:
spanking2.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't mind if a kindergarten (or elementary art teacher) wore jeans. For a female kindergarten teacher I'd rather have them in jeans than stilettos. (I knew a teacher that wore both and she really thought herself too good to interact physically with her kids, because heaven forbid she damage her heels.) The clothing that some teachers wear, however, isn't appropriate to wear out in public. I'm more disturbed by inappropriately casual clothing around older kids, than kids under 8 or so. When you're teaching kids under 8 it's often messy and I can see where jeans could facilitate outdoor activities, art, etc. Although inappropriately sexually clothing at any point is ridiculous.

Agree. I teach elementary, and although I usually wear a either a suit, or at least a tie and dress shirt, I can see where teaching in "comfortable" clothing makes sense. On the two ends of the spectrum, I've seen female teachers in super-short dresses more suitable for a cocktail party (complete with stilettos or platforms), and male teachers with wrinkled trousers, t-shirts, and scraggly beards. When one of my students recently asked me why I always "dress up," I simply answered her, "Because I'm a teacher."

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
That is a non-excuse to me. Send them to the office with a referral. (if they still have those things today). :p

When I was substituting many years ago, I made the mistake of accepting a high school job. When one of the "jocks" said something vulgar in Armenian (even though he wasn't that ethnicity), I told him, "I know what that means. Go to the office." (My home town is Glendale, which is now the Armenian capital of the USA. In fact, I'm there as I type this, listening to someone converse in that language...) One of the secretaries called me and asked why he was over there. I informed her of the reason, and she asked me to fill out a referral. I did so, and the offending student stayed in the office. What happened to him after that, I don't know, but the lesson is don't assume that a person doesn't know what you're saying in a certain language, just because he isn't of that background...

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
There was a time when one had standards of how one spoke with Grandparents, a nun, uncles and aunts, family, mom, friends as opposed to at work or at war. Now there are those that can't or won't distinguish because they feel it maybe disrepectful to expect them to restrain themselves. Now there kids are not admonished for using the language.

A friends used the term ghetto and how it was authentic speach as in keeping it real and did not see is as a loss of any kind but a simple cultural difference. Well it has spread thru cble tv and is seen as expected now. People gravitate to the slouching side very easily.

You and I are old enough to remember when certain words were rarely ever heard in public, something that people under 45 would likely find hard to believe. Regarding "ghetto," that is an Italian word that was used to label the areas that Jewish people were forced to live in. Interesting how it has evolved...

When I was substituting many years ago, I made the mistake of accepting a high school job. When one of the "jocks" said something vulgar in Armenian (even though he wasn't that ethnicity), I told him, "I know what that means. Go to the office." (My home town is Glendale, which is now the Armenian capital of the USA. In fact, I'm there as I type this, listening to someone converse in that language...) One of the secretaries called me and asked why he was over there. I informed her of the reason, and she asked me to fill out a referral. I did so, and the offending student stayed in the office. What happened to him after that, I don't know, but the lesson is don't assume that a person doesn't know what you're saying in a certain language, just because he isn't of that background...

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clapGood for you! I am glad the referral is still alive and well. :D

Agree. I teach elementary, and although I usually wear a either a suit, or at least a tie and dress shirt, I can see where teaching in "comfortable" clothing makes sense. On the two ends of the spectrum, I've seen female teachers in super-short dresses more suitable for a cocktail party (complete with stilettos or platforms), and male teachers with wrinkled trousers, t-shirts, and scraggly beards. When one of my students recently asked me why I always "dress up," I simply answered her, "Because I'm a teacher."

Good answer!
Comfortable clothing is for the gym teacher. :p

Edward

Bartender
Parents - remember how you raise your kids as they will be the ones selecting your old folks home or hospice.

Ha! Another reason I've avoided parenthood. If I can't afford a resthome or any one of a list of medical factors hit me, I'll just jump on the first plane to Dignitas. ;)

Seen the equivalent happen at tertiary level. Always fun to be had at their faces when they realise you understood what they said.... ;)

Good answer!
Comfortable clothing is for the gym teacher. :p

The teachers I remember looking down on when I was at school were those who dressed like unruly children, and games teachers (often one and the same). A games teacher once tried to break me. I won. He never tried again. I still believe he felt threatened by those of us with intelligence.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
...When one of my students recently asked me why I always "dress up," I simply answered her, "Because I'm a teacher."

It's nice to see teachers that take their work seriously and understand the influence they can have on students. One of my best friends is a teacher and he often laments how lazy, careless and incompetent a lot of teachers are these days. He has a passion for teaching, and it irks him when a lot of teachers do the absolute bare minimum to squeak by instead of doing their best every day.

I salute you, sir.

HoundstoothLuke

Familiar Face
The teachers I remember looking down on when I was at school were those who dressed like unruly children, and games teachers (often one and the same). A games teacher once tried to break me. I won. He never tried again. I still believe he felt threatened by those of us with intelligence.

Isn't being dim-witted and aggressive the job requirement for a games teacher? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy