Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

fashion frank

One Too Many
Sounds like the precusor to Burning Man. :p

I've seen a couple clips of what goes on at Burning Man ,and all I can say is no thank you .
Somebody call up 1968 and tell them they can have there Burning Man back !

The one good thing that I can say however is from what I understand the hippies leave the place as clean as when they found it .

All the Best ,Fashion Frankl

vintage68

Practically Family
Do they get much of that at Burning Man? I've never been but, with it taking place in the Nevada desert, I was under the impression it was far more "hot, dry, and dusty" than "wet and muddy". [huh]

It can be both. This year it rained right as it was getting underway, so it was a muddy mess. Then it heated up and it turned hot, dry, and dusty. I didn't go, but I live in Reno so I watched all the reports on the news....

I've seen a couple clips of what goes on at Burning Man, and all I can say is no thank you...The one good thing that I can say however is from what I understand the hippies leave the place as clean as when they found it.
True. The organizers have an entire staff that inspects every square foot of land that was occupied during the event to make sure they leave nothing behind except for footprints and tire tracks. On the one hand, it shows they have respect for the land. On the other, I'm sure the local authorities wouldn't allow them to hold the event year after year if they left it looking like a landfill, so their conscientiousness makes everybody happy.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
This reminds me of the only truly memorable PE class I experienced. High school on an overcast day, and a bunch of us decided to play football. Not because we cared about football, mind you, but with the lack of supervision it was an easy way to goof off for 45 minutes. We weren't on the field for five minutes before it started pouring down rain, and within 10 minutes the field had become a soggy mess. One of the guys slipped and fell face-first into the mud, and that was all it took to turn that PE session into a "who can wear the most mud" contest. Needless to say, the instructors weren't pleased with us when we tracked a good deal of that mud into the locker room, and they were less pleased when we all walked into the showers still dressed in our PE gear to wash the mud off, because we'd brought so much of it in with us that it clogged the shower drains and caused a minor flood. We spent the next three days running laps, but it was worth it.

Your PE teachers sound like mine were here in the UK. If we misbehaved in PE/PT lessons at secondary school we had to run around the playing fields, these covered around 9 - 10 acres and we would already have run one lap as a warming up exercise. So to then having to run around another 4 or 5 times was a real pain. Especially if we had to do it in our own time after school. Sometimes we had to write lines instead, I am not sure which was worse.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I thought of this thread the second I saw it! Lets face it, whether we want to admit ti or not, most of us have never had it so good!
cavemen_2a_zps03192e03.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Just think of what they missed out on by not living past thirty -- arthritis, glaucoma, sciatica, presbyopia, hypertension, hypotension, arteriosclerosis, and excessive adiposity. To say nothing of being trundled off to a nursing home so vulture-like relatives could get thier greasy hooks into their possessions.

Foxer55

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine,

To say nothing of being trundled off to a nursing home so vulture-like relatives could get thier greasy hooks into their possessions.

You mean like in "Zorba the Greek" where all the shriveled and besmocked old ladies ran into the dead actresses room and stripped everything bare including her body after she died?

Just think of what they missed out on by not living past thirty -- arthritis, glaucoma, sciatica, presbyopia, hypertension, hypotension, arteriosclerosis, and excessive adiposity. To say nothing of being trundled off to a nursing home so vulture-like relatives could get thier greasy hooks into their possessions.

Like grandpa used to say: "Son, the only thing good about living to be old is that you didn't die young." :p

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

Man, your family sure hit the jack pot when it comes to illness! Neither my Grandparents nor my parents suffered from more than arthritis and Asthma. And all died with their loved ones around them. No wonder you are a pessimist. Even with all my close calls, and the latest cat in the basement fiasco, I am still a glass half full guy! If you didn't see your name in the obituaries this morning, it's going to be a good day!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Here's a ripe one. We're running a series of announcements on the state university-run public radio network for upcoming Metropolitan Opera screenings, and I just get an email from them asking how to pronounce "Les Contes d'Hoffman," "Cavalleria Rusticana," and "Pagliacci."

It'd be somewhat less sad if the network *didn't actually carry the Met radio broadcasts themselves.* Somewhere the ghost of Milton Cross is weeping.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Here's a ripe one. We're running a series of announcements on the state university-run public radio network for upcoming Metropolitan Opera screenings...

The Lyric here in Chicago presents Puccini's Tosca this month. I missed Madama Butterfly, so thanks for a reminder .:)

...The January 7th Wall Street Journal has an interesting article on Maine's public university system and fallen enrollment. :(

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Lyric here in Chicago presents Puccini's Tosca this month. I missed Madama Butterfly, so thanks for a reminder .:)

...The January 7th Wall Street Journal has an interesting article on Maine's public university system and fallen enrollment. :(

Yeah, it's a real mess right now. But hey, we're rated the third highest in the nation for drug addiction!

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Here's a ripe one. We're running a series of announcements on the state university-run public radio network for upcoming Metropolitan Opera screenings, and I just get an email from them asking how to pronounce "Les Contes d'Hoffman," "Cavalleria Rusticana," and "Pagliacci."

It'd be somewhat less sad if the network *didn't actually carry the Met radio broadcasts themselves.* Somewhere the ghost of Milton Cross is weeping.

I wouldn't be too upset 1) if the questioner was young, it being a university station could be forgiven for not being an opera fan and 2) they are taking the trouble to get the pronunciation right, not just reading it wrong like most of them.

From Some Like It Hot:

Detective, questioning gangster: Where were you the night Big Mike was killed?

Gangster: I went to see Rigoletto

Detective: Who is he, one of your hoodlum pals?

Gangster: It's an Italian opera you peasant.

Detective, turning to the gangster's companion: Where were you that night?

Hoodlum: I was wit' him, at Rigaletta's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails