Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Glove

LordBest

Practically Family
scotrace said:
Deerskin, once soiled, is extremely hard to clean.
Indeed? I will probably go for hogskin then, I would hate to see such nice gloves ruined by an unfortunate stain. Thank you.

I have some very beaten up work gloves that were suede out leather for gardening, construction and demolition around the house, now lost some wheres in the garage I think. I like the roper gloves but always wind up accidently pulling the strap off the back at some point.

I keep a pair of the military green nomex & leather pilot's gloves in the truck for when it's really chilly out. They make nice driving gloves.

I am one of those people that if the glove fits across my palms the fingers are usually too long.

My dad always said when he looked at my hands and wrists that they were shaped exactly like his father's hands and wrists.

Suitable

New in Town
Chester Jefferies is my favourite source for gloves. Have them custom made; there's no extra charge. Hint: Rather than measuring your own fingers, trace your hands (with your fingers spread wide) on two sheets of paper and mail them the tracings with your contact info. They will take the measurements themselves and use them when you place an order.

Suitable

New in Town
Edward said:
One question re gloves for formal wear: what was the appropriate choice to go with black tie? Would black leather be the option (removing them once indoors), or were white glvoes ever worn? I thought about white cotton, but it looked a bit 'cheap conjurer' to my eye. :rolleyes:

White tie requires white gloves, even indoors. Traditionally black tie is worn without gloves indoors, but I do like gloves and will sometimes wear white ones with black tie. Outdoors you would preferably wear black but could wear white. I do agree that leather is a much better choice than cotton.

Suitable

New in Town
Mittens are indeed much warmer, as they reduce the area of the exposed surface of the hands. It's a pity that they look bulky and inelegant when worn with a suit and an overcoat. I tend to wear fur-lined leather gloves with a suit but otherwise reach for my mittens in the cold Canadian winter.

Edward

Bartender
Suitable said:
White tie requires white gloves, even indoors. Traditionally black tie is worn without gloves indoors, but I do like gloves and will sometimes wear white ones with black tie. Outdoors you would preferably wear black but could wear white. I do agree that leather is a much better choice than cotton.

The cotton white gloves are a constant with my white tie, with black tie I was neve quite sure what was "correct." I do tend towards black leather gloves outside (weather permitting) with black tie, so that sounds good - I'm on the right track. :) Thanks

H.Johnson

One Too Many
French Army parade gloves are a bargain - well-made, white leather (good for Masonics) and less than 10 euros if you know where to look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic